Lightning strike

Sad, RIP.

A little information just in case anyone doesn't know, Modern fishing rods, especially the more expensive ones are often made of carbon fibre which is super conductive, which basically means you're carrying around a extra long lightening conductor, good idea to put them on the ground & walk away to a safe distance until the storm's over...

hi russ,

again sorry about your loss,

im led to believe it strikes the fishing rod while holding it, happens all over the world not just thailand,

golf clubs too,

jake

Might depend what the rod was made of. Some golfers I know carry umbrellas with graphite/composite central poles/handles to avoid lightning strike.

In my Isaan village most of the family turn their mobile phones off during thunderstorms as they claim there have been several fatalities from lightning strikes to people using their phones.

Condolences on your family's loss.

I just remembered an event that took place down here. A few years ago, a friend was drinking under tree on a river bank. Chained to the tree was a boat which was on the water. The boat was struck, and the charge crossed the chain splitting the tree. His legs were singed, but one of his friends was sat with his back to the tree. He died. I did mention about trees and lightning, but just get a "How they stay dry?"

I think I actually saw that lightning strike. One crossed behind the house. I actually heard it crackle as it passed by. A bit too close, but we are in a narrow valley bottom. So I'd hope the trees got it 1st.