Buying Chicken

Gonsalviz

Any one know where to buy chicken that is not 10 years old?

I just baked a chicken on the grill. My normal recipe that I have used many places in the world. This one is so tough that it is difflicult to cut, chew or swallow. Usually it is so tender as to fall off the bone.

I bought this at Tesco Lotus but will not again.

I am in Isan between Loei and Udon. Is there any place to buy a decent chicken? The local markets are out of the question.

Try Macros, I use the one in Chaiyaphum & haven't had a bad chicken yet...

Thanks. I tried beef from there once. Toughest, stringiest stuff I ever saw, so I forgot about going there but for a good chicken, I put them back on my list.

You most likely picked up a Thai free range chicken, tough as nails even if boiled to death twice. Go to a local market and buy one. You can tell the difference, the fresh good ones are plump and shinny yellow, the free range look like a cantantakerous, cantantakerous old farang, skinny, shrivelled and no color!

You most likely picked up a Thai free range chicken, tough as nails even if boiled to death twice. Go to a local market and buy one. You can tell the difference, the fresh good ones are plump and shinny yellow, the free range look like a cantantakerous, cantantakerous old farang, skinny, shrivelled and no color!

What I picked up looked a like a nice plump chicken. What I have seen in the local markets are skinny, boney and I will bet, stringy chickens.

I buy a lot of chicken mostly for my dog,makro and Tesco no taste for me,but the best I have had and will only eat comes from home fresh in the mall a bit more expensive but well worth it.about over 100bht.a kilo.

I can buy chicken at the local outdoor market everyday. There are two types avaiable, the local free range that I can get in my back yard every night or the farm grown ones that are plump and juicy. The two chicken vendors in the local market use those processed by Betagrow and I have never had a tough, stringy one from them. If we kill our own chickens they are like you described and the Thais usually use them in "chicken bone soup" and if not cooked forever i, if you can find any meat. it is still tough as shoe leather. Occasionally they will bring me four or five and ask me to roast them in my oven but I really don't know how they eat them!

I can buy chicken at the local outdoor market everyday. There are two types avaiable, the local free range that I can get in my back yard every night or the farm grown ones that are plump and juicy. The two chicken vendors in the local market use those processed by Betagrow and I have never had a tough, stringy one from them. If we kill our own chickens they are like you described and the Thais usually use them in "chicken bone soup" and if not cooked forever i, if you can find any meat. it is still tough as shoe leather. Occasionally they will bring me four or five and ask me to roast them in my oven but I really don't know how they eat them!

Haven't seen them around here. I am far away from everything.

The problem with the chickens raised by Betagro is the same as the problem with their pork: Not a lot of flavor. Apparently they raise their poultry and hogs according to U.S. industrial standards. Doesn't make for a tasty chicken. On the other hand, the large whole birds (over 2 kilos) that Makro sells are full of flavor - even the white meat. Maybe they're capons? They're not tough but they are firmer than the Betagro variety of chicken which to my taste are kind of mushy.

Edited by quidnunc

The problem with the chickens raised by Betagro is the same as the problem with their pork: Not a lot of flavor. Apparently they raise their poultry and hogs according to U.S. industrial standards. Doesn't make for a tasty chicken. On the other hand, the large whole birds (over 2 kilos) that Makro sells are full of flavor - even the white meat. Maybe they're capons? They're not tough but they are firmer than the Betagro variety of chicken which to my taste are kind of mushy.

I bought 2 frozen chickens from Makro today and will be trying them out. I assume you are talking about frozen chickens? Head, giblets and feet included. What I bought are not capons unless they are stunted. Capons are something that requires an all day boil so that you can chew it. Oversized neutered male chickens.

I generally go for multiple frozen foods as I do not want to get into the stuff that has laid around until it is nearly foul and then frozen.

What is so hard about raising a decent frying chicken? I don't get it. I suppose one would have to watch these nice chickens don't get stolen. A friend of mine had a nice pond full of five or six kinds of fish. He was in Isaan. One day the fish were just gone. I think it would be the same with a bunch of nice frying chickens.

I bought 2 frozen chickens from Makro today and will be trying them out. I assume you are talking about frozen chickens? Head, giblets and feet included. What I bought are not capons unless they are stunted. Capons are something that requires an all day boil so that you can chew it. Oversized neutered male chickens.

I generally go for multiple frozen foods as I do not want to get into the stuff that has laid around until it is nearly foul and then frozen.

Your definition of capons is right but it sounds like you're describing stewing chickens. Here is what I lifted from one website: "Capon meat is tender and flavorful, compared with rooster meat, which can be quite gamy. Capon meat is also relatively fatty, and has a high proportion of white meat. The difference between capon meat and rooster meat is due to the absence of sexual hormones. "

In my experience capon meat may be a little firmer than regular chicken but not by any means tough.

Edited by quidnunc