Domino's Pizza Opened on 3rd Road

marinediscoking

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me how they can justify charging 99 baht for a 7 inch pizza, but 325 baht for a 9 inch? The surface area of the 9 inch is less than double and yet the price is more than trebled.

Maybe the 7" should be closer to B150...does that make you feel better?

Can someone explain to me how they can justify charging 99 baht for a 7 inch pizza, but 325 baht for a 9 inch? The surface area of the 9 inch is less than double and yet the price is more than trebled.

Maybe the 7" should be closer to B150...does that make you feel better?

Strangely, yes!! And thanks for the helpful explanation.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I suspect that the 99Baht price for the 7in pizza is a promotional price designed to match the 99B offers from other chains, and it probably isn't as generously finished as the 9in version. They must save some money with them in that the topping covers a proportionately smaller area on the smaller pie, with the crust/edge occupying more.

• Like 1

New York Pizza House Pattaya is by far the best pizza I've had in Thailand! I can't imagine why anyone who likes New York American style pizza would go anywhere else. One man's opinion..........

Pala Pizza. Best in Bangkok by far.

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 1

The Dominos franchise for Thailand is owned by Fenix Pizza, which is itself owned by Evolution which has a range of fairly "trendy" brands and includes the Tune hotel chain. http://www.evolution.co.th/index.php/ec/ourpartners/food

Evolution is part of Fico, which has some more brands that many will recognise: http://www.ficocorporation.com/companies.html

Interestingly the corporate page of Dominos USA doesnt seem to mention the Thai presence at all, though it does mention their presence elsewhere in Asia. So it's reasonable to suppose that Dominos USA is not directly involved in the running of the local brand.

Edited by KittenKong

There's never a need to "justify" a price, gmac. In a free economy, the seller may charge whatever he chooses, unless a contractual arrangement is in place. The subsequent sales volume will determine whether or not the price is "justified".

That said, this can also be viewed as what is called a "loss leader" in marketing terms. The low priced item, which may earn little or no profit for the seller, lures customers who, it is hoped, will then buy the larger pizzas, either immediately or later.

There's never a need to "justify" a price, gmac. In a free economy, the seller may charge whatever he chooses, unless a contractual arrangement is in place. The subsequent sales volume will determine whether or not the price is "justified".

That said, this can also be viewed as what is called a "loss leader" in marketing terms. The low priced item, which may earn little or no profit for the seller, lures customers who, it is hoped, will then buy the larger pizzas, either immediately or later.

I rather suspect that when trying to order the "loss leader" it will not be unusual to be met with customary "no have" or "finished" response.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

As opposed to the "loss leader" marketing tactic, which is quite legal, what you describe is the "bait and switch" tactic, which (in the USA) is not legal.

But we don't know that to be happening in this case. It would help to get a report from someone who's ordered a 99 baht pizza.

In case anyone is interested the prices are:

Deluxe

7in diameter : 38.45 sq in = 2.57Baht/sq in

9in diameter : 63.61 sq in = 5.11Baht/sq in

12in diameter : 113.10 sq in = 3.84Baht/sq in

Premium

7in diameter : 38.45 sq in = 3.35Baht/sq in

9in diameter : 63.61 sq in = 5.73Baht/sq in

12in diameter : 113.10 sq in = 4.23Baht/sq in

So the BOGOF 9in deluxe pizza is better value than the 99B "loss-leader", and both the 12in versions are much better value.

Those figures include the edge/crust. If I knew how wide the edges are for each size I could calculate the real prices per sq in of the parts with topping, but that would probably make me seem sad.

Having done that I think I will get myself two 12in pizzas on the BOGOF promo and sod the diet.

• Like 2

The Dominos franchise for Thailand is owned by Fenix Pizza, which is itself owned by Evolution which has a range of fairly "trendy" brands and includes the Tune hotel chain. http://www.evolution.co.th/index.php/ec/ourpartners/food

Evolution is part of Fico, which has some more brands that many will recognise: http://www.ficocorporation.com/companies.html

Interestingly the corporate page of Dominos USA doesnt seem to mention the Thai presence at all, though it does mention their presence elsewhere in Asia. So it's reasonable to suppose that Dominos USA is not directly involved in the running of the local brand.

http://www.dominospizza.co.th/

Well you can buy 3 small ones then , still cheaper than medium size.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We ordered a Domino's pizza the other day. Got the 2-for-1 deal and they delivered all the way out here in Nongprue after a bit more than half an hour after ordering. They had "30 min or free" printed on the box, but we didn't pursue the issue, not sure if they'd actually honor that here, I'd be surprised.

It's been 25 years since I had a Domino's in US, and it's possible that my memory makes it better than it was, but I was really not too impressed with the ones we got. I recall a lot more cheese and toppings on the US one, and the taste was also kinda bland. My vote still goes for Fabrice, around the corner.

We got flyer with some vouchers with the pizza, nothing too radical, similar to what you get with other similar places.

post-1539-0-44248700-1397714391_thumb.jp

12" Meatzza Pizza.

Deluxe

Premium

So the BOGOF 9in deluxe pizza is better value than the 99B "loss-leader", and both the 12in versions are much better value.

Those figures include the edge/crust. If I knew how wide the edges are for each size I could calculate the real prices per sq in of the parts with topping, but that would probably make me seem sad.

Having done that I think I will get myself two 12in pizzas on the BOGOF promo and sod the diet.

Interesting calculation. I'd say about 1" is crust on the 12" pizza, so perhaps you can run that through your algorithm smile.png

We ordered a Domino's pizza the other day. Got the 2-for-1 deal and they delivered all the way out here in Nongprue after a bit more than half an hour after ordering. They had "30 min or free" printed on the box, but we didn't pursue the issue, not sure if they'd actually honor that here, I'd be surprised.

It's been 25 years since I had a Domino's in US, and it's possible that my memory makes it better than it was, but I was really not too impressed with the ones we got. I recall a lot more cheese and toppings on the US one, and the taste was also kinda bland. My vote still goes for Fabrice, around the corner.

We got flyer with some vouchers with the pizza, nothing too radical, similar to what you get with other similar places.

10005903_606650929431052_7996040987446903897_o.jpg

12" Meatzza Pizza.

Deluxe

Premium

Interesting calculation. I'd say about 1" is crust on the 12" pizza, so perhaps you can run that through your algorithm smile.png
New York Pizza all the way for American style pizza in Pattaya...and Aqua Dymie down the road for a local pie. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

New York Pizza all the way for American style pizza in Pattaya...and Aqua Dymie down the road for a local pie.

Aqua Daymie is "the old Fabrice". Fabrice first had Dao's Cafe, then AD and now Fabrice - just around the corner from AD in fact.

12" btw, is about the size of a Fabrice pizza, at around 300 baht give or take a bit depending on the toppings.

New York Pizza all the way for American style pizza in Pattaya...and Aqua Dymie down the road for a local pie.

Aqua Daymie is "the old Fabrice". Fabrice first had Dao's Cafe, then AD and now Fabrice - just around the corner from AD in fact.

12" btw, is about the size of a Fabrice pizza, at around 300 baht give or take a bit depending on the toppings.

I like the cute chubby lady chef from Dao who now works at Aqua. Ive tried Fabrice a couple times and I think her cooking is better than whoever they got cooking at Fab. My standard order at Aqua, pizza salami (not on menu) is B220, or chicken with mushroom sauce...umm umm good.

No baht bus service!

In fact there is, take a red bus down Nernplubwan and if you hop off at the right place its only a 50m stroll down the lane.

Up is correct. The red bus runs south on Sukhumvit and turns onto Nern Pub Waan. But it only runs about every half hour. And never take it in rush hour; you'll never get on it. Have never taken it to the end.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

• 2 weeks later...

New York Pizza House Pattaya is by far the best pizza I've had in Thailand! I can't imagine why anyone who likes New York American style pizza would go anywhere else. One man's opinion..........

Pala Pizza. Best in Bangkok by far.

I'm from Brooklyn and worked in Manhattan ,went to school in Queens....and the NY PIZZA HOUSE is not NY Pizza its upstate NY , or they called it Western NY State....I tried them 4 x and only once was the pie good ....I think wood oven Pizzas are very over-rated and always ,unless under-cooked ,wind up with burnt crust some or everywhere on their pies. The best pies have always come out of a good ole Blodgett oven !It gets the cheese perfect, unless the pizza maker leaves it in too long and does not give the pie a turn ! I found in Thailand , the person who's making the pizza can really affect wether your pie comes out right or not! And if the delivery person doesn't slant the box ,so the cheese slides off the crust to the box...which should be lined with a wax paper to begin with ,so it won't stick at all !

post-35854-0-77470700-1398670794_thumb.j