Spending the remainder of my life in Thailand.

benj005

Hello Everybody. I need some real advice, and I'm going to be truthful about my current situation.

I will go over the last few years of my life so you can better understand my situation.

During the last two years I was working at an academy in South Korea. It was a very good experience. I met a lot of people, and I met my Thai girlfriend during this time. I took a trip to Thailand and we met. Although I was teaching in South Korea we started to date, and we eventually became serious. I finished my 2 year contract in November and I stopped in Thailand for a 2 week stay before I took my flight back to New Jersey. I've been home for 5 months now.

I hate it here. The taxes are unbearable. I had to pay taxes for 2013 even though I worked in South Korea. I'm looking for a way out of here so I can be with my girlfriend. What's the likely hood that I could make a wage or even start my own business in Thailand? I have a degree in special education. Maybe I could open a school for handicapped children? How about operating a bar? I'm currently looking at what I could do once I reach Thailand. I was offered a job in Surin last night as an ESL teacher for a local school. I don't know anything about this province so it's up in the air at the moment. I guess I could be looking at $30k baht for a starting salary?

I'm worried because of my age. I'm 44 years old, and I have just started to save for retirement. Obviously this is important to me. I'm worried that I could spend the next 10-20 years in Thailand with nothing to show. No money, zero investments, and no retirement.

My girlfriend wants to get married. She's 35 years old so I'm sure her biological clock is ticking. She wants to have a child and a house. That's only normal.

Finally, I could go back to South Korea and work for my old school, or I could get into EPIK. I'm actually filling out the application now. The pay is great and you get free housing. The downside is my girlfriend can't go with me.

To the people who have lived in Thailand for over 10 years. How do you do it? Do you have a business with your girlfriend/wife?

Thanks.

Edited by benj005

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't your girlfriend go with you? Thai people can go to Korea.

Jus' wunnerin

'nuff said

~

She can't come with me because...

1) We aren't married.

2)Even if we were married most schools will not sponsor a person who isn't working. She's not a teacher.

She could come to see me for 2-3 months at a time. That gets expensive though.

Edited by benj005

OP, Why aren't you teaching in the US? Teachers retire at almost the same amount of pay as they made when teaching. They are allowed to double dip and also collect Social Security. You complain about taxes now, but if you worked in the US for the next 20 years you would retire at something just under $80k per year. ??

You don't have to go to NJ either. It's notorious for high taxes and high cost of living.

If you marry this gal, there is a forum here with experts who will help you get her to the US. Then if you want you can retire in style in Thailand. Your kids will grow up in a first world envirionment with a first world education (which you can't afford on a teacher's salary in Thailand)

If your wife teaches your kids Thai and they have dual citizenship, when they graduate from college they can return to Thailand and set the world on fire while you retire there.

Finding a teaching position has been a challenge for me. Currently, the competition is fierce. We just had a large district close their schools due to low enrollment. The teachers who worked for this district are now unemployed. When a school has an opening for just one position they get 300 applicants. Also, the governor of New Jersey has decimated the school districts. Their pensions and health benefits have taken a beating.

Thanks for the help.

Of course everyone's opinion will differ but for me, teaching English in Thailand isn't a long term career and I'd say you'd find it pretty tough to get married, raise a family, buy/build a house and save for your future on 30k Baht.

I'm in my late 20's and have been here for nearly 4 years. I taught English for the first two years and whilst it was a great experience, a long term career it is not and to be honest I (like many others I guess) only did it to stay in the country because there are so few other employment opportunities for farangs in Thailand.

When our daughter was born 30k wasn't really enough. People will say 'well Thai people live on 10k a month', well maybe they do, but when you add trips to the doctors, milk and supplies for baby, then unexpected hits to the finances, air con unit breaking, new laptop, unexpected visa run to Laos because your school messes up you B visa paperwork, it all adds up and 30k doesn't go very far - forget having any left over for savings.

If you want to stay here really long term, maybe setting up your own business is the way to go?? I don't, I got lucky and found employment in the private sector (not teaching) and earning a considerably better salary, which means my family and I live a comfortable life now but I hate to think how we would be if we were still trying to get by on 30k, to be honest, I doubt I'd still be in Thailand.

That said, they'll probably be a load of posts from people saying how they have taught here living on 30k for years and years. It's just that from my experience and with a young family, it was tough earning that kind of money.

Anyway, good luck and don't let my post put you off - dare to dream

I know $30k baht is low. That's not even $1k USD a month. My girlfriend would like me to open a small school. I don't know if I want to do this.

How did you find employment in the private sector? Is it something that you went to school for?

Thanks.

Special Ed. Degree is a good start it depend on each school since the degree is not a big issue here in Thailand. Better find a location to invest and open your own school, 80% of school owner make very good money here.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Of course everyone's opinion will differ but for me, teaching English in Thailand isn't a long term career and I'd say you'd find it pretty tough to get married, raise a family, buy/build a house and save for your future on 30k Baht.

I'm in my late 20's and have been here for nearly 4 years. I taught English for the first two years and whilst it was a great experience, a long term career it is not and to be honest I (like many others I guess) only did it to stay in the country because there are so few other employment opportunities for farangs in Thailand.

When our daughter was born 30k wasn't really enough. People will say 'well Thai people live on 10k a month', well maybe they do, but when you add trips to the doctors, milk and supplies for baby, then unexpected hits to the finances, air con unit breaking, new laptop, unexpected visa run to Laos because your school messes up you B visa paperwork, it all adds up and 30k doesn't go very far - forget having any left over for savings.

If you want to stay here really long term, maybe setting up your own business is the way to go?? I don't, I got lucky and found employment in the private sector (not teaching) and earning a considerably better salary, which means my family and I live a comfortable life now but I hate to think how we would be if we were still trying to get by on 30k, to be honest, I doubt I'd still be in Thailand.

That said, they'll probably be a load of posts from people saying how they have taught here living on 30k for years and years. It's just that from my experience and with a young family, it was tough earning that kind of money.

Anyway, good luck and don't let my post put you off - dare to dream

I know $30k baht is low. That's not even $1k USD a month. My girlfriend would like me to open a small school. I don't know if I want to do this.

How did you find employment in the private sector? Is it something that you went to school for?

Thanks.

Yes, part what I studied for and part what I already had experience of working in my home country. But to be honest I was just in the right place at the right time, very lucky.

Maybe opening a language school in an area where there aren't many language schools (some upcountry province) would be a good way to go. Don't think you're going to open a language school in Phuket, Samui or Pattaya and things will all be sweet.

IMO, if you have a serious relationship and are not planning on fooling around, living in Thailand is very dangerous option. Most Western owned businesses do not make any money or fail completely and most teachers barely make enough to survive on a Western lifestyle.

If you plan on fooling around in the bars and massage parlors like crazy, it might be worth taking the chance, but otherwise teaching back home or in another rich country is a lot safer option.

Dangerous....why ? Really interested to know.

Stay where you are.

Supposing you manage to double your potential income here to 60K in the private sector, its still only 2 grand. Doing what you are doing now in Japan or Korea as you know, a BASE salary of 2.5G is paid. In a few years when happy families are on the books, you will start to look to education etc... then at 50 something with no money accrued really from your stint here, you will want to up stumps and start again to educate your kids. My advise, which is what you came here for. Thailand is not for you, now. Wait until your 50-60's to start thinking about it. If she can't be worked into this plan then, you have to look at that too.

Oz

I am a Thai man and I can't even trust my own Thai gf.. Can't understand why many many farangs are willing to trust Thai ladies. I lived and still doing business in North Carolina but retire here in Thailand.

Your statement is based solely on your situation. The OP's question was not related to your answer as you have generalised all thai women the same.

I think you should focus your job search on getting a teaching position with one of the many International schools here in Thailand and forget about those 30,000 bhat jobs. Google international schools in Thailand and that should get you started.

True. The pay is much better. The problem is I don't have the 2 years of in class experience that they demand. Hagwons in South Korea do not count, and I was only a teacher's aide in New Jersey. I need to get more experience under my belt.

:(

IMO, if you have a serious relationship and are not planning on fooling around, living in Thailand is very dangerous option. Most Western owned businesses do not make any money or fail completely and most teachers barely make enough to survive on a Western lifestyle.

If you plan on fooling around in the bars and massage parlors like crazy, it might be worth taking the chance, but otherwise teaching back home or in another rich country is a lot safer option.

Dangerous....why ? Really interested to know.

It is too easy to end up with no money for retirement and that is a bad predicament anywhere, but even worse in what is, in many ways, a third world country. However, if one is major womanizer, it might be worth taking the chance.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Who says the Hagwons don't count? It's all in how you sell & present yourself. Confidently proclaim your 2 years of teaching in an international setting, plus your experience in student teaching, plus your degree -- it all makes you a strong candidate. Stop looking for reasons to disqualify yourself; let them employer do that. You need to present the reasons why you're the best candidate for the job, and I would say there are many.

I have low self esteem issues. I've been battling this for a long time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Whilst I wouldn't recommend moving here if you are worried about saving for retirement, I'm not sure why you think you would have to work for ฿30,000 if you have a degree in special education. Surely you could land a job at a bilingual school for 50-60k, even if you don't think you are qualified to teach at an international school?

EDIT: I just re-read your original post and saw the bit about Surin. Don't work there if you want to earn a reasonable salary.

Edited by inthepink

If you have a degree in education then that changes things entirely. You could get a job at a good international school earning 100k+ per month, life would be very nice then. I know a proper qualified teacher (by that I mean she was qualified to teach in her home country, not just a TEFLer) and she was earning 124k per month teaching at an international school and that wasn't even in Bangkok. Earning that kind of money you could easily save 50k per month

• Like 1

Special Ed. Degree is a good start it depend on each school since the degree is not a big issue here in Thailand. Better find a location to invest and open your own school, 80% of school owner make very good money here.

my Wife and I own/ operate a small school here Nongrua/ Khon Kaen....120 kids 3-7 years old....around 180,000 bhat a month gross. Our over-head is very low...Teachers make 5000b a month x 8 = 40,000b in wages., food, electric, fuel for 2 vans= 30,000b month.

Thats just the expected costs each month.....leaves us with 110,000b a month....not alot for a 4 million bhat investment.

Re. other things you could do, much depends on the type of contacts you make once you are over here. Teaching is by no means the only option. I met somebody in a bar in Sukhumvit whilst I was here on holiday and ended up being interviewed for a software developer position that paid the same level of salary you would get in the West. Some people run restaurants, some people fly under the radar and work from home, some 'manage their investments'. You could, as another poster suggested, just come over and see what occurs. After a few months you should have a much better idea of what is and what is not possible for you personally.

• Like 1

my Wife and I own/ operate a small school here Nongrua/ Khon Kaen....120 kids 3-7 years old....around 180,000 bhat a month gross. Our over-head is very low...Teachers make 5000b a month x 8 = 40,000b in wages., food, electric, fuel for 2 vans= 30,000b month.

Thats just the expected costs each month.....leaves us with 110,000b a month....not alot for a 4 million bhat investment.[/quo

Within 3.5 years you'll get your investment return back and enjoy more and more profit, that's pretty dam good to me! I currently have three Thai restaurants in North Carolina; started with just one 30 years ago and now retired but the business still go on.

• Like 1