Spending the remainder of my life in Thailand.

benj005

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think you have a talent for business why don’t you start a business in your home country where they speak your language and possibly less corruption and hand outs to be given, I have a business in my home country and now employ over 20 people and I normally stay in Thailand for three or four months at a time and when I go back home my Thai wife comes with me if you have a good management team around you then nothing stopping you having long vacations and as for paying taxes if you are making money then you must pay taxes ever ware so everyone is in the same boat regarding taxes and if you don’t make money then you don’t pay taxes

We dont know if at 44, he hasnt been married before, or if there are kids.

He didnt say either so if we assume no, then we have a guy who isnt used to having choices with women,

and, he is already hooked, on the first one?

he is in danger and every poster from Thailand knows this, so why not tell him the truth without sugar coating the words,

OP, You are not safe in Thailand under the circumstances you describe.

I do not say, you will be harmed, physically,

but, in every other way, you are out matched

for starters:

Why hunt for Thai, while in S Korea?

How and why did a Thai girl find him maybe is the right question?

I enjoyed my time in Thailand, but to try and start a new life there, without residual income from the States, is a disaster in the making,

With his only option, a girl he barely knows,

what are his odds?

Edited by Scarpolo

Look Buddy I have lived here for 25 years and have two wives and much more Thai male friends than falung friends. They all tell me the same story and my Thai friends are Directors, Politicians, Generals etc. Not motorbike taxi drivers. Thai women want money for self preservation because there is no social security system. Also close to 2/3 of the population is female so they are always worried you are going to find someone else. Regarding the OP's post if you can't flush $20-$30,000 down the toilet today without feeling it, I would suggest you reconsider your plan of coming to Thailand.

Trying to teach a Thai man about Thai women. What a clown! You probably don't even speak Thai! 555

I really got to you didn't I? I don't bother to respond to your "I'm friends with generals, politicians therefore what I say is right" show for 15 minutes and you post again demanding a response? Based on everything you write, I can't imagine why any Thai woman would want to be in a relationship with you except for money. So it's not surprising at all that you believe all Thai women just want money.

Thank you guys. The opinions that were expressed in my thread are great. I'm going to read each one, and hopefully this will give me a clearer picture.

Anyway, I should say some things.

*I'm a 44 year old white man

*Single, No Children (Thank God!)

*I'm from America (NJ)

*I have a degree in special education, and I'm highly qualified to teach grade K-5th (The highly qualified status is a NJ requirement)

*I did a 3 year stint as a classroom aide in a self contained room.

*I worked for 2 years as an ESL teacher in South Korea.

*I started late saving for my retirement. I have an IRA Roth Account that just started putting money in.

*I have never lived in Thailand. I've only been there on vacation. I know big difference.

*My girlfriend is a Thai from Bangkok. She is 35 years old. We met thru a dating site called OK Cupid. She is not a bar girl! She works for a sports company as receptionist. I've been to her work and I've met her friends. Her father is dead.She has a mother who is very nice. My gf is from Korat. She wants the typical Thai wedding with Sin Sod. I don't mind because the mom will give the money back to us.

Most of our relationship has been long distance. Our plan is to be together. This will happen 2 ways. I'm going to go to Thailand, or she is going to come to America.

*What I really like about Thailand is the low cost of living. I like the people and the weather. Thai food is amazing.

*I shouldn't have said that I suffer from self esteem or confidence issues. That was a bad choice of words. The answer would be I doubt my abilities sometimes. I made it thru 2 years at a Korean academy working 12 hour days so I must be doing something right.

Finally, Its a bad time to be a teacher in America. They are losing their benefits and health coverage. Governor Christie in New Jersey has waged a war on educators. He is in the process of ending tenure. NJ teachers have given up a lot and have gotten very little in return. He's even in the process of extending the school year. The drop out rate for first year teachers is very high. You do anything remotely wrong and they want to get rid of you. Veteran teachers are even warning people to stay away from teaching. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randy-turner/a-warning-to-young-people_b_3033304.html

Thanks for help.

Edited by benj005

American ignorance is a very very dangerous thing and thai ladies love it. Come on over....do whatever you want....in the end, you will learn what you should have researched in the beginning....keep researching this topic before you make a decision......

Unless......

You happen to find a thai lady with her OWN money and she is willing to support you while you get your crap together.

Perhaps you can try Ukraine women....they don't hate all americans and they do love the money just like thai ladies.

If you have your heart set on asia.....go back to korea or try vietnam

Look Buddy I have lived here for 25 years and have two wives and much more Thai male friends than falung friends. They all tell me the same story and my Thai friends are Directors, Politicians, Generals etc. Not motorbike taxi drivers. Thai women want money for self preservation because there is no social security system. Also close to 2/3 of the population is female so they are always worried you are going to find someone else. Regarding the OP's post if you can't flush $20-$30,000 down the toilet today without feeling it, I would suggest you reconsider your plan of coming to Thailand.

Trying to teach a Thai man about Thai women. What a clown! You probably don't even speak Thai! 555

I really got to you didn't I? I don't bother to respond to your "I'm friends with generals, politicians therefore what I say is right" show for 15 minutes and you post again demanding a response? Based on everything you write, I can't imagine why any Thai woman would want to be in a relationship with you except for money. So it's not surprising at all that you believe all Thai women just want money.

Two wives?

All women all over the World want security and a good standard of living and if you can't provide that she's either going to leave you or take what she can, ask Donald Trump if you don't believe me.

Thank you guys. The opinions that were expressed in my thread are great. I'm going to read each one, and hopefully this will give me a clearer picture.

*I'm from America (NJ)

*I have a degree in special education, and I'm highly qualified to teach grade K-5th (The highly qualified status is a NJ requirement)

*I started late saving for my retirement. I have an IRA Roth Account that just started putting money in.

*I have never lived in Thailand. I've only been there on vacation. I know big difference.

*My girlfriend is a Thai from Bangkok. She is 35 years old. We met thru a dating site called OK Cupid. She is not a bar girl! She works for a sports company as receptionist. I've been to her work and I've met her friends. Her father is dead.She has a mother who is very nice. My gf is from Korat. She wants the typical Thai wedding with Sin Sod. I don't mind because the mom will give the money back to us.

Most of our relationship has been long distance. Our plan is to be together. This will happen 2 ways. I'm going to go to Thailand, or she is going to come to America.

*What I really like about Thailand is the low cost of living. I like the people and the weather. Thai food is amazing.

*I shouldn't have said that I suffer from self esteem or confidence issues. That was a bad choice of words. The answer would be I doubt my abilities sometimes. I made it thru 2 years at a Korean academy working 12 hour days so I must be doing something right.

Finally, Its a bad time to be a teacher in America. They are losing their benefits and health coverage. Governor Christie in New Jersey has waged a war on educators. He is in the process of ending tenure. NJ teachers have given up a lot and have gotten very little in return. He's even in the process of extending the school year. The drop out rate for first year teachers is very high. You do anything remotely wrong and they want to get rid of you. Veteran teachers are even warning people to stay away from teaching. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randy-turner/a-warning-to-young-people_b_3033304.html

Thanks for help.

haaaa....it's about time teacher got what should have come to them a long time ago...especially Spec Ed teachers....they are all the same ...exploit special needs kids based on the budgets. Don't bother with a re-reply....i got your number.....read the book many times....sick of the movie re-runs

American ignorance is a very very dangerous thing and thai ladies love it. Come on over....do whatever you want....in the end, you will learn what you should have researched in the beginning....keep researching this topic before you make a decision......

Unless......

You happen to find a thai lady with her OWN money and she is willing to support you while you get your crap together.

Perhaps you can try Ukraine women....they don't hate all americans and they do love the money just like thai ladies.

I don't want a woman to support me. Whenever I'm with my girlfriend she wants to do my wash, make the bed, and cook my meals. I tell her no most of the times. That might be fine for a 60+ year old man but not for me. I've been alone for a long time, and I've had to take care of myself. I do everything on my own.

*I'm from America (NJ)

Thanks for help.

haaaa....it's about time teacher got what should have come to them a long time ago...especially Spec Ed teachers....they are all the same ...exploit special needs kids based on the budgets. Don't bother with a re-reply....i got your number.....read the book many times....sick of the movie re-runs

lol... I haven't exploited anybody. I was only a classroom aide, so I wasn't in charge of budgeting. Anyway, the children I worked with most definitely needed special education services. I worked with a wide range of special needs children: LD, BD, ED, Autism.

Two wives?

Most Thai men have two or three wives.

What does not make sense in your story is that when you went back to the US you were asked to pay taxes for 2013. Under the foreign earned income exclusion any income earned abroad (up to 90+K) if you qualify for the exclusion, is not taxed in the US. Anyway, individual income tax rates are almost as high in Korea as they are in The US. I thought California was in dire need for teachers, but you may need to learn Spanish first (more useful than Thai)

Edited by Braddockrd

Unless......

I don't want a woman to support me. Whenever I'm with my girlfriend she wants to do my wash, make the bed, and cook my meals. I tell her no most of the times. That might be fine for a 60+ year old man but not for me. I've been alone for a long time, and I've had to take care of myself. I do everything on my own.

dude,

you are digging an even bigger hole for yourself, stopping her from doing the only things she can offer you.

she is in a nowhere job, and has no real future,

welcome to thailand,

and, did you say you actually like the weather there?

you clearly are crazy then,

I lived in s florida for 30 plus years, and thailand and bangkok in particular, is whay hotter, and grotesquely polluted, with no fresh water anywhere, and no clean water to swim in anywhere near bangkok

my advice?

go, for sure,

you have nothing keeping you in jersey, so why not, but,

have a vasectomy first, seriously, do it,

they all seem to want white babies,

they think it elevates them in soceity, which of course it doesnt, unless you are a girl and are tall and very pretty, and then, the best job that girl may find is being a hooker, although, there are also modeling jobs, which is just below hooker,

and before you jump on me, I lived with one while there, who was tall and pretty, so I learned quite a bit more about the landscape there than a guy like you ever will, and, I have a brooklynite buddy living there 15 years with a thai wife, who speaks fluent english, so I have more experience with thais than meets the green eye, or in this case, rose colored

what I dont understand is, why you are resistant to everything that has been said to you so far, which will quickly bore the TV crowd, who will write you off as another foolish american, soon to be looking for plane fare, back to the states,

with less than you have now

Thailand?

of all places!

you cannot even get into a taxi or a bus here without language skills,

the MRT is good though, but expect her to know every store, and when she finds out you are broke,

come back to us and tell us where she is at on her love meter for you

I intended to stay in Thailand for the rest of my life too,

when I got back to florida, and saw the clean place where I live, and walked along the beach and felt the water, and was able to drive my motorcycle without the risk of getting killed by an oncoming motorbike, or their horrible road and traffic systems there, I realized, I could never reproduce there, what I have here, and that is still how I feel.

just being able to walk outside barefoot on the grass is a luxury hard to find in thailand,

and, did anyone tell you about the barking dogs that will keep you up all night or wake you up early in the morning?

Edited by Scarpolo

Dear OP why don't you come to Thailand during your school holidays and have a good look around. Bangkok and Pattaya are the places where you stand to make most money. But even teaching at an International School will pay you less than $3k per month tops. Send an inquiry to Regents and Harrow schools. Regents Pattaya is separate from Regents Bangkok. If I didn't live in Thailand I'd live in Hong Kong, you can make money there.

You are 44. Apart from the 3 year stint and the 2 years on Korea, what have you done for the rest 15 years? Starting to save for retirement at 44 means you'll never retire. So better start a school for after hours tuition. Lots of Thais with lots of money wanting their kids to be better than the rest means lots of fools willing to part with their money. Otherwise open an international schools. Lots of foreigners also willing to part with their money (or company's money) and most int'l schools in Thailand are full. Raise some money. Schools are an amazing business in Thailand.

What does not make sense in your story is that when you went back to the US you were asked to pay taxes for 2013. Under the foreign earned income exclusion any income earned abroad (up to 90+K) if you qualify for the exclusion, is not taxed in the US. Anyway, individual income tax rates are almost as high in Korea as they are in The US. I thought California was in dire need for teachers, but you may need to learn Spanish first (more useful than Thai)

I didn't have to pay federal taxes. I was able to use the foreign income exclusion income abroad. I made under $90k

But this does not apply to New Jersey residents. Although I worked overseas I still need to pay NJ taxes, because it's the law. It sucks. I hate this damn place.

The median pay for a police officer is $90k. Superintendents make $130k The average tax rate on a family of four is $8k

We have a lot of middle class people who are leaving this state.

At your age (44) you are STARTING to save for retirement, then you will need to put away A LOT each month otherwise you will live longer than your money. I know it does not sound exciting but financially it will be difficult setting yourself up in Thailand to a decent standard AND SAVE FOR RETIREMENT on a teacher's salary. Financially you would be better off working where you get a decent wage... back home or in an international school in Thailand or elsewhere.

Emotionally, you may well love this lady and she you and you MAY end up having a happy ....... but poor life in Thailand. Unfortunately Thailand can be a place of broken dreams and broken men. For God's sake don't try and open a bar ...... absolutely the road to ruin. By and large my advice as far as a business is concerned.... don't invest more than you can walk away from but still get a good night's sleep ..... same as for when in Farangland.

Close to 2/3 of the population is female? The ratio is actually 0.98 male/female. You're the only clown on this thread as far as I can see. Directors, politicians, generals blah blah blah. You'll be telling us you were a navy seal in a past life next.

• Like 2

You are 44. Apart from the 3 year stint and the 2 years on Korea, what have you done for the rest 15 years? Starting to save for retirement at 44 means you'll never retire. So better start a school for after hours tuition. Lots of Thais with lots of money wanting their kids to be better than the rest means lots of fools willing to part with their money. Otherwise open an international schools. Lots of foreigners also willing to part with their money (or company's money) and most int'l schools in Thailand are full. Raise some money. Schools are an amazing business in Thailand.

I had a difficult time. I started college late in life. I was 28 when I started. I worked sh*t jobs. I pumped gas, worked midnight security, etc...

I tried working for the post office and I got hurt on the job. I had hernia surgery so they let me go.

I can't turn back time. I need to be proactive and think positive.

Anyway, they did studies on Americans and retirement. They found that a lot of people don't have enough to retire and are living paycheck to paycheck.

I have plenty of company.

I/3 of Americans only have $1,000 saved for retirement.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americans-only-have--1-000-saved-for-retirement-ebri-report-134741117.html

Edited by benj005
  • Like 1

I didn't have to pay federal taxes. I was able to use the foreign income exclusion income abroad. I made under $90k

But this does not apply to New Jersey residents. Although I worked overseas I still need to pay NJ taxes, because it's the law. It sucks. I hate this damn place.

The median pay for a police officer is $90k. Superintendents make $130k The average tax rate on a family of four is $8k

you did not make a case for taxes being too high with your examples.

You also did not plan your tax structure.

Tell us,

how many times have you been in love, and how many times were you with her, before she told you she loved you?

I had a difficult time. I started college late in life. I was 28 when I started. I worked sh*t jobs. I pumped gas, worked midnight security, etc...

I tried working for the post office and I got hurt on the job. I had hernia surgery so they let me go.

Anyway, they did studies on Americans and retirement. They found that a lot of people don't have enough to retire and are living paycheck to paycheck.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americans-only-have--1-000-saved-for-retirement-ebri-report-134741117.html

injured working for the US Postal Service, and did not get a medical retirement?

Close to 2/3 of the population is female? The ratio is actually 0.98 male/female. You're the only clown on this thread as far as I can see. Directors, politicians, generals blah blah blah. You'll be telling us you were a navy seal in a past life next.

Impossible to change your point of view but if you could actually talk to most bar girls, caddies etc (single moms) they will either tell you their husband was killed in a M/C crash or drunk himself to death or got another wife. So I could be wrong but I believe the % is well over 50% in favor of females. They also live a lot longer too.

• Like 1

Tell us,

how many times have you been in love, and how many times were you with her, before she told you she loved you?

I have only been in love one other time, and I was 22 at the time. I've screwed around a bit and I just kept to myself.

I know this is going to sound weird but we've been going out for over a year, and I've seen her for one month total. I saw her for one week, one week, and then 2 weeks.

I actually want to be with this girl before I make a discussion such as marriage. I know I said that I plan to marry this girl. I actually want to live with her first, and then we will take it from there. Also, I guess it's an age issue. Obviously, if I was 25 years old I would be thinking differently.

NJ residents pay the highest taxes in America. I don't need to prove it. Do some research and you'll find that I'm correct.

injured working for the US Postal Service, and did not get a medical retirement?

When I got injured they put me on desk duty. At the time I was not a regular employee, so I didn't have union protection. The post office was pissed because I made them pay for my surgery. After it was done I was told not to come back. I was going to Rowan University at the time, so it didn't bother me.

Special Ed. Degree is a good start it depend on each school since the degree is not a big issue here in Thailand. Better find a location to invest and open your own school, 80% of school owner make very good money here.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

my Wife and I own/ operate a small school here Nongrua/ Khon Kaen....120 kids 3-7 years old....around 180,000 bhat a month gross. Our over-head is very low...Teachers make 5000b a month x 8 = 40,000b in wages., food, electric, fuel for 2 vans= 30,000b month.

Thats just the expected costs each month.....leaves us with 110,000b a month....not alot for a 4 million bhat investment.[/quo

Within 3.5 years you'll get your investment return back and enjoy more and more profit, that's pretty dam good to me! I currently have three Thai restaurants in North Carolina; started with just one 30 years ago and now retired but the business still go on.

My profit will never increase....overhead is concrete. There are no payments school is debt free....the only way to increase profit is a tution increase...when you have nothing but poor farmers thats not going to happen....now if my school was in Khon Kaen tution is 40,000b a month verses my 1500b....I could get rich.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Unless......

Where are YOU from that makes you so intelligent?

Certainly YOUR home country doesn't produce ANY ignorant people whom the Thai ladies would love, hmmmmm?

Must be nice to be you.

• Like 1

Impossible to change your point of view but if you could actually talk to most bar girls, caddies etc (single moms) they will either tell you their husband was killed in a M/C crash or drunk himself to death or got another wife. So I could be wrong but I believe the % is well over 50% in favor of females. They also live a lot longer too.

Your source of information on Thai population figures is prostitutes? 'Nuff said.

Your going to meet a lot of women in Asia and many will all try to get you (and your assets) to go where they are, rather then relocate to where you are.

It's basically drawing support and money towards their family group, rather then away from it, and it is a kind of survival instinct.

When you start traveling around and being controlled by this it's not a good path in some cases. You have to look at what works for you in the long run. There are some guys that slowly burn all their bridges, like homes, jobs, savings or just being comfrotable going back to their home countries and can't rely on these in their older years when they are so needed.

Things tend to work out better if your doing what you have to do and taking care of business, and meet someone in that place and mindset, rather then sacrificing what you have built to go out searching for it.

• Like 1

Tell us,

I have only been in love one other time, and I was 22 at the time. I've screwed around a bit and I just kept to myself.

I know this is going to sound weird but we've been going out for over a year, and I've seen her for one month total. I saw her for one week, one week, and then 2 weeks.

I actually want to be with this girl before I make a discussion such as marriage. I know I said that I plan to marry this girl. I actually want to live with her first, and then we will take it from there. Also, I guess it's an age issue. Obviously, if I was 25 years old I would be thinking differently.

NJ residents pay the highest taxes in America. I don't need to prove it. Do some research and you'll find that I'm correct.

well, thats debatable, and NYC., Mass., and CA residents would argue, but,

TV has many posters, but I am not sure how many are Americans, and even then, how many are from the North East, so, I am giving this a go,

I have limited experience in Thailand, but it was an intense 6 months, and I didnt sit still, going to Ventianne Laos three times and Bali Indonesia for visa's, Chaing Mai twice and as far as the Golden Traingle, all by car and plane

the first thing you need to do is get your visa situation squared.

I cant tell you what to do there, it is up to you how to handle it

you have NOT been going out for a year,

you have a (vacation) girlfriend, you have seen 3 times, within a year

you need to live with her a few months, without getting her pregnant,

and then you will have an idea of who and what you have.

they hide things

they hide kids

they hide husbands

they hide old boyfriends that are still boyfriends,

they hide husbands as brothers.

i didnt encounger any of this. but this is what others have, and I believe them all

transportation?

I was a NYC taxi driver, and I refuse to drive in Thailand

so, she better have a car

and good a/c

does she own a home?

can you stay there?

how much will you have to pay?

it isnt free

can you eat their food?

will you?

I only shopped at gourmet and organic grocers, tough to find, but the product is there.

these are just a few things you will encounter.

I guess if you like rice and noodles its ok,

I dont.

find out about her family.

if they are close, and they usually are

find out how many brothers and what they do for a living,

and dont expect to be welcomed

by anyone in her family,

and keep an eye on the mother,

see what she is like, and voila,

you will see the future

Edited by Scarpolo