Gearbox troubles in Honda jazz

samran

My wife gets around in a 2007 Honda Jazz.

There seems to be a bit of a problem in the lower gears which I hope to describe and someone can perhaps give their best guess diagnosis on.

From time to time, when in idle and moving to either drive or reverse - there seems to be a bit of a lag between pushing down on the gas and the car actually moving. When it does move, it does so in a bit of a sudden burst/jump of movement which can never quite be timed. This is fine on the road but an annoyance when parking, where you are trying to guide the car into a spot and have to go a little bit heavy on the gas just to get the car to move.

For those who drive automatic cars, you'll know that when still in drive but no foot on the pedal the car will roll forward anyway. This doesn't really happen in our car.

I wonder if anyone has seen/come across this issue and let me know their thoughts on what the problem might be before I take it to the service centre.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Have you had the oil and filter changed ?

Sounds like a control problem, where the ECU is not increasing the line pressure in the valve body quickly enuf, or high enuf without throttle.

Try the oil/filter change. Might be sticking a bit.

If not, further checks will need to be made on pressures in the trans itself.

Good luck.

Sounds like a control problem, where the ECU is not increasing the line pressure in the valve body quickly enuf, or high enuf without throttle.

Good luck.

Just had a fairly extensive service and these were done as a suggestion for helping. Problem not as bad as before but still there.

The CVT box is notoriously bad. I think changing the start clutch about 15k. A new gearbox 30-50k.

I guess it is a matter of taking it down to a Honda service centre now and seeing what they say? Or can your B-quicks of the world do the same job?

I guess it is a matter of taking it down to a Honda service centre now and seeing what they say? Or can your B-quicks of the world do the same job?

Worth a shot. Should be fairly inexpensive to diagnose if they have the tools and training.

I would tend toward Honda service centre, as B-Quick - while good at what they do - I would not imagine they have anyone factory trained to diagnose a Jazz auto.

Independent auto box shop would be a good choice too - but I do not know one. Most here are part swappers - I have found anyway.

Trouble shooting is a whole other skill.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your assistance. Sounds like we are going to have to bite the bullet one way or a other on this but for your advice and other research it seems like a common problem with the Honda Jazz. So while not cheap, a fairly well known issue and presumably one which can be fixed easily.

Hopefully it may just be a CVT oil change can do the trick and I understand started clutches etc may just need retuning/ calibration if I have used the terminology.

FYI - automatic and CVT are two completely different transmissions

Thanks. I'm no expert on these things. All the forums I've read say the jazz has a cvt issue so apologies if I am using confusing terminology. Certainly not my forte.

In terms of do I change gears when I drive, the answer is no. I just put it in D and off I go. That's what I mean by auto.

FYI - automatic and CVT are two completely different transmissions

Thanks. I'm no expert on these things. All the forums I've read say the jazz has a cvt issue so apologies if I am using confusing terminology. Certainly not my forte.

In terms of do I change gears when I drive, the answer is no. I just put it in D and off I go. That's what I mean by auto.

If were me, would do what 'seedy' said get Honda to diagnose the ECU fueling first at a recommended Honda dealer.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

(in most markets) Honda jazz up to 2011 used a non CVT , .. auto/ manual box using electronic dual clutches its normally a little strange and can be jerky ,, but when it goes wrong its usually an electronic fault ,in the servos and ecu s,, Go to a proper Honda dealer ,, they have the correct diagnostics .

after 2011 Honda changed jazz to a CVT gearbox by public demand ...

• Like 1

My experience with using shops other than a dealer ain't so great but heck my experience with my company cars (Honda Accord and CRV) were not that great either.

Edited by rotary

Is the gear CVT? I think time to replace the belt

My wife gets around in a 2007 Honda Jazz.

There seems to be a bit of a problem in the lower gears which I hope to describe and someone can perhaps give their best guess diagnosis on.

From time to time, when in idle and moving to either drive or reverse - there seems to be a bit of a lag between pushing down on the gas and the car actually moving. When it does move, it does so in a bit of a sudden burst/jump of movement which can never quite be timed. This is fine on the road but an annoyance when parking, where you are trying to guide the car into a spot and have to go a little bit heavy on the gas just to get the car to move.

For those who drive automatic cars, you'll know that when still in drive but no foot on the pedal the car will roll forward anyway. This doesn't really happen in our car.

I wonder if anyone has seen/come across this issue and let me know their thoughts on what the problem might be before I take it to the service centre.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk Edited by tua2kee

Just had a fairly extensive service and these were done as a suggestion for helping. Problem not as bad as before but still there.

Two things come to mind:

You've just had an extensive service. Has the problem started since that service?

If so, then it could be that your handbrake is over adjusted, and causing the brakes to slightly

bind when moving slowly. This will give the same symptoms as you described in your OP.

Or,

if the gearbox oil was changed in the service, then it could be that the oil level is low.

due to incorrect refill procedure.

If not, then take it to a Honda workshop, for a gearbox diagnosis.

Edited by sotsira
  • Like 1

Good luck.

Had the same year/model Honda Jazz...and same problem....what Seedy has suggested fixed my problem immediately......and I hope it fixes yours...good luck

Hi

If your car was OK before then only advise ....Go to Honda for test.

Honda Jazz have programmed gearbox and on Battery should be sticker warning against battery changing.

Did you change battery lately or battery was discharged?

If it happened then your gearbox need to be program again in Honda Service.

If car was driven for long time without re-programing gearbox it could lead to some damage.

Honda Jazz (and some other brands from same era) have this unpleasant luck of " kick" when .

accelerator is pushed down. First second is not response at all....

I actually returned brand new car to dealer with complain and to be surprised that all Honda's Jazz are doing exactly the same because of gearbox designed like that...

Main reason in this idea ...to save on petrol usage when car is in standing position eg. traffic lights etc. ...simply , they explained that gearbox is completely disengaged when car is in standing position ...this way is big saving on petrol.

Honda Jazz has very reliable gerbox and if any problems appear there is not other way as Honda Service.Low level of oil is not the case in Honda's ...simply those cars don't leak!

In my past 3 Honda's (in 30 years) i never have any problem with gearbox leaks....

I owned second hand Honda Prelude 1988 and for 12 years never even changed oil in Gearbox......I cooked engine 2 times driving without water for 50 km ...sold it last Year and still is going well after 380 K...!!! Just amazing cars.

Two things come to mind:

You've just had an extensive service. Has the problem started since that service?

If so, then it could be that your handbrake is over adjusted, and causing the brakes to slightly

bind when moving slowly. This will give the same symptoms as you described in your OP.

Or,

if the gearbox oil was changed in the service, then it could be that the oil level is low.

due to incorrect refill procedure.

If not, then take it to a Honda workshop, for a gearbox diagnosis.

The problem was actually worse before the service but still remain to an extent. Enough to be frustrating and to know something isn't quite right. To be honest I need to go back and check what they did but Bquick who I always use did check the gearbox for me from memory.

Good luck.

Had the same year/model Honda Jazz...and same problem....what Seedy has suggested fixed my problem immediately......and I hope it fixes yours...good luck

Fingers crossed then. Sounds better than a new gearbox!

Hi

If your car was OK before then only advise ....Go to Honda for test.

Honda Jazz have programmed gearbox and on Battery should be sticker warning against battery changing.

Did you change battery lately or battery was discharged?

If it happened then your gearbox need to be program again in Honda Service.

If car was driven for long time without re-programing gearbox it could lead to some damage.

Honda Jazz (and some other brands from same era) have this unpleasant luck of " kick" when .

accelerator is pushed down. First second is not response at all....

I actually returned brand new car to dealer with complain and to be surprised that all Honda's Jazz are doing exactly the same because of gearbox designed like that...

Main reason in this idea ...to save on petrol usage when car is in standing position eg. traffic lights etc. ...simply , they explained that gearbox is completely disengaged when car is in standing position ...this way is big saving on petrol.

Honda Jazz has very reliable gerbox and if any problems appear there is not other way as Honda Service.Low level of oil is not the case in Honda's ...simply those cars don't leak!

In my past 3 Honda's (in 30 years) i never have any problem with gearbox leaks....

I owned second hand Honda Prelude 1988 and for 12 years never even changed oil in Gearbox......I cooked engine 2 times driving without water for 50 km ...sold it last Year and still is going well after 380 K...!!! Just amazing cars.

Haha. In OZ I had a 1983 honda prelude which I picked up in the mid 1990s and finally got rid of in 2004 when I only drove it on trips back to OZ. It was a fantastic car, kept it in good nic and it treated me well!

We have a Honda Jazz auto 2006 and have the same problem as described by the OP. It's not too pronounced and so we can live with it - you can compensate for the time lag but you have to take care when on a slope in case the car rolls back before engaging. It may have worsened over time but not sure about that. We have always used Honds for services but are overdue this time round when some of the "bigger" components might be on the checklist.

• Like 1

Honda or any car with a ECU, first thing to do if something is wrong get a ecu diagnostic check to check that code settings are correct and there are no errors, once that's done you can go from there if there's still a problem.smile.png

• Like 1