Thailand's environmental awareness - bags within bags

Jimjim1968

OP, they treat the environment as they treat their own houses.

Can't speak for the rest of Thailand but where I live in Issan kids and grownups have no idea of what a dustbin is.

Just throw everything on the floor.

May be they are concerned about feeding the ants and cockroaches.

they love animals....nothing wrong with that tongue.png

The litter you see is the smallest problem.....The chemical waste the factories dump into the sea is much worse.

I don't agree; the litter we see and can actually reduce easily without any excuses is most important in the beginning. And it alsomatters, not only waste that "big players" produce.
  • Like 1

It is a mental attitude,as i have stated many time before when a Thai drops a peice of litter for them it ceases to exist,what is needed is an education programme in schools on the television,billboards etc,in time things may change,or at least improve, but as there is no money in it for corrupt politicians i doubt it , i regularly pick up garbage from around my property,and told off two boys who bought ice creams and my wife's shop and threw the wrappers on the ground,they soon picked them up and put them in the bin right next to them,but the plastic bag well it's a horrible scourge a one baht for every bag would help,but i am afraid any revenue this creates would simply dissapear,yet Thai people love their country,but don't seem to understand they are turning it into a massive garbage tip, only education of the younger generation will solve this but sadly with all the other issue's the country faces i hold no great hope.

• Like 2

I have no idea what this whole thing about plastic bags is. Even when you just buy a small bottle of water, they'll try to give you two bags and a straw with it.

Every time I goto one of the stores or go grocery shopping, I just pack my duffel bag with me now, tell the clerk I don't want any bags, and I just throw my stuff into the duffel bag. I have about a 4 year supply here as is probably, so I'm good for plastic bags.

If you are upset with the Thais disregard for cleanliness...you will be shocked if you visit Cambodia...garbage everywhere...and it appears that the Cambodians are oblivious...

just got back from jomtien, every time i went out in the water i put whatever trash i saw floating by in my pocket and brought it back to shore. I easily filled up a garbage can. I don't care if it is Thai or Western, I agree with the OP, reducing plastic is such an easy thing to do. If every person in Thailand just used on less bag per week, that would save 400 million bags a year!

Can't speak for the rest of Thailand but where I live in Issan kids and grownups have no idea of what a dustbin is.

A dustbin in Thailand???????? (apart from 7-11s)

When did ants and cockroaches become animals?

I find the plastic bags useful and reuse them in waste paper bins throughout the house. None of them go to waste so they are all used twice.

If they didn't give them out with my shopping all the time I would go out and buy them.

• Like 2

I guess I'm the only one. My wife is a neat and clean freak. She gets home from working 12 hours and sweeps and mops. She says I don't do it to her satisfaction.

I do the dishes. If she finds a spec on a glass or plate she re washes it. We have 7 brooms and 4 mops and she uses them all.

Her family is the same way. They are not high society. Her father was a government employee and her mother made beer for the village.

I've never lived with a dirty Thai woman and I've lived with a few. Our homes have always been clean.

I feel for all you guys but didn't you know before you married them?

• Like 1

I guess I'm the only one. My wife is a neat and clean freak. She gets home from working 12 hours and sweeps and mops. She says I don't do it to her satisfaction.

I do the dishes. If she finds a spec on a glass or plate she re washes it. We have 7 brooms and 4 mops and she uses them all.

Her family is the same way. They are not high society. Her father was a government employee and her mother made beer for the village.

I've never lived with a dirty Thai woman and I've lived with a few. Our homes have always been clean.

I feel for all you guys but didn't you know before you married them?

Yep, homes are clean, clothes smell good and hair is like on commercials (everything nice except yard or street where we just throw all the garbage from window. Seen it as everyone of us; to the very own yard, or to the corridor of condominium. Three times a day room cleaning, and all the s*it just out of door or window. And there is the s*it, from napkins to food left overs, three times a day at least...)

• Like 1

To start to make a difference, and assuming you don't speak Thai, you could do something like this:

Assume that you're checking out at the grocery store and the cashier has just put your groceries into far too many plastic bags.

Then before you leave, and while still occupying the "space", start re-packing the groceries into the minimum amount of bags actually needed (often only one).

Then smile nicely to her/him and leave with your stuff, giving the extra plastic bags back to her/him to use for the next customer.

This may sound a bit cruel, but since they clearly had to do some extra work, the message will in fact take effect extra well. If to begin with, all "farangs" do this, then the cashier staff will eventually start packing less bags at least for farangs. Then you could convince/educate your gf/wifes to do the same etc. Well at least it is a start, better than nothing.

(Of course if you speak Thai, you should simply request beforehand how many (few) bags should be used.)

• Like 1

To start to make a difference, and assuming you don't speak Thai, you could do something like this:

Assume that you're checking out at the grocery store and the cashier has just put your groceries into far too many plastic bags.

Then before you leave, and while still occupying the "space", start re-packing the groceries into the minimum amount of bags actually needed (often only one).

Then smile nicely to her/him and leave with your stuff, giving the extra plastic bags back to her/him to use for the next customer.

This may sound a bit cruel, but since they clearly had to do some extra work, the message will in fact take effect extra well. If to begin with, all "farangs" do this, then the cashier staff will eventually start packing less bags at least for farangs. Then you could convince/educate your gf/wifes to do the same etc. Well at least it is a start, better than nothing.

(Of course if you speak Thai, you should simply request beforehand how many (few) bags should be used.)

Your assumptions are wrong.

You assume a measure of thinking and learning in process.

I have done what you mention many times, often when forgetting to bring another bag along and more often just taking 1 or 2 times out and carrying them out with no bag at all....however, on more than one occasions, the bag I have handed back was then simply thrown in the bin.

• Like 2

the burning of all that useless crap afterwards is what concerns me

as thai people dont care about environment or neighbourghs getting there cancerous smoke

they get rid of their trash and not their problem anymore

Most times when I go out on my bike I see someone tossing a plastic coffee cup onto the road. I want to beep and shake my fist, but I am very aware and scared of getting into any kind of arguement with a Thai.

Why don't you go back and complain about things in your country?

I agree with marko kok prong when he says that Thais love their country, or so they steadfastly believe and affirm. But one could question a Thai, and ask if they really do love their country.

It could be pointed out that if they really loved their country they would take pride in how it looks, and not treat it like a garbage dump. And it's not only that it's a ubiquitous eyesore, but it's also a danger to animals, whether on land or in the sea.

Your assumptions are wrong.

You assume a measure of thinking and learning in process.

I have done what you mention many times, often when forgetting to bring another bag along and more often just taking 1 or 2 times out and carrying them out with no bag at all....however, on more than one occasions, the bag I have handed back was then simply thrown in the bin.

Well, I guess I'm perhaps more optimistic about Thai people's learning abilities. In fact, I've already noticed some difference at my store, as some of the staff recognize me and use less bags. :-)

Things are starting to improve here. 7-11 is beginning a process to reduce plastic bag use. The schools are beginning to emphasis ecology. It is a matter of education. It takes time so in the meantime be patient, courteous and be a quiet, considerate (to the 7-11 employee as well) role model

Go to a science fair at any school and look at the number of environmental projects. It is a big thing. And it is true that most Thai women are much cleaner with their bodies and their homes than most of us farangs. I never showered 2 times a day until I married a Thai. Mind you I am from a very cold country where our motto is "there's no sweat in the North".

I just wish I could convince Thai politicians not to argue by insulting each other. Humour is much more effective. Did you hear that Sudhep and Yingluck went out for dinner last weekend? Things went very well until Sudhep ordered kapow lameduck and Yingluck said she preferred fuk somyong gai. Then guess what man in black showed up? Darth waiter! May the farce be with you. arghh...sorry about that. HAVE A NICE DAY! TIT

""Most times when I go out on my bike I see someone tossing a plastic coffee cup onto the road. I want to beep and shake my fist, but I am very aware and scared of getting into any kind of arguement with a Thai.""

Why don't you go back and complain about things in your country?

Mr.Mrs.Ms. Sirchai, I guess you are Thai. Right ?

The issue is not to critisise Thai people. It is about improving the Thai environment.

How can you expect Thailand to be a top tourist destination for the so called Quality Tourists when the country looks like a garbage disposal everywhere ?

Would you not be proud if Farangs from all over the world would praise Thailand for its cleanliness ?

I see many areas in Thailand are so clean. It can be done everywhere. Go to Singapore, go to Japan, go to HongKong, see how they can keep places clean.

Why don't you go back and teach your friends, children, family and all your country people about avoiding garbage ?

• Like 2

When did ants and cockroaches become animals?

https://www.google.com/search?q=are+insects+animals%3F&oq=are+insects+animals%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57.6497j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8