Stopped by police whilst riding motorbike... First time!

arnold40844

What do you mean being in the outside lane?

On one occasion I was busted in Bangkok for being in the outside lane, cost me 200 baht, call me stupid, but 10 minutes later I was busted again for the same thing. The first Policeman was very very happy to see me and take the money, the second was angry and just shouted at me about "Thailand, left-side", then told me to go !!

Motorcycles are restricted to the left-hand lane, you are not permitted to ride in the middle or right-hand lane, eg Sukhumvit Road with three lanes

You ever been on Suk., bikes all over the place,never seen anybody stopped to pay a fine.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A reminder, most accidents happen within a few kilometers from home.

I'm astonished by the tourists with no helmet, short pants, and flip flops. And they have zero riding experience.

Don't let the size of these little Hondas lure you into thinking it's safe. OP has a ton of experience so will be okay on the roads, but those tourists are ignoring helmets and drinking are accidents in the making.

OP it's easy to get your Thai license. Passport, Residency permit, medical certificate and you've got it.

Also use ziplock bags for things like DL, passport( or photocopies) wallet etc.

I'm not a tourist, always ride with flip flops and shorts, 2,000 + km to Nong Khai and back a few months ago. Off after Songkran to Kanchanaburi and Chiang Rai, will take some protection....suncream :)

Wow,my hero!

• Like 1

Here it is 80 baht for no helmet and 400 baht for no license.... Looks like you were hit for no license.

Biggest mistake you made was to speak Thai.

Most police can't be bothered with the frustration of trying to explain the procedures, just speak in your own language in future.... 9 out of 10 times, they just wave you on... Most police speak no English.

Good advice......but speak proper English for Pete's sake! Why do people speak pigin English when talking to non-native speakers?

THB 400??? That's a lot. I keep THB 200 under my seat and when stopped and asked to produce my papers (I don't have a Thai M'bike licence but I do have a Thai 5-year Car Licence) I just open the seat up and as soon as they see the THB 200 ... thanks ... no questions asked.

Until you have an accident.How slack can you be,rather pay a fine than get a licence.

Here it is 80 baht for no helmet and 400 baht for no license.... Looks like you were hit for no license.

Most police can't be bothered with the frustration of trying to explain the procedures, just speak in your own language in future.... 9 out of 10 times, they just wave you on... Most police speak no English.

Good advice......but speak proper English for Pete's sake! Why do people speak pigin English when talking to non-native speakers?

It's pidgen - get it right, for Pete's sake. Or Somchai's

I hate it when the Thai police don't understand the Queen's English.

<snip>

Yes, they could have ticketed you for no license because your national license is not enough. Thai law states that you need an International Driver's Permit (IDP) and it MUST be accompanied by your national license to be valid since all the international is supposed to represent is a translation of your national license though none of the translations are in Thai. Nevertheless, that is what the actual law is.

Incorrect. Thai law states that as a tourist foreign licenses are legal as long as there is a reciprocal agreement between Thailand and your country. This applies to most people.

Edited by NomadJoe

What if you have an accident on your bike. What if a child is injured and requires expensive medical care. You don't have any Insurance. The child is going to die unless you pay for the hospital care.

What will you do ?

Pay....just a guess though.

• Like 1

It's pidgen - get it right, for Pete's sake. Or Somchai's

I hate it when the Thai police don't understand the Queen's English.

It's pidgin English.

I taught English to the police before the Asian games in Bangkok. Needless to say, I never got any fines during that period.

The bike does have some sort of insurance or whatever is required as a minimum... Thats a very extreme way of looking at it and to say that riding up and down local Soi's on a moped you could kill a child... I find that very unlikely... If we live our life planning for the absolute worse things that could happen in any situation there would be no point in getting out of bed.

But to answer your question if I did hit a child in my Soi and they were gravely injured, I'd do whatever was required to make sure they got the absolute best medical attention available.

What if you have an accident on your bike. What if a child is injured and requires expensive medical care. You don't have any Insurance. The child is going to die unless you pay for the hospital care.

What will you do ?

• Like 1

Quite frankly I don't think there is a rhyme or reason to the fines charged. The police simply charge what they want. I live in Chiangmai. I drive a Honda PCX and was stopped recently. I was wearing a full helmet but my Chinese passenger(he looks Thai) wasn't. I have my Thai motorcycle license. The officer asked for 400baht...I only had a 500 note and, of course, did not get change. Interesting to note that while engaged in this process I can't tell you how many un-helmeted Thais AND a few Farangs went whizzing right by without getting pulled over. Guess my officer needed some drinking money! The real pisser here? Less than 1km from this point we went around a corner and yet another police stop and yes, I was flagged over yet again! The officer that took my money did NOT give me any kind of paper or ticket so I had no proof that I had just gone through this! I couldn't believe that this was going to repeat itself in less than 3 minutes from when it had just happened. Fortunately for me this 2nd officer believed my plea. He asked, "How much?" I told him 500B. and he then waved me off.

My only question is this: In this kind of situation, is a ticket normally issued or not? I had a Thai friend say no because, officially, it never happened so there should be no document. Others have told me yes. However, I remember being concerned that the officer that took my money had written up a complete ticket in his book with all my information. I noticed he didn't remove the ticket from his book nor did he give me anything...so I was wondering if later I would receive something in the mail and then I'd have to go to a police station or somewhere and then pay yet again. That didn't happen though. I don't speak any Thai so it's not as if I could have asked the officer for my ticket.

What's the consensus? Ticket or no ticket????

Quite frankly I don't think there is a rhyme or reason to the fines charged. The police simply charge what they want. I live in Chiangmai. I drive a Honda PCX and was stopped recently. I was wearing a full helmet but my Chinese passenger(he looks Thai) wasn't. I have my Thai motorcycle license. The officer asked for 400baht...I only had a 500 note and, of course, did not get change. Interesting to note that while engaged in this process I can't tell you how many un-helmeted Thais AND a few Farangs went whizzing right by without getting pulled over. Guess my officer needed some drinking money! The real pisser here? Less than 1km from this point we went around a corner and yet another police stop and yes, I was flagged over yet again! The officer that took my money did NOT give me any kind of paper or ticket so I had no proof that I had just gone through this! I couldn't believe that this was going to repeat itself in less than 3 minutes from when it had just happened. Fortunately for me this 2nd officer believed my plea. He asked, "How much?" I told him 500B. and he then waved me off.

My only question is this: In this kind of situation, is a ticket normally issued or not? I had a Thai friend say no because, officially, it never happened so there should be no document. Others have told me yes. However, I remember being concerned that the officer that took my money had written up a complete ticket in his book with all my information. I noticed he didn't remove the ticket from his book nor did he give me anything...so I was wondering if later I would receive something in the mail and then I'd have to go to a police station or somewhere and then pay yet again. That didn't happen though. I don't speak any Thai so it's not as if I could have asked the officer for my ticket.

What's the consensus? Ticket or no ticket????

Ask for a ticket. Make it official.

USA humor: What do you call someone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet? Organ donor.

I am in Florida at the moment. They have managed to repeal the helmet law here. I would estimate only 20-30% riders wear them now.

One of the main reasons I got the bike in the first place was that I was sick to death of getting Soi bikes just go to my local gym. I literally thought I was a gonner on several occasions after the guy locks up the front wheel in rush hour traffic, weaving through cars like we are being chased by a stampede of elephants and beeping the horn every 10 seconds to let everyone else know that under no circumstances will he use the brakes....

When I go for rides down local Soi's, its a calm , slow and relaxing experience.

USA humor: What do you call someone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet? Organ donor.

I am in Florida at the moment. They have managed to repeal the helmet law here. I would estimate only 20-30% riders wear them now.

Doctors in FL maybe tell their patients awaiting an organ transplant: Let's see what's available after Daytona Beach Bike Week.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Interesting to note that while engaged in this process I can't tell you how many un-helmeted Thais AND a few Farangs went whizzing right by without getting pulled over. Guess my officer needed some drinking money!

Typical and expected. They can't stop everybody and seeing others pulled over acts as something of a deterrent. They also tend to stop those who look like they can pay, but not always.

Maybe your officer needed drinking money or maybe not. No point in thinking about it. Pay and be on your way ASAP. I hate corruption but OTOH I hate going to the police station even worse.

They never stop me unless I've done something egregious--as I do sometimes, driving like a Thai (been here too many years). Somehow I don't have "the look," as in, "looks like he don't know shit and needs be relieved of a few baht he don't need." Might have something to do w/ wearing a good helmet and at least minimal protective gear.

Right, did not know that.... Thanks. Will have to go get this sorted but to be fair its a lot of hassle just to avoid the possibility of an occasional small fine. Its like with my visa, a consultant the other day wanted 50,000 to sort me out with a 1 year visa, its only a 20,000 fine if I dont bother to get one at all.....

Also UK full licence does not cover scooters over 49cc so unless you have Motorcycle group pass then even with IDP, still invalid - if you live here just go get your licences...

A Thai DL is a useful document. Helps prove your identity w/o your passport, hotels sometimes let you use it in lieu of a passport, and it shows your address, so that you can even copy it for your 90-day report. Often prevents dual pricing at parks and entertainment venues.

Take the test once and just renew every 5 years thereafter. Well worth having.

I'm astonished by the tourists with no helmet, short pants, and flip flops. And they have zero riding experience.

Don't let the size of these little Hondas lure you into thinking it's safe. OP has a ton of experience so will be okay on the roads, but those tourists are ignoring helmets and drinking are accidents in the making.

OP it's easy to get your Thai license. Passport, Residency permit, medical certificate and you've got it.

Right. Lady living in our soi didn't get 100 meters before she hit a soi dog and crashed. Got off lucky, all considered, and thereafter always wore a helmet.

Firstly i can speak Thai a lot better that I made out in that post and secondly is that opposed to not being in deep sh1t if you do have a Thai licence???

I have been here since last July, first time in Thailand. Were not born with the knowledge of how to sort out a licence in Thailand and given that I have been here less than a year, technically speaking I thought my licence is still valid for me to drive here?? Or am I wrong, please correct if I am, do tourists need to apply for a Thai driving licence when they rent a car or motorcycle?

"pom England Licence".

"Mai, Sonkran nam" "

"Chai Chai Chai, I pay fine".

I think he fined you for your use of Thaiglish. cheesy.gif

Do you know you would be in serious sh1t if you caused an accident with no license.

I get stopped all the time and they nearly always smile and wave me on. In 20 years I've only been fined about 3 times. One for driving at 157 km/hr, once for going down a one-way street, once for going into the wrong toll way booth.

I explained that pretty well in my post Arnold; a post you "liked". A National License does not make you legal. It must be accompanied with an IDP (International Driver's Permit) which is only good for 1 year. It does not matter what your status is; expat living here or tourist, the laws are the same for everyone. Other than having a valid National License along with a valid IPD, you would need a Thai License to be legal. Just because there are a lot of police that might let you go with a National License "only" does not make it legal.

There are tons of posts on getting a Thai Driver's License. If you need information you can't find then PM me.

Edited by oneday

I'm not a tourist, always ride with flip flops and shorts, 2,000 + km to Nong Khai and back a few months ago. Off after Songkran to Kanchanaburi and Chiang Rai, will take some protection....suncream smile.png
I was simply pointing out that flip flops and shorts are not appropriate gear to ride a motorbike.

If you want to not protect yourself from the possibility of accident, go ahead.

the "I did it and I'm ok argument" does not validate it.

Not appropriate according to you! I could never have done that trip in full leathers, boots and full face helmet, heat stroke would have caused a possible accident.

Of course it validates it. The way people preach about do this, do that or............ I fail to understand why people think they know what is better for me, as long as what i do affects nobody. why are you interested?

Better to be interested in the cause of accidents, that what to wear if one happens.

• Like 1

Pretty much the last straw for me was on the back a Soi bike and the guy actually answered his phone whilst weaving through traffic controlling the bike with one hand...... I mean seriously.. Neither of us wearing helmets....

One of the main reasons I got the bike in the first place was that I was sick to death of getting Soi bikes just go to my local gym. I literally thought I was a gonner on several occasions after the guy locks up the front wheel in rush hour traffic, weaving through cars like we are being chased by a stampede of elephants and beeping the horn every 10 seconds to let everyone else know that under no circumstances will he use the brakes....

When I go for rides down local Soi's, its a calm , slow and relaxing experience.

I'm not a tourist, always ride with flip flops and shorts, 2,000 + km to Nong Khai and back a few months ago. Off after Songkran to Kanchanaburi and Chiang Rai, will take some protection....suncream smile.png

Wow,my hero!

sarcasm, the lowest form of whit! Just saying how I do things, please wrap yourself in cotton wool and be safe.

Think you did the right thing,maybe if you had your licence,it would have been 200 b ,thats my understanding of what the Thai's generally pay,maybe they fined you falang price,better not to argue with them,as it could work out more expensive and inconveinient[ie go to police station etc], plus i know the temptation of not riding with a helmet,but it only takes a few yards of travel to get hit,i rarley use the bike now always the car,also getting the Thai licence is easy just make sure you get a translation of your uk licence for them.

You don't need to get your UK license translated.

I Had to get my Australian licence translated so i cannot see why a uk one would be different,however it seems to be different procedures for everyone to get a thai licence,i did not have to do the computer test or attend the lecture yet some of my friends have.