Ranong opens new permanent border checkpoint with Myanmar

RANONG, 9 April 2014 (NNT) – The southern province of Ranong has a new border checkpoint, expected to boost tourism and trade with Myanmar.

The Ranong-Kaw Thaung checkpoint was opened on Monday February 10th of this year. It is the fourth permanent checkpoint between Ranong and cities in Myanmar.

According to the Ranong Provincial Governor, Cherdsak Jampates, the new border checkpoint is intended to boost trade, investment, and tourism ties with Myanmar and serve as a stepping stone in the preparation for the integration of the ASEAN Economic Community.

Statistically, Ranong’s trade value last year reached 24 billion baht, which is a 12 percent growth when compared with the same period in each of the last two years.

• Like 1

So where is this new checkpoint and how does it differ from the existng 'sit-in-a-small-wooden-boat-whilst-crossing-the-choppy-sea-between-Ranong-and-Kawthaung' checkpoint that has been used for yonks between Ranong and Kawthaung?

Perhaps they are going to build a new friendship bridge???

Edited by simon43
  • Like 2

So where is this new checkpoint and how does it differ from the existng 'sit-in-a-small-wooden-boat-whilst-crossing-the-choppy-sea-between-Ranong-and-Kawthaung' checkpoint that has been used for yonks between Ranong and Kawthaung?

Perhaps they are going to build a new friendship bridge???

I would also like some clarification. As Simon states, Ranong - Kawthaung has been an official crossing point for a long time, used for visa runs, and it also being possible to stay in Myanmar for a few days. Where exactly is this new checkpoint?

what it means is that since a few months one can actually enter myanmar there with a proper visa, whereas before, this was virtually impossible, although some people - including me - had done it.

so, one can show up in kawthoung with visa in passport, travel to wherever in myanmar, and leave the country at another border (land) or flying out.

• Like 1

So to use this crossing you must have obtained a Myanmar visa prior to using it.

Sorry, but no you do not.... there is a way you can enter for 1 week without a proper tourist visa... but you do have to take a guide and leave your passport at the entry office..

So to use this crossing you must have obtained a Myanmar visa prior to using it.

If this would be the case, the numerous visa runners using this crossing would need to acquire a Myanmar visa first. Even if they don't really set foot in Myanmar, they do officially enter the country. And for a long time it has been possible to enter Myanmar through this crossing without visa, spending a few hours or even a night or two in Kawthaung (without guide) , and go back to Thailand using the same crossing. Has this changed/will this change?

Edited by keestha

If this crossing is the same one and has only been upgraded to a permanent check point then nothing will change.

You pay 500 baht to get a border entry get stamped into Myanmar turn around and get stamped out and re-enter Thailand.

Visas are only needed if you are going to leave the area adjacent to the crossing point.

• Like 2

Sorry, but no you do not.... there is a way you can enter for 1 week without a proper tourist visa... but you do have to take a guide and leave your passport at the entry office..

2 weeks. you can stay in the kawthoung area up to 2 weeks w/out visa.

Edited by stickylies

If this crossing is the same one and has only been upgraded to a permanent check point then nothing will change.

You pay 500 baht to get a border entry get stamped into Myanmar turn around and get stamped out and re-enter Thailand.

Visas are only needed if you are going to leave the area adjacent to the crossing point.

its a crisp clean $10 bill not 500 baht

they stamp you in and out at the same time if your only doing a re entry at Kawthaung

I didn't mention the other option of $10. I think it is 500 baht or $10. I don't think everybody has to go looking for a new crisp $10 bill.

Ubon joe

You work hard on this forum for George and I respect your knowledge and input. However, your advice on this matter is flawed. It is VERY easy to change some US dollars in Phuket (at NC money changers for example) and not get ripped off by the dodgy THB price at border crossings.

There is no better example than Laos. For an Australia the fee for the Laos VOA is 30 USD, whereas if you don't have USD they charge 1500THB. So there is a skim of 530THB, more than 30%.

• Like 1

I didn't mention the other option of $10. I think it is 500 baht or $10. I don't think everybody has to go looking for a new crisp $10 bill.

Ubon joe

You work hard on this forum for George and I respect your knowledge and input. However, your advice on this matter is flawed. It is VERY easy to change some US dollars in Phuket (at NC money changers for example) and not get ripped off by the dodgy THB price at border crossings.

There is no better example than Laos. For an Australia the fee for the Laos VOA is 30 USD, whereas if you don't have USD they charge 1500THB. So there is a skim of 530THB, more than 30%.

I was making a response to a post that failed to mention that paying in baht was an option.

Not everybody lives somewhere where it is easy to get dollars. Especially in lower denominations. I tried to get $160 to pay some embassy fees here in Ubon and found it not worth the effort after trying 3 bank branches at the mall here.

Many people would not be overly concerned about saving a few baht for one border run.

The differences at the Lao border is s different story. It is the Lao government using an old exchange rate because they just haven't bothered changing the fees. If you check the Lao embassy website you will find the same fee structure.

Ubon joe

I was making a response to a post that failed to mention that paying in baht was an option.

Not everybody lives somewhere where it is easy to get dollars. Especially in lower denominations. I tried to get $160 to pay some embassy fees here in Ubon and found it not worth the effort after trying 3 bank branches at the mall here.

Many people would not be overly concerned about saving a few baht for one border run.

The differences at the Lao border is s different story. It is the Lao government using an old exchange rate because they just haven't bothered changing the fees. If you check the Lao embassy website you will find the same fee structure.

With respect Joe, your logic is still flawed. If someone like yourself cannot get dollars in their village, then they can easily obtain them in the village at the Thai side of the border crossing. For example in Nong Khai one can easily obtain dollars from the chinese owners of the jewellry shop in the Indo Chine markets.

But this thread is about Ranong and the bulk of the visa runners to that border come from Phuket. It is simple and easy to get USD in Phuket. And, at money changers like NC the fee is very small and reasonable...and better than you will get at any bank on the island.

And...in my humble experience, those people that do land crossings are usually on a very tight budget and even a saving of a few baht is important. More over, if the border at Ranong charges $10 Us or 500 THB they too are skimming more than 30 percent off the conversion. A rip off is still a rip off and a pig is still a pig even if it has lipstick on...

Ubon joe

With respect Joe, your logic is still flawed. If someone like yourself cannot get dollars in their village, then they can easily obtain them in the village at the Thai side of the border crossing. For example in Nong Khai one can easily obtain dollars from the chinese owners of the jewellry shop in the Indo Chine markets.

But this thread is about Ranong and the bulk of the visa runners to that border come from Phuket. It is simple and easy to get USD in Phuket. And, at money changers like NC the fee is very small and reasonable...and better than you will get at any bank on the island.

And...in my humble experience, those people that do land crossings are usually on a very tight budget and even a saving of a few baht is important. More over, if the border at Ranong charges $10 Us or 500 THB they too are skimming more than 30 percent off the conversion. A rip off is still a rip off and a pig is still a pig even if it has lipstick on...

Mueng Ubon Ratchaithani is certainly not a village by any means. I could of waited and gone to one of the main bank offices to do it but it just was not worth the effort for the small I would of saved.

I suspect you might be surprised to find out that there are many people using the Ranong crossing are not all coming from large cities.

At today's exchange rate It would take about 326 baht to get $10 which is only a 174 baht difference. If that is budget buster for somebody then they are in a poor financial situation..

How much was the Lao visa..I thought it was 2500 baht. ? My friend said it was a rip..1500? Its been a while. Thanks..be nice...alohz

It has been 1500 baht for for over 12 years (my experience) for those from most countries.

• Like 1