Thai Police officers keep an eye on people's homes over holiday

webfact

POLICE'S CAMPAIGN
Police officers keep an eye on people's homes over holiday

The Nation

30231496-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- The number of homes nationwide placed under police guardianship during the April 8-17 holidays has risen to 3,471 - including 925 in Bangkok, the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) secretary-general said yesterday.

The scheme to have owners let police take care of their houses while they enjoy the long holiday break was supervised by Pol General Pongsapat Pongcharoen.

Police are assigned to visit all houses registered with them under the scheme so that owners will be worry-free while on holiday.

Pongsapat yesterday visited houses under Bang Chan police station's care.

In Bangkok alone, Chokchai police station had the highest number of participating homes at 52, followed by Hua Mark (33), Tha Kham (30), Bang Na (28) and Lat Phrao and Min Buri (25 homes each).

Among other provinces, Provincial Police Region 1 is caring for the most homes. Samut Prakan has reported the most participation at 149, followed by Nonthaburi with 73 and Pathum Thani with 52, he added.

Pongsapat also inspected Khan Na Yao district's Surao Daeng community, which was reportedly among the city's top five drug-risk areas.

Others included Pathum Wan district's Wat Doung Khae community, Don Muang district's Saphan Poon community, Bang Khen's Bang Bua community and Bang Kho Laem's Wat Phraya Krai community.

Pongsapat also called at the Surao Daeng community's mosque, where the ONCB held anti-drug camp activities for some 170 youths from the neighbourhoods from April 5-14.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-15

The number of homes nationwide placed under police guardianship during the April 8-17 holidays has risen to 3,471 - including 925 in Bangkok, the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) secretary-general said yesterday.

Big Brother coming to Thailand.... lol, I prefer the army, because I don't trust a police force that is entirely controlled by Thaksin,...LOL

Edited by MaxLee

I can report from personal experience that this scheme was tried throughout Britain decades ago and was dropped as unworkable plus had potential legal problems.

The scheme was introduced in Thailand years back, was roundly criticised and disappeared.

In the force I served in at the time the main problems were police visiting a house at regular times 24/7 drew attention and it wouldn't be long before it was clear the house was unoccupied and there was the crucial legal question of liability should the premises be broken into while under police stewardship. There were other issues too that soon made it clear the scheme was a non-starter.

It's easy to see there are trust issues here apart from anything else and a good neighbour is a far better bet.

Have the same thing in Australia for decades (Absent from Residence) The police are not allowed onto the premises unless something untoward is noticed, ie a suspect vehicle in the drive or outside. Police will just patrol these areas and make an entry on running sheets.

This is a hysterically funny post. Wonder if it was written by George Carlin, from his grave? Imagine the police in Thailand performing a public service? Stretches the imagination to the point of breaking. They are a revenue collection agency. Why would they protect your home? What incentive do they have? Think about it.

• Like 1

Like hiring foxes to watch the chickens? cheesy.gif

..but IF the foxes really.. REALLY.. promised, then surely the chickens can leave the empties out and, basically, come and go as they please, all with the total peace of mind of knowing what helpful, caring foxes they have as both their guardians and neighbours, no? wai.gif

Would be interesting to know how many of the guarded households belong to police officers. Do they trust their own to keep an eye on their homes?

Other interesting information would be knowing how many of these houses had break-ins during this time, and how this figure compares with the national average.

This is a hysterically funny post. Wonder if it was written by George Carlin, from his grave? Imagine the police in Thailand performing a public service? Stretches the imagination to the point of breaking. They are a revenue collection agency. Why would they protect your home? What incentive do they have? Think about it.

The incentive...is to have unrestricted access to the vacant home...I could not rest for a moment...if my home was under police surveillance while I was away...

I can report from personal experience that this scheme was tried throughout Britain decades ago and was dropped as unworkable plus had potential legal problems.

The scheme was introduced in Thailand years back, was roundly criticised and disappeared.

In the force I served in at the time the main problems were police visiting a house at regular times 24/7 drew attention and it wouldn't be long before it was clear the house was unoccupied and there was the crucial legal question of liability should the premises be broken into while under police stewardship. There were other issues too that soon made it clear the scheme was a non-starter.

It's easy to see there are trust issues here apart from anything else and a good neighbour is a far better bet.

Same - it was done away with in Edinburgh about 25 years ago and as you say the 'neds' were quick to latch on to the Police attention and it was easy pickings for them particularly in 'slag' areas.

• Like 1

They charge a thousand baht here in hua hin, they did one on out street and I watched them daily sign a piece of paper in the letter box with date and time. They never once even looked at the house let alone walk around it. Waste of time and money.