Is it illegal to modify a motorcycle in Thailand?

papa al

This interests me also,, I'm considering buying an older bike, and customizing it myself,,, some "real" answers would be great,,,

I live in Pattaya and the police have definitely stepped up their game in regards to modified bikes of late. saying that I guess they are not too bad I have a heavily modifed SR400 and since changing the colour and putting on a quieter exhaust they rarely pull me over anymore.

For reference the below pics are of a stock SR400 and my modified one.

2012-Yamaha-SR400_2.jpg

polishedupandreadytogo_zpsd0869fc3.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

art vandelay, on 15 Apr 2014 - 21:26, said:

i remember 10 odd years ago the craze was for teenagers to take every unnecessary part off their motorcycle. and for them to tinker with the exhaust so they would scream around the streets, thankfully that has stopped.

Not in my soi it hasn't grrrrrrrrr

i got stopped 3 days running on the railway line on soi siam country club. each time the cop did me for a modified exhaust on my ER6. it was a very quiet pipe compared to most but he revved the thing to the rev limiter to get the noise at a level he wanted. a 500bt fine every day. on the 3rd day they revved it up but it was still quieter than the harley my mate was sat on beside me, his was idling on screamin eagles. he didnt get a ticket.

people are also getting fined 200bt in pattaya fror riding with the rear pegs down when you dont have a passenger.......???

I padi 500 thb a couple of times at hua hin too.

Apart from that, i always modify my bikes and never fined for anything else.

It is not illegal to modify your bike as long as you put parts passed from certain thai standards such as a TIS stamp.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is not illegal to modify your bike as long as you put parts passed from certain thai standards such as a TIS stamp.

Iam keen to have my pipe passed as legal.

How do I do this ?

A friend got a ticket for mod. exhaust here in chiang Mai 5,000baht 2,500for exhaust and 2,500for environmental reduced to 2,500at police station

Laws regarding mods to exhausts do not apply in Phuket.

Lots ans lots of morons drive these very noisy bikes up and down Chao Fa,,, appearing to enjoy the noise...

How do I do this ?

Why not placing a fake TIS stamp?:D You are a competent mechanic, i know it from your posts!

Also a rider friend told me before that you can get the pipe in greenbook somehow and keep it legally there. I ll ask it again if this is true. If yes, we will find the way to salvation.

Edited by ll2

How do I do this ?

If you bought a quality exhaust it should come with a Euro 3 Cert. Mine has a cert like a credit card.

The main problem with mods is insurance so just get Por Ror Bor insurance for the bike and personal accident insurance for yourself. You'll be covered for 2-3 times the amount for the same price. Of course theft and damage to your bike won't be covered.

Edited by ATF

The main problem with mods is insurance so just get Por Ror Bor insurance for the bike and personal accident insurance for yourself. You'll be covered for 2-3 times the amount for the same price. Of course theft and damage to your bike won't be covered.

Alway mod my bikes and never ever had a problem with insurance.

+1 My insurance company gets a 360° collage of high res photos for their database every year. All good with them.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Edited by Garry

+1 My insurance company gets a 360° collage of high res photos for their database every year. All good with them.

Technically the Insurance Co. could try to not honor a claim if you have increased the BHP of the bike. They will try everything if big money is involved. Just a heads up.

This interests me also,, I'm considering buying an older bike, and customizing it myself,,, some "real" answers would be great,,,

I live in Pattaya and the police have definitely stepped up their game in regards to modified bikes of late. saying that I guess they are not too bad I have a heavily modifed SR400 and since changing the colour and putting on a quieter exhaust they rarely pull me over anymore.

2012-Yamaha-SR400_2.jpg

polishedupandreadytogo_zpsd0869fc3.jpg

You did a great job on it . It came out nice. I thought you may have rattlecanned the red paint but it looks like a professional job for sure. The flared bell on the exhaust gives it a cool look.

The bike almost looks like it isn't even a SR model & the stripes give it a classic racy look to it!

I have a curiosity question for this thread, does anyone else get a photo taken off their bike at the DLT inspection station and loaded on the database against their registration information? It didn't bother me whatsoever, I'm just curious. smile.png

When I changed the colors at the DLT I had 5 people checking out how the Chamelion paint job alternated between blue, purple, Teal Green & brown. they were scratching their heads how to enter the 2 colors allowed for color but no one snapped any pics. Did the take pics of your engine numbers or frame numbers? It kinda seems like the DLT & the cops have the same thing in common & make on the fly judgment calls for different offices or cops. Good thing they don't get anal about seat modifications . Probably 50 % of all bikes & scooters foam or gel pads added or reshaped to make them comfortable or with the Thai kids slim & less comfortable! The laws here remind me of TSA checkpoints in the U.S. whatever they feel like goes.

Edited by Beardog

You did a great job on it . It came out nice. I thought you may have rattlecanned the red paint but it looks like a professional job for sure. The flared bell on the exhaust gives it a cool look.

The bike almost looks like it isn't even a SR model & the stripes give it a classic racy look to it!

Thanks, yeah it came out OK.

The paint is rattle cans and is straight off the gun so to speak.

BBQ Baked to let the paint flow out nice and smooth.

bbq_zps8fd119e3.jpg

That camee out pretty good for cans ! I am trying to get the 2 part aresol can on the top & a paint jar down below so I can mix the enamel hardener & thinner for touch ups & small jobs. They really work good & the paint will last as long as a bigger paint job. Shipping the aresol cans are the bummer. It is only about 210 baht for the set up & the only thing extra needed is the aresol cans. If the U. S. Postal ok's it I will getone for sure with extra cans.If you are real carefull it won't spit at all.

bbq_zps8fd119e3.jpg

Note to self: beware of invites to Spoonman's pad for a bbq. :D

You may like this http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/ I use it on my guns but now they have a high temp version for engines and exhausts http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/ It's ceramic and can be applied to plastic or metal either air cured or baked. Baked is best, just put it in the oven. They say you need to sandblast but as long as you give the surface a good sanding it'll be fine but you must soak in acetone before spraying.

Edited by ATF

bbq_zps8fd119e3.jpg

Note to self: beware of invites to Spoonman's pad for a bbq. biggrin.png

cheesy.gif

Haha, yes we will keep this in mind.

All good guys. thats the BBQ the missus uses for what ever rancid is on the target for lunch.

The one that cooks the steak is kept polished in my man cave.

You had me worried for a moment there :D

• 10 months later...

There has not been talking about stickers so,

Im gonna buy a second hand bike. Its colour in greenbook is green but it has been stickered from ears to toes. So the "colour" of bike is with the stickers: white, black, green, some blue red and yellow biggrin.png Otherwise the bike is in original colours under the stickers.

The point for my question: Does it matter how many stickers there are changing the visible colour when the paint and basic original colour of the bike is identifiable from the Tank? In this case the Tank is Green and the colour greenbook is green..

Edited by Sandei

• 1 year later...

I have ridden my Harley here in Chiangmai and everywhere in thailand, the south, easan, kanjanaburi, the north, everywhere...and i have been stopped 3 different times ...once for having blue turn signals (Lampang), they said the exhaust was too loud (Chiangmai), and also because my license plate is on the side of the bike near the rear, instead of centered over the tire (Chiangmai).. never had to pay a fine, warned...although there is no law on the books...usually it's an attempt to get a payment... i have thai license, etc....but...am not thai... and i haven't changed anything of the above ...still ride the same bike... u can come up with your own opinion as to why, and your probably right