Where to Live? Gated Community vs Non-Gated Community

davidjg

What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in a gated community in Phuket? It seems most housing available on the island is in gated communities. How safe is it living outside of one of these? I do like the security factor, however, it feels like you are almost living on top of your neighbours in some cases. We're moving to Phuket to get out of a big city and into a more natural environment but it seems a bit unnatural living in one of these compounds.

Thoughts please.

Oh dear !

You could not pay me enough to persuade me to live in a "gated community"

I live in a small, modern , two bedroomed bungalow that has no passing traffic , nice views and "Shock Horror" we have Thai neighbors!

No gates or guards but I feel very safe !

Edited by thepool

I have indeed never lived on Phuket Island, aside from a 7 week spell over Xmas just gone, however I am relocating my family there at the start of May and have been looking at housing options on the internet. I will be in Phuket this Sunday for a week to secure a house/car before the big move and I am starting to book appointments with agents to look at properties. I am aware that the best way is to drive around looking for 'For Rent' signs, but I want to cover all bases seeing as I have such a short time. I've lived in Asia for 11 years so no stranger to the continent and have done both the 'gated community' and 'non-gated community' living in other countries. Just trying to understand how it works in Phuket.

I am no troll, just someone trying to get some info for a family relocation. I should have given some background, as one of you clearly pointed out, apologies for that and appreciate any advise on the matter!

• Like 2

Depends on budget - personally the thought of living in a gated bubble does not interest me, part of the reason (not all by any means) i live here is to have life experience & new cultures.

I think you need to try before you buy, rent for 6 months & see how it feels.......

Laguna complex is great, although I have never lived there (cant actually afford to probably) I do have mates there who love it. The idea of that area does not appeal to me at all, but each to their own...

I'm starting out with a very low budget, around 15k per month for a 3 bedroom place. I've been looking at the Paklok and Thalang areas so far, but everything in my budget seems to be in compounds. Our initial thoughts were to get somewhere for 6 months, but that's going to put us in the high season, so we might just get a cheap place for a year and then look at our options once we know the place a bit better.

Thanks to all those who contributed so far.

• Like 1

Most housing available for rent is NOT in gated communities. For sure there are gated communities but in my opinion this is much smaller percentage of the property market. Gated communities attract community fees to cover security, pool maintenance, communal gardens, and the like. Check whether this is included in the rental price or you have to pay on top.

Overall outside a gated community is safer than inside as criminals tend to target these farang ghettos where the wealth is supposedly concentrated. I am not a troll either.

Don't live down that way but...

'gated community' unless there is 24/7 security the places I have seen with a card to open barrier who has a card/ key ? Rubbish truck, postman, electric meter man, water meter man, water delivery, gas delivery and so on.......... No idea is it any point having a 'gated community' ??

I'm starting out with a very low budget, around 15k per month for a 3 bedroom place. I've been looking at the Paklok and Thalang areas so far, but everything in my budget seems to be in compounds. Our initial thoughts were to get somewhere for 6 months, but that's going to put us in the high season, so we might just get a cheap place for a year and then look at our options once we know the place a bit better.

Thanks to all those who contributed so far.

They are not gated communitys, once most of the properties are sold the guard is sacked

and the gate taken down or left open, its just a sales gimmic

Rents are cheaper in those areas because houses are cheaper

Ok. So security wise, it really makes no difference it seems.

Do these communities usually demand a higher or lower rental price? Just wondering why pretty much all the places I have been suggested are in these villa communities. My preference would be to NOT live in one of these although it seems I may not have a choice.

Do the majority of landlords posting 'For Rent' signs outside their houses speak English? Or will this be an obstacle also?

gated community or mooban call it what you like,i live on one of these so called but lucky we have a double plot so no close neighbours but high security wall plus steel sharp pointed fence.24/7 security NOW,the previous security yams as they are called

were either drunks,criples,ex cons and blokes who could sleep all day and night standing up.then there is the community charges for non exsiting services,if your a farang your on your own so as they say in Thailand UP TO YOU.

doubt 15,000 will get u a 3 bedroom house anywhere on the island.

plenty of gated communities around golf courses but for a 3 bedroom ur looking at 40-60,000

Never lived in one,never would

in Thalang and the monument area 3 years ago you could buy a 3 bedroom single storey house

on its own land plot for 2.4 to 2.7 M baht they were for rent between 12 and 15k baht a month

There were lots avaliable and probably still are, most estates had finnished and partly built homes in them

and they had stopped building because of the lack of buyers

But prefer not to live in one of these villa communities.

They are housing estates not villa communities, you need to take a look before you make up you mind

They are away from the main tourist areas but reasonably close to shopping centres and not to far from the airport

At the rent you want to pay good value, any area popular with expats will cost you a lot more in rent for a equal

property, cheapest rental area popular with expats is Chalong in my opinion

• Like 1

I already have a handful of 3 bedroom places in my budget arranged to view. Like these...

http://houseinphuket.com/houses/LTR/b0920/

http://houseinphuket.com/houses/LTR/b0710/

These are not gated communities, as we all understand, sure they may have a gate but thats not quite the same. I saw a few of these style & are quite ok, BUT many have been empty for a long time and many of the villages un finished

wow, my bad.

they look really small, i recall those places a few kms from the monument,

seems they never finished them .

suggest you look at them first before putting down $$ for 6 months ( which ups the price to 18,000)

For me, i live near the beach, an cant see living on an island and not being within a few kms of one but thats me.

15,000-18,000 in most areas ( kamala, patong, Chalong, Rawaii) will get u a decent 2 bedroom, stand alone place

Everyone seen the massive amount of builing going on, on the by pass road between Kathu and Tesco intersection? small homes, shop houses, condos

and also across from the golf course there>

Do these communities usually demand a higher or lower rental price? Just wondering why pretty much all the places I have been suggested are in these villa communities. My preference would be to NOT live in one of these although it seems I may not have a choice.

Do the majority of landlords posting 'For Rent' signs outside their houses speak English? Or will this be an obstacle also?

The links you supply are not what I would call gated or secure. These are moobans or housing estates. There are very few proper secure gated communities.

I see you are looking at Welta's site. Pleasant lady who speaks good English but be aware she charges 10% commission which one way or another you will pay for.

Best get out and look for the For Sale private boards. Some owners might have limited English speak, but no doubt you will be able to communicate.

• Like 1

The links you supply are not what I would call gated or secure. These are moobans or housing estates. There are very few proper secure gated communities.

I see you are looking at Welta's site. Pleasant lady who speaks good English but be aware she charges 10% commission which one way or another you will pay for.

Best get out and look for the For Sale private boards. Some owners might have limited English speak, but no doubt you will be able to communicate.

For a few 1000 more, you can get a newer & nicer place in BAngTao.....

• Like 1

I'll definitely have a look at Bangtao. My preference is to be away from the main tourist areas, which are generally close to the beaches. I like the East Coast because it seems much less developed and still 15 mins to the beach by car.

2 bedroom is not going to work for me unfortunately as I have 3 kids + 3 dogs.

I have contacted Welta, as well as Siam Realestate. I understand that there will commission involved, but it may have to be the price I have to pay based on the my time line and not currently living in Phuket.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Paklok and Thalang are cheap for a reason. If you follow the local news you will soon find that those areas are rife with crime, much of it drug related(meth). Also the location is somewhat isolated, away from everything that is nice about Phuket such as beaches which were mentioned before. Personally I would never consider living there.

If you are bringing kids here you will probably be best off finding a place near the school they will be attending. Traffic is on par with Bangkok and will quickly make your life a living hell.

If schools aren't a concern, as others have mentioned, you can find a Thai-style box house for 15-18k baht in most of the west coast beach towns.

2 bedroom is not going to work for me unfortunately as I have 3 kids + 3 dogs.

I have contacted Welta, as well as Siam Realestate. I understand that there will commission involved, but it may have to be the price I have to pay based on the my time line and not currently living in Phuket.

You will need to ensure that dogs are allowed in the rental contract. 3 dogs might disuade many owners.

The owner usually pays the agent out of the rental charge. Be careful that the agent does not try to charge you too.

The agents are all aware of our dog situation so hopefully this has already been brought up with the landlords prior to visit. If the agents are anything like they are here in China, then this is wishful thinking, however it does seem like the subject has at least been mentioned.

2 kids are school age and we are looking at Thai Hua. I will confirm next week when I am in Phuket as I have been using a third party to help me with the language barrier. If so, then Thai Hua is Phuket Town. I'd prefer not to live there. Will it be to much of a commute from Paklok/Thalang?

@yaiJung - I really didn't realise that crime was a big issue in Phuket. I will certainly be looking into this situation when I make my choice. Thank you for the heads up.