A Thai just asked to borrow money from me.

Som wat

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Paying debts is not exclusive to Thais, In the last 10 years i have lent money to several people none of which have repaid the debt, sadly i think the world has been depleted of honour. When people ask for a loan nowdays I just laugh , and tell them to go to the bank as the bank has more money than myself.

we got many requests like that. it goes to my GF (wife) and it is mainly her friends or her family . usually asking 1000 to 3000 . She is not easy to give money out but when she gives it always with my approval and till now we always got our money back

In Thaispeak 'borrow' means 'give me'.

It is rare to get money back that you lend to a Thai , harsh but true ,

Absolute rubbish

Unfortunately not rubbish in my experience. If you decide to lend money to a Thai you better also decide that it can be a gift too.

Edited by saroq
  • Like 1

The OP must lead an extremely sad and boring life if all he has to do is create a thread with a few lines of Thai bashing in the hope that he will receive some supporting replies from others like himself of little education and intelligence.

My advice to the OP and the ignoramuses that agree with him; is to get a life.

For someone who has such a strong opinion about the OPs right to start a thread about his humorous experience regarding lending money to a Thai person, (Thai bashing as you have deemed it to be) you have an awful lot to say on the subject. How many posts have you made now in this thread?

• Like 2

But if she needs 2000b then I'm willing to pay her 1000b a day for helping me in the garden for two days. More than a fair rate.

Should have seen her face drop.

Not really sure if she disliked the garden, or your face.Teachers don't make more a day and have to see many suspicious people.

Edited by sirchai

It is rare to get money back that you lend to a Thai , harsh but true ,

Of course. This is why there are no banks left in Thailand and there's not a single item in the country you can buy on time payments. Every other country worldwide has a credit system, but Thailand's totally collapsed three weeks after it began in 1952.

Banks require collateral before they lend money. I'm sure if the OP had required the girl to leave her kidney with him he'd have gotten his money back. You're not really so dim that you can't tell that i claudius was talking about private/personal lending as apposed to institutional lending, are you?

Edited by saroq

I lent money to a Thai in England. He has a restaurant and all his family live in the UK. The amount was £4K and I am confident of getting it back. I've known the family around 6 years and the arrangemeny has been 4 x £1k monthly interest free. Just as a precaution I hold all the credentials to their Facebook, company website and Twitter account. They have a well established business and have British citizenship.

I certainly wouldn't lend just one satang to a Thai in their own country. The way I interact with Thai's in Thailand is to treat them with respect, never do angry farang and certainly never get involved in their chaotic lives. My hobbies in Thailand are travelling, learning Thai and Issan, whoring, drinking and eating Thai food along with my love of photography. I choose what money leaves my pocket and would never get involved with a Thai lady deeper than the most superficial because there is a whole big bundle of trouble waiting for you. I make this quite clear when I meet them. I get what I want and they get what they want ie cash. Seems to work fine after intermittently living there for around 12 years.

Thai people are the most wonderful people I've ever met on a superficial level but any deeper than that is a potential nightmare awaiting you.

• Like 1

Decade ago i lent money to a woman in Patong Beach. 5k. 3 months later after her being in Koh Samui, she came back to Patong Beach. I stayed in touch with her occasionally that time before. When back in Patong i reminded her about 5 k. Wait couple of days she replied. Told this to some friends and had a bet with them about her paying me back. They laughed....no way she is going to pay you back. 3 days later the girl called me and paid me back. Got the money and won the bet.

I have lent money to friends, workmates, girlfriends and even family back in Scotland, and only one person, the lead guitarist in my band ever paid me back, so it is not just a Thai thing.

Did you threaten him to break his Fender?-w00t.gif

Decade ago i lent money to a woman in Patong Beach. 5k. 3 months later after her being in Koh Samui, she came back to Patong Beach. I stayed in touch with her occasionally that time before. When back in Patong i reminded her about 5 k. Wait couple of days she replied. Told this to some friends and had a bet with them about her paying me back. They laughed....no way she is going to pay you back. 3 days later the girl called me and paid me back. Got the money and won the bet.

I have lent money to friends, workmates, girlfriends and even family back in Scotland, and only one person, the lead guitarist in my band ever paid me back, so it is not just a Thai thing.

Did you threaten him to break his Fender?-w00t.gif

How did you know he had a Fender? A Strat actually. and mine was a Jazz bass.

• Like 1

If anybody ask to borrow money from me, i'd rather choose to give let's say 10% of the amount as a present.

I'd better lose a little money and save myself from some headache.

I would do an exception for family members and very close friends, in the case of an emergency.

Sadly, i've been disappointed a few times with Thais, luckily there were small amounts of money involved, and that was before i got rid of those cute pink glasses.

When i first came to LOS i fell into the trap,300.000 baht.

I got signed contracts,collateral and eternal thanks.

Around four years later after taking her to court guess what ,i won the case!

But, still no money.

• Like 2

funny i cant understand why people just cant say bloody NO,,,

im not so cold hearted,

if it was grandma or something like that, and they needed hospital treatment not a problem,

but just to lend family or freinds, its a no from us,,

and its not just me, my wife has told both family and friends no,,,

she says to them, jake has to go to work to get money, not to give away,,

jake

She sounds a diamond Jake, good luck to you both.

• Like 1

After all, I was just thinking about your post and you know what?

Many people back in my country of origin were asking me for a lot of more money.What's your point of this post, please?

Why do foreigners in Thailand constantly ask other foreigners in Thailand if they could "lend" a few thousand baht? -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

jvs, on 18 Apr 2014 - 20:00, said:

When i first came to LOS i fell into the trap,300.000 baht.

I got signed contracts,collateral and eternal thanks.

Around four years later after taking her to court guess what ,i won the case!

But, still no money.

You can't get blood from a stone, even if you won the case. sad.png

Another thai bashing thread but at least a few farangs have pointed out that it happens all over the world.

If you guys really understand thai society money changes hands especially between women all the time.

Sometimes they are flush sometimes not and that goes for the western world to.

I've always been paid back and for amounts way over 2000 baht however I have known the people for a long time.

it just seams to me that before some people move here they must pull there back bone out then brop there balls out,,,

just think if you were still in your own country, you wouldnt keep lending money out, you work for it so should others,,

just because your here and your wifes sister/brother comes round and wants to borrow money, dosnt mean you have to give them it,

youll get more respect by standing up for yourselfs, dont be the doormat

LEARN TO SAY NO, and not just to money,

no one takes my car,

no ones ake our motorbike,

the way i told my wife, if something happens are they going to give us money to repair,,, AGIAN NO ,, they dont have the money, so it will cost you,

i know it sounds so selfish, but keep your toys for yourselfs, if you dont it will cost you money,,

this is thailand,, the family will try it on with you,

you are seen as the rich falang,

you have the money that they want to have,,

they no i still go to work, we didnt buy a new pickup, we bought a second hand one, a second hand motorbike,

i dont try and be flash, i do most of my jobs myself, even built my own pig pens,(my dad was a builder),

what i earn is for me and my family, and i mean wife and kids,,,

dont be to soft with them

jake

Hey Thaibasher,

it just seams to me that before some people move here they must pull there back bone out then brop there balls out,,,

I don’t get it. Read it three times now. Cheers.

just think if you were still in your own country, you wouldnt keep lending money out, you work for it so should others,,

Depends on who is in need of money.

just because your here and your wifes sister/brother comes round and wants to borrow money, dosnt mean you have to give them it,

If they’re in deep shit, it makes me happy to help them if I can..

Never felt so.

Means, you never ever had some….

no one takes my car,

You’re so selfish that not even our goldfish would be allowed to swim to your house.

the way i told my wife, if something happens are they going to give us money to repair,,, AGIAN NO ,, they dont have the money, so it will cost you,

Seems that your life is so boring that you’d forgotten, or never learnt what life’s all about.

i know it sounds so selfish, but keep your toys for yourselfs, if you dont it will cost you money,,

Once they cremate me, I’m out.

And you’ll never win any sympathy of any national. Nobody gives a flying shit about your money.

they no i still go to work, we didnt buy a new pickup, we bought a second hand one, a second hand motorbike,

i dont try and be flash, i do most of my jobs myself, even built my own pig pens,(my dad was a builder),

Nobody and I mean nobody wants to read such stuff. Nobody cares if you’d have ten Lamborghinis.

Be nice to them and they’ll be nice to you, as they are to me.

Jake

Sirchai -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Great post jake and yes I think you are right, you get more respect for standing up for yourself here.

I no longer work but have done more than my fair share, starting from scratch/nothing and sacrificing part of my life to now take it easier.

Determination, guts and hard work, most are capable of that, just not an easy route.

no one takes my car,

jake

Hey Thaibasher,

I don’t get it. Read it three times now. Cheers.

Depends on who is in need of money.

If they’re in deep shit, it makes me happy to help them if I can..

Never felt so.

Means, you never ever had some….

no one takes my car,

You’re so selfish that not even our goldfish would be allowed to swim to your house.

Seems that your life is so boring that you’d forgotten, or never learnt what life’s all about.

Once they cremate me, I’m out.

And you’ll never win any sympathy of any national. Nobody gives a flying shit about your money.

Nobody and I mean nobody wants to read such stuff. Nobody cares if you’d have ten Lamborghinis.

Be nice to them and they’ll be nice to you, as they are to me.

Jake

Sirchai -wai2.gif

Sorry chum, but I have learned a lot about folk and their life of borrowing cash, it's endemic and l have the "NO-Bugger Off" T-shirt. they don't bother me or the Mrs any more cos they now understand we are not daft. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

In over ten years here Imhad never lent money to a Thai, for the reasons given already. A Freelancer I had known regularly for 2 years or so had an urgent need to change rooms and wanted to borrow 7,000'baht. I lent it to her, never really expecting it back but she had offered to "work it off". After about 3 weeks she gave me the full balance and I was pleasantly surprised.

Great post jake and yes I think you are right, you get more respect for standing up for yourself here.

I no longer work but have done more than my fair share, starting from scratch/nothing and sacrificing part of my life to now take it easier.

Determination, guts and hard work, most are capable of that, just not an easy route.

In Jake his case, of many posts i read from him, he is lucky/wise to have the right partner. In many cases standing up for 1self can mean an infringement of certain thai cultural aspects (i.e. family).