Spending the remainder of my life in Thailand.

benj005

I know people teaching at international schools in Thailand earning great money with only a teaching degree but no teaching license back home. You can network your way in if you are on the ground here, but probably not from somewhere like Surin. You can't do TEFL as a career but at the international schools your quality of life will be way better than teaching in America. If you have kids they will go to school free, which is really the only expensive part of living in Thailand.

Most of the "generally accepted wisdom" you will find here on tv, such as the the myth that Thailand is only a place to spend money but not make it, is total bs. I know loads of people who have become rich in this country, but they don't open a bar or massage parlor.

You can have a great life here as teacher in an international school but not as a TEFL teacher (at least not long term). If you are not confident about your current qualifications start an online PGCE, and/or get some international school in am easier market such as Turkey or somewhere first, then apply from there to schools in Thailand.

Good luck, follow your dreams and don't listen to naysayers.

• Like 1

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, Why aren't you teaching in the US? Teachers retire at almost the same amount of pay as they made when teaching. They are allowed to double dip and also collect Social Security. You complain about taxes now, but if you worked in the US for the next 20 years you would retire at something just under $80k per year. ??

You don't have to go to NJ either. It's notorious for high taxes and high cost of living.

If you marry this gal, there is a forum here with experts who will help you get her to the US. Then if you want you can retire in style in Thailand. Your kids will grow up in a first world envirionment with a first world education (which you can't afford on a teacher's salary in Thailand)

If your wife teaches your kids Thai and they have dual citizenship, when they graduate from college they can return to Thailand and set the world on fire while you retire there.

Great advice. I will say that if you are starting at 44, then you will not retire at 80k/yr unless you make some heavy duty contributions. My brother just retired after 30 years in L.A. Unified starting as an ESL teacher and ending as a V.P. He gets about $5,500/month, but only because he jumped to administration the last few years to jack the retirement level. He was making more as a V.P. But all of the numbers are knowable if you just do the research.

When I came here 3 years ago, my wife also wanted a house; but she already owned one and I have owned too many and refused. We rent a nice 3/2 in a very attractive older village south of C.M. for $300 a month. I am 69; my wife is 53 and does not work. We have a motorbike and a 10 year old Corona (hers), good private health insurance for both of us (TB10,000/mo). My retirement is about TB68,000/mo and it takes $55,000 to live, including setting aside money for car repairs, emergencies, etc. The rest goes into savings and vacations.

Unless you are living in the countryside, you will find that TB30,000 (if you can get that much) will not be enough for a house and family.

IMO, if you have a serious relationship and are not planning on fooling around, living in Thailand is very dangerous option. Most Western owned businesses do not make any money or fail completely and most teachers barely make enough to survive on a Western lifestyle.

If you plan on fooling around in the bars and massage parlors like crazy, it might be worth taking the chance, but otherwise teaching back home or in another rich country is a lot safer option.

Dangerous....why ? Really interested to know.

Look what happened to you!

How can you claim Thailand isn't a problem for many foreigners?

Then there are all the posters like Brit, who lost millions.'

Thailand is the land of business and relationship failures.

Not so bad for those who are fully financed, but hell on those who still have to work for a living.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Double Sure--teachers in the USA don not double dip. They have a retirement program from the state they teach in that they pay into during there teaching career. The teachers and the school districts also pay into social security during their careers. So when teachers retire they are only getting back money they saved and invested. Most young teachers cannot live on their teaching salaries and have to take other jobs during the school year and especially in the summer when they are laid off by the school districts they teach in. Teachers get no paid vacation time or holiday pay. They are only paid for the contract days they work. So Double Sure you are highly misinformed, like most people, about teachers in the USA.

To the young many who wants to live in Thailand--it will be very difficult if you want to have some type of retirement in the future. You would be better off trying to bring your gf to the USA and find a job for here there , so you can start saving money. You would have to get a fiancee visa and marry her in the US or marry her in Thailand and try to get a spousal visa. Good luck!

IMO, if you have a serious relationship and are not planning on fooling around, living in Thailand is very dangerous option. Most Western owned businesses do not make any money or fail completely and most teachers barely make enough to survive on a Western lifestyle.

If you plan on fooling around in the bars and massage parlors like crazy, it might be worth taking the chance, but otherwise teaching back home or in another rich country is a lot safer option.

Dangerous....why ? Really interested to know.
Look what happened to you!

How can you claim Thailand isn't a problem for many foreigners?

Then there are all the posters like Brit, who lost millions.'

Thailand is the land of business and relationship failures.

Not so bad for those who are fully financed, but hell on those who still have to work for a living.

Thanks for your concern. I was only interested in his opinion. Therefore i asked. I did not claim anything btw.

I hope all is ok with you.

Edited by benalibina
  • Like 1

A Thai reader sharing a comment here.

If I were you, I would not move to live in Thailand especially with the current sluggish economy in Thailand. Hold off on having a child unless you have some good standing financial standing but your g/f may be impatient otherwise. If your g/f has a decent pay job in Thailand too, your starter earning income of 30k/month and her income save up together for a couple years that would ease up financial drain on having a baby in the next two years. It is not too late to wait for a few years to plan having a family tie. Don't let your g/f pressures you about her getting old which 35 years old is not old and it is not too late to try having a first baby at age of late 30's either. As long you two work together as a team to help save up some financial security to be ready for your first baby is born to help you spend that savings of yours.

There are so many language schools grown like mushroom but not enough students. Stick to work (in South Korea) where you can earn a good income for a couple years to help gain your confidence that would help you plan your future better than now.

Choke dee.

• Like 1

OP, Why aren't you teaching in the US? Teachers retire at almost the same amount of pay as they made when teaching. They are allowed to double dip and also collect Social Security. You complain about taxes now, but if you worked in the US for the next 20 years you would retire at something just under $80k per year. ??

You don't have to go to NJ either. It's notorious for high taxes and high cost of living.

If you marry this gal, there is a forum here with experts who will help you get her to the US. Then if you want you can retire in style in Thailand. Your kids will grow up in a first world envirionment with a first world education (which you can't afford on a teacher's salary in Thailand)

If your wife teaches your kids Thai and they have dual citizenship, when they graduate from college they can return to Thailand and set the world on fire while you retire there.

Totally agree.More than you in the equation now if your serious.Responsibility is a bugger.Get a nest egg together,pension etc.,first.Being a poor old broke farang in Thailand is no joke

• Like 1

In 2010 I moved to Thailand to spend the rest of my life there. It's 2014 now and I'm living in Australia.

Don't make any major commitments, by all means move to Thailand, enjoy yourself, but don't buy a house, marry, etc until you're absolutely sure you want to live in Thailand. That's not to say I didn't enjoy Thailand, I loved it and plan to move back there one day, but I hated that I was missing on so many opportunities back in Aus.

Why get married at all.Small village wedding to keep things honest and thats it.

Great advice. I will say that if you are starting at 44, then you will not retire at 80k/yr unless you make some heavy duty contributions. My brother just retired after 30 years in L.A. Unified starting as an ESL teacher and ending as a V.P. He gets about $5,500/month, but only because he jumped to administration the last few years to jack the retirement level. He was making more as a V.P. But all of the numbers are knowable if you just do the research.

When I came here 3 years ago, my wife also wanted a house; but she already owned one and I have owned too many and refused. We rent a nice 3/2 in a very attractive older village south of C.M. for $300 a month. I am 69; my wife is 53 and does not work. We have a motorbike and a 10 year old Corona (hers), good private health insurance for both of us (TB10,000/mo). My retirement is about TB68,000/mo and it takes $55,000 to live, including setting aside money for car repairs, emergencies, etc. The rest goes into savings and vacations.

Unless you are living in the countryside, you will find that TB30,000 (if you can get that much) will not be enough for a house and family.

Good stuff. Someone said a teacher in the US makes $2,500 - 3,000 per month. The only ones I know that make that little are newbies out of college who are still finishing their credentials. $5k plus medical ins. and generous retirement programs are more like it. A lot of teachers make more than that.

If your brother's retirement is $5,500 per month, he's also eligible for social security which is going to be at least another $2K per month. Together that's more than the $80k I mentioned. That's more than 240,000 baht per month, and that's without any personal savings.

20 years is long enough to get a home paid off, save some serious money, and develop that 240k retirement income.

Up to him.

In 2010 I moved to Thailand to spend the rest of my life there. It's 2014 now and I'm living in Australia.

Don't make any major commitments, by all means move to Thailand, enjoy yourself, but don't buy a house, marry, etc until you're absolutely sure you want to live in Thailand. That's not to say I didn't enjoy Thailand, I loved it and plan to move back there one day, but I hated that I was missing on so many opportunities back in Aus.

Why get married at all.Small village wedding to keep things honest and thats it.

Seemed like it was important to him, I hear you though - I've been in a defacto partnership with my Thai girl for 3 years now.

Re. other things you could do, much depends on the type of contacts you make once you are over here. Teaching is by no means the only option. I met somebody in a bar in Sukhumvit whilst I was here on holiday and ended up being interviewed for a software developer position that paid the same level of salary you would get in the West. Some people run restaurants, some people fly under the radar and work from home, some 'manage their investments'. You could, as another poster suggested, just come over and see what occurs. After a few months you should have a much better idea of what is and what is not possible for you personally.

True,suck it and see for a year.1 more year in the long run is nothing but will clarify many things,including personal situation.

Special Ed. Degree is a good start it depend on each school since the degree is not a big issue here in Thailand. Better find a location to invest and open your own school, 80% of school owner make very good money here.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A degree is a very big issue in Thailand,

and the few farangs that have opened a school that i know of have soon closed.

• Like 1

Hi at the age of 44 rather late to start saving for retirement. To obtain 65% of your current salary you need to save 35% of current salary if you assume a good rate of return (7% real). Therefore take 65% of any salary as spendable.

A bar is a dead ender and to be honest you need to re-evaluate your life. I did this 7 years ago (I am also 44) while TEFLing and I went back to UK for 4 years to qualify as a teacher as I could see that being 40s/50s as a TEFLer was impossible unless already "retired". You do not count as a qualified teacher and forget the BSers on here saying you should be earning 140k Bht.

International schools exist in tiers and the 1st tier pay 6,000-9,000 USD per month USD in Asia. 2nd-3rd tier pay 4,000-7,000 USD per month in Asia.

But in Thailand many 3rd tier schools are cutting back and going for Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs) paying 80,000 Baht. These are usually mid 20s and just out of training (with certification and one years experience). They are cheating parents (shock! lol)

Below the 1st-3rd tier are private schools in Asia - often labelled "international schools" that are not really but employ some westerners. Special needs however is really not required as special need students are either not accepted or considered.

These pay 50,000-65,000 Baht typically in Bangkok. You can aim for these as you have an education degree - primary more likely. But you need the ability to do so; teaching primary takes energy and a young at heart attitude.

The second thing is you say you have low self-esteem and now have a Thai gf. BIG RED WARNING FLASHING LIGHTS! How did you meet her? Bar? Ok so you are shy and lack confidence with women and in reality most Thai women are decent. BUT the type that most lonely quiet Farang men meet are not those. You need to think about that. "No money, no honey" relationships are ultimately a disaster. Personally there are very few Thai women who are native English speakers who I would be interested in so hence my move to Malaysia where many are native speakers. And I now have an American gf (of Asian heritage so best of both worlds) and so much easier to relate to and ultimately we all want that. Ask yourself that question Can you relate to your gf? Personally I suggest Vietnam. So many good looking, decent, well educated with good jobs, and loving women available. good teaching opportunities and easier to set up own business with a Vietnamese gf. I think it is fare better last resort for western men looking for a last chance. It is my plan B! And that was from personal experience after spending a few weeks there...... ok I am not shy so tested out a few (!), got offered a good job quickly, and met guys there drinking who were not exactly Mr Charisma who had lovely wives. They were fixed up with by friends gfs etc as Vietnamese women are considered too old and past it at 23 (!) and local men are fussy / want virgins. Once you know someone wives/gfs will match make for you! Great for the shy and none of the drama of Thai bar (or quasi bar) girls (very few like that in Vietnam and they are best avoided of course).

Vietnam is like an untapped reserve of happiness for men, Thailand is nothing in comparison and was mined out a long time ago. I do love Bangkok, but especially with political instability try Saigon! Plenty more fish in the sea smile.png You can't ruin your financial future for the sake of one woman. A hard fact of life. Vietnam you should visit and see got yourself. Try online dating if you are shy. Most decent gals won't talk to you in a bar. Get some dates, talk to some you will see how friendly and real they are. Most speak decent English, some near native. I had a 20 year old student propose we hook up for the week and get married after she graduated. She was smoking hot but I couldn't as too young (!) well I would feel guilty. But met women from 25 to 32 who would be perfect as gfs and wives. Perfect also for shy men as they were all decent, married minded and kind with well paid jobs. Many can get jobs overseas and would follow a husband.

Try finding that in Thailand! Far harder.

I like your observations about Vietnam,

but, how do they really feel about Americans?

I am a Thai man and I can't even trust my own Thai gf.. Can't understand why many many farangs are willing to trust Thai ladies. I lived and still doing business in North Carolina but retire here in Thailand.

Your statement is based solely on your situation. The OP's question was not related to your answer as you have generalised all thai women the same.

A-Hole! Every Thai woman is out for what she can get and it's up to you what you are willing to give her. They give a lot in return but there ain't no romance without finance. So go back to your magic world of unicorns and saving prostitutes from their "Fate". Your time will come if it hasn't already. Obviously Khun Sakthai is a well educated Thai man. How dare you criticize him you clown!

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

Hi at the age of 44 rather late to start saving for retirement. To obtain 65% of your current salary you need to save 35% of current salary if you assume a good rate of return (7% real). Therefore take 65% of any salary as spendable.

A bar is a dead ender and to be honest you need to re-evaluate your life. I did this 7 years ago (I am also 44) while TEFLing and I went back to UK for 4 years to qualify as a teacher as I could see that being 40s/50s as a TEFLer was impossible unless already "retired". You do not count as a qualified teacher and forget the BSers on here saying you should be earning 140k Bht.

International schools exist in tiers and the 1st tier pay 6,000-9,000 USD per month USD in Asia. 2nd-3rd tier pay 4,000-7,000 USD per month in Asia.

But in Thailand many 3rd tier schools are cutting back and going for Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs) paying 80,000 Baht. These are usually mid 20s and just out of training (with certification and one years experience). They are cheating parents (shock! lol)

Below the 1st-3rd tier are private schools in Asia - often labelled "international schools" that are not really but employ some westerners. Special needs however is really not required as special need students are either not accepted or considered.

These pay 50,000-65,000 Baht typically in Bangkok. You can aim for these as you have an education degree - primary more likely. But you need the ability to do so; teaching primary takes energy and a young at heart attitude.

The second thing is you say you have low self-esteem and now have a Thai gf. BIG RED WARNING FLASHING LIGHTS! How did you meet her? Bar? Ok so you are shy and lack confidence with women and in reality most Thai women are decent. BUT the type that most lonely quiet Farang men meet are not those. You need to think about that. "No money, no honey" relationships are ultimately a disaster. Personally there are very few Thai women who are native English speakers who I would be interested in so hence my move to Malaysia where many are native speakers. And I now have an American gf (of Asian heritage so best of both worlds) and so much easier to relate to and ultimately we all want that. Ask yourself that question Can you relate to your gf? Personally I suggest Vietnam. So many good looking, decent, well educated with good jobs, and loving women available. good teaching opportunities and easier to set up own business with a Vietnamese gf. I think it is fare better last resort for western men looking for a last chance. It is my plan B! And that was from personal experience after spending a few weeks there...... ok I am not shy so tested out a few (!), got offered a good job quickly, and met guys there drinking who were not exactly Mr Charisma who had lovely wives. They were fixed up with by friends gfs etc as Vietnamese women are considered too old and past it at 23 (!) and local men are fussy / want virgins. Once you know someone wives/gfs will match make for you! Great for the shy and none of the drama of Thai bar (or quasi bar) girls (very few like that in Vietnam and they are best avoided of course).

Vietnam is like an untapped reserve of happiness for men, Thailand is nothing in comparison and was mined out a long time ago. I do love Bangkok, but especially with political instability try Saigon! Plenty more fish in the sea smile.png You can't ruin your financial future for the sake of one woman. A hard fact of life. Vietnam you should visit and see got yourself. Try online dating if you are shy. Most decent gals won't talk to you in a bar. Get some dates, talk to some you will see how friendly and real they are. Most speak decent English, some near native. I had a 20 year old student propose we hook up for the week and get married after she graduated. She was smoking hot but I couldn't as too young (!) well I would feel guilty. But met women from 25 to 32 who would be perfect as gfs and wives. Perfect also for shy men as they were all decent, married minded and kind with well paid jobs. Many can get jobs overseas and would follow a husband.

Try finding that in Thailand! Far harder.

I like your observations about Vietnam,

but, how do they really feel about Americans?

They believe that some Americans are still hiding somewhere in the jungle, as they don't seem to know that the war's over.

• Like 1

I am a Thai man and I can't even trust my own Thai gf.. Can't understand why many many farangs are willing to trust Thai ladies. I lived and still doing business in North Carolina but retire here in Thailand.

Your statement is based solely on your situation. The OP's question was not related to your answer as you have generalised all thai women the same.

A-Hole! Every Thai woman is out for what she can get and it's up to you what you are willing to give her. They give a lot in return but there ain't no romance without finance. So go back to your magic world of unicorns and saving prostitutes from their "Fate". Your time will come if it hasn't already. Obviously Khun Sakthai is a well educated Thai man. How dare you criticize him you clown!

I agree, no finance, no romance,

unless they ugly,

or chubby

or old

• Like 2

Sorry if you're being sarcastic but this is one of the most idiotic posts I've had the misfortune of reading here. steven100 made a very reasonable statement (hardly criticism) and you insult him and make offensive insinuations.

If you really believe what you write I feel sorry for you, but I suggest you really need to meet more Thai people, the bulk of them are honest people. Just remember that the ones who go out hoping to meet you are far more likely to be the dishonest ones.

Finding a teaching position has been a challenge for me. Currently, the competition is fierce. We just had a large district close their schools due to low enrollment. The teachers who worked for this district are now unemployed. When a school has an opening for just one position they get 300 applicants. Also, the governor of New Jersey has decimated the school districts. Their pensions and health benefits have taken a beating.

Thanks for the help.

Got two words for ya: Texas. Florida.

Finding a teaching position has been a challenge for me. Currently, the competition is fierce. We just had a large district close their schools due to low enrollment. The teachers who worked for this district are now unemployed. When a school has an opening for just one position they get 300 applicants. Also, the governor of New Jersey has decimated the school districts. Their pensions and health benefits have taken a beating.

Thanks for the help.

Got two words for ya: Texas. Florida.

Florida is still growing,

Texas also, but, even hotter than Florida, and no ocean breeze

Sorry if you're being sarcastic but this is one of the most idiotic posts I've had the misfortune of reading here. steven100 made a very reasonable statement (hardly criticism) and you insult him and make offensive insinuations.

If you really believe what you write I feel sorry for you, but I suggest you really need to meet more Thai people, the bulk of them are honest people. Just remember that the ones who go out hoping to meet you are far more likely to be the dishonest ones.

Look Buddy I have lived here for 25 years and have two wives and much more Thai male friends than falung friends. They all tell me the same story and my Thai friends are Directors, Politicians, Generals etc. Not motorbike taxi drivers. Thai women want money for self preservation because there is no social security system. Also close to 2/3 of the population is female so they are always worried you are going to find someone else. Regarding the OP's post if you can't flush $20-$30,000 down the toilet today without feeling it, I would suggest you reconsider your plan of coming to Thailand.

Edited by ATF

I live in Surin, I've taught English in SK and Thailand so have some background on this.

You will not save money working as a teacher, or starting a school here if you are single, let alone if you are supporting a woman (and you will - and all her family). As a teacher you would give your lady some socal status, but do not expect any Baht left at the end of the month.

Get an EPIC job in SK - if you do not piss it up against the wall you should save at least $10,000 US a year. On a year contract in SK I saved US$12,500 even after three overseas vacations while on that contract.

Here in Thailand you will not save a cent.

Not sure how or where you met your lady but if it was in a bar or some place similar, loose her.

Don't even consider a Thai lady unless she has a degree, a good job, a house and a car.

A few Thai / farang relationships work well long term but not many.

Thailand is now my home but I have income from my old country, so life is easy.

Good luck.

• Like 2

If you think you have a talent for business why don’t you start a business in your home country where they speak your language and possibly less corruption and hand outs to be given, I have a business in my home country and now employ over 20 people and I normally stay in Thailand for three or four months at a time and when I go back home my Thai wife comes with me if you have a good management team around you then nothing stopping you having long vacations and as for paying taxes if you are making money then you must pay taxes ever ware so everyone is in the same boat regarding taxes and if you don’t make money then you don’t pay taxes