Can I Take My Car To Thailand

I have noticed that used car prices in thailand seem to be more expensive than the used car prices in England, or maybe this is just internet prices, for example you can buy 6-8 year old BMW for under £3,000 here in London(approx 200,000 Baht). I would appreciate it if anyone can give me any advice on exporting my car to thailand or where to find cheaper used cars in thailand at realistic prices. Thanks.

I have noticed that used car prices in thailand seem to be more expensive than the used car prices in England, or maybe this is just internet prices, for example you can buy 6-8 year old BMW for under £3,000 here in London(approx 200,000 Baht). I would appreciate it if anyone can give me any advice on exporting my car to thailand or where to find cheaper used cars in thailand at realistic prices. Thanks.

Search the forum and you will see many tales of woe from people who have attempted to import a car...don't even think about it... :o

Used cars hold their price much better here than in the UK.

Don't even dream about bringing a car, too much hassle and cost (if you ever see your vehicle again that is).

If you buy used here you will lose less value when you sell than you would in the UK, just seems expensive to start with.

I repeat, don't even dream about bringing a car to Thailand.

Don't even dream about bringing a car, too much hassle and cost (if you ever see your vehicle again that is).

If you buy used here you will lose less value when you sell than you would in the UK, just seems expensive to start with.

Do you know how much?

Do you know how much?

Unless it's a "classic" - which will have an equaly extortionate rate - you will pay 220% of the new value - which will be determined by Thai customs. It will not be worth it at all.

If you do buy a 2nd hand car here you can console yourself with the fact that it is very cheap to maintain a car here. FYI you are better steering away from the European makes as part will cost a fortune!

Do you know how much?

Unless it's a "classic" - which will have an equaly extortionate rate - you will pay 220% of the new value - which will be determined by Thai customs. It will not be worth it at all.

If you do buy a 2nd hand car here you can console yourself with the fact that it is very cheap to maintain a car here. FYI you are better steering away from the European makes as part will cost a fortune!

Thanks Dan Sai kid, that has cleared things up a little more

LOL!

Everytime somebody posts this question is always the same few guys who wave the red flag.

Razzell, Crossy and moi.

Its a bad idea, sell ur car in uk and get a used one here, you can sell it for just a little less than you pay for it.

I know a guy who owned a suzuki vitara for 4 years and sold it for 125,000 baht less than he paid for it when it was 1 year old!!!!

Yeah, this question gets posted about every three days. Seems the search function at Thai Visa is completely inoperative. Maybe the mods could pin something in the motor forum along the lines of:

VEHICLE IMPORTS TO THAILAND PROHIBITED

Read this post before asking or DO A SEARCH

I wish I could make it blink, bet the mods wish they could too.

Do you notice how the conversation is always the same:

Poster: I love my xxxx(Citroen 2CV or some such crap on rubber) and have seen the high prices of vehicles in Bangkok. I would like to know if I can import my xxxxx so to continue enjoying the high speed handling of xxxxxx while standing in bangkok traffic for hours on end. Can anyone tell me how to this?

ThaiVisa(for the 1000th time): Dont do it, cant really be done and is prohibitively expense. Just give it up and let aunt Gertrude hang on to it while your here.

Poster: Really? You mean there is a reason for the outrageous price they charge for a decent car in Thailand and I am not the only one to realize that I could ship a car in and open a dealership for less than the current retail price of Porche Boxster in Bangkok. There has to be a way and I really love my MGTD, its a gift from my favorite Aunt blah blah and I would pay ANYTHING to keep it near me.

ThaiVisa: Well okay, about one year of paperwork, permits and tea money, then 220% to 280% on the retail value of a similar new model in taxes, and even then if someone in customs thinks your xxxxxx is even slightly worth having they will confiscate it (after you have paid the duties of course) for some unfathomable reason such as the stamp on page 154 of your import documents was the wrong color which can be fixed by bribing the entire population of Chon Buri for an extended period of time. As you work through that program someday you might notice a bright cherry red 64 Bug eyed Sprite JUST LIKE YOURS tooling around Bangkok with some kid who looks 14 driving it. For reference, please use the search function for TukTukMikes trail of tears as his precious car was torn from his grasp to the insane glee of one of the most corrupt customs in the world.

Poster: Wow, thats crazy! I cant pay ANYTHING, I meant anything within reason like 4000 baht or something. What about importing it to Malaysia......................