A Thai just asked to borrow money from me.

Som wat

Decade ago i lent money to a woman in Patong Beach. 5k. 3 months later after her being in Koh Samui, she came back to Patong Beach. I stayed in touch with her occasionally that time before. When back in Patong i reminded her about 5 k. Wait couple of days she replied. Told this to some friends and had a bet with them about her paying me back. They laughed....no way she is going to pay you back. 3 days later the girl called me and paid me back. Got the money and won the bet.

I have lent money to friends, workmates, girlfriends and even family back in Scotland, and only one person, the lead guitarist in my band ever paid me back, so it is not just a Thai thing.

Did you threaten him to break his Fender?-w00t.gif

How did you know he had a Fender? A Strat actually. and mine was a Jazz bass.

Because good guys play a Fender...............laugh.png

• Like 1

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After all, I was just thinking about your post and you know what?

Many people back in my country of origin were asking me for a lot of more money.What's your point of this post, please?

Why do foreigners in Thailand constantly ask other foreigners in Thailand if they could "lend" a few thousand baht? -wai2.gif

Well I've never been asked to give a loan of money back in the West.

What's your point of this post, please?

Just what I thought was a funny little story, pointing out that a lady from across the road wanted (needed) 2000b, until I told her she can do some work for it and never have to give it back. Then she disappeared faster than you could 'Thai apologist'. So from that I would gather that she didn't really need it at all, and was just trying her luck. They do after all class all farang as both rich and stupid. :)

I've also never been asked for a loan by foreigners here.

Sorry it gets you so worked up. :)

Great post jake and yes I think you are right, you get more respect for standing up for yourself here.

I no longer work but have done more than my fair share, starting from scratch/nothing and sacrificing part of my life to now take it easier.

Determination, guts and hard work, most are capable of that, just not an easy route.

In Jake his case, of many posts i read from him, he is lucky/wise to have the right partner. In many cases standing up for 1self can mean an infringement of certain thai cultural aspects (i.e. family).

After telling the missus about it today, she said that just after we moved here another lady approached her to get a loan of 500b from me.

The wife told her that sorry, I don't give loans, but I'm sure there are others (Indian 5/6 lenders and CBR150 lads) to get a loan from. :D

Admitted loaning money within the Thai family is very commonplace and then status in the household decides whether the loan or part of the loan is returned. From a farang point of view this is not acceptable. It is then up to the farang how/if the loan is returned. The Thai's will then "yak yak" about it. The chances of a farang loan being repaid are generally weighed against his standing in the household and how "farang crazy" he chooses to be.

Have to support the "chances are poor group"

Suggest to potential lenders to do as I used to do with a particular friend in OZ a long time ago, "no sorry can not lend $100, but you can have ten. Same guy would buy me rums all nite if he had money come in, it was all about timing, same with the Thais.

Just a little thought for the anti-Thai-bashers ( so to speak )

Most of us foreigners who cannot speak fluent Thai, come in contact with English-speaking Thais, mostly in tourist areas.

The poor Thais tend to flock to those tourist areas with the hope to get a better life.

If they don't succeed, they still need to eat, and foreigners with pink glasses are notoriously gullible.

I would really like to know how many in this forum have not been scammed one way or anothercoffee1.gif

Edited by mauGR1

If someone started a thread about a person asking to borrow money it would be about people who borrow money. If somone started a thread about an old sexpat asking me to borrow money from me. It would be about sexpat bashing and defending. If someone started a thread about a Thai asking to borrow money it would be about Thai bashing and defense. Is this not obvious?

While trying to connect an NGO attempting to provide student loans to a particular Thai univeristy, I received the following response from an administrator:

"I have personally administered college level loan and scholarship programs in Thailand, Philippines, Myanmar and Vietnam for several decades.We tend to focus on students with both academic ability and financial difficulties. Our students come with recommendations from their teachers as good students in financial need. Our program is committed to providing assistance that attempts to underwrite about 90% of the expenses of being a student.

However, in our experience, we have found that Thai students will default on their loans at a very high rate (nearly 80% of the loans we administered were never paid back and the recipients have cut all communication).........

In sharp contrast to this, we have had very high return rates for student loans in other countries (usually > 95%) and in many cases students that have graduated under the program have even donated later on or created their own loan programs to help other students. These cultures had a stronger sense of ethical behavior when it comes to promissory notes. "
But to place this into some cultural context, Thailand has only had a monetized economy for just over 100 years and most families have interacted with that monetized economy for far fewer generations. It is only in the past two of three generations that ethnic Tais have even been allowed to participate in the banking system.
  • Like 2

Just a little thought for the anti-Thai-bashers ( so to speak )

Most of us foreigners who cannot speak fluent Thai, come in contact with English-speaking Thais, mostly in tourist areas.

The poor Thais tend to flock to those tourist areas with the hope to get a better life.

If they don't succeed, they still need to eat, and foreigners with pink glasses are notoriously gullible.

I would really like to know how many in this forum have not been scammed one way or anothercoffee1.gif

I haven't.

If someone started a thread about a person asking to borrow money it would be about people who borrow money. If somone started a thread about an old sexpat asking me to borrow money from me. It would be about sexpat bashing and defending. If someone started a thread about a Thai asking to borrow money it would be about Thai bashing and defense. Is this not obvious?

Truer words have never been written. Good to read you are never derailing from a topic.

But whats funny is that i know lots of well to do Thai Indian businessmen here......they never ask for loans but are also asking me or my firends if we need loans though we do not need any. These guys love it when someone borrows money fom them as they charge high interests rates.And you will be surprised they can offer loans from as small as anything to as high as tens of millions of baht!

Mudcrab

The poor Thais tend to flock to the touristy areas to get a better life?

Scammed?

Etc etc.

Man you are seriously so out of order with your post.

Ignorant or arrogant or maybe both!

None of the above i think.

Living on an uninhabited island most likely.

A Thai, wants to borrow money? OK if you think he needs it.

Get his bank card and pin and draw the money from his wages.

The only problem is that he will be bothering you to withdraw money during the month.

That's the only way you guarantee your money back.

Wow, the white man's burden when dealing with the natives is really difficult, hmm?

Does "A Thai," mean just the bar workers and 7-Eleven clerks you know or does that extend to business owners, doctors, executives ... who might need some cash for a day or two because they left home without their ATM card?

"Get his bank card and pin and draw money from his wages." Could you possibly be more arrogant, condescending and full of your own self importance? Maybe you could keep one of his children to guarantee the loan.

If you don't want to lend the money, just say no and stop with all the childish nonsense. I guess being in Thailand and having to deal with such monumental sums as Baht 2000 is a major change from cutting out 10 cent off coupons and buying day-old bakery goods wherever you came from.

• Like 2

But whats funny is that i know lots of well to do Thai Indian businessmen here......they never ask for loans but are also asking me or my firends if we need loans though we do not need any. These guys love it when someone borrows money fom them as they charge high interests rates.And you will be surprised they can offer loans from as small as anything to as high as tens of millions of baht!

From what I've seen all over Thailand the moneylender tends to turn up at shift change to get their repayment. To their credit they seem to be incignito. Repayment typically is on a loan of 1,000 baht, 10 x 110 baht. Not Quite as bad as Wonga.

daily routine

if you give one time, you may take a table to your forehead: BANK and you will have a lot of costumer immadiately

BUT not only in TH

Edited by Loles

Why is that funny?

The reason there are nasty sayings for Indians is because of the large number of them that were money lenders.

In Thaispeak 'borrow' means 'give me'.

It is rare to get money back that you lend to a Thai , harsh but true ,

uttertosh.
Sir, my friend a Thai man living and working in the UK with a successful business I can trust same as a farang. However he has a habit where he loans out money to the other Thai's in the community. He never gets the money back. When I ask him I get "low ta chan" up to me. Just the Thai way of face, respect etc, etc. Not my cup of tea but that's the way they operate. In a previous post I mentioned I helped him with some money to help in his re-location. So far no dramas, his repayment so far is right on the nail at present I have no reason to doubt him.

Fair enough but the consequences for him wouldnt be pleasant if he messes me around. I hold the website, Facebook and Twitter account credentials.

Generally speaking I would not trust a Thai in Thailand especially where money is involved.

• Like 1

Why is that funny?

The reason there are nasty sayings for Indians is because of the large number of them that were money lenders.

Nonsense.

It's mainly to do with creed, shall we say 'personal aroma', personal hygiene, and cultural/social traits on the Indian's parts, and Thais fully believing that their way is the only correct and they are superior beings to almost all, certainly darker, more 'aroma-ish', less washed, louder/squawkier cultures and their peoples.

The Chinese run the banks, gold, money, country and everything else, but as they are paler, richer, more 'Asian', they are Gods to be worshiped, despite also being louder/squawkier.

Edited by Som wat

The OP must lead an extremely sad and boring life if all he has to do is create a thread with a few lines of Thai bashing in the hope that he will receive some supporting replies from others like himself of little education and intelligence.

My advice to the OP and the ignoramuses that agree with him; is to get a life.

What do you do all day?

Decade ago i lent money to a woman in Patong Beach. 5k. 3 months later after her being in Koh Samui, she came back to Patong Beach. I stayed in touch with her occasionally that time before. When back in Patong i reminded her about 5 k. Wait couple of days she replied. Told this to some friends and had a bet with them about her paying me back. They laughed....no way she is going to pay you back. 3 days later the girl called me and paid me back. Got the money and won the bet.

You could be one hell of a smart businessman. Buying insurance after an accident with higher reimbursement claims .

( I have no intention to smear your reputation but just want to make some reading materials for people to read. Sorry if you feel offended. Don't kick me back too hard )

' Points to ponder'.

The bet is higher than 5 k . Turning the tables around. Le losing money is now guaranteed winning . With option of bonus winning.

I.e.

1- make a bet of 2x the amount loaned out with a waiting period of 1 week for the money returned.

2- arrange for someone to return you the loan amount on the last day of the waiting period.

3- just wait for 1 week to collect your money . ( you either get 100 percent profit or 200% if the loan is returned by the loaner )

Why is that funny?

Nonsense.

It's mainly to do with creed, shall we say 'personal aroma', personal hygiene, and cultural/social traits on the Indian's parts, and Thais fully believing that their way is the only correct and they are superior beings to almost all, certainly darker, more 'aroma-ish', less washed, louder/squawkier cultures and their peoples.

The Chinese run the banks, gold, money, country and everything else, but as they are paler, richer, more 'Asian', they are Gods to be worshiped, despite also being louder/squawkier.

Well IMHO, this is utter nonsense. Thai people highly respect Indian culture - where do you think Lord Buddha was from? Phra Pee Ganet? Erawan etc?

If yo go down to Wat Kaek, you'll find all the Chinese breadheads.

Are you really trying to say Indians wash less than Thais? Unbelievable.

From your posts it's obvious you fell superior to the Thai race, now Indians - are there any more nationalities you wish to insult?

Edited by Neeranam