Is Footwear Offensive?

Ratsima

I wonder how many of you find the following website to be offensive. It is the website of a Thai footwear manufacturer Thai Aree.

http://thaiaree.com/about-us-2/

The website contains the following photograph:

CP_PIC002.jpg

I've been told that portraying footwear is offensive to Thai culture. Is the website of this Thai footwear manufacturer considered to be offensive?

If the footwear was portrayed on top of someones head, that would be extremely offensive.

totster smile.png

Or if the poster was placed above where people were seated, like in a restaurant or subway.

My neighbor had a party and hung a picture of the King playing a musical instrument up for the occasion. It was viewed with skepticism by some Thais as possibly looking like the King was performing for the guests, even though this was not the intention. People interpret things in strange ways.

Edited by donniereadit
  • Like 1

One would think wearing sandals with socks as many of our more senior farangs do in Thailand is offensive in any culture

I don't wear sandals, but there are a lot of elderly people with foot problems and foot problems related from illness (diabetes, neuropathy etc) who need to wear socks to stop shoes/sandals rubbing, I can understand choosing sandals being a hot climate. It's not the ideal fashion statement, but I have noticed that quite a few Thai hottie's seem attracted to this type of footwear in elderly men.wink.png

Crocs are the most offensive and ugliest shoes ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, but damn are they comfortable and practical !

Depends which Crocs, these corduroy are sooo soft and comfortable.

1127470-p-DETAILED.jpg

• Like 1

1127470-p-DETAILED.jpg

And definitely not offensive to display footwear as such.

Offensive is the relation between foot (!) and head as others said.

Displaying a dirty sole of foot as such is also considered offensive (specially in real life not pictures alone).

That is why Thais will always try to hide their sole of foot and don't let point forward for others to see.

Edited by KhunBENQ

in Australia it was crocs in summer and ugg boots in winter and they are purely for comfort, dont know about you but I dont give a sh*t what anyone else thinks of what I wear on my feet, I dress so I feel comfortable, not to please them. I go out I dress accordingly but when casual, casual is what I do.

thailiketoo, on 17 Apr 2014 - 09:40, said:thailiketoo, on 17 Apr 2014 - 09:40, said:
thailandbeachisland, on 17 Apr 2014 - 09:33, said:thailandbeachisland, on 17 Apr 2014 - 09:33, said:

Worn by men any slippers or sandal shoes are offensive.

Worn by small feet hotties they look so hot <3

Didn't Jesus wear sandals? Was he offensive?

A hint, he was nailed to the cross. sad.png

Edited by Vacuum
  • Like 2

thailiketoo, on 17 Apr 2014 - 09:40, said:thailiketoo, on 17 Apr 2014 - 09:40, said:
thailandbeachisland, on 17 Apr 2014 - 09:33, said:thailandbeachisland, on 17 Apr 2014 - 09:33, said:

A hint, he was nailed to the cross. sad.png

By guys wearing sandals.biggrin.png

• Like 2

1127470-p-DETAILED.jpg

Jeez all you need with them are a smoking jacket

• Like 1

He would be if he wore socks with them

You do know it snows in Israel? I think walking barefoot (in sandals) in the snow would not have been good.

Edited by thailiketoo

Feet are offensive in Thai culture? Give me a break. A revolting habit in Thailand is for people to pull their legs under them in public places, with their shoes or bare feet touching the chair or sofa they're sitting on. You see this all the time in coffee shops and restaurants. Seriously, do this at home but not on a fabric sofa in Starbucks, which is just disgusting. annoyed.gif So it's offensive to SHOW the sole of your foot, but rubbing it on the seat of a chair is OK?

Edited by sundrenched

Feet are offensive in Thai culture? Give me a break. A revolting habit in Thailand is for people to pull their legs under them in public places, with their shoes or bare feet touching the chair or sofa they're sitting on. You see this all the time in coffee shops and restaurants. Seriously, do this at home but not on a fabric sofa in Starbucks, which is just disgusting. annoyed.gif So it's offensive to SHOW the sole of your foot, but rubbing it on the seat of a chair is OK?

Countries have many different traditions and habits that you are not used to. I suggest a good book on Thai culture. If you don't like it don't come to Thailand. Or perhaps you could discuss it with the government when they get one. It wasn't to long ago when men wore skirts here! Can you imagine that? Skirts and god knows what underneath sitting on the same chairs as you and I. Wow talk about disgusting. Only in Thailand eh? Or are there other countries where men in skirts and no knickers are allowed to sit on chairs? Naw. Must be only in Thailand. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Countries have many different traditions and habits that you are not used to. I suggest a good book on Thai culture. If you don't like it don't come to Thailand. Or perhaps you could discuss it with the government when they get one. It wasn't to long ago when men wore skirts here! Can you imagine that? Skirts and god knows what underneath sitting on the same chairs as you and I. Wow talk about disgusting. Only in Thailand eh? Or are there other countries where men in skirts and no knickers are allowed to sit on chairs? Naw. Must be only in Thailand. biggrin.png

Kilts.

1127470-p-DETAILED.jpg

Jeez all you need with them are a smoking jacket

Got one biggrin.png

He wasn't, until he started walking on peoples drinking water in those.

"I have led you forty years in the wilderness; your clothes have not worn out upon you, and your sandals have not worn off your feet" (Deuteronomy 29:5)

Fits the description of many ex pats. wink.png

• Like 1

Some men in Scotland wear skirts (they may be tartan, but they are still skirts) During the 2nd WW, soldiers from kilted regiments were forbidden to go upstairs on double decker buses or trams. I wonder why that was.

Some men in Scotland wear skirts (they may be tartan, but they are still skirts) During the 2nd WW, soldiers from kilted regiments were forbidden to go upstairs on double decker buses or trams. I wonder why that was.

I have got a Scottish mate who gets really miffed, if I ask him, if he is wearing his dress, and has he got a matching handbag

One would think wearing sandals with socks as many of our more senior farangs do in Thailand is offensive in any culture

And wearing short trouser and flip flops when out for dinner is a show of not having any culture. Of course the socks are the icing on top of it.

Maybe off topic,but have you noticed no one in Thailand seems to have foot odour,this is because sandals ,flip flops allow the feet to breath,i can imagine any Thai going to live in europe or another cold climate area being appalled at some of the stinking shoes ,trainers ,socks they would encounter,a freind of mine in the uk would only change his socks when he could tap them on the floor in the morning so stiff and stinking had they become.