Where to buy swimming pool supplies?

mike123ca

The same independent "water pump shop" that sells and installs water pumps, water tanks and chemicals to "village water systems" is a good place for all manner of swimming pool chemicals at a fraction of the cost of a swimming pool shop. Every province has one or two "go to" water pump shops that do a serious business in chemicals for water treatment. The cost savings is significant on chlorine and all manner of swimming pool chemicals at such shops. I paid dearly for swimming pool chemicals from a famous Bangkok Swimming Pool company prior to realizing the water pump shop in Buriram had every swimming pool chemical for one third to one ninth what I was previously paying. Ubon Ratchathani certainly must have one or more similar shops. Perhaps the same shop that supplies the water pumps and water treatment for the larger Ubon Ratchathani Government hospitals.

Search JD Pools

They're located on the road to Amnat, and the address is:

J.D. Pools Ubon Ratchathani Address : 222 Moo 4, Khamyai, Muang, Ubon Ratchathani 34000 Tel : 045-280808, 045-284252 Fax : 045-283700 E-mail : [email protected]

I checked the price for 50kg of chlorine tablets, but found it expensive, so instead to a trip to Pool Mart in Thepprasit/Jomtien, and had a few days at the beach as well........whistling.gif

The price I have paid in 2014, including VAT, including free "local delivery" (the Ruangsangthai water pump shop truck was already going to our small town in Buriram Province on a larger delivery, and it was not a direct immediate same day delivery, but rather it was a couple of days after I placed the order) for swimming pool supplies is:

2) CHLORINE TABLET 30kg is 3850 baht
3) CHLORINE TABLET 50kg is 5990 baht
4. SODIUM BISULFATE / 25 KG @ 1,250.-
(from GERMANY) (1 BAG)
5) Trichlorisocyanuric acid Granular Chlorine 90% 50 kg 4790 Trichloroisocyanuric acid is an organic compound with the formula (C3Cl3N3O3).
6) Calcium Hydrochlorite 70-75% 40 kg 2790 baht
Perhaps the similar swimming pool chemical supply shops and water pump shops in other provinces charge similar or lower prices for swimming pool chemicals than I pay in Buriram including VAT and delivery to my home.

Chlorine powder: - Do Home Watsadu, Warin - 50kg tub of Japanese powder (better than Chinese) - about 5,000 baht if they have one left and you can find it - at the back.

Liquid Hydrochloric Acid: to reduce pH (much cheaper than dry acid "pH minus", if you can cope with having and handling pretty dangerous chemicals). I have been unable to find it in Ubon (since said above watsadu stopped stocking it about 6 months ago) or Sisaket provinces, despite all the exhortations you get from people in other parts of Thailand that there are local pump supply shops that do this stuff. I have been looking for said type of shop for 6 months without success. There is one of that ilk in Buriram that I use for HCL, but I only just stocked up last week, otherwise I would get you some. 300 baht a 20kg carboy. Swimming Pools Thailand does HCL carboys at about 650 baht (min order 2). ThaiV member "Wormfarmer" knows a supplier in Roi-Et who supplies similar at 400-500 baht (can't remember exactly what he said). You could PM him for details if you were going that way.

Sodium Bicorbonate: for raising total alkalinity - small sachets at 12 baht for 300g in Makro. If you had a problem with TA levels (I did when I was manually dosing with chlorine powder - now I have switched to salt conversion for my chlorine) you might need to buy a big sack. I think Pool Doctor in Bangkok has them at about 850 and think they can arrange mail order delivery

Soda Ash to reduce pH (much cheaper than packaged pH+): I have only once needed it - my pool heavily tends to the alkaline so I need acid, not the converse. Have a 40kg sack, so happy to provide 5kg pretty cheap - see below

Any smaller quantities of chlorine or fast acting stuff for shocking your pool plus pre-packaged pH+ and pH- plus algaecides (if you get an algae problem) - JD Pools, but expensive. Better to order online from Swimming Pool Thailands if you can plan your usage. Stuff arrives in a matter of a few days; Google for their excellent website. Use them for simple pool testing kits and digital meters too (some testing kits stuff I have ended up bringing in myself form the UK (eg chemical test tablets for a digital reader). JD Pools Ubon branch is on the Amnat Charoen road out of Ubon, about 2 km north of the ring road and 750 metres beyond the huge Toyota dealership. Stuff is expensive there (but not as expensive as at Joyeaux Pools which is inside the ring road on the same Amnat Road, roughly opposite the Big C - avoid unless you want to buy a natty pre-built French pool).

Just for completeness in case anyone else comes looking Pool Salt: I buy direct at the TRS factory in Korat in one tonne loads, so can usually pass on a few sacks at a price substantially cheaper than the 200 baht charged by JD pools (per 25kg sack). See thread on that subject in Swimming Pool forum which is still fairly current. You might get a tonne delivered cheap if you wait until someone else in the area needs a similar load or yo will get 2 tonnes delivered cheap from the factory. Phone the TRS factory sales office on their website (use a Thai speaker)

You, I and Bergen are the only farang I know of who operate pools in this part of Lower Isaan (Ubon, Sisaket, Yasothon, Amnat) so we should keep in touch over pool needs/support. I would be happy to buy extra and arrange to share whenever I need a bulk purchase and I'm usually happy to buy and keep stock in advance surplus to next 6 month needs. I live 85km from Ubon town but travel up to town at least twice a month. Both Bergen and I are going to Pattaya on May 1st to 5th ish in my SUV - can drop by a good pool shop in Pattaya for your needs, but I'm off to the UK for 3 weeks on May 7th and I don't do acid without the family pickup - its $hitty stuff to transport!

Sorry if I repeated any of previous posters - just thought it easier (for me) to do a brain dump, since (as u can c) pool supplies in our neck of the woods is close to my heart! Edit: - just seen Kamlabob's excellent posting - that's the same Buriram supplier I used for Acid - on his recommendation.

Edited by SantiSuk

• 1 year later...

I went to the Buriram Water Pump shop today to buy some Zeobrite filter media and the owner who speaks English, Mr. Pichai, told me he now stocks TRS Swimming Pool Salt at his Buriram store. Mr. Pichai told me he will deliver the swimming pool salt at no extra charge in most parts of Buriram Province and some parts of Surin province if it is part of a larger order of goods. He has never sold Zeolite or swimming pool salt until a local sports team and a prominent hotel owner both offered to buy a large quantity on a monthly basis. The price for swimming pool salt is 139 baht a 25 kilo bag in Buriram. The Zeobrite I bought was under 700 baht per 15 kilo bag. The swimming pool salt might be cheaper if you drive to the Salt factory in Korat up near PiMai and buy a large amount.

post-20604-0-22012000-1429718251_thumb.j

post-20604-0-35444700-1429718271_thumb.j

Minimum quantity to purchase and pick-up direct from the TRS factory in Pimai is 1 tonne (40 bags) which is a full load for a pick-up, unless you are Thai or don't care for your suspension. I found our Vigo to be clearly fully loaded with one driver, no passengers, a tonne of salt, 100kg of worm compost from TVF's Wormfarmer and 100kg of Hydrochloric Acid from Buriram water pump shop - indeed I had to load up the seats to get a weight distribution that made it a safe drive! Price for 1 tonne is about 90 baht a bag. 1 tonne lasts me about a year with a large 90cu.m pool that is open to rainy season dilution.

The Buriram price is a good one and most people in Meuang Buriram or east of Buriram would probably find it cheaper to buy at 139 baht, rather than pay for the diesel and time to pick up.

East of Buriram the only TRS salt supplies I know of are at JD Pools in Ubon where the price is 200 baht a bag - ouch!

Info correct as of March last year. It was an interesting experience going to the factory and mixing it with the 20 wheelers in your basic Vigo at what is a very impressive and modern installation.

Thanks for the Buriram info Kamlabob

• 1 year later...
Chlorine powder: - Do Home Watsadu, Warin - 50kg tub of Japanese powder (better than Chinese) - about 5,000 baht if they have one left and you can find it - at the back.

Liquid Hydrochloric Acid: to reduce pH (much cheaper than dry acid "pH minus", if you can cope with having and handling pretty dangerous chemicals). I have been unable to find it in Ubon (since said above watsadu stopped stocking it about 6 months ago) or Sisaket provinces, despite all the exhortations you get from people in other parts of Thailand that there are local pump supply shops that do this stuff. I have been looking for said type of shop for 6 months without success. There is one of that ilk in Buriram that I use for HCL, but I only just stocked up last week, otherwise I would get you some. 300 baht a 20kg carboy. Swimming Pools Thailand does HCL carboys at about 650 baht (min order 2). ThaiV member "Wormfarmer" knows a supplier in Roi-Et who supplies similar at 400-500 baht (can't remember exactly what he said). You could PM him for details if you were going that way.

Sodium Bicorbonate: for raising total alkalinity - small sachets at 12 baht for 300g in Makro. If you had a problem with TA levels (I did when I was manually dosing with chlorine powder - now I have switched to salt conversion for my chlorine) you might need to buy a big sack. I think Pool Doctor in Bangkok has them at about 850 and think they can arrange mail order delivery

Soda Ash to reduce pH (much cheaper than packaged pH+): I have only once needed it - my pool heavily tends to the alkaline so I need acid, not the converse. Have a 40kg sack, so happy to provide 5kg pretty cheap - see below

Any smaller quantities of chlorine or fast acting stuff for shocking your pool plus pre-packaged pH+ and pH- plus algaecides (if you get an algae problem) - JD Pools, but expensive. Better to order online from Swimming Pool Thailands if you can plan your usage. Stuff arrives in a matter of a few days; Google for their excellent website. Use them for simple pool testing kits and digital meters too (some testing kits stuff I have ended up bringing in myself form the UK (eg chemical test tablets for a digital reader). JD Pools Ubon branch is on the Amnat Charoen road out of Ubon, about 2 km north of the ring road and 750 metres beyond the huge Toyota dealership. Stuff is expensive there (but not as expensive as at Joyeaux Pools which is inside the ring road on the same Amnat Road, roughly opposite the Big C - avoid unless you want to buy a natty pre-built French pool).
Just for completeness in case anyone else comes looking Pool Salt: I buy direct at the TRS factory in Korat in one tonne loads, so can usually pass on a few sacks at a price substantially cheaper than the 200 baht charged by JD pools (per 25kg sack). See thread on that subject in Swimming Pool forum which is still fairly current. You might get a tonne delivered cheap if you wait until someone else in the area needs a similar load or yo will get 2 tonnes delivered cheap from the factory. Phone the TRS factory sales office on their website (use a Thai speaker)
You, I and Bergen are the only farang I know of who operate pools in this part of Lower Isaan (Ubon, Sisaket, Yasothon, Amnat) so we should keep in touch over pool needs/support. I would be happy to buy extra and arrange to share whenever I need a bulk purchase and I'm usually happy to buy and keep stock in advance surplus to next 6 month needs. I live 85km from Ubon town but travel up to town at least twice a month. Both Bergen and I are going to Pattaya on May 1st to 5th ish in my SUV - can drop by a good pool shop in Pattaya for your needs, but I'm off to the UK for 3 weeks on May 7th and I don't do acid without the family pickup - its $hitty stuff to transport!
Sorry if I repeated any of previous posters - just thought it easier (for me) to do a brain dump, since (as u can c) pool supplies in our neck of the woods is close to my heart! Edit: - just seen Kamlabob's excellent posting - that's the same Buriram supplier I used for Acid - on his recommendation.

I don't know if you class KuchinarI as lower Isaan, but I'm building a pool there now. Just nearly finished the first layer of rebar. cheers.a56477e4fdd09c4a36bcd7e6933bad4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Fraid I dunno where Kuchinarl is and neither does Google!

Anyway, you or someone might be interested in an update on sourcing, when operating a pool in my neck of the woods (Amphur Kantharalak in southern SiSaket province)

These days I have a chlorinator but buy a little bit of chlorine every 2-3 years from Swimming Pools Thailand online*. I also buy water testing stuff either from them (or self-imported from the UK). Very efficient service at SPT and their website is excellent - stuff often makes it down here from northern isaan the day after I order it.

I buy a 5kg tub of quick-acting unstabilised stuff from JD Pools in Ubon to do my shock treatment (find that I only have to do that about twice a year when combined chlorine gets out of hand) - expensive but the stuff SPT sell as shock chlorine is not shock chlorine IMO - in fact it's damn good long-acting chlorine and does not fully dissolve in the pool for several days (and it's stabilised, which it should not be if it's for shocking). Yeah I know many people use regular chlorine for shocking, but ideally you need a quick rise in PPM and a very sharp fall back thereafter.

Pool salt, I now get delivered by TRS in 2 tonne loads every two years. 9,000 baht total delivered price for 80 x 25kg bags last time I bought in Oct-15.

HcL I pick up in that Buriram watsadu ('Ruangsangthai') on the Khon Kaen road just north of Buriram ring road north on my way back from Bangkok when I come back from abroad. Much more expensive than it used to be - now 550baht a 20kg carboy but can't find it anywhere cheaper or closer to southern Sisaket province. I can buy 5kg small plastic bottles for 150baht in a builder's merchant down the road from where I live but despite it ostensibly being 35% same as the big carboys it seems to take about 50% more to achieve the same pH reduction.

Sodium Bicarbonate to increase TA I buy in a sack of 25x1kg packs at a bakery supply shop in Ubon** for 540 baht - my pool seems curiously greedy for this (one sack every 15 months). Wholesale bakery suppliers are much cheaper than the 300g retail packets you buy in Makro/supermarkets now at 21 baht (used to be 12 baht) each typically.

* I'll switch off the chlorinator and do a couple of months manual chlorine dosing to restore CYA levels every summer. Powdered CyA is comparatively very expensive - and I never achieve the CyA ppm improvement from it that the packaging suggests is possible.  

**Junction of Kuanthani and Surapon Rds in the Chinese Old Town of Ubon - my thanks go to Julian at the excellent Peppers Restaurant for originally giving me that info.

• 7 months later...