Songkran total death toll now stands at 277

webfact

Songkran total death toll now stands at 277

4-17-2014-12-16-32-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Total death toll from road accidents in the past six days of the seven dangerous days during the Songkran festival now stands at 277 dead and 2,926 injured.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said 29 people died and 283 were injured on Wednesday, the sixth day of the seven dangerous days.

It said a total of 273 cases of accidents were reported in a single day on Wednesday.

Total toll now stands at 277 deaths and 2,926 injuries.

In all, from April 11-16, a total of 2,754 accidents were reported, 173 cases higher than the same period last year.

Chiang Mai remained on top of the number of accumulated accident cases of 107, while Nakhon Ratchasima recorded the highest accumulated deaths of 13.

Drunk driving and speeding are two major causes of accidents.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/songkran-total-death-toll-now-stands-277/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-17

Songkran death toll hits 277 during 6-day period
By Digital Content

13977107418620.jpg

BANGKOK, April 17 -- Road accidents killed 277 people nationwide over the first six of the seven days of the Songkran holiday, according to the Road Safety Centre of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

Visarn Techateerawat, caretaker deputy minister of interior, said that statistics compiled by the Road Safety Centre showed that 2,754 road accidents during the first six days of the seven-day campaign to reduce road accidents nationwide, ending today.

The number of road accidents over the first six days this year was 173 more than the first six days of the previous year, 277 deaths was nine less fatalities than last year and 2,926 injuries represented an increase of 143 over last year, he said.

Yesterday alone, 29 deaths and 283 injuries in 273 road accidents were reported.

Chiang Mai was tops in the number of accidents recorded at 107 while the death toll was highest in Nakhon Ratchasima at 13. Chiang Mai has also has the highest number of injuries at 118.

Most accidents resulted from drunk driving, followed by speeding.

Motorcycles are the vehicle type with the highest number of accidents, followed by pickup trucks. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-04-17

This is the case which can't be understood by myself at all. If comes a big celebration why have to die a small village every times.

Edited by Loles

What is the normal 'weekly' average death and injury statistics? Do we have a case of lies, damn lies, and statistics. Is the Songkran weekend really any different than any other week???

You have a very good point there sir, i was looking to make the same comment.. Nice 1

A. 277 deaths / 6 days = ~46 per day

QUOTE: " Thailand now ranks third in the list of countries having highest road traffic deaths worldwide with 38.1 road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year in 2010. "

Approximate Population of 68,000,000

38.1 per 100,000 x 680 (number of 100,000S) = 25,908 per year

B. 25,908 deaths / 365 = ~71 per day

B > 1.5A

So the 7 deadly days are actually the safest around!

I was thinking the exact same thought, thanks for doing the math. So if a Songkran day is

safer than a regular day, than what is the point of hyping up all this road safety during

the 5 deadly days? Maybe an excuse for the police to set up road blocks everywhere

and collect more money under the guise of promoting safety during the holidays....

Maybe the police are more clever than I give them credit for...

• Like 2

QUOTE: " Thailand now ranks third in the list of countries having highest road traffic deaths worldwide with 38.1 road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year in 2010. "

B > 1.5A

I would go with those numbers.............so Songkran is nothing much more dangerous than the rest of the year..........hmmmmmmmfacepalm.gif

In some countries police car are not painted just ordinary car to enforce road users , hope Thailand will these cars one day.

Sadly wont make any difference. I took a minibus recently from Hua Hin to BKK and on a three lane highway without any thought or fear the driver overtook a marked highway patrol police car on the inside doing 120 KPH.

on monday on our way to Trang we saw a double decker bus at the bottom of a 5' embankment on a straight section of road only a couple of klm past the police check point, It was on its side & totally crumpled. I am absolutely buggered if I could work out how the driver managed to do it especially as he had just gone through a police stopping area. Then again after what I saw of thai drivers on the trip I can understand the deaths, there is no patience at all, they all simply try to force their way through/around the traffic even overtaking off the road on the outside of the lane/road if they cant go around the cars due to oncoming traffic, it was an absolute joke. What this country needs is a police force that actually drives on the roads and pulls these idiots over, they also need to make sure that the road rules are known and followed but that is probably just too much to expect.

I agree with what you say but believe me it is very hard, or better IMO impossible to change Thai driving habbits, it is in de genes.

• Like 1

In some countries police car are not painted just ordinary car to enforce road users , hope Thailand will these cars one day.

I do not believe it affects in any way how the police enforce the law in Thailand. They could be riding pink elephants and the results would be the same.

• Like 1

What this country needs is a police force that actually drives on the roads and pulls these idiots over.

You hit the nail on the head there. I've yet to ever see a highway patrol pulling people over. Every now and then there's a roadblock and that's it, but there's no enforcement out among the moving traffic.

Two weeks ago a car transporter (ironically carrying a mashed up Mercedes that had been involved in a collision) was swerving around behind me, inches from my rear bumper and when he eventually managed to find a space between me and the thousand other cars that were log jammed on the A4 back into Bangkok, he pulled up alongside me then swerved straight into my lane. It was clearly a deliberate attempt to either hit me or force me off the road. I had to slam the brakes on and its a miracle that the cars behind me didn't pile straight into me. I guess the people behind him had eased off seeing what a jerk he was being. I then noted that he did the same thing to the next car he came up behind.

People like him will never be educated, and until the Thai Traffic Police actually start enforcing the law with highway patrols, they never will.

B > 1.5A

I would go with those numbers.............so Songkran is nothing much more dangerous than the rest of the year..........hmmmmmmmfacepalm.gif

To get the correct number for Songkran you would have to wait another 30 days to add those that die in hospital from their injuries. That should put the "Seven Dangerous Days" into perspective. Of course these figures will not be published. Last year Phuket boasted "zero" deaths, although at least one person died in hospital, albeit "after the deadline" (which is not the 30 day period!).

related:

Four die and 24 injured in bus crash

eeccajfk7h5jf5f8dfh6a-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Four passengers were killed and 24 others injured, four seriously, when a double-deck bus from Chiang Mai veered off mountain road, falling down and overturned.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/719532-four-die-and-24-injured-in-chiang-mai-mae-hong-son-bus-crash/

Just read the article which states this wasn't a double decker bus.

Anyway, can anyone tell me why there are no double decker city buses in Bangkok? It would make much more sense to employ double decker buses in Bangkok than on such roads.

Edited by Tomtomtom69