Thai Festival 2006 - London, August 13th

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news on Mr BoJangles or Scouser (if he has the time with his new Service Co.)

Sorry wolf, only just seen this thread (been way too busy in the world cup thread of late) :D

I'll ask MrsJangles tonight and see if her mate in Laandon can put us up. Hope to see you all there :o And i'll give Scouse a call later.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of Info ...on the wire..... :o

Media Release

Thai Festival Sunday 13th August 2006 On Sunday 13th August, Battersea Park once again plays host to the 12th Annual Thai Food & Culture Festival.

Presented by The Thai Restaurant Association of the UK, this colourful event attracts thousands of Londoners every year with dozens of food & craft stalls, several bars and live Thai themed entertainment. It is a glorious summer celebration of Thailand’s exquisite food and distinctive culture, a great family day out and the highpoint of London’s Thai social calendar.

This year’s event is made extra special as it coincides with the 60th Anniversary of the King of Thailand’s accession to the throne. The King is a die-hard jazz fan and this will be celebrated by a unique collaboration with London’s famous Vortex Jazz club, who have arranged for leading Jazz singer, Juliette Kelly, to appear at the festival. Juliette will be performing jazz renditions of the King’s songs arranged by Harvey Brough of Harvey and The Wallbangers.

London’s Thai Expats will also be excited to hear that famous Thai comedy actress, country singer and entertainer, Janet Keaw, is flying over especially from Thailand to host the festivities.

She will introduce the exotically dressed Thai dancers, musicians and kickboxers who will be on stage to entertain the crowds throughout the day.

Naturally, the festival is a tremendous treat for lovers of Thai Food. Authentic Thai street food is available from dozens of stalls representing restaurants throughout the UK. Visitors wishing to try their hands at Thai cooking can also watch demonstrations and purchase authentic recipe books. Several stalls also stock hard to find fruits, vegetables, curry pastes and spices.

The festival starts at 11am and ends at 7pm, costing £3 entry.

All ticket holders will be entered into a prize draw with the chance to win prizes which include a 5 star holiday to Bangkok and 3 pairs of flights to Thailand. :D

To discuss editorial coverage, promotions and publicity for the event, contact ......edited out by me..R

Agree.....Didnt notice the discrimination......£5 quid to get into a Field...that is getting a bit EXPENSIVE................WOT

Its supposed to be a bit of a family outing but that is WAY over the TOP....

First time I went they held it over 2 days..Sat/Sun and Thai Airways ran the beer tent and the "Do"was FREE

Keep that up and it will go the way of the DO Do bird......5 quid.... :o

Yep, I remember that too Rin, used to get beautiful Thai girls walking about giving away chilled cans of Birdie and other Thai drinks.

Last year it was £2.50 I think (though I got in free). It is a cheek really as they change a small fortune for the stalls too. All to rent a bit of land and a few dozen porta-loos. Especially given that there seems to be bigger crowds each year (except maybe last year, what with the storms and then the bomb scare!)

Best was a few years back when there was two beer tents (Chang and Singha) - good competition.

Edited by wolf5370

....used to get beautiful Thai girls walking about giving away chilled cans of ......

yes they most certainly were.......sue--ai.....

I have sent an email to the organisers to verify if this EXTORTIONATE entry fee is correct and have been told that its ....£3 but have requested verification and confirmation..just in case.....

40,000 punters await with bated breath...... :o

They were doing bag checks here and there (random I guess - just after London bombing don't forget), but didn't notice anyone getting anything confiscated.

Year before last I turned up with a picnic basket and three bags of food, fizz and alcohol and set up a picnic on the grass verge with a couple of dozen friends - even got filmed by the TV Channel 9 (that always seems to be there) - no one said anything.

Having said that, sometimes the people on the gate can get a bit power hungry and make up their own rules as they go along (just to really set the scene of being in LoS!!! :o ). Best just to say that its for the Monks as an offering that should shut 'em up.

....used to get beautiful Thai girls walking about giving away chilled cans of ......

yes they most certainly were.......sue--ai.....

I have sent an email to the organisers to verify if this EXTORTIONATE entry fee is correct and have been told that its ....£3 but have requested verification and confirmation..just in case.....

40,000 punters await with bated breath...... :D

Simon... (replied but bounced back)

Thanks for your quick reply however point raised concerns the posting on the Local Authority web page suggesting that after 12-00 noon on the day the Entry "fee" will be increased to £5 ... Lots of familes/organisations/customers etc.

(I have a group of at least 20-30 ) will have already been told that its ....£3 a head...all day...

What do you think?...true /not...

Regards

Terry

If you dont mind I will post reply on Web sites ...thanks...

www.thaivisa.com

Reply from Simon...Ignite Marketing ..The Organisers

GOOD NEWS :o

Hi Terry

The festival is £3 all day, a higher charge at mid-day was mooted as costs have risen dramatically. However this was rejected.

The festival will feature 15 food stalls this year, Chang are running the bar, jazz singer Juliette kelly will be singing some of the King of Thailand's songs and Janet Keaw will be the host.

The raffle includes a 3-day holiday to Thailand with Hotel Dusit Thani as well as 3 pairs of return tickets courtesy of Thai Air.

More info at www.thaifestival.org.uk

Simon Nash

Ignite Marketing

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 020 7275 8682

Mob: 07957 596044

Address: Unit 17C Raines Court, Northwold Rd, London, N16 7DH :D

Its the beer prices that I am worried about. :D

You might also have noticed over the years that most of the Thais who visit the fest. (said most)dont actually BUY anything..they all tend to bring their own(f&:D hence a bit supprised about earlier comment ref no outside food allowed.

Also have you noticed how many squeeze in /push up to the Chang tent.. :D ...verrry few ...its all the Sarf London boys...init..plus the likes of UZ lot....ex-otic beers..etc....memories of "appy days in cowboy....wivv little Lek :D

I tend to pick up a dozen tins of Carling from the wee paki guys shop just opposite the tube station....good price and he keeps it cold for me (every year)..plus it goes down well with my cheese and onion sandwiches...... :o .....Wot?

Its the beer prices that I am worried about. :D

You might also have noticed over the years that most of the Thais who visit the fest. (said most)dont actually BUY anything..they all tend to bring their own(f&:D hence a bit supprised about earlier comment ref no outside food allowed.

Also have you noticed how many squeeze in /push up to the Chang tent.. :D ...verrry few ...its all the Sarf London boys...init..plus the likes of UZ lot....ex-otic beers..etc....memories of "appy days in cowboy....wivv little Lek :D

I tend to pick up a dozen tins of Carling from the wee paki guys shop just opposite the tube station....good price and he keeps it cold for me (every year)..plus it goes down well with my cheese and onion sandwiches...... :o .....Wot?

how much are the alcoholic beverages' then....??????? :D ,

I heard it from someone else Rin. and now it is on the web site

"For security purposes, bag searches will be carried out at the entrances. Please do not bring your own food or drinks to the Festival as these are provided on site. Exceptions will only be made for water or in special circumstances" :o

From here:- http://www.thaifestival.org.uk/information.html

It looks like they are using security reason's to make you handover your sarnies, so that you spend more inside

Edited by mrbojangles

"For security purposes, bag searches will be carried out at the entrances. Please do not bring your own food or drinks to the Festival as these are provided on site. Exceptions will only be made for water or in special circumstances" :o

It looks like they are using security reason's to make you handover your sarnies, so that you spend more inside

Last time we went, it was really hot and most people were sitting on the grass outside of the enclosed section. It was a sun-trap inside there. :D

Also, a few old Thai women were walking round selling their Kong Warn for a £ a go. I had had a few scoops by then and had to pinch myself, which park was we in, Battersea or Lumpini? :D

Last year it was £10 for 6 bottles or beer with a free Chang bandana. Never bought less that the six, so don't know how much each.

£1.66 a bottle...i can live with that........who took home the most bandanas......... :o

I just found this on another site about the security and food etc. Someone e-mailed the organiser and received this reply:

"Thanks for your message.

I'm not sure if it was you that contacted us last year to complain about this but I received a number of complaints about the behaviour of the security staff last year, mostly with regard to the confiscation of food and drink. These were all passed on to the Thai Restaurant Association who organise the event and this year a new firm has been hired. Whilst food and drink is not allowed into the festival, exceptions should be made for items such as baby milk or water. Specific instructions have been made regarding the categories of food and drink allowed into the festival and we all hope that more sensible decisions are made.

I hope you enjoy the festival"

Simon

Simon Nash

Ignite Marketing

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 020 7275 8682

Mob: 07957 596044

Address: Unit 17C Raines Court, Northwold Rd, London, N16 7DH

Aha, this is the thread I should have looked at before! Well if anyone is going down to Battersea via M1 ish / Derbyshire way and has room in a minibus for one more, let me know and I would be willing to chip in, would love to go down for some singhas and som tam!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple of weeks.

Wolf, my mobile phone number is the same as on the list from last year, if you want to give me a call.

I've talked about 8 or 10 of my work colleagues into meeting me there. We're planning to make an all-day affair out of it.

Should be a great time. Let's hope the rain stays away this year!

Cheers!

:o

Afraid we wont make it :o We are a driver down next friday night, so they need me to work saturday night to get the job done. I probably wont be back home until 2 or 3am so really wont feel like driving all the way to london and back in a day :D Sorry lads and lasses, hopefully though you will all have a lovely day and the weather will be good :D

Im affraid that me n mrs rio666uk wont be there "again" this year...

We're getting the keys to our new house this Thursday so will be busy moving etc... not to mention that our driver for the day (Daleyboy) isnt gonna be able to make it.

Yours eagerly awaiting our new house - but p*ssed off its the same weekend as the TFF :o

(maybe next year eh :D )