Tinnitus

elgordo38

We live in a condo unit in Chiang Mai and I suffer from Tinnitus and have for over 20 years. Luckily I do not have the worst form of this disease. Doctors will tell you that this is caused by exposing your hearing to loud sounds. I am amazed that no doctor has come forward and warned people of this fact. Some people have a constant roaring in their heads and some even commit suicide because they cannot stand it and there is no reliable cure. Across from our condo for 2 days now we have these deafening speakers blast out noise (I would not call it music) from 9.00 a.m. till 7.00 p.m. During the first hour the sound is not bad until the drunks start to crank up the sound and the windows rattle. Rather than chase a couple Farang in bathing suits having a bit of fun the police should have sound monitors that do the rounds and if the speakers are pumping out to much sound they should receive a warning or be shut down. I am all for festivals and fun but this festival should consider the fact that some of us seniors do not like the constant blast of bass in our ears for hours and days on end. There should be fairness for all. They should consider others peace and quiet along with their ideas of fun. We should not have to suffer this constant banging for what looks like 5 days this year. Last year it was 3. Also heavens knows how many billions of liters of water are wasted. I constantly read on this site how drought is ravishing large parts of Thailand and because of El Nino we could be in for a string of draughts in the years ahead and the sky rocketing construction in Chiang Mai is constantly making more and more demands for this precious resource. This festival started out years ago as the gentle application of water on a persons face and shoulders followed by prayer now the object seems to be to drown a person.

Well 7pm ain't exactly late, mate!

You can't expect them to make allowances for foreign pensioners when they're celebrating their new year. How they choose to do it is none of your business really, is it?

Next year, you should do what lots of others have done and go away for a few days if it bothers you that much.

Quite agree.

I do understand that having this noise blasting out from 9.00am to 7.00pm, 10 hours must be rather hard to tolerate and I wouldn`t like that myself.

But it is one of the main Thai festivals of the year and there is not very much you can do about it. Why not go and stay at a peaceful hotel or guest house until the festival is over as the only 2 options you have, is to stay and bear it or get away during the Songkran period. Who knows? You may even enjoy the break away from home.

I have had this self inflicted problem for years as well, and no, there is nothing that will help. Some days it is worse than others but mostly just an irritating his in my head. I know its caused by loud music or sounds but I still play my music loud, it's the only way to listen.

As regards your problem with the loud music and Songkran, as the other posts, pack up and go away!

Well 7pm ain't exactly late, mate!

You can't expect them to make allowances for foreign pensioners when they're celebrating their new year. How they choose to do it is none of your business really, is it?

Next year, you should do what lots of others have done and go away for a few days if it bothers you that much.

I also have tinitus. I cant sleep when its quiet and need background noise to drown out the ringing. Is it not the same with you.

HardenedSoul is correct. Its Songkran.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Has anyone tried to counter their musicbah.gif by playing some rap or other equally offensive sounds at comprable volumes??

They were probably arrested and fined.....

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app