4 days in upcountry Thailand and all I got was fleas...

OK, well not me but our dog, she is absolutely covered in fleas and ticks - I mean there seems to be hundreds, if not thousands of the damn things.

She's gone from being nice and clean living inside our house to spending four days living in the yard at the village shack and she's absolutely filthy.

She's had injections, which I thought would prevent this but maybe it only prevents disease from the ticks and not the ticks themselves??

Anyway, she's going to have a big bath today, is there any particular brand of dog soap that you use to get rid of ticks and fleas?

We've got some green coloured natural stuff but it's useless.

What would you recommend?

Also share any other tips or tricks you might have to stop these nasty little critters from biting my favourite four legged friend.

Thanks in advance.

There are so many threads on this forum about ticks and how to get rid of them that you have to make your own choice.

Whatever you choose, however, it will probably involve the unpleasant task of removing the ticks one by one. Then (my vet gave me this) you cover the tick-damaged areas with Tick-Tox Powder to prevent reinfestation. Unlike most of these 'remedies;', this one seems to work.

A good natural way to get ticks to “move out” is a natural “anti-bug-balm” made of citronella, peppermint and eucalyptus. Many drugstores have that kind of balm. After a bath and manual treatment, rub the balm in the fur/skin and leave it. Need to be repeated daily or twice a day for a period of time, you can see if the ticks still stay on the “host”.

maswov, on 16 Apr 2014 - 17:41, said:maswov, on 16 Apr 2014 - 17:41, said:

Go to the vet and get Frontline. You should have been using this every month anyway even if the dog lives in the house.

OK, I have to ask, where is "up country?" If on Phuket it could be Ranong, Bangkok it could be Khon kaen. I'm in Mukdahan so it could be Nong Khai. I might add, I've been in Muka for 18 months, so far, no fleas or ticks, so am guessing I am not "up country."

Edited by Rorri

Fleas are nasty little buggers to get rid of...even if you kill all the adult fleas...the thousands of eggs will hatch for up to 10 days thereafter...and you will have an on-going problem...

They will hide in your home...carpet...rugs...drapes...as well as clothes...they especially enjoy feasting on children's feet and legs...

You will need to treat the dogs outside area also...they thrive in sandy soil...

Go to a vet...pay a little extra...to get something that will get rid of them...once and for all...good luck!

Invermec is a wonder drug for treating ticks, fleas and as well as internal parasites such as worms.

It can be given orally or as an injection. I buy mine from a vet in Phuket town. He provides it in a syringe drawn directly from the bottle. He charges me 100THB per 5ml. I give it orally to my critters after calculating the correct dosage based on their weight. I have a little dish and I put some soya bean cooking oil in it, then squirt in the correct measure of Invermec, then mix together using another (needle less) syringe. Then I grab the critters and squirt their dose down their necks. They meow and woof a bit...but they are always flea and tick free.

• Like 1

There are these drops in a phial that you can administer yourself... just get them onto the skin at the back of the neck once a month.

Available for cats too.

I bought some when I was last in the UK only to learn they were made in Thailand!

maswov, on 16 Apr 2014 - 17:41, said:maswov, on 16 Apr 2014 - 17:41, said:

Go to the vet and get Frontline. You should have been using this every month anyway even if the dog lives in the house.

OK, I have to ask, where is "up country?" If on Phuket it could be Ranong, Bangkok it could be Khon kaen. I'm in Mukdahan so it could be Nong Khai. I might add, I've been in Muka for 18 months, so far, no fleas or ticks, so am guessing I am not "up country."

I am not sure where the OP was talking about specifically but I have hears people refer to Issan as upcountry. It really doesn't matter where it is, fleas and ticks are everywhere and frontline really works well.

We give our golden retriever a Bayer product, Advocate, every month, it cost about 300 baht. It is an ampul with a fluid and it is given in the neck hair and goes into the skin and prevents ticks, fleas, heart worms and much more.

We buy it at the vet and it is very effective.

Goldie runs in the jungle and high grass and it is very rare we have to remove ticks from her fur. We live in Phuket.

Funnily enough, our local vet has just started selling this, I saw it when I was in there yesterday. I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Is Frontline the injection?

Our dog had an injection to stop ticks about 3 weeks ago, which was her first treatment as she is only 4 months old and the vet said it is only suitable for dogs older than 3 months. Anyway, as I said int he OP that first injection didn't seem to work as she was covered in hundreds of the damn things! We went back to the same vet yesterday and she gave her a booster injection, which after checking this morning seemed to have made an improvement, with a lot of the ticks now gone.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll look into Frontline.

Cheers

Fleas are nasty little buggers to get rid of...even if you kill all the adult fleas...the thousands of eggs will hatch for up to 10 days thereafter...and you will have an on-going problem...

They will hide in your home...carpet...rugs...drapes...as well as clothes...they especially enjoy feasting on children's feet and legs...

You will need to treat the dogs outside area also...they thrive in sandy soil...

Go to a vet...pay a little extra...to get something that will get rid of them...once and for all...good luck!

Yes, we are having the whole house fumigated on Saturday as a precaution!

We give our golden retriever a Bayer product, Advocate, every month, it cost about 300 baht. It is an ampul with a fluid and it is given in the neck hair and goes into the skin and prevents ticks, fleas, heart worms and much more.

We buy it at the vet and it is very effective.

Goldie runs in the jungle and high grass and it is very rare we have to remove ticks from her fur. We live in Phuket.

Indeed, works great, I've been using it on my rottie for 2 years now, every month, I pay 400 baht though, maybe coz my dog is probably heavier !

Frontline - expensive and a waste of money, 9 times out of 10 does not work in SE Asia. Maybe ok in Europe for fleas, but not out here on ticks.

Invermec - excuse the pun - the dog's <deleted> - nothing better, and relatively cheap too.

ivermectin is injectable or oral and not specifically for dogs but livestock howveer used all over the world for bovines, caprines, canines and amazingly enough in parts of africa, humans. (frankly i also thought of using it, my vet did use it on himself for whatever reasons, but yes, can be used).

frontline/advantage/kill tix/ etc all kill and repel either/or ticks of various types and/or fleas and also certain kinds of flies that are found in various countries. however, not all products work in all areas. in my own little area in israel non of these work. for the past two years we have all had to use other products for horses. we also recommend amitraz , but the agricultural products, they are super strong, so check for use on toy breeds (chihuahuas are not allowed to use it). for large dogs living up country i.e. in fields, forests etc, we have found it works the best.

the other product for horses, certain livestock and dogs (not cats!) is ultrashield permethrim and friends but in much higher percentages then in the usual over the counter anti tick stuff for dogs. we used it on heavily furred lhasa apso, and on the floors ceilings and stairs when we had a tick infestation. used on boxers, labs and white german shepherd of friends and neighbors, one bottle worked for about three dogs and my small one. it saved the day when nothing else worked. cost a fortunre and only got through a feed store for horses at least here, in israel. now i notice they have in pet stores also ...

http://www.absorbine.com/gaTracker.php?file=assets/downloads/dealers/fly-control/ultrashield-ex-32oz-spray/ultrashield-ex-32oz-spray-label.pdf

do not take infestations lightly. htey cause several severe diseases in dogs and a few possibly in humans (dont know about thailand for human tick diseases but there are two or more tick vector diseases for dogs. get the dogs to a follow up blood check for babesia and tick fever.)