Teacher Jobs Phuket

My friend is currently in China and wants to look at offers in Phuket...

Can anyone offer advice on getting a job in Phuket or Samui?

He has a Masters and TEFL, with 6 years teaching experience in Business subjects.

I have suggested jobs DB and Ajarn.com

I have already warned him the salary is subsistence level compared to China and the West

The problem with Phket is the schools assume everyone wants to live there. The pay is the same (or maybe 10% higher than BKK), but cost of living (rent, transportation, etc) is about 40-50% higher. Only the few high-end international schools (British international and headstart) pay 60k+ , but unless his Masters is in ESL or education, he will not get in there. Tourist destinations are not always the best locations to look for work.

Hi Thanks for the warning.

I suggested that Phuket would be a better base than BKK - more/better places to go without having to fly.

(And a friend (14 yrs in Thailand) suggested Samui/Krabi coast and near AoNang?)

As to living costs, we plan to visit Phuket at Christmas, just for a look see.

We went to Samui and found supermarket prices similar to BKK with more western choices.

(We have a huge Tesco and a Big C nearby)

We were on "holiday" so we ate out every night but found a few beach restaurants
that were more than reasonably priced

(Not 5* food or price)

I also had the idea that the WHOLE of Thailand thought that "everyone wants to live here"

But now I think its the Thai way...

It is easier to rely on Agents.....

Finally I have been told by a Filipino, that all schools and Universities are desperate for Native Speakers with Degrees and experience...

Phuket was never on any of my travel wish lists

The problem with Phket is the schools assume everyone wants to live there. The pay is the same (or maybe 10% higher than BKK), but cost of living (rent, transportation, etc) is about 40-50% higher. Only the few high-end international schools (British international and headstart) pay 60k+ , but unless his Masters is in ESL or education, he will not get in there. Tourist destinations are not always the best locations to look for work.

I personally would stay well away from Phuket, Krabi and Surathani. My least favorite provinces. Tourism has rubbished the places and no amount of living "la vida 'local' " or speaking Thai will change that. You will forever be a tourist, like living on Sukhumvit Soi 4 haha. The hassles, nagging, prices...Many of the Muslims have a serious chip on their shoulder as well.

As a frame of reference, decent little flat in Bangkok is about 5k plus utilities. Central. Box with AC and dicey security start at 3500.

Worth sending resumes off, posdibly schedule a week of interviews and then look at contract - but I would not make any huge attempt to live in these places.