Scrap-yard owner could face jail if rules violated

Lite Beer

Scrap-yard owner could face jail if rules violated
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The owner of a scrap-metal shop which was ripped apart by a huge explosion that killed eight workers earlier this month will be penalised if found to be in violation of occupational safety regulations.

She could be subject to up to a year in jail and/or a maximum fine of Bt100,000, the Labour Protection and Welfare Department said yesterday.

Uemphorn Suebniam, the owner of Ban Recycle shop, will soon be summoned for questioning by the department, deputy director-general Suwit Sumala said.

However, he did not say if evidence the agency was compiling was against or in support of the owner.

The Employment Department said yesterday that three of the people killed in the explosion were Cambodian, including a child, and were entitled to protection under Thai labour law - and their families to compensation stemming from their deaths at work.

Director-general Prawit Khiangphol said insurance would be soon required of Thai employers that hire migrant workers.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-12

First I have heard of any OH&S regulations in Thailand. Watching the way people work safety standards just doesnt exist unless they are being ignored like road rules!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yesterday i watched some telephone workers fixing overhead wiring in the soi outside my house.

Needless to say at one junction there is the usual birds nest of wires and it was against this the workers placed their ladder for support.

They obviously had more believe it its strength than I would.

• Like 1

"violation of occupational safety regulations."

Would there be any company in Thailand that does comply with safety?

And a possible maximum fine of 100K could apply.......for 8 people being blown apart?? Crazy place sometimes!

Edited by ChrisY1

If the evidense being gathered by the Labor protection and Welfare department is to support the owner/workplace safety, maybe they should review their job description. Another, ''In the future we will reqire insurance by the employer'', (loop hole) in a system that is written/designed to protect the employer.

The owner of the shop that bought the bomb was not very smart.

Why sell as scrap metal

Better to sell to the terrorists in the south

I'm sure they would have had a few orgasms just thinking of the chaos it would have caused

Threatening legal action/fines may simply be the way to a quick bribe... problem solved.

The only real key to a better future and non illusionary progress is via education... Good luck and don't hold your breath

Unfortunately, accidents of this kind happen in Laos quite often and imagine what is happening in Afghanistan and Iraq now and well into the future. It's time that the countries who leave unexploded ordnance behind take responsibility. If this bomb did indeed come from WWII then it is almost certainly an American bomb and it is them who should feel responsible for leaving the damn thing there.

At my wifes shop there is a small roofed area where one of those timber bench things they sit on is placed underneath,to my horror today i noted a bit of old reinforcincing wire from construction stuck into one of the pillars at just about kidney height and actually angled in to the sitting area,Vlad the impaler would have been proud of this setup,i removed it and told her it was very dangerous and she had a duty of care to her customers,the reply,well yea you geussed it,"my pen rai" i took it out and threw it away,she looked annoyed as it was a useful hook,for what i ask killing you customers,plus the whole area was littered with beer bottles.i can feel my inner Brian Clough voice coming on !She could well be on the bench -AGAIN>

Why sell as scrap metal

I'm sure they would have had a few orgasms just thinking of the chaos it would have caused

The PTP reds would have paid good money for it.

Why sell as scrap metal

The PTP reds would have paid good money for it.

Or the NSPRT

First I have heard of any OH&S regulations in Thailand. Watching the way people work safety standards just doesnt exist unless they are being ignored like road rules!

There are many such laws in Thailand. Enforcement is another issue.

The USA was rife with appaling child labor, police corruption, patent medicine/snake oil poisons, racism, non-voting for women, and on and on. It took years of legislation, enforcement, trials, public education, etc. to eliminate or change these conditions. The struggle is still ongoing in many areas.

To browbeat Thailand may be justified in some cases, but one only had to look at the history of ones own "civilized" country or origin to see we aren't as superior as we may wish.

To criticize without contributing to genuine change is the path of the narrow minded and weak willed.

• Like 2

There are many such laws in Thailand. Enforcement is another issue.

The USA was rife with appaling child labor, police corruption, patent medicine/snake oil poisons, racism, non-voting for women, and on and on. It took years of legislation, enforcement, trials, public education, etc. to eliminate or change these conditions. The struggle is still ongoing in many areas.

To browbeat Thailand may be justified in some cases, but one only had to look at the history of ones own "civilized" country or origin to see we aren't as superior as we may wish.

To criticize without contributing to genuine change is the path of the narrow minded and weak willed.

I can't speak for the USA, but I can offer my opinion on what I have seen here. Safety standards are either non existent or ignored which runs parallel to driving habits.

No matter how much change is introduced or legislated, culture will remain dominant.

It is hard to contribute for genuine change when the narrow minded and weak willed won't listen or choose to ignore, hence the criticism!