Director removed over Thai school marching band scandal

webfact

Director removed over school band scandal
SUPINDA NA MAHACHAI
THE NATION

30231217-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- PATCHARAPONG Tri-tepha is being transferred from his post as director of Satriwitthaya 2 School in the wake of a scandal involving the school's marching band.

Sajja Srijarern, who heads Bangkok's Secondary Educational Service Area Office II, signed the transfer order yesterday with immediate effect. Patcharapong has until Friday tomorrow to report to Sajja's office to take up his new assignment.

"The transfer is necessary to facilitate investigation into the scandal," Sajja explained, adding that Patcharapong would be given his old job back if his name is cleared.

But Manop Kaew-ngarm, director of the Satriwitthaya 2 Alumni Association, said: "I don't think he can come back. I can tell you that parents and local people are unhappy with him and will protest if he returns."

Patcharapong plunged into hot water after some members of the school's marching band decided to camp out overnight at Ichitan Group chairman Tan Passakornnatee's business premises to pressure him into lending them Bt3.1 million so they could participate in a contest in the Netherlands. The band apparently spent the entire sum on the trip.

Also, a widely circulated audio clip reveals Patcharapong giving pointers to some band members on how to get funding before they headed for Tan's offices. Patcharapong has to date maintained that he never mentioned Tan's name during the discussion.

"No matter how the investigation concludes, Patcharapong should not return as director of the school again," alumni representative Kanninar Pattanaphiradej said yesterday.

She also accused him of being unethical and tainting the school's reputation.

At least 300 alumni have signed a petition seeking to have Patcharapong removed from the helm of Satriwitthaya 2 School.

Sajja said available information suggested that conflicts at the school would worsen if Patcharapong were not immediately removed.

"I have spoken to many students there and will be inviting the school's board, alumni, teachers and parents to provide information," he said, adding that Patcharapong would face a disciplinary probe if found guilty.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-10

1 down, 3000 other school directors to go. coffee1.gif

It's a good start. Perhaps the word "consequences" might start to have some meaning in Thailand...!!

BTW, how come everyone in Thailand, in any position of authority at all, gets to dress up like the UK's Admiral of the Fleet...?!

Don't forget all the rows of medal ribbons that have never been earned but came with a second uniform and are never removed.

In some jurisdictions it's an offence to wear medals to which the wearer isn't entitled BUT TIT !

Maybe another inactive post? Soon be more inactive, than active! Another example of Thainess.

Why another "transfer" to an "inactive" post? Why do these people get jobs for life? In the UK with a scandal like this he'd have got the sack and that's that. Simple.

With reference to the uniform picture, I got a few too . . . last time I had pics done for Immigration at one of the photo shops I did a whole suite of them superimposing my head onto different business suits and "outfits" so now I too look like an Admiral.

• Like 1

It's a good start. Perhaps the word "consequences" might start to have some meaning in Thailand...!!

BTW, how come everyone in Thailand, in any position of authority at all, gets to dress up like the UK's Admiral of the Fleet...?!

Official civil service uniform. I guess the armed forces got one so the desk jockeys wanted one too

Is that a school teachers uniform he's wearing?

MANY such fools in Thailand... not only in schools, but EVERYWHERE there is some rank between "employees" -- kinda show off and bragging all over the place.... these people are really SIC !!

Having taught for years at these government schools, I can say, with %100 certainty, corruption is endemic. In the end, the kids lose out. Hello ASEAN!! whistling.gif

Unfortunately that corruption thingy is ALL AROUND, not only in schools. It's 'part of the culture'.... wai2.gif

TH = Hub of corruption

300 alumni very concerned about the school and its reputation. Signing petitions to remove directors.

Hmm, wonder how much they were prepared to fund this trip to further the schools reputation? Don't get me wrong, what the band did was wrong, but.......

300 alumni very concerned about the school and its reputation. Signing petitions to remove directors.

Hmm, wonder how much they were prepared to fund this trip to further the schools reputation? Don't get me wrong, what the band did was wrong, but.......

How they did it was wrong. But schools solicit donations from businesses all the time.

Of course , doing it as publicly as this is extremely cheap and gave the guy no option but to say yes.

• Like 1

Yeah, they sure love their uniforms and medals, just like Prince Charles and the old Duke.

"No matter how the investigation concludes, Patcharapong should not return as director of the school again,"

This is Thailand. Sound familiar?

"No matter if Thaksin is guilty or innocent, he should not return to Thailand again,"

Patcharapong plunged into hot water after some members of the school's marching band decided to camp out overnight at Ichitan Group chairman Tan Passakornnatee's business premises to pressure him into lending them Bt3.1 million so they could participate in a contest in the Netherlands. The band apparently spent the entire sum on the trip.

If Patcharapong wants his old job back, he should repay the "loan" himself.

For bonus karma, he should work a minimum-wage job full-time to earn the money. Let's see - Bt3.1 Million divided by 10,000 Baht a month ...

He would need to work for 26 years to pay back Khun Ichitan smile.png

There is something about this that does not pass the smell test. I will assume that these are high school students.

Why did the students choose Khun Tan to target?

It was reported that the students asked for a "loan." This is absurd on its face.

Why did Khun Tan not contact the school director when the students showed up at his office?

If he did not want to give them the money, he certainly did not have to.

Nothing seems to have been reported until after the students, while school is in session, all get on a plane to Europe. Really?

Is there a rule somewhere that says that students can not raise money for projects from the private sector? This is very common in many countries.

None of the parents of the students of the students knew anything about what they were planning to do? Really?

I think the reporting has been very bad.