Where to Live? Gated Community vs Non-Gated Community

davidjg

Pa Klok - Thai Hua School commute. You could not have picked a busier commute, and at the busiest time of the day. Plus there are 2 major underpass projects to further slow you down (if you chose the more direct bypass route). Google maps shows a 23.8 Km drive in 25 minutes. Doubt the 25 minutes (each way) would be possible in rush hour. More like 35 - 40 minutes each way.

3 dogs - I don't think you need to worry about crime in your home.

Pa Klok - Thai Hua School commute. You could not have picked a busier commute, and at the busiest time of the day.

<snip>

3 dogs - I don't think you need to worry about crime in your home.

He could, Rawai to anywhere past Chalong circle is a real pain, and will get even worse when they start building the underpass the governor has said will come.

Totally agree.

@LivinginKata - Maybe I will have to rethink location then. Another option in my budget was Phuket Town South. Would this be a more viable option?

2 of my dogs would struggle to take down a butterfly. I do have one though that will hopefully ensure that burglars will think twice!

@LivinginKata - Maybe I will have to rethink location then. Another option in my budget was Phuket Town South. Would this be a more viable option?

2 of my dogs would struggle to take down a butterfly. I do have one though that will hopefully ensure that burglars will think twice!

I would not worry about burglars anyway, crime is really far less of a problem than some people make it out to be.

But be careful where you're going to live, I just to stay in Ao Makham, wanted a dog, but in that area, 99% muslim, I really could not have one.

• Like 1

If you want to reduce your school commute then Phuket Town or Phuket Town south would be a much better solution. But your 15,000 baht budget for a 3 bedroom might be a problem.

I had a look at Welta's site for a recommendation, but not one of the options allowed pets, and that includes your Pa Klok /Paklok options already quoted. I'm telling you 3 dogs in a rental property is going to be a problem.

If you want to reduce your school commute then Phuket Town or Phuket Town south would be a much better solution. But your 15,000 baht budget for a 3 bedroom might be a problem.

I had a look at Welta's site for a recommendation, but not one of the options allowed pets, and that includes your Pa Klok /Paklok options already quoted. I'm telling you 3 dogs in a rental property is going to be a problem.

Aside from the fact that 3 dogs in a muslim area will soon become 0 dogs FAST!

What are the Muslim areas to avoid with dogs? On my short stay there, it seemed like the majority of areas I drove around seemed predomiantly Muslim. I really don't want to end up in an area where I will have to watch my dogs' backs every minute. Nothing against Muslims in general, just fear for the well being of my dogs. They are like an extension of our family.

@LivinginKata - These were the 'Pet Friendly' houses that I plan to see in Phuket Town South

http://houseinphuket.com/houses/LTR/b0964/

http://houseinphuket.com/houses/LTR/s0006/

A little above what I wanted to pay, but i figure it's low season so shouldn't be too difficult to get one of them down to 15k. Do you know much about this general area?

One thing here that is different than most places in the world, is quite often landlords will not come off their price, even if the unit goes vacant for a long period of time.

• Like 1

@LivinginKata - These were the 'Pet Friendly' houses that I plan to see in Phuket Town South

A little above what I wanted to pay, but i figure it's low season so shouldn't be too difficult to get one of them down to 15k. Do you know much about this general area?

One thing here that is different than most places in the world, is quite often landlords will not come off their price, even if the unit goes vacant for a long period of time.

Really? Do you happen to know the business logic behind that? Seems bizarre that you would lose money holding out for a price you think is right instead of taking the cash that is right in front of you. I guess it's built in the culture somewhere but itmakes absolutely no sense.

Really? Do you happen to know the business logic behind that? Seems bizarre that you would lose money holding out for a price you think is right instead of taking the cash that is right in front of you. I guess it's built in the culture somewhere but itmakes absolutely no sense.

The business logic is that they believe or their friends told them thats what is worth, so it must be true! TIT

3 dogs i would be staying away from most of Bang Tao, my mate has had 2 dogs killed this year! If you can see a mosque from your house, your dogs will not be safe. I am sure I will be flamed for this, but thats my experience.

See if you can see any local houses with dogs OR wild soi dogs, if not then you can probably guess why not

land and house on Chao fa might be an option but you will need up ur budget.

most landlords do not want dogs, pets, means cats, birds, fish

Thai's set a price in their heads and thats what they want, if they dont get it they really dont care. Look at the numberous empty shop houses on the island.

Moslem,

Kamala, Bang Tao, areas up north and east.

What are the Muslim areas to avoid with dogs? On my short stay there, it seemed like the majority of areas I drove around seemed predomiantly Muslim. I really don't want to end up in an area where I will have to watch my dogs' backs every minute. Nothing against Muslims in general, just fear for the well being of my dogs. They are like an extension of our family.

never mind where you live your dogs are part of the family,but don't think because you have one who can take care of himself,that will not protect him being poisoned by some cruel twit who wants whats yours.

my dog is my son and any twit wants to rob me has got to kill me first and the wife second,he is all we got so we are very protective of him.

I know its everyone's dream to live by the sea when they retire but if you have limited funds Thailand by the sea is not the place to live expecially with 3kids. come to korat,nice city,good schools,and a nice zoo with a large swimming pool and you wont pay tourist prices.

• Like 1

@meatboy - I hear what you are saying and completely understand. Our dogs are an extension of our family (sometimes more so than the kids!) but I am not quite ready for retirement quite yet. Will definitely take a look at Korat when i am!

Within Phuket Town itself, the accommodation is typically apartments/condos. Go further out to the residential estates of (north) Rassada, south (Vichit or Chalong) and there are far more options. Unless you're considering an area which is virtually wholly Muslim (Cape Panwa, certain areas of the north west coast, and virtually anywhere north of Phuket Town on the east coast) you shouldn't have a problem with dogs.

Just a comment on the dogs. What's your plan to walk/exercise them? The house/garden requirements are understood, but dogs need exercise also. A good area to exercise dogs (under control) is around the Kathu reservoir area, and Kathu is also a good source of rented accommodation. Beaches are to be avoided, though there are a few non-tourist beaches where dogs can actually swim and not be a problem to other people.

To the OP. What are you afraid of?

My biggest fear, and I do mean, biggest fear, are those brown skinned, skinny dark haired, brown eyed, small breasted lovely grin creatures that lurk all over the island. tongue.png

Living in a gated community is like living away from Thailand. This ain't Manhattan!!!!blink.png

To the OP. What are you afraid of?

My biggest fear, and I do mean, biggest fear, are those brown skinned, skinny dark haired, brown eyed, small breasted lovely grin creatures that lurk all over the island. tongue.png

Fruit bats are strictly vegetarian. There is no reason to fear them.

Its not only Thais that think that way

You would be surprised at the lack of knowledge as far as running a business goes here

Thats if you have ever run a business outside of Thailand

I have always been happy renting small homes in a rural setting. As long as there are secure bars on the windows I feel very safe and content .

Until Thais buy next door and build houses on the property line to begin 3 AM karaoke and plastic rubbish burning- but only when the wind is blowing toward my house and not theirs. Then I move which is why I recommend you only lease for 3 years, and lease cheap.

I have no idea how foreigners stand those gated Moo ban places usually named " Garden ..." something or another, but where there is not one tree, the homes are 1 meter from the next, and they disintegrate into Krakow looking ghettos within the year of being built.

Where I'm at now for last 3 years has been fantastic, a real forest preserve next door, and only birds singing.

However 2 rai with 10 old growth trees has just been chopped down about 100 meters from me and a foreigner with his illegal nominee land holding company will be sticking in 12 pool " villas" so good bye peace and quiet and hello rowdy, vacationing hordes.

Edited by EBlair48

I have always been happy renting small homes in a rural setting. As long as there are secure bars on the windows I feel very safe and content .

Until Thais buy next door and build houses on the property line to begin 3 AM karaoke and plastic rubbish burning- but only when the wind is blowing toward my house and not theirs. Then I move which is why I recommend you only lease for 3 years, and lease cheap.

I have no idea how foreigners stand those gated Moo ban places usually named " Garden ..." something or another, but where there is not one tree, the homes are 1 meter from the next, and they disintegrate into Krakow looking ghettos within the year of being built.

Where I'm at now for last 3 years has been fantastic, a real forest preserve next door, and only birds singing.

However 2 rai with 10 old growth trees has just been chopped down about 100 meters from me and a foreigner with his illegal nominee land holding company will be sticking in 12 pool " villas" so good bye peace and quiet and hello rowdy, vacationing hordes.

How do you go about finding one of these? Sounds exactly like what I would be looking for. Would you know of anything like this in relatively close proximity to Thai Hua School? It seems the only option to be close enough to school but far away enough from the town would be Kathu.

doubt 15,000 will get u a 3 bedroom house anywhere on the island.

plenty of gated communities around golf courses but for a 3 bedroom ur looking at 40-60,000

Never lived in one,never would

Depends on area and style.

Around Thalang, Paklok and the north of the island properties in this price range are readily available, mainly in the more Thai orientated communities.

SDM

Is a condo with a gate and security guard regarded as a gated community?

Swimming pool, fitness center, security, onsite restaurant etc without the hassles of maintaining any of it.

Most condos units are empty 70% of the year so you pretty much get the facilities to yourself if you are renting long term

• 2 weeks later...

How do you go about finding one of these? Sounds exactly like what I would be looking for. Would you know of anything like this in relatively close proximity to Thai Hua School? It seems the only option to be close enough to school but far away enough from the town would be Kathu.

I don't know where that school is but you probably need to get out of the south end of Phuket. It's just too congested, Thalang has a lot of properties like this. When I need to move, I usually just spend a day driving around andI leave notes on properties I'd like to rent. Have it written in Thai and with a Thai speaker's phone number to respond with, and you'll get Thai prices.

Lots and lots of homes with land near PIA school, ( on the east side of 402 .) Have no info on that school though.

btw

My landlord wants to sell, drop me a PM if you're interested, it really is a good price and already has a foreigner owned Thai co that comes with it.

I live in a gated community, although not in Phuket. We have plenty space and neighbors are at a distance. We have 8 big trees etc.

There are some advantages. One being that the place is taken care off, we have large private parks, a lake, no traffic going through etc.

There are aspects that I do not like. For example the relatively high fees for the village, the constant meetings about everything and the need to get approval for simple things. Give you an example, when we switched from True satellite to a cable provider we needed to get approval for them to install the cable...

Anyway there are pros and cons for both options. I would recommend renting for a year and spend the time looking for what suits you and your family best.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1