Should ASEAN change to driving on the left side?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than for the use of inches, I don't see too much of the use of imperial here

And dispute all the comics out there, most Thais drive on the left, most of the time.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Rai, Wah (plus teraung wah), ngan, sen, yot, kuep, neiw (inch), yip (yip meh), thung (tank full), baht (gold weight - also thamkleung, chang, hahp), kwian (cart load), fai meu, kam meu, and I guess a lot more too - many used for specifics like grain, gold, length of line, etc - all still in use though :)

Thailand manufactures a lot of cars for Japanese companies - this is why Japanese cars are cheaper here (no import taxes), if they drove on the right then this may impact the benefit of Japanese companies manufacturing here (maybe move to Malaysia or India where they still drive on the left).

About 61% of the world country wise drives on the right - the other 39% drives on the left (75 countries on the left and 122 on the right I believe). By car ownership its about 75/25 (lot of car owners in USA which skews it - higher populations in countries such as China and India has less impact as ownership is less too and China is RHS vs India LHS).

It must be hell to ever change the side of the road that cars use. Has any major country every tried it. I saw on a recent Top Gear that Burma moved from the left to the right but most cars there are still right hand drive.

I remember reading about a Scandinavian country that did it - basically at a set hour all cars had to swap sides - it was chaos as you can imagine! There is a big side cost too with signage changes, slip roads turned around (usually entry feeders are longer than exits for speed filtering reasons), cats eyes, road markings, traffic lights, speed cameras, traffic cameras, road sensors (at lights/railway crossings/weigh bridges/etc), tolls booth changes, parking lot changes (usually have to change position of pay booth/bars/sensors/painted arrows and lines), as well as changes to the law, legislation on insurance (to stop everyone's policies suddenly being hit big time for have the steering wheel on the wrong side), insurance premium losses (due to the last point limiting the gains without compensating for loss of the ones previously paying for wrong-sided steering wheels), border crossing point changes, risk assessments on road banking/camber/flyover curve/mountain roads/etc (cars will be approaching from a different side from the intended use of curved, cambered and banked roads so they need to be risk assessed and new speed controls/limits imposed as necessary) and so on.

It is no small undertaking - and just not worth it here - they are used to land borders involving lane switching - other than Malaysia all neighbours drive on the right (Burma does now after changing). With huge import costs here - who would import a car from a neighbouring state anyway? Just rent here or use a taxi/driver/public transport.

I was in Okinawa when they switched from the right to the left side. It was interesting, to say the least.

As far as the question posed by the OP, taking China out of the equation makes no sense. China is sitting there with 20% of the world's population, and ignoring it to try an justify a stand is not logical.

I would argue that as a right handed person, I would rather use my right hand to shift a car, but that is merely personal preference. One thing that is not personal preference, though, is that Thailand is an automotive manufacturer. Shipping Thai-made autos to Australia, Japan, and other left-driving nations coincides with the manufacture of autos for the domestic market. However, the export market for right-hand-drive cars is much, much larger than for left-hand-drive cars. From a business strictly business sense, it would be better for Thailand to focus on the larger market and have their domestic market be the same.

How many of those 2 billion plus people own and drive cars? Most are poor - or live out in the sticks where road lanes are non existent or at least non important. Just like in India.

Ridiculous point really, there is no need to change. The UK is part if the EU, and has not changed, and will not change. Countries should have more important issues to be dealing with.

And with Ferries and the Channel Tunnel, there is a lot of cars going in both directions. At the exit of the Eurotunnel there are several big signs in multiple languages saying "Remember to drive on the Left/Right" (depending on which end of course). Its not difficult to drive on the opposite side of the road, it is slightly more difficult with the steering wheel on the wrong side due to the mirrors and visibility etc - and the need to change the light reflectors on the front.

If anything, Asean will conform to a Chinese standard whistling.gif

Not the other way around. But probably will remain as is. (just my guess)

Below from wiki Red drives on the right side, Blue drives on the left

800px-Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_r

The reason we drive on the left is, when England had its knights of old, they would ride their horses on the left in case the encountered an hostile rider coming the other way. It actually freed up their sword hand for combat if needed. And looking at the red sectors on the map the greatest majority looks where the British Empire was.

Yes this is true - it came from the Romans (i.e. the idea was based on earlier Roman rules) who marched on the same premise, on the left, so troops could pass in opposite directions without chaos, but sword hand was to the centre and shield was to the left (off road) where arrows were more likely to come from. In feudal times it also stopped the sword scabbards (worn on the left) from impacted and tangling with those coming the other way, and as most people dismount to the left of a horse, made it easier to dismount at the road side rather than the middle.

Many say the French decided on right just to be the opposite of the British (their eternal enemies) - which followed that much of mainland Europe followed suit. However, before the French Revolution (1789), France also rode on the left (those with carriages anyway) - the main reason they changed to the right during the revolution and just afterwards was simply to look less aristocratic! Denmark made right compulsory in 1793 and France followed in 1794 (in Paris only - no rules for the rest of France). Napoleon helped spread it alter. Many countries fighting Napoleon stayed left until at least the WW I (Portugal / Austria / Hungary / UK). Russia also forced Finland to swap sides (after 50 years of ownership!)

It wasn't nationally compulsory in the UK until 1835 by the way. USA drove on the left until after the Revolution where it was changed mostly for the reasons people say France did - bloody mindedness. Canada was mixed left and right up until WW II ! (French areas drove on the right others on the left). Newfoundland swapped in 1947. Portugal and all its empire changed in one day (in the 1920s) - excluding those who neighboured left hand driving countries - East Africa, Macau, Goa, etc. East Timor (Indonesia still drives on the left and is next door) changed, but Indonesia changed it back again in 1975.

Italy was fun - in 1890 they changed from left to right unless the city had a tram system (which was installed on the left) in which case it didn't change. Rome and the northern cities of Milan, Turin and Genoa still keep left until 1925/6.

Spain had no national rules until the 1930s. Previous to that it was at city level - some left, some right. The break-up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire caused no change: Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and Hungary continued to drive on the left. Austria drove both left and right depending on city (depending on whether Napoleon had conquered that town or not!). Hitler forced the change to the right in 1938 (also with Czechoslovakia and Hungary changed in 1939 same reason). Vienna went right for traffic, but trams still were on the left!

British Gibraltar changed to right in 1929 (simply because it made sense being attached by road to Spain - although it actually predated the Spanish national legislation by a year smile.png). China changed in 1946 to the right for no real reason other than Mao said so. Korea changed with American and Russia taking control on VJ day. Pakistan nearly changed in the 60s but chickened out ( The main argument against the shift was that camel trains often drove through the night while their drivers were dozing. The difficulty in teaching old camels new tricks was decisive in forcing Pakistan to reject the change - Brilliant biggrin.png).

Sweden changed in 1963 (at 5am 3rd Sept, Sunday) even though 83% of the population voted against it. Iceland changed in 1968.

Even the UK considered changing in the 60s - but never got as far as a referendum - mostly due to cost. Today, only four European countries still drive on the left: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta.

//Edit: "there" / "Their" - hate that ~ Cringe!

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1

is it just me,

but i thought the thais just drive whatever side they like,

even on the hard shoulder going the wrong way,,

they have tried changing things with roundabouts,,,lol,, its he who dares wins at them,, they just dont have a bloody clue,,

i keep saying to the wife, everybody gives way to trafic from the right,,,lol,, then it works good,

but as the old saying,,,, T I T,

jake

With roundabouts it is, Right of way should be given to people coming on to the roundabout (i.e. in a left hand side country, people from the right) - however in some countries this is reversed too (like France I think - this ends up with roundabouts becoming gridlocked as people on the roundabout have right of way - so no one can join it and clear if they want to go straight on).

Every educated man of substance knows that driving on the left is the right side to drive, along with all the other things we gave the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CS1cUIxBVg

Very funny videolaugh.pnglaugh.png

Though I wish the comedian spoke English 'cause some times I could not understand a word he said.

PS : you guys drive on the Left we drive on the Right, even with people as challenged with the English language as the Brits are, it should be obvious which is the right side to drive on

RIGHT???tongue.png

Feeling up you GF with your left hand, what a bunch of <deleted word> laugh.png

left to the imagination what the deleted word wastongue.png

Edited to explain delition

So do I but unfortunately he's a Southern 'Jessie'

Two reasons we don't Feel up our GF's when driving;

1. We need the left hand to do manual gear changes (Yes we can actually drive 'Real' cars with 'Real' gears not just autos) I believe you refer to them as a stick shift my good man?

2. Feel the GF up whilst driving....? Heaven forbid my dear fellow, one can not do this as any good Brit would be getting Head off the GF already! whistling.gif

(I inserted 'Head' for all our colonial friends) 'proper' term is getting a Good Gobble! w00t.gif

Joking apart, we were always taught it did stem from defending yourself on horseback and the fact you could draw a sword with the right hand/arm from the left across your body to defend against an attacker.

• Like 2

Wolf5370, You said, " Rai, Wah (plus teraung wah), ngan, sen, yot, kuep, neiw (inch), yip (yip meh), thung (tank full), baht (gold weight - also thamkleung, chang, hahp), kwian (cart load), fai meu, kam meu, and I guess a lot more too - many used for specifics like grain, gold, length of line, etc - all still in use though :" All of those are Thai measurements, not Imperial.

I would argue that as a right handed person, I would rather use my right hand to shift a car, but that is merely personal preference.

I agree! And the same it is with all the main switches and the Radio, CD player ect.

I lived in Austria for decades and living now since many years in Thailand, I have a good notion of the differences.

My opinion, if you are a more one handed, right hand person, driving on the right side makes it more easy and secure.thumbsup.gif

Ridiculous point really, there is no need to change. The UK is part if the EU, and has not changed, and will not change. Countries should have more important issues to be dealing with.

Good that we have them, the UK, mostly isolated on an island. tongue.png

Think of them in the middle of Europe same Austria with 8 bordering countries, including tiny Liechtenstein, which drive all on the other side of the road! blink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Every educated man of substance knows that driving on the left is the right side to drive, along with all the other things we gave the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CS1cUIxBVg

Very funny videolaugh.pnglaugh.png

Though I wish the comedian spoke English 'cause some times I could not understand a word he said.

PS : you guys drive on the Left we drive on the Right, even with people as challenged with the English language as the Brits are, it should be obvious which is the right side to drive on

RIGHT???tongue.png

Feeling up you GF with your left hand, what a bunch of <deleted word> laugh.png

left to the imagination what the deleted word wastongue.png

Edited to explain delition

So do I but unfortunately he's a Southern 'Jessie'

Two reasons we don't Feel up our GF's when driving;

1. We need the left hand to do manual gear changes (Yes we can actually drive 'Real' cars with 'Real' gears not just autos) I believe you refer to them as a stick shift my good man?

2. Feel the GF up whilst driving....? Heaven forbid my dear fellow, one can not do this as any good Brit would be getting Head off the GF already! whistling.gif

(I inserted 'Head' for all our colonial friends) 'proper' term is getting a Good Gobble! w00t.gif

Joking apart, we were always taught it did stem from defending yourself on horseback and the fact you could draw a sword with the right hand/arm from the left across your body to defend against an attacker.

Very hard for our women to give a good "Gobble" while being hit on the head with a stick shift,that's why we invented the Automaticbiggrin.png. And when I say stickshift I do mean the devise used to change gears.laugh.png

I read about the horse riding sword drawing theory some place , but why let facts interfere with a good argument tongue.png

PS: I have no problem driving on the left side when I am in Thailand the only problem I have is that I am so used to my signal switch being my left every time I make a turn in Thailand I turn on the F#*n windshield whippers. Easy to spot an American driving in Thailand. laugh.png

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

Thailand manufactures a lot of cars for Japanese companies - this is why Japanese cars are cheaper here (no import taxes), if they drove on the right then this may impact the benefit of Japanese companies manufacturing here (maybe move to Malaysia or India where they still drive on the left).

About 61% of the world country wise drives on the right - the other 39% drives on the left (75 countries on the left and 122 on the right I believe). By car ownership its about 75/25 (lot of car owners in USA which skews it - higher populations in countries such as China and India has less impact as ownership is less too and China is RHS vs India LHS).

The debate was actually lost when China finally decided to choose the right. Initially it was going to be a whim - Left was good because LeftWing Communism was good. Not so long ago the Chinese who could afford cars had a lane reserved down the centre of the road....

Burma also changed on a whim, including to spite the British colonialists, but retain a large number of vehicles fitted with steering on the rhs of the car..

Of course China will eventually supply more cars than the Japanese..........

Edited by bangon04

• 7 months later...

ASEAN countries driving on the right side and following the metric system sounds about the right thing to do.

Please explain the connection between the metric system and driving on the right! Thais use both imperial and metric system if you hadn't noticed so drive on both sides!

and understand neither, ask em how many millimetres in a centimetre

we all know who wants it to be on the right, makes it easier for them, why change what is working here, god forbid it is hard enough for them now, if they changed side it would be total carnage....

Edited by seajae

Other than for the use of inches, I don't see too much of the use of imperial here

And dispute all the comics out there, most Thais drive on the left, most of the time.

Even 9 year olds can do it laugh.png But they will get confused if right side is adopted.

And who will pay for the conversion of all cars to left hand drive in Thailand? There are good reasons for having left hand drive hen driving on the right.

I doubt that borders will be opened up that much to traffic to warrant changing road sides.

The debate was actually lost when China finally decided to choose the right. Initially it was going to be a whim - Left was good because LeftWing Communism was good. Not so long ago the Chinese who could afford cars had a lane reserved down the centre of the road....

Burma also changed on a whim, including to spite the British colonialists, but retain a large number of vehicles fitted with steering on the rhs of the car..

Of course China will eventually supply more cars than the Japanese..........

FYI that is nonsense spouted by Jeremy Clarkson, they have mostly right drive cars because they get many of their cars from Thailand due to past sanctions and that it is easy for them to get the left overs from Thailand.