Driving licence requirements ?

Hi I'm interested to know if my uk driving licence (full car and motorcycle with photo) is legal in Thailand.

Reason I ask is I've been stopped 20 times before and told it's ok, but yesterday farrang officer stopped me on second road behind walking street and gave a ticket as he told me it has to be an international licence and that all the other officers were wrong to accept uk licence ( he sounded German but I may be wrong, tall guy).

I checked on Google and what appears to be a reliable site clearly states that foreign licence is legal as long as written in English or is from USA Australia uk Canada ..... Something to do with a 1949 treaty it says.

With my pattaya condo just up the road I don't need to be meeting this jobsworth every week. I can get international permit from uk ( I assume this is same thing as what he calls 'international licence?)

I don't live in Thailand but like a couple of 60 day stays a year, obviously Thai licence is an option but would like to know the legalitys regarding uk licence first. He even said that insurance not valid with uk licence?

Knowledgable answers much appreciated.......best regards Roland.

Hi ok policeman wasn't interested in visa type or length of stay he just said licence not valid in Thailand full stop. He said I need international licence. Can someone clarify what that means. Is it an ' international driving PERMIT , which I can obtain in uk from the post office at minimal cost and hassle which I then carry with me in additional to mu uk licence.? ....cheers

Apparently they do have farrang police in pattaya. A Thai policeman was present also but the farrang guy was in charge I believe. Does anyone know if uk licence is legal or not? Also the point about insurance being invalid on a uk licence without international permit with it? ....... Anyone know for sure either way?

Incidentally when I went in the station to pay the 400 baht fine I asked in there and he said it must be international licence ( again I think he Means a 'permit' accompany my existing uk licence.)

Hi ok policeman wasn't interested in visa type or length of stay he just said licence not valid in Thailand full stop. He said I need international licence. Can someone clarify what that means. Is it an ' international driving PERMIT , which I can obtain in uk from the post office at minimal cost and hassle which I then carry with me in additional to mu uk licence.? ....cheers

I guess you been faked laugh.pngbiggrin.png

Last post is on track " was there a Thai policeman present ", if not report the <deleted> to a police station.

Gave a ticket but did you pay a fine. ??

UK licence valid in Thailand for 90 days no IDP is required for a full photocard UK driving licence.

You would be required to get a Thai driving licence after 90days within 1 year, so doing two 60 day visits in one may cause you trouble.

You could get a Thai licence easy with your UK licence just do it, and it will save you hearing all the BS that bounces around.

Yes I paid in the station on soi 9 beach rd along with 50 other people in front of me in the queue. I'm not too concerned if he's Thai farrang or half and half. I saw them stop EVERY motorcycle on beach road early evening about a week ago...... About 20 -30 policeman. Ok I get a Thai licence what's involved? Bearing in mind I have full uk car and bike licence already. I have a new bike so car is of less concern ( let my Thai wife drive that)

Yes I paid in the station on soi 9 beach rd along with 50 other people in front of me in the queue. I'm not too concerned if he's Thai farrang or half and half. I saw them stop EVERY motorcycle on beach road early evening about a week ago...... About 20 -30 policeman. Ok I get a Thai licence what's involved? Bearing in mind I have full uk car and bike licence already. I have a new bike so car is of less concern ( let my Thai wife drive that)

Ok the reason for the farangie guy policeman giving you a ticket is probably because the Thai police are using tourist police to helping local police with nicking farangies.

Getting a Thai driving licence what's involved, not a lot really you just have go and get one by going to your nearest DLT office with the Mrs and get your Thai driving licence for your motorcycle whether you want both as they are issued seperatly for car and motorcycle is up to you.

interesting.

so while thais can drive as they please farangs now have to pay fines even as they have correct licenses etc.

excellent & only in pattaya where the farang even help the police to collect to their holiday/whiskey fund ;)

Hi yes , yes they even had motorcycle taxi helping police , guy had 30 licences in a bag. They take your licence away tell you to drive up and pay then come back with stamped ticket and recollect licence. If no licence atall ,the motorcycle taxi guys take you to and from the station ( at a cost obviously).

Is there anything that can be printed off the net (in Thai) that states that uk licence is legal for a period of time ? If so I will print it off and carry with me.

I'm also going to go up the police station to complain/ get the facts ( I hope) with Thai missus today.

Yes not expecting a refund, but want to know if they can confirm that uk licence is ok. Just want more info if same nightmare cop stops me again. His words about all the other cops who have accepted uk licence from me before we're " they don't know, they are all wrong" ......

UPDATE

Ok been in to the cop shop on soi 9 AND another visit to the same cop on route!

Went with the missus to the cop shop and just so happened same cop in same place on 2nd rd behind walking st.

I decided to stop and get him to confirm the facts. His name is RALPH CASSAU he is a fully fledged farrang traffic cop from Europe ( I think Germany) he is not a tourist policeman. He had 3 other Thai cops with him this time thrusting new tickets in our face 3 times during a 3 minute conversation ( but didn't get new ticket on order of farrang cop). He says uk licence MUST be accompanied by international driving permit. One slight contradiction was he now says old paid up ticket valid for 5 days if kept with me to avoid another fine but told me 2 days yesterday.

Anyway off to police station , missus spoke to senior guy who also says licence MUST be accompanied by int driving PERMIT

So there you have it , that's the deal in Pattaya now unless your lucky ( which I have been on numerous occasions). On next visit to pattaya I will get a permit from uk first.!

Sorry !! Nope but it doesn't surprise me, the German farange is wrong, their running a scam I would say.

I will repeat again contrary to belief you do not need an IDP with a UK full photocard type driving licence in Thailand anymore because it is already writen in English and if you get a Thai driving licence, which again is easy to get, there is English writen on them as well, that is why IDP is not needed for the UK licence.

A German licence requires an IDP because it is writen in German savvy.

An IDP is required by some foreign countries which has a writen interpretation into their countries laugage and it has a writen English part on it which is already on the UK licence.

IDP accompanies a foreign licence that has no writen English on it but Thailand does make some exceptions e.g. Australia and some others because of the different state system in their country.

That said there is no wonder why there is confusion amongst Thai officials.

Tbh from the research I've done everything KWASAKI just said is technically correct. Yes it's a scam . Problem is even the 2 cops ( and probably half the cops in pattaya by now) are in on the scam to. What can I do. Cheapest easiest way is honour the new "law" by getting IDP before next visit

Tbh from the research I've done everything KWASAKI just said is technically correct. Yes it's a scam . Problem is even the 2 cops ( and probably half the cops in pattaya by now) are in on the scam to. What can I do. Cheapest easiest way is honour the new "law" by getting IDP before next visit

New law laugh.png more like their own local mafia law.

The best way is supported by everybody here, with your full UK driving licence go to your nearest DLT and get yourself the bike Thai driving licence it really is very easy, with the mrs in toe it's a breeze, you do not have to do the practicle driving test part only eye test and other simple tasks in the DLT office and watch a super movie. biggrin.png

In the states I go to AAA and pay$15.00 and 1 photo, once Thai Police see the International license , I'm immediately waved through, while every one else pays Tea Money...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Waved through for what ??

Well don't know your circumstances but you could save yourself $15 and spend about say $6 and get yourself a Thai licence. biggrin.png

Hi either way is ok I guess. I have full car and motorcycle licence which helps. If I go the Thai bike licence route do you know where I have to go, is it ' immigragration,' in Jomtien or further afield from pattaya.? Do I just need to take uk licence, passport, pic and small amount of dosh

Hi either way is ok I guess. I have full car and motorcycle licence which helps. If I go the Thai bike licence route do you know where I have to go, is it ' immigragration,' in Jomtien or further afield from pattaya.? Do I just need to take uk licence, passport, pic and small amount of dosh

Go to your nearest DLT in Pattaya.

You can find it here:-

http://driving-in-thailand.com/land-transport-offices-in-thailand/

Ok thanks for that. Interestingly I've just been on AA website ( automobile association in uk) they are maybe the biggest issuers of IDP in UK and on the list of country's that require IDP in addition to UK licence is Thailand. Uuumm maybe the farrang cop is right. I will defo get one before next visit at £5.50 it's worth it to not have to queue up for an hour at the cop station waiting to pay the £8 fine.

Ok thanks for that. Interestingly I've just been on AA website ( automobile association in uk) they are maybe the biggest issuers of IDP in UK and on the list of country's that require IDP in addition to UK licence is Thailand. Uuumm maybe the farrang cop is right. I will defo get one before next visit at £5.50 it's worth it to not have to queue up for an hour at the cop station waiting to pay the £8 fine.

If you want to get a UK IDP then fine !! but just know this the AA will tell you it is valid for 1 year ( Oh !! super duper ) sooooooooooo !! you had better know this toooooooo !! In Thailand it is only valid for 90 days the same a UK full valid driving licence. Phew !!

For the last time and at no risk of repeating myself over and over again, you do not need a UK IDP for Thailand anymore the AA are just taking money like any other con mechant, they do bother updating so just leave there old outdated information on their website.

What ever your visa status the best and cheapest way to go is to your nearest DLT and get yourself a Thai driving licence it saved agro and BS that is around because of people not knowing the correct information.

Hope my Singapore Licence is valid, forgot to get a new IDP when the last one expired but my understanding is that Licences issued in ASEAN countries are valid in other ASEAN countries, part of an ASEAN agreement. UK I do not know.

Also in my experience they rarely check car drivers unless you commit some other driving offence. It is usually motor bike drivers who get checked out

Nevertheless will get a Thai licence once I am permanently resident

Hope my Singapore Licence is valid, forgot to get a new IDP when the last one expired but my understanding is that Licences issued in ASEAN countries are valid in other ASEAN countries, part of an ASEAN agreement. UK I do not know.

Also in my experience they rarely check car drivers unless you commit some other driving offence. It is usually motor bike drivers who get checked out

Nevertheless will get a Thai licence once I am permanently resident

If your on a non-immigrant visa you need to get a Thai driving licence.

Your Singapore DL has English on it I guess so problem getting a Thai DL with it.

Just try and stay away from Pattaya by all accounts.laugh.png

Archived