Spending the remainder of my life in Thailand.

benj005

it's also "stages" of life

At 54, I have more options now than I did at 34 with two kids and a wife

its all relative,

Thailand is not offering more than places like Costa Rica and Panama, and with better weather.

its also a lot easier to get here from Fort Lauderdale, than it is Thailand.

Although I fly 1st class, and it mitigates in large part the long flight. I cannot see myself motivated to return, no matter how warm the soap,

and she is very warm, sometimes!

I am becoming more convinced that this hemisphere is more suited to my desiires in life, and the Atlantic Ocean, for now, the better of the two.

I will see Panama shortly, according to a friend who wants me there,

this is the project they are building

Very nice project. I wish you luck. You're welcome in Thailand anytime. PM me if you're coming. Understand where you are we are both around the same age. But when I first came to Thailand there was hardly anything here and it was full of Vietnam Vets who had burned their passports. It was actually great. Still love the place but I do like to travel too, but Thailand will probably always be my home.

I wish I was there when they were there too

that would have been the time for an american as we'd are just (old) enough to have been able to keep up with them as they would be our older brothers

who better than to pav the way for guys in a foreign land than older brothers?

thanks for the welcome.

Edited by Scarpolo

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its all relative,

Thailand is not offering more than places like Costa Rica and Panama, and with better weather.

Although I fly 1st class, and it mitigates in large part the long flight. I cannot see myself motivated to return, no matter how warm the soap,

I am becoming more convinced that this hemisphere is more suited to my desiires in life, and the Atlantic Ocean, for now, the better of the two.

Very nice project. I wish you luck. You're welcome in Thailand anytime. PM me if you're coming. Understand where you are we are both around the same age. But when I first came to Thailand there was hardly anything here and it was full of Vietnam Vets who had burned their passports. It was actually great. Still love the place but I do like to travel too, but Thailand will probably always be my home.

that would have been the time for an american as we'd are just (old) enough to have been able to keep up with them as they would be our older brothers

thanks for the welcome.

Yeah it was great. They taught me the ropes and how to speak Thai. They also said the girls used to do it for free when they first got to Thailand. We used to hang out in the old Thermae in Sukhumvit and the Blue Fox in Soi Nam Duplee. It's a 7-11 now. I think they have all passed away now. One of them was poisoned by his girlfriends. They were all on smack. They used to take me to the shooting galleries in Chiang Mai (I didn't partake) and then we'd go up into the mountains between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son and smoke opium for a week. You could see the lights of Khun Sa's Mong Thai Army just across the border in Burma. Great times!

• Like 1

its all relative,

thanks for the welcome.

Yeah it was great. They taught me the ropes and how to speak Thai. They also said the girls used to do it for free when they first got to Thailand. We used to hang out in the old Thermae in Sukhumvit and the Blue Fox in Soi Nam Duplee. It's a 7-11 now. I think they have all passed away now. One of them was poisoned by his girlfriends. They were all on smack. They used to take me to the shooting galleries in Chiang Mai (I didn't partake) and then we'd go up into the mountains between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son and smoke opium for a week. You could see the lights of Khun Sa's Mong Thai Army just across the border in Burma. Great times!

the head buzz I got as I imagined myself walking into the hills of Chaing Mai, was incredible.

thanks for the welcome.

the head buzz I got as I imagined myself walking into the hills of Chaing Mai, was incredible.

We used you rent this house just outside Chiang Mai that used to be a heroin factory and the manager had been skimming off the top. Well the Mafia Drug Lord had killed him and all his family and chopped them up into bits and thrown them all over the mountain. Now that place was full of ghosts, it was incredible. They used to wake you up day or night. Poke you. Whisper in your ear. The Chinese guy living next door wouldn't even enter the house. It was rumored that a load of gold was buried under the house. After we couldn't take it anymore the Chinese guy bought the house and demolished it. Don't know if he found the gold.

I'd disagree with that. Google the figures for yourself. 0.98 is the figure for male to females aged from 15-64. Just think about what you are saying. If two thirds of the population were female that would mean there would be 2 women for every man, which is plainly ridiculous.

Sometimes Google isn't always right and I don't want to argue with you but try to consider these factors as I understand them from my own experience. Whenever a census is done in Thailand it's highly inaccurate because a huge %age of people are not living at their registered address. Dead people vote in Thailand. There are a lot of "missing" people. I have never heard a Thai man complain that he couldn't get a girl, you even see garbage/recycling guys with wives. However it's very common for women to complain that they can't get a man. Most Thai men have 2-3 wives. So in all practicalities there are at least 2 girls for every guy in Thailand. Even more so if you are fairly handsome, polite and have a bit of cash behind you. Once you get over the barrier of having a second wife the second wife complains to the first wife that you have a third wife ad infinitium and they sort their differences out together. As Fifty Two said "There is a girl forest out there" do with it as you please.

Well, you obviously do want to argue with me. I used google to find the figures, so telling me google isn't always right is an odd comment. The figures are compiled by the government, not google.

I'd also challenge your assertion that 'most Thai men have 2-3 wives, that's another ridiculous statement. Lastly, if your figure was correct, there would have to be a huge number of dead people registered as alive (where they live is irrelevant - we aren't doing a city by city breakdown). Let's say the population of Thailand is 67 million. 72% of the population is aged between 15-64, which is just over 42 million people. I believe the official statistics, i.e. .98 male to Female ratio, you think the ratio is .50 male to female. That means the official figures say there are 20,580,000 men and 21,420,000 women. You're suggesting the male figures are inflated and many of them are dead...well to get to your ratio of 2 women for every man, that would mean there are actually only 10,710,000 men....Are you seriously suggesting that there are ten million men registered as living in Thailand who don't actually exist? if you are then I am concerned for your sanity. (or perhaps you think there are 20 million Thai women living in the country who somehow manage to avoid being registered at all??)

if I were you, I'd just admit that your original figure was way out of line and stop trying to justify it with odd, anecdotal evidence about garbage collectors and their girlfriends.

Edited by inthepink

Well, you obviously do want to argue with me. I used google to find the figures, so telling me google isn't always right is an odd comment. The figures are compiled by the government, not google.

I'd also challenge your assertion that 'most Thai men have 2-3 wives, that's another ridiculous statement. Lastly, if your figure was correct, there would have to be a huge number of dead people registered as alive (where they live is irrelevant - we aren't doing a city by city breakdown). Let's say the population of Thailand is 67 million. 72% of the population is aged between 15-64, which is just over 42 million people. I believe the official statistics, i.e. .98 male to Female ratio, you think the ratio is .50 male to female. That means the official figures say there are 20,580,000 men and 21,420,000 women. You're suggesting the male figures are inflated and many of them are dead...well to get to your ratio of 2 women for every man, that would mean there are actually only 10,710,000 men....Are you seriously suggesting that there are ten million men registered as living in Thailand who don't actually exist? if you are then I am concerned for your sanity.

We've moved on now we're reminiscing about Thailand. All the stuff about black people and male/female ratios has got boring. You're welcome to join the discussion if you like.

I'd also challenge your assertion that 'most Thai men have 2-3 wives, that's another ridiculous statement. Lastly, if your figure was correct, there would have to be a huge number of dead people registered as alive (where they live is irrelevant - we aren't doing a city by city breakdown). Let's say the population of Thailand is 67 million. 72% of the population is aged between 15-64, which is just over 42 million people. I believe the official statistics, i.e. .98 male to Female ratio, you think the ratio is .50 male to female. That means the official figures say there are 20,580,000 men and 21,420,000 women. You're suggesting the male figures are inflated and many of them are dead...well to get to your ratio of 2 women for every man, that would mean there are actually only 10,710,000 men....Are you seriously suggesting that there are ten million men registered as living in Thailand who don't actually exist? if you are then I am concerned for your sanity.

We've moved on now we're reminiscing about Thailand. All the stuff about black people and male/female ratios has got boring. You're welcome to join the discussion if you like.

Not man enough to admit your claim was completely absurd then? OK, I can understand that. Thanks for the invite but I think any further discussion would be a waste of my time.

Edited by inthepink

I had a good feeling about Chaing Mai,

the food was great, cheap and the air was easy to breathe, better climate than BKK, until someone warned me about the burning and the inability to breathe,

I thought about that too as I just rode a bicycle in fresh air, sunshine, above average wind, allowing for deep breaths

I didnt find that in Thailand although Chaing Mai was good when I was there

the Dukes has great pizza and other food, I think they had a lamb shank also

• Like 1

the food was great, cheap and the air was easy to breathe, better climate than BKK, until someone warned me about the burning and the inability to breathe,

I thought about that too as I just rode a bicycle in fresh air, sunshine, above average wind, allowing for deep breaths

Yeah I like Chiang Mai but you have to get up on the mountain with the Hilltribes. We used to stay with them. You wake up in the morning and sometimes there is frost on the ground and you need a fire in the cool season. Chiang Mai food is very different, did you try Khao Soy?

Yeah I like Chiang Mai but you have to get up on the mountain with the Hilltribes. We used to stay with them. You wake up in the morning and sometimes there is frost on the ground and you need a fire in the cool season. Chiang Mai food is very different, did you try Khao Soy?

I was eating only western food, other than breakfast which was organic.

a female ran the family owned shop and they had wheatgrass, carrot beets, etc., It is where I started eating Thai food as I had the girl with me, and the entire staff of family, soon became fast friends, as we went most mornings and changed up the menu, all the while laughing and talking about Chaing Mai, Thailand, being in an organic family owned restaurant that had a happy, laughing female owner coook, who also, spoke enough english andn with a thai girl beside me, no one missed anything. The brother spoke english too and servedd the food his sister cookedd, it was great, especially after the watched me get two shots of wheatgrass every morning.

this was the upper end of my positive experience there,

Edited by Scarpolo
  • Like 1

I was eating only western food, other than breakfast which was organic.

a female ran the family owned shop and they had wheatgrass, carrot beets, etc., It is where I started eating Thai food as I had the girl with me

Sure the produce in Chiang Mai is the best in Thailand. It's so fresh. Most of it is organic or free range. Signing off now thanks for the very enjoyable chat. I expect you'll be back soon. Keep in touch.

• Like 1

Hello Guys. I am reading through everyone's posts. Thanks you for contributing.

I like to listen to motivational speeches. I also like motivational quotes. Anyway, I really relate to Steve Job's quote on death. I also like the speech he gave at Stanford in 2005.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moiraforbes/2011/10/05/steve-jobs-death-is-very-likely-the-single-best-invention-of-life/

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life.

Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet, death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it, and that is how it should be, because death is very likely the single best invention of life. It's life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new.

I know I need to take time with my girlfriend. I know the risk if I quickly marry this girl. I guess I should have worded it better.

I'm not taking the job in Surin. I've decided against it.

I'm going to apply for the teaching position in South Korea, and I will take it from there. One day at a time.

my friend,most of the sincere and warm-heart contributions here are the individual experiences of the individual contributors.all in all, I would like to give you

an advice which is the same for me and everyone as well who wanted to stay in this country

Your Finance resources FINISH---NO MONEY- NO LOVE- NO HONEY- NO-----------................ ENDING WITH TEARS

(my germany friend return to german with the flight bill by his son in german--real story happened 2008 )

Edited by steven2547
  • Like 1

I know I need to take time with my girlfriend. I know the risk if I quickly marry this girl. I guess I should have worded it better.

I'm not taking the job in Surin. I've decided against it.

I'm going to apply for the teaching position in South Korea, and I will take it from there. One day at a time.

my friend,most of the sincere and warm-heart contributions here are the individual experiences of the individual contributors.all in all, I would like to give you

an advice which is the same for me and everyone as well who wanted to stay in this country

Your Finance resources FINISH---NO MONEY- NO LOVE- NO HONEY- NO-----------................ ENDING WITH TEARS

(my germany friend return to german with the flight bill by his son in german )

the unversal truth

You are 44. Apart from the 3 year stint and the 2 years on Korea, what have you done for the rest 15 years? Starting to save for retirement at 44 means you'll never retire. So better start a school for after hours tuition. Lots of Thais with lots of money wanting their kids to be better than the rest means lots of fools willing to part with their money. Otherwise open an international schools. Lots of foreigners also willing to part with their money (or company's money) and most int'l schools in Thailand are full. Raise some money. Schools are an amazing business in Thailand.

I had a difficult time. I started college late in life. I was 28 when I started. I worked sh*t jobs. I pumped gas, worked midnight security, etc...

I tried working for the post office and I got hurt on the job. I had hernia surgery so they let me go.

I can't turn back time. I need to be proactive and think positive.

Anyway, they did studies on Americans and retirement. They found that a lot of people don't have enough to retire and are living paycheck to paycheck.

I have plenty of company.

I/3 of Americans only have $1,000 saved for retirement.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americans-only-have--1-000-saved-for-retirement-ebri-report-134741117.html

But do you also like to be another American that only have $1000 saved for retirement?

Is that thinking positive like you write?

You are 44. Apart from the 3 year stint and the 2 years on Korea, what have you done for the rest 15 years? Starting to save for retirement at 44 means you'll never retire. So better start a school for after hours tuition. Lots of Thais with lots of money wanting their kids to be better than the rest means lots of fools willing to part with their money. Otherwise open an international schools. Lots of foreigners also willing to part with their money (or company's money) and most int'l schools in Thailand are full. Raise some money. Schools are an amazing business in Thailand.

I had a difficult time. I started college late in life. I was 28 when I started. I worked sh*t jobs. I pumped gas, worked midnight security, etc...

I tried working for the post office and I got hurt on the job. I had hernia surgery so they let me go.

Anyway, they did studies on Americans and retirement. They found that a lot of people don't have enough to retire and are living paycheck to paycheck.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americans-only-have--1-000-saved-for-retirement-ebri-report-134741117.html

But do you also like to be another American that only have $1000 saved for retirement?

http://money.msn.com/retirement-plan/single-can-you-ever-retire-liz-weston

American median net worth by marital status

All households Ages 55-64

Married couples $144,580 $268,835

Single men $28,100 $69,350

Single women $30,026 $62,140

Source: Census Bureau, 2004

That's a 2004 article. Its ten years old and it doesn't reflect today's realities. Since the downturn in the USA economy a lot of people have lost their retirement. Their are also older people we ho have lost their jobs, and have given up trying to find work. The economy has improved, but we have a ways to go.

I didn't save early for retirement. I was foolish. I guess I should take a cyanide capsule and end my life.

I already stated that I will probably work until I'm at leat 70. If I'm still living that will give me 25 years to save. I look at it this way. Most people only survive for 10 years tops when they retire. I even think it might be shorter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by benj005
  • Like 1

That's a 2004 article. Its ten years old and it doesn't reflect today's realities. Since the downturn in the USA economy a lot of people have lost their retirement. Their are also older people we ho have lost their jobs, and have given up trying to find work. The economy has improved, but we have a ways to go.

I didn't save early for retirement. I was foolish. I guess I should take a cyanide capsule and end my life.

I already stated that I will probably work until I'm at leat 70. If I'm still living that will give me 25 years to save. I look at it this way. Most people only survive for 10 years tops when they retire. I even think it might be shorter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I retired 10 years ago in Thailand. I have a lot more now here in Thailand than I did when I got here.

I have bigger and better stuff and smaller and nicer people than I ever had in the West. I have a big new car, big new house, big new dog and a small new wife and a small new.......

When I came to Thailand that article i quoted above was new. So it worked for me. If I was you I wouldn't come to Thailand.

I retired at 40

I am now 54

retirement, gets boring

Not if you have hobbies and enough money to do fun things

and after you score 80 on the golf course, and then watch your score never approach it again?

14 years of fun things, is fun, yes,

but at 54, I look around, and all I see are people still in the game, still struggling, still trying to "make it" and,

a very small pool of other people, doing fun things

I retired at 40

I am now 54

retirement, gets boring

and after you score 80 on the golf course, and then watch your score never approach it again?

but at 54, I look around, and all I see are people still in the game, still struggling, still trying to "make it" and,

I'm a little bit older than you and play on handicap 5 ;)

I retired at 40

I am now 54

retirement, gets boring

I'm a little bit older than you and play on handicap 5 wink.png

If I was 65 and had the score I had at 40, I would probably sing a different tune,

Instead, I lived the high life, in every way for the last 15 years, (in Oct.)

and now, I am back in the states, and just feel 15 years older.

I am gonna give it another go, this time with friends in the building business,

and see where life takes me next,

the one thing I will say is,

having adult children, allows this freedom, so anyone considering having kids past 40,, I think they are out of their minds

I have a neighbor who is 53m and he has a pretty mexican wife, who is 40,

they have a 3 year old,

he had a vasectomy at 45, and, she talked him into reversing it,

talk about the power of feminine persuasion,

and she wasnt a Thai girl,

just another spanish girl from LA, who wanted a family, and he went for it,

is he sorry?

he doesnt say so, but his last words to me the other day as he left his sail boat, that stays tied to the dock now, is,

he has no time,

he has no freedom,

I looked at him, and remarked,

that is exactly what I have now, and I will never give that up again,

i dont care how cute she is

Many sad tales refer to this directly. The convincing echo of undying love, you die I die, only one man for me blah blah.

Give it a run in Korea and plan from there.

I am a Thai man and I can't even trust my own Thai gf.. Can't understand why many many farangs are willing to trust Thai ladies. I lived and still doing business in North Carolina but retire here in Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Your statement is based solely on your situation. The OP's question was not related to your answer as you have generalised all thai women the same.