Yahoo mail accounts now unusable

rhythmworx

Do to this heartbleed bug whenever I try to log into my yahoo accounts it forces me to change the password for security reasons.

Problem is their coding is totally Effed up, it keeps telling me that my new password doesn't match (needs typing in twice) therefore rendering my accounts unusable. angry.gif

Yahoo Mail <snip> sucks

Rearrange.

The last major upgrade around 6 months was beyond a joke.

Yeah I totally agree with that, major cock up due to the new female CEO wanting to change it.

I couldn't be bothered changing it all to a new provider but I may look into doing so now.

Oddly, I can access my 3 main accounts that I check daily but not the one I use solely for paypal which I haven't logged into for a few weeks..

I did do. I attempted to use it and was told I had to contact customer services which closes at 4pm.

I retried changing my password and was successful.

If only they had told me the password had to use numbers and capital letters instead of saying my passwords don't match, none of this would have been a problem.

So just a heads up for anyone else who has the same problem.

Sorry for asking but why were you asked to contact Customer Services ??

I always could do my dealings with them (changing password, added 2-step authen., added security questions etc etc) without having to contact Customer services.

Edit : // Added Ps:

Ps: I changed my Yahoo passwords just yesterday, and I haven't had any problems in accessing my Email and / or other Yahoo services on my Tablets. Phones, Laptops or Desktops whatsoever

Disclaimer: And NO I don't work for Yahoo or their affiliates.

Edited by MJCM

I went to reset the password so logged into my linked account and clicked the link but it said something along the lines of contact customer services (something to do with an alias or profile or something) or otherwise log into the account I couldn't log into...I didn't understand what it meant.

Yeah to reset a Password and you have to go the way you took can be very difficult

Before you do anything new,

- set up 2 Step Authentication

- Add some mobile phones Nr (I have bought a cheap phone just for this (added this number to all my accounts)

- If you can add a Authenticator App (not useful for Yahoo but it is Gmail and Hotmail)

- Change your Security Questions to something difficult, for example change the answer "Where do i Live" from
Bangkok (example) to Busy City.

- Get an application like Keepass or Lastpass to keep your passwords safe

Good Luck

Hotmail have started that mobile phone authentication step too recently. If you decline that and try to use another Hotmail account to authenticate, it causes all sorts of problems.

Good security then?
Not against the NSA:)

For the record, I used my ymail acct yesterday and it was fine. I only have it for one reason, but it is an important one, unfortunately. I did change the password, though. People are also saying that gmail and facebook passwords should be changed immediately as well.

Yahoo Mail <snip> sucks

Rearrange.

Yes but since they improved a lot and it is now getting almost good.

Of course it will never be as good as Gmail and as simple as Outlook.com, but still many like it and if yahoo mails are still not accepted on this forum its time to change because this decision is now outdated and even seem a bit retarded (now).

Hotmail have started that mobile phone authentication step too recently. If you decline that and try to use another Hotmail account to authenticate, it causes all sorts of problems.

Yes even some of Microsoft's paid subscriptions use a one time password sent via SMS for the 2nd factor.

The problem I have had, at least with AIS, is that the SMS they send may or may not be delivered to my phone. It can take several attempts.

Yes even some of Microsoft's paid subscriptions use a one time password sent via SMS for the 2nd factor.

The problem I have had, at least with AIS, is that the SMS they send may or may not be delivered to my phone. It can take several attempts.

Why not use a Authenticator App to receive your keys if you have so much trouble receiving SMS ?

Link: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/google-in-the-enterprise/use-google-authenticator-to-securely-login-to-non-google-sites/#.

Edited by MJCM

Why not use a Authenticator App to receive your keys if you have so much trouble receiving SMS ?

Link: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/google-in-the-enterprise/use-google-authenticator-to-securely-login-to-non-google-sites/#.

Interesting. Thanks, I have never heard of that. Will give it some study.

I use the Google authenticator app (which you can download for free in the Play store or iTunes depending on your phone model) for both my Gmail and my outlook accounts.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

From what I was reading yesterday and today about the HeartBleed vulnerability, they were advising everyone with any Yahoo (and a couple of other domains) accounts to change their passwords.

I did so yesterday, and had to set a more complicated password than what I previously had had -- a new one with at least one capital letter and some number characters. AFAIR, the web page for Yahoo password changes pretty clearly said any new/reset password had to comply with those criteria.

I use the Google authenticator app (which you can download for free in the Play store or iTunes depending on your phone model) for both my Gmail and my outlook accounts.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

I have a Windows phone not Android but I just looked in the store and surprise, surprise Microsoft have an app for that too.

So I learned something today. Cheers!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yahoo Mail <snip> sucks

Rearrange.

Yeah I totally agree with that, major cock up due to the new female CEO wanting to change it.

I couldn't be bothered changing it all to a new provider but I may look into doing so now.

Oddly, I can access my 3 main accounts that I check daily but not the one I use solely for paypal which I haven't logged into for a few weeks..

No major cock up.Yahoo! Mail has a nice layout, great features and overall works well.

I did do. I attempted to use it and was told I had to contact customer services which closes at 4pm.

I retried changing my password and was successful.

If only they had told me the password had to use numbers and capital letters instead of saying my passwords don't match, none of this would have been a problem.

So just a heads up for anyone else who has the same problem.

They sent an email and some popup-reminders to every Yahoo!-account a year back saying users should change their password to a password containing numbers and 1 capital letter.I did so and haven't had any problem withy this over-hyped "bug".

Yahoo Mail <snip> sucks

Rearrange.

Absolutely agree with this. They couldn't even get their code to work properly on FireFox and IE for months. It went from being a fairly decent professional email account to a child's toy. Somebody who was color blind must have been put in charge of choosing the limited colors available for foreground and background colors. Even though it's a pain in the a...se, after 20+ years I have made the switch to GMAIL. GMAIL isn't perfect, but it's a vast improvement over Yahoo.