4K TV - worth it yet?

chris2004

Now is a great time to buy a 4K TV if you're a power user on your computer, as they make excellent large-screen monitors. You literally get four times the screen space, a simple & great alternative to a multi-monitor set up.

I wish I was back in the United States because a great 39 inch 4K TV can be had for $340: http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SE39UY04-39-Inch-Ultra-Model/dp/B00DOPGO2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410557738&sr=8-1&keywords=seiki+39

Getting it shipped here through a mail forwarder costs another $600 or so, which incredibly/unfortunately is still cheaper than the options we have in Thailand.

I gave it some serious thought, but I'm just not willing to pay that much to UPS.

Reviews on using this TV as a monitor are very positive, citing excellent image quality/resolution, and good responsiveness even at 30 Hz (the exception is gaming, where 30 Hz is not sufficient due to the lack of motion blur that movies have):

Review 1:

Review 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo8WvBku-3Q

--------------

if anyone's thinking of hooking one of these up to your computer, make sure you have either an HDMI or Displayport connection. Also, check your video card to ensure that you can get 4K resolution. In my case it's possible after updating to the latest drivers.

As long as you meet those two criteria, using one of these bad boys as a computer monitor is practically plug-and-play.

Do any current 4k tv have any automatic upscaling. I saw a samsung tv which the sales guy said has upscaling but I wasn't sure. Also I have seen recently that seiki is selling a hdmi cable with a upscaling chip for $50 on amazon that supposedly up scales. Dies anyone have one of these?

Just an afterthought all the current 4k tv's.are hdmi 1.4 and the new spec's for hdmi 2 have just been approved. Hdmi 2 will require a hardware chip change so the current batch if 4k tv's won't be able to support hdmi 2 with perhaps the exception of the samsung which has the future proof external box. ( and you would need to upgrade this at a cost )

What this actually means is when the device manufacturers begin making say blue Ray DVD players with hdmi 2 unless your current 4k tv is hdmi 2 compatible you wont be able to get the 4k resolution even though you have a 4k tv. From what I know hdmi 2 allows for increased bandwidth and frame rates to be transferred between the device and your monitor.

Yes if my computer had a HDMI 2.0 port, I'd definitely be waiting for an HDMI 2.0 TV. For me it is a fairly small difference, since I do not play video games on my computer. Movies are even fine at 30 FPS.

I've been looking into alternatives to UPS's crazy $600 quote to ship the TV posted above into Thailand. The best I've found is this site: http://eforward.com/ They will ship it for $200. Apparently they're able to save money via consolidation with other packages going to Thailand via DHL international. They also have an ocean freight option which I'm emailing them about right now.

Do any current 4k tv have any automatic upscaling. I saw a samsung tv which the sales guy said has upscaling but I wasn't sure. Also I have seen recently that seiki is selling a hdmi cable with a upscaling chip for $50 on amazon that supposedly up scales. Dies anyone have one of these?

The nature of pixel based digital displays means that they *must* have upscalers, otherwise a low res signal simply wouldn't be able to fill the display - i.e. a 1080P signal into a 4K set that didn't have an upscaler, would leave you with a picture only ~50% the height/width of the physical screen, with a big black area around it.

Upscalers are not created equal though - some will do a simple pixel doubling effect, others are very sophisticated with added picture sharpening to enhance the picture as it gets bigger. At $50 I wouldn't expect too much - no way it's going to have the processing power to do picture enhancement at that price.

Some newer AVR's also have 4K upscalers.

Just an afterthought all the current 4k tv's.are hdmi 1.4 and the new spec's for hdmi 2 have just been approved. Hdmi 2 will require a hardware chip change so the current batch if 4k tv's won't be able to support hdmi 2 with perhaps the exception of the samsung which has the future proof external box. ( and you would need to upgrade this at a cost )

What this actually means is when the device manufacturers begin making say blue Ray DVD players with hdmi 2 unless your current 4k tv is hdmi 2 compatible you wont be able to get the 4k resolution even though you have a 4k tv. From what I know hdmi 2 allows for increased bandwidth and frame rates to be transferred between the device and your monitor.

Your info seems like it's from 2013 - HDMI2.0 is pretty much standard in 2014 4K models from the big names - even LG updated their 84" HDMI 1.4a set to 2.0.

The big thing you need to be on the lookout for if you're concerned about future-proofing is HDCP 2.2 support. Netflix started encoding their 4K streams with HDCP 2.2, and it quickly became the standard.

As for bluray, there's no need for it to support HDMI 2.0 - it maxxes out at 1080P res.

Movies are even fine at 30 FPS.

Many movies are encoded at 24fps, PAL region content is 25fps, and NTSC is 30fps. You might want to confirm how that set plays back 24/25fps content before buying if you want to use it to watch movies.

Thanks for the feedback. I was taking to a tv sales guy at central Chidlom yesterday and he said that the only tv there which supports hdmi 2 was the Samsung. I was looking at the 84 inch lg they have the new model there for around 400k and the old model there for 300k I know the old model is only hdmi1.4 and I didnt ask about the new model.

I agree that any top spec tv in production now should be hdmi 2 but if the store has old stock on the floor it's worth asking the question before buying.

Thanks for the feedback. I was taking to a tv sales guy at central Chidlom yesterday and he said that the only tv there which supports hdmi 2 was the Samsung. I was looking at the 84 inch lg they have the new model there for around 400k and the old model there for 300k I know the old model is only hdmi1.4 and I didnt ask about the new model.

I agree that any top spec tv in production now should be hdmi 2 but if the store has old stock on the floor it's worth asking the question before buying.

Sounds like the rep was trying to move old stock - all of the 2014 4K TV's from Samsung, Sony and LG support HDMI 2.0

• 3 weeks later...

I saw 4K 49" LG 2014 model for 47k baht, forgot what model was it (obviously not the top model). However, I'll wait until 4k content (HEVC) available to us all (mkv).

Do you remember where you saw it? I was in the big C a couple days ago and saw a 55 inch 4k TV for 85,0000. It's the cheapest one I've seen so far in Thailand anyways.

------------

General question to anyone who's been here a while – how long does it take for Thai electronics prices to catch up with US prices?

Right now there are is a 40 inch Samsung with HDMI 2.0 available for about the equivalent of 32,000.

I saw 4K 49" LG 2014 model for 47k baht, forgot what model was it (obviously not the top model). However, I'll wait until 4k content (HEVC) available to us all (mkv).

Do you remember where you saw it? I was in the big C a couple days ago and saw a 55 inch 4k TV for 85,0000. It's the cheapest one I've seen so far in Thailand anyways.

------------

General question to anyone who's been here a while – how long does it take for Thai electronics prices to catch up with US prices?

Right now there are is a 40 inch Samsung with HDMI 2.0 available for about the equivalent of 32,000.

I found it cheaper at src-homelcd.com

http://www.picdee.com/images/2014/10/05/4k_LG_%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%8457706fVQ5.jpg

33,900 baht for 49UB820T model (with DVB-T)

55" model is 54,990 and 59,990 baht

Src-homelcd is nice, they can deliver to your home and pay cash on delivery.

However, I'm not sure about HDMI 2.0 on these models. I'll wait for 2015 models with proper HDMI 2.0 connections

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to wait until 2015 but saw a LG65UB980T for 82,000 baht so had to go for it. WOW the TV is amazing even without 4k, although you can download some 4k clips from Youtube. Even as a bog standard 65 inch 82k is not too bad. It could be years before we get proper 4k blu-rays or (ha ha) 4k on Truevisions so by then it will be time for an upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was in my local Big C yesterday, (Samui) and just noticed banner stickers for 4 K TV's .... oh pretty good price I thought... 25,000 baht range with a discount coupon if you have a Big C card....(knowing Lazada is listing one or two in that range, I thought prices might be dropping~ !)

I hovered around for several minutes, thinking a staff member would try and help... but no, all playing with their phones, (normal there bah.gif ) So I found the store PR guy who I know, and asked him to come help...(even that did not get the attention of the staff facepalm.gif )

Just make a long story short.... None of the TV's were 4k, I realized this when I started to write down model numbers to compare on the net... no UHD at the start of the model numbers..... It turned out, ... No Hab! 4 K, ... even though signs for them facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Be warned check model numbers start with UHD when/ if looking for a 4 K! ... at any store! wink.png

• 2 weeks later...

I was in my local Big C yesterday, (Samui) and just noticed banner stickers for 4 K TV's .... oh pretty good price I thought... 25,000 baht range with a discount coupon if you have a Big C card....(knowing Lazada is listing one or two in that range, I thought prices might be dropping~ !)

I hovered around for several minutes, thinking a staff member would try and help... but no, all playing with their phones, (normal there bah.gif ) So I found the store PR guy who I know, and asked him to come help...(even that did not get the attention of the staff facepalm.gif )

Just make a long story short.... None of the TV's were 4k, I realized this when I started to write down model numbers to compare on the net... no UHD at the start of the model numbers..... It turned out, ... No Hab! 4 K, ... even though signs for them facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Be warned check model numbers start with UHD when/ if looking for a 4 K! ... at any store! wink.png

Maybe you weren't dreaming.. earlier today I bought the 49" LG 4K from cdiscount.co.th (which is Big C) for 27K, and they had the 42" for 19.9K - both appear to be sold out now though.

Maybe you weren't dreaming.. earlier today I bought the 49" LG 4K from cdiscount.co.th (which is Big C) for 27K, and they had the 42" for 19.9K - both appear to be sold out now though.

I just realized that was a website for cdiscount.co.th, never heard of that before.... I see they have a Skyworth ...4 K TV, I've never even heard that make before! I would only choose an LG if I make the plunge!

Perhaps one or less per store! whistling.gifor to be able to use the "No hab" or "Mae Me"facepalm.gif

Power Buy on Samui at least, tells me they have new models coming in about a week.... it will be interesting to see what actually turns up...wink.png

Perhaps one or less per store! whistling.gifor to be able to use the "No hab" or "Mae Me"facepalm.gif

Power Buy on Samui at least, tells me they have new models coming in about a week.... it will be interesting to see what actually turns up...wink.png

2015 changes are more OLED models from LG (currently only available in 55"), and new quantum-dot models from LG, Samsung and possibly others.. Both are high-end technologies though, so don't expect them to be too cheap..

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw a 40" UHD (4k) TV at IT City (top floor of Pantip plaza, the biggest and only store there). Price was 30,000 which translates to $916. 2 months ago that same tv was 47,000 I believe.

Prices are coming down! I think this is the year to pick one up!

I just saw a 40" UHD (4k) TV at IT City (top floor of Pantip plaza, the biggest and only store there). Price was 30,000 which translates to $916. 2 months ago that same tv was 47,000 I believe.

Prices are even better than that :)

Here's a 49" UHD 4K for 25K Baht: http://www.cdiscount.co.th/lg-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv-49-inch-49ub820t-19041

The 40" version (40UB820T) has been selling for around 19-20K Baht in the past few weeks, but appears to be out of stock everywhere at the moment.

• 5 months later...

Well I think I found the lowest price yet. Here's a 40 inch 4K TV for a hair under 18,000: http://www.lazada.co.th/tcl-led-tv-40-40s5600-1088823.html

It's from Lazada so I believe the shipping to your door is free also.

Is TCL a decent brand? I looked them up on Google and they appear to be Chinese.

Here's a bigger brand for 21,000: http://www.lazada.co.th/lg-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv-42-42ub820t-1014686.html

Well I think I found the lowest price yet. Here's a 40 inch 4K TV for a hair under 18,000: http://www.lazada.co.th/tcl-led-tv-40-40s5600-1088823.html

It's from Lazada so I believe the shipping to your door is free also.

Is TCL a decent brand? I looked them up on Google and they appear to be Chinese.

Here's a bigger brand for 21,000: http://www.lazada.co.th/lg-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv-42-42ub820t-1014686.html

You can buy a run-out 2014 model LG 40" 4K for even less than that smile.png

16,990 Baht: http://www.thedigitaldc.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=cat_show_pro_detail&cid=41905&pid=306499

the 42" 2014 model can be had cheaper than Lazada too, 18.500 Baht: http://pj-hiend-digital.lnwshop.com/product/298/lg-ultra-hd-led-smart-digital-tv-42%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%A7-42ub820t-%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%86-%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%A2-0972108092

January is always the best time, when all the manufactured overstock has to be cleared out.

Good to know, I think I know what I'll be making my next purchase then! I've been toughing out 2015 for prices to fall, but January 2016 I replace my 24 inch monitor with a nice new 4k in the 40 - 48" size range :-)

Archived