Arrested Tourist Police Volunteer Halpin still awaiting court date for ya ice

webfact

innocent until proven otherwise...

as far as the articles reveal, he's captured with drugs and admitted possession... is that proven otherwise or not ?

The amount, clearly stated , was way beyond the point to be accepted as "personal use" and thus he's considered as dealer.

The law was and is clear about that. He had about 40 times more in his possession then to be considered non dealer.

I think its proven otherwise, behind any doubt...

sum nam naa

i don't understand why there is so little sympathy from other expats when someone is in trouble.

I don't know this guy, and I don't know if he is guilty or not. However, he is innocent until proven otherwise.

If one of my friends was in a jail cell I'm pretty sure I would not rest until I'd managed to secure bail, and I'd expect my friends to do the same for me.

It's somewhat shocking that none of his fair weather friends are there to support him.

I agree with you on this point, he is innocent until proven guilty. However, i do not have any sympathy for dealers. He was caught with a lot of drugs on him, way above the legal definition for personal use plus some scales and other items. So, although he is innocent at this point things do not look good for him i suspect.

Seems like he has no decent friends or family, pretty sad scenario. I don't know this guy but the prospect of spending many years in a Thai prison would scare the crap out of me, and I would want support from friends and family even if they thought my antics were wrong.

Still, if he is found guilty then he needs to be locked up.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<deleted> 375 milligrams of ice and someones a dealer? aprox 0.3 of a gram.. Erm Hello!? this is probably smaller than an average ice addict would prob consume in an afternoon watching a football game. You could probably scrape 0.3 of a gram out of a couple of discarded (empty used) bags of ya ice found on the street. Thats crazy.
Obviously this guy had 18 grams, which of course a high amount for a user unless he was just well off for cash and just liked to buy in bulk to make it easier for himself?

A betting man would say hes probably a dealer, BUT what if he was genuinely just addicted to using it himself.. its a harsh price to pay for "his poison" Alcohol is a bad drug, I enjoy a few Gin and Tonics every night but im not risking life in Jail to enjoy it.

You've got to feel sorry for these people who end up in this mess for doing something they enjoy doing..

It is time that Thailand woke up and changed the laws. Now in Mexico you are allowed to posses small amounts of marijuana, and two or 300 milligrams of coke or heroin without police interference.

Ya Ya I know he had a few grams. Who can say that an ounce of heroin is not for personal use or an ounce of ice for a user doing a gram or more a day??? etc...

All you’re saying is that you’d like to be able to have such an amount in your possession, right?

How could Thailand wake up, when countries like Holland and Switzerland gave up with their free heroin for the addicts policy?

They’d tried all, gave them free heroin, they put it in their mouths, just to trade it with cocaine to get the kick.

Who can say…blab la bla..there are laws and people should follow them. If they don’t they end up in prison, there’s no other way.

And so worse the penalty is, so less people are doing it.

Edited by sirchai

bet he thought he would not get caught because he was tourist police,and knew the way to avoid this problem

If so, He was a fool then because he was probably only "informed on" because they wanted to take down a tourist cop? or they owed him money and didnt want to pay it back? You seriously dont think that the police solved this one by old fashioned investigating off their own back do you? I bet 90% of their "Results" come from Grasses/Snitchers/Rats/Informants

:)

• Like 1

I do know something of this guy but my point is that there are hundreds of Thai 'cops' doing the most heinous things, drugs, scamming foreigners of their assets, murder, refusal to prosecute or take statements and so on and so forth. For sure he knows a lot, about the South African guy accused of passing off forged bills and some scumbag Thai lawyer and a Chalong policeman, now departed, who scammed him for getting on for a million baht. He knows a lot more about a lot more I know too and the police are none too keen to let hi out to tell his story.

However my real point here is that it about time some of these Thai 'policemen' are made examples of. Why is it they always get away with terrible crimes against society. I suppose the answer is Thainess in which case you can keep it.

• Like 2

1. i don't understand why there is so little sympathy from other expats when someone is in trouble.

2. If one of my friends was in a jail cell I'm pretty sure I would not rest until I'd managed to secure bail, and I'd expect my friends to do the same for me.

1. simple -> a) i don't know the guy B) i don't like cops. alls cops, including Tourist Police Volunteer.

2. yeah yeah sure sure... many self-proclaimed men-of-honor here on TV...

• Like 2

i don't understand why there is so little sympathy from other expats when someone is in trouble.

I don't know this guy, and I don't know if he is guilty or not. However, he is innocent until proven otherwise.

If one of my friends was in a jail cell I'm pretty sure I would not rest until I'd managed to secure bail, and I'd expect my friends to do the same for me.

It's somewhat shocking that none of his fair weather friends are there to support him.

"i don't understand why there is so little sympathy from other expats when someone is in trouble."

Simply because he's an expat? So if an expat is a pedophile or arsonist or drunken buffoon or in hiding from police in his home country or whatever, we should all rally 'round him solely because he's an expat? I know he hasn't been convicted but he's admitted possession and there isn't much about him that inspires sympathy, certainly not just because he's a foreigner.

"It's somewhat shocking that none of his fair weather friends are there to support him."

Not sure how we know who is or is not supporting him. They said bail would be hundreds of thousands of baht. He'd have to have some pretty wealthy friends, many of whom may not want to parade around a police station with inexplicable wads of cash.

And, not to sound too much like a Boy Scout, but if he had any real friends who knew what he was up to before he got caught, they should have knocked some sense into him then. And if he's addicted, and you know anything about people with addictions, they tend to lose a lot of friends over time because they are driven by something more compelling than friendship and have probably tried to use their few remaining friends too many times. To have fair weather friends, you need to have some fair weather before the storm hits and drug users, however sad it may be, don't radiate much in the way of sunshine.

There are an increasing number of expats who live rough, sleep on the beach, dumpster dive for food. Not knowing how they reached that point, I might still be more inclined to feel sympathy for them before this guy, but there are plenty of other people around whose dire straits deserve charity far more in my opinion, and it's nothing to do with whether or not they're foreigners. Even the lost souls who are apparently penniless seem often to to be abandoned by their families and embassies, and I haven't noticed many bleeding hearts here at Thai Visa drumming up funds for any of them either.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Someone said "Why would somebody with a successful business sell hard drugs? Does that make any sense?"

Meth (Ya BA) is so additive people at some point will do anything to get it. It affects the brain so much that people using it will start to do things they normally would not do. It destroys life in a very short time. It is a poison that destroys more than the few hours of pleasure users say they get. They will try other drugs or combinations to get the high when they get use to it. Some "fatality". Some of the biggest names in the world have been brought down by it. Look how many movies stars just as an example.

Some users get help but only after they ask for it. But it is usually to late by that time and they never get cured. Start on meth and it's usually a road of no return.

Teh Thai law is wrong.

"Pol Capt Jamrun Plaiduang said, “We are prosecuting him as a drug dealer. We forwarded the case to the court long ago.

“No matter how much he denies it, nothing is going to work because we caught him with drugs. He can’t really escape from our hands.”

If he did not sell or not intended to sell, he`s not a dealer. The Thai hotentot laws are just hotentot laws. Banana kingdom.

If he was dealing drugs put him behind bars, but if he did not deal drugs put him behind bars for a shorter term. We has to be just here ????

Nothing says you can't be both a "dealer" and a user at the same time. The profits from dealing allow you to buy your habit. But the habit grows faster than what you can sell. Down hill no matter what they say.

most people do not support dope heads or users. they can't be trusted .

When it's an African, the vitriol and disdain runs (and is allowed to run) rampant. When it's a guy who looks like this, it's excuses and sympathy.

Did you read this and other threads about him? Sure there are excuses, but that seems not to be the dominant feeling.

• Like 1

Gary has spent the better part of 20 years in ThaIand, married twice, speaks Thai like a native, ran or runs a successful dive business and was considered pretty much a corner stone of the local ex-pat community in Chalong.

Interesting that the usual "I know him!!! I know him!!" yappy dogs in cases like this clamouring for their few seconds of 'importance' both mention his language skills and knowledge of Thailand and good business. Surely this makes him even more of a dumbass for even thinking of going down this route.

Most I know with that level of understanding have made life easy for themselves here legally and not winding up with their mugshots all over the press. I'd choose your "heroes" with more care in future....I wonder if you'd be as vocal in defence were he flogging his crap to your kids?

• Like 2

Why feel sorry for him, he is only denying dealing not denied having it, he also had the digital scale which is a must for a dealer, I am a Kiwi and I hope he rots in jail, he is part of the earth scum who help kill young people by selling to anyone for a few $.

<removed> him.

• Like 2

When it's an African, the vitriol and disdain runs (and is allowed to run) rampant. When it's a guy who looks like this, it's excuses and sympathy.

Are you reading the same thread, or have you read all of it?? Apologist in the wings.......

I am afraid absolutely zero sympathy from me. He was in the tourist police volunteers, I assume had he stumbled across another expat with ya ice when 'on'duty' with the BIB he wouldn't have sat down and shared a crack pipe with them.

Apart from that I still can't get my head round why anyone wants to become a 'hobby bobby'. If they want a uniform with badges why not join the boy scouts?

Please no tourist police volunteer bashing here. Some TVF members are only helping them out all over the country, including myself.

This is not a way how to make money here. Nor anywhere else.

Sad that there're drug dealing foreigners in this country, with its enormous drug problem(s) already. Time's up.

Why no TPV bashing? You guys put yourself up on the pedestal (you weren't press ganged into 'service') so when one falls from the said pedestal expect ridicule.

I have NO sympathy for him, dealer or not. He has admitted possession, so he is guilty. It does not matter if it was for his own use. By buying the drugs, he is supporting the world's worst criminals, the drug dealers.

I find it alarming that when an expatriate is caught for serious crime in Thailand, there are so many people on this forum showing their sympathy. There are obviously many birds of a feather in Thailand...

• Like 1

Gary has spent the better part of 20 years in ThaIand, married twice, speaks Thai like a native, ran or runs a successful dive business and was considered pretty much a corner stone of the local ex-pat community in Chalong. As previously reported his second marriage had fallen apart and he appears to have gone downhill. I don't live in Phuket or even near by, but I would think he has visitors as well as friends who are trying to assist in this matter. Everyone has bad times when all goes wrong, but its not like Gary is a really serious criminal as portrayed by the local BIB or several unknowledgeable posters here.

If you haven't walked in the man's shoes, don't be so quick to judge him.

If he was "pushing " drugs to any member of my family. I would certainly consider him a really serious criminal. Its the suffering all round that these drug dealing bastards are causing whilst having a great life on their proceeds with no thought whatsoever of their trail of human destruction.

Gary has spent the better part of 20 years in ThaIand, married twice, speaks Thai like a native, ran or runs a successful dive business and was considered pretty much a corner stone of the local ex-pat community in Chalong. As previously reported his second marriage had fallen apart and he appears to have gone downhill. I don't live in Phuket or even near by, but I would think he has visitors as well as friends who are trying to assist in this matter. Everyone has bad times when all goes wrong, but its not like Gary is a really serious criminal as portrayed by the local BIB or several unknowledgeable posters here.

If you haven't walked in the man's shoes, don't be so quick to judge him.

So what is in your expert opinion the definition of a serious criminal?

Shouldn't selling an illegal substance like he was selling, a major problem for the country, be considered a serious crime?

He was three grams over the amount that distinguishes a dealer from a user. I hardly think Gary is a serious dealer in this amount, but then who knows what he's doing. Certainly not I. You of course will stand onhis pocession of a scale and other drug paraphinilla as proof that justifies the most severe punishment and harshest criticism of a person you don't know or the actual circumstances. All depends on whos ox is being gored, they say. Nightly Thai news reveals monstrous crimes with drug dealers, Gary is not in that class whatsoever. Take a deep breath and relax mate.

I also am taking a deep breath and then relaxing securely in the knowledge that friend Garry will get what he deserves, Whether it is being an absolute weak idiot for taking these drugs or dealing...........Bang the fool up ! coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I know Gary and honestly it was a big shock to me upon hearing about arrest. He was associated with Law Enforcement back in NZ before coming to Thailand. I don't believe he is drug dealer but let the Thai courts make judgement on that. He speaks almost perfect Thai and was very useful to me and few friends when we needed certain help either from Provincial or Tourist Police. Never asked for any money for services rendered either. I think it is unfair to throw jabs at other Tourist Police Volunteers because of this case....you wouldn't believe how many expats from Phuket are interested to become TP volunteers but posting crap on TV belittling the organization in few other related topics. Innocent until proven guilty, I am sure you would be screaming your lungs out if in same predicament.

Caught fully equipped with the drugs and the gear needed, how in the hell can he not be guilty, do not talk such crap.

He played the game and lost, get used to it.

• Like 1

Apart from that I still can't get my head round why anyone wants to become a 'hobby bobby'. If they want a uniform with badges why not join the boy scouts?

Volunteering is one way of giving back to the community, regardless of where one lives. Some choose to volunteer and some choose to sit at him, bottle in hand and critique the blurred world that sails past them.
  • Like 1

It's odd how everybody wants to scream about how much police corruption there is in Thailand, but the moment a foreigner is arrested over drugs nobody doubts that the police version is accurate and waterproof!

i don't know this guy at all, but it all smells a bit fishy.. why would someone who understands the penalties for drug dealing become involved and allow himself to be caught red-handed, I just feel there must be more to the story than meets the eye.

A friend is a friend, if one of your friends got accused of drug dealing you would not abandon him! There is a big difference between arrest and conviction, let's just hope that the truth, whatever that may be, will prevail.

Your answer my friend, is greed and a quick easy buck ! rolleyes.gif

I know Gary and honestly it was a big shock to me upon hearing about arrest. He was associated with Law Enforcement back in NZ before coming to Thailand. I don't believe he is drug dealer but let the Thai courts make judgement on that. He speaks almost perfect Thai and was very useful to me and few friends when we needed certain help either from Provincial or Tourist Police. Never asked for any money for services rendered either. I think it is unfair to throw jabs at other Tourist Police Volunteers because of this case....you wouldn't believe how many expats from Phuket are interested to become TP volunteers but posting crap on TV belittling the organization in few other related topics. Innocent until proven guilty, I am sure you would be screaming your lungs out if in same predicament.

Caught fully equipped with the drugs and the gear needed, how in the hell can he not be guilty, do not talk such crap.

I wasn't there. I don't have access to the police report or evidence. I am not an expert on Thai criminal law nor do I speak Thai. I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in Thailand. I am not an armchair expert. I am an outsider reading a news story.

And you Sir?

Gary has spent the better part of 20 years in ThaIand, married twice, speaks Thai like a native, ran or runs a successful dive business and was considered pretty much a corner stone of the local ex-pat community in Chalong.

Interesting that the usual "I know him!!! I know him!!" yappy dogs in cases like this clamouring for their few seconds of 'importance' both mention his language skills and knowledge of Thailand and good business. Surely this makes him even more of a dumbass for even thinking of going down this route.

Most I know with that level of understanding have made life easy for themselves here legally and not winding up with their mugshots all over the press. I'd choose your "heroes" with more care in future....I wonder if you'd be as vocal in defence were he flogging his crap to your kids?

Most likely not.

But I would still be likely to comment that he 'used to be a great bloke'....and what happened to change that over last few years.

And everyone I know that knew him and family for that matter even...have totally agreed he is a dumbass...even that he deserves to be in jail for X?? time......so where does that leave your post now ?

I wasn't there. I don't have access to the police report or evidence. I am not an expert on Thai criminal law nor do I speak Thai. I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in Thailand. I am not an armchair expert. I am an outsider reading a news story.

And you Sir?

Correct, i also am not a criminal lawyer. However having worked with a Brisbane organisation "Drug Arm" dealing with street kids, drug addicts and pushers, i have several years experience of seeing the trail of horrendous damage that these dealing grubs leave behind, not only to families in desperation, but to the community in general. Just a couple of months working in this area would open your eyes, you appear very naive regarding any aspect of drug taking/dealing. Just read the report again, also Garry's admittance and you will then get some idea of what you are talking about. wai2.gif