Driving licence requirements ?

a lot useful and less useful info floating around as usual.

however the most practical solution for everyone aint the same but I wont hold my breath for even the farang copper to check BOTH passport and driving license for the targeted pattaya motocay riders to arrive at correct fines to issue ;)

however im sure mr excellence is exceeding his kpi and got his 10bt bonus and free som tum 555

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

UPDATE

Ok been in to the cop shop on soi 9 AND another visit to the same cop on route!

Went with the missus to the cop shop and just so happened same cop in same place on 2nd rd behind walking st.

I decided to stop and get him to confirm the facts. His name is RALPH CASSAU he is a fully fledged farrang traffic cop from Europe ( I think Germany) he is not a tourist policeman. He had 3 other Thai cops with him this time thrusting new tickets in our face 3 times during a 3 minute conversation ( but didn't get new ticket on order of farrang cop). He says uk licence MUST be accompanied by international driving permit. One slight contradiction was he now says old paid up ticket valid for 5 days if kept with me to avoid another fine but told me 2 days yesterday.

Anyway off to police station , missus spoke to senior guy who also says licence MUST be accompanied by int driving PERMIT

So there you have it , that's the deal in Pattaya now unless your lucky ( which I have been on numerous occasions). On next visit to pattaya I will get a permit from uk first.!

He might be a policeman in Europe - he is nothing but an interpreter in a clown uniform in Thailand!

RAZZ

Misleading and outdated information and Thailand in the list should have an ( i ) after it anyway.

But what do the AA want like any business " Money "

This explain the situation.

http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/information/transport/driving-licences/

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Misleading and outdated information and Thailand in the list should have an ( i ) after it anyway.

Many thanks for that. I looked on the link and came up with this which I had not realised

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Will definitely hasten my application for a Thai Licence once I become resident

Many thanks for that. I looked on the link and came up with this which I had not realised

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Will definitely hasten my application for a Thai Licence once I become resident

Hang on a mo, the correct term is IDP ( International Driving Permit ) when applied for they say there valid for 1 year which is correct for some countries but not Thailand it's valid for 90 days the same as for example a UK full licence on a tourist visa.

Full driving licences that have written English are termed as International driving Licenses that is where the confusion comes in on understanding the situations in different countries, especially Asian.

As for Insurance I am not aware of this 3 month thingy in relation to insurance, nor do I think it is correct.

Within Thailand vehicle insurance and licence requirements unlike the western countries they are seperate issues.

after multiple insurance claims although not major just dents scratches and the odd new door lol driving license nor id of driver was checked indicating what was stated about insurance not linking driving license at all to be correct.

so much bullshit info out there and noone able to prove a case of insurance denied to be honored with foreign license/driver :)

enjoy the urban legends!

Kwasaki - you say the UK license is valid in Thailand for 90 days. What happens if one is in an accident, will the insurance pay up with no Thai license?

' worldfun ' is on the money, Licence & Insurance are seperate issue's, insurance in Thailand is not the same as western countries the actual vehicle is insured not any driver who is driving the vehicle at the time of the accident.

well driver and passengers may be insured too for sure with a 1st class insurance :) but even for the driver his license or lack of may be still irrelevant check the fine print lol but then again nobody cares in practice ;)

well driver and passengers may be insured too for sure with a 1st class insurance smile.png but even for the driver his license or lack of may be still irrelevant check the fine print lol but then again nobody cares in practice wink.png

The Third party part you are refering to, yes people are insurered up to certain amounts thats why Thailand has the compulsory insurance for vehicles.

In most cases without having to read the small print biggrin.png it is best to obtain a Thai licence when living here and purchasing 1st class Thai insurance which still covers the vehicle and you can have name drivers but I reckon it's always best to have both gov as well as some other cover as well just in case.

That said I guess you would be OK from hiring from a reputable hire car company operating in Thailand and that is the case from some people I know visiting Thailand and having had an accident.

Don't know how many but there's a lot of people allegedly on the Thai roads with nowt.

• 1 year later...

Hi, just to let you know I went to Pattaya in April this year ( I have condo), and I was stopped no less than 3 times by different Police in different location everytime ,..all 3 times cop said " Can I see your INTERNATIONAL driving license please sir".... I showed them and was on my way, unlike some others who only had their own countrys license.

So even if its a scam or they are wrong, I will carry my IDP with me for an easy life.

Hi, just to let you know I went to Pattaya in April this year ( I have condo), and I was stopped no less than 3 times by different Police in different location everytime ,..all 3 times cop said " Can I see your INTERNATIONAL driving license please sir".... I showed them and was on my way, unlike some others who only had their own countrys license.

So even if its a scam or they are wrong, I will carry my IDP with me for an easy life.

Doesn't really matter what they ask for as lang as you realise that, if living here, your IDP and home license are not valid. Thai DL is required.

This is what the Motor Vehicle Act says:

Section 42
...If the driver is an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver’s license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

Archived