Playing the Farang card

naboo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pigeonjake, for starters, it would drive me nuts to hear my relatives-by-marriage say "falang dont like to see litter all over the garden" when they damn well know your name. The rest of the stuff wouldn't sit real well with me, either.

You're right, you need to politely, but firmly set boundaries from the beginning of any relationship. Same in the west. Hubby didn't want me giving keys to our place to my parents when we lived in the same town. Fair enough -- they weren't paying the bills.

I guarantee you when your relatives are talking to strangers about you, with you around, they call you falang.

Why, do you have a name that's difficult to pronounce? Have they not yet come up with a suitable Thai nickname for you? Falang is hardly a suitable nickname.

Did they do this while you were dating your tiirak? If so, this should have been a real clue to what was in store. It would have been like me going to visit my husband's three uncles and their families before our marriage and finding they all referred to me as "Girlee" in talking about me when I wasn't around.

• Like 2

Pigeonjake, for starters, it would drive me nuts to hear my relatives-by-marriage say "falang dont like to see litter all over the garden" when they damn well know your name. The rest of the stuff wouldn't sit real well with me, either.

You're right, you need to politely, but firmly set boundaries from the beginning of any relationship. Same in the west. Hubby didn't want me giving keys to our place to my parents when we lived in the same town. Fair enough -- they weren't paying the bills.

I guarantee you when your relatives are talking to strangers about you, with you around, they call you falang.

Why, do you have a name that's difficult to pronounce? Have they not yet come up with a suitable Thai nickname for you? Falang is hardly a suitable nickname.

Did they do this while you were dating your tiirak? If so, this should have been a real clue to what was in store. It would have been like me going to visit my husband's three uncles and their families before our marriage and finding they all referred to me as "Girlee" in talking about me when I wasn't around.

It is nothing to do with what the individuals name is, the generic of 'the Falang' is standard use.

Forget any western notions of politeness, or courtesy in using a persons name, it i scultural to refer to the foreigner in the third party.

It may seem like total ignorance to an intelligent westerner but that is the way it is in many/most parts of Thailand.

Retaliate by referring to your hosts as 'khun Thai' (the grammatical equivalent) and you will not be popular.

• Like 2

Maybe if they compare habits between Thais and westerners but I'm pretty sure mine would say my name. Even if she was angry she would still not call me farang but that's because she has like thousand other names in her vocabulary she can use.

I'm happy to play the stupid foreigner to get around unnecessary inconveniences. Luckily in Bangkok I don't need it often, the city is already foreigner friendly.

The only times I really use it are:

a. To avoid paperwork. Signing up to a gym, phone, getting something delivered, etc. 'I don't know any of these details, im foreign sorry, now here is my money', cuts out all of it.

b. If I cant get an appointment somewhere. If its urgent I will just arrive and pretend like im supposed to be there. 'sorry, I thought it was today.. oh im here now'.

Edited by celso

How many of you guys that play the farang card remember back in your homeland some woman, maybe your GF or your mate's wife, the lady across the road, who played the "I'm just a weak girl" card, or some other gender-oriented card, to get her way? And how many of you thought "manipulative bitch"?

Deliberately playing the farang card is giving all farang a bad name. Thanks guys. Good to see how proud and honourable you are, taking advantage of people, from laziness or slyness, or just a conscious lack of respect.

• Like 1

OP, you did nothing wrong.

If something bothers you, take it out straight away with any family member or Thai person.

They have that excuse, if they don't like something......Thai culture doesn't allow this or that.....Bullshit.

They don't like it, they bring Thai culture into play.

And don't forget, you are the boss, they should respect and wai at you and not the other way around.

Ahhhhh.....feel better now.

I don't see my mother-in-law waiing me first anytime soon and why on earth would she?
  • Like 1

I thought the farange card, was insisting on the Thai price of anything and everything in thailand?

thats the way I played it, and if I wasnt satisfied, I would wait for my thai girl to approach the situation, and have her do it for me,

once I learned there was a two price scheme, I made sure to eliminate it, or walk to the next merchant, every time.

How many of you guys that play the farang card remember back in your homeland some woman, maybe your GF or your mate's wife, the lady across the road, who played the "I'm just a weak girl" card, or some other gender-oriented card, to get her way? And how many of you thought "manipulative bitch"?

Deliberately playing the farang card is giving all farang a bad name. Thanks guys. Good to see how proud and honourable you are, taking advantage of people, from laziness or slyness, or just a conscious lack of respect.

You would be just right about farang card....IF the Thai wouldnt always pull their this is Thailand cards on us!

Making a game that stucked against us (outnumbered, badly) a bit more fair; now isnt that fair play?! :)

You would be just right about farang card....IF the Thai wouldnt always pull their this is Thailand cards on us!

Making a game that stucked against us (outnumbered, badly) a bit more fair; now isnt that fair play?! smile.png

Mmmmm, I see your point....and you could be right......in some cases.

Some guys, though, are just plain deliberately rude and superior and use it, not to even the playing field, but to get away with their own disgraceful behavior.

To use the Western woman analogy again; In a male dominated office, say, full of chauvinists, her acting coquettish to achieve an end is understandable, and I wouldn't say "manipulative bitch", but there are manipulative bitches who will play the woman card at every opportunity and truly are manipulative.

There is always some form of manipulation going on, with any female, as they do not have the physical ability we have, so it is their nature to be coy, shy, w/e is needed to get what they want,

unless it is all about money,

then, you see the real woman

No need to take it like that.

They use it cause it's easier to describe who they are talking about if they don't know you, not meant offensively. Calling you girlee would be offensive I think.

As for Thai nicknames, I don't care really. Usually it's just Kris if they know me, falang if they don't. No big deal.

But Chris, outside the marriage, in a shop, you're getting poor service, the item you bought this morning has broken, they're stone walling you.

Do you consider showing a bit of rage in the hope they'll think crazy Farang and give you your money back just to get you out of the shop? I've done it, it worked.

• Like 2