Is a re-entry permit necessary for mult entry non-imm O visa?

I'm confused and hope I can get some help clarifying a couple of things.

I have a one year non-immigrant, multiple entry O visa which I got back in the States. I got to Thailand on 22 Feb 2014, and my first 90 days are up on 22 May, and I plan to apply for a retirement extension. However, I am planning on leaving Thailand for a week from 25 Apr til 2 May. I have read on numerous websites that if I leave and want to come back to Thailand, I need a re-entry permit, which is what I applied for and received today. However, the woman at the immigration office told me (after they took my 1000 baht, processed the application and stamped my passport with a Non-Imm, single entry re-entry permit, good until 22 May) that I didn't really need a re-entry permit because I already have a multiple entry non-immigrant O visa, and that if I in fact use the re-entry permit when I return to Thailand on 2 May, then my non-immigrant O visa will no longer be valid. I asked if they would cancel the re-entry permit, and she said they couldn't do that. She told me that when I return I should tell the Thai border officials to disregard the re-entry permit and instead honor the original non-immigrant O visa, which will then remain valid.

Complicated??? I sure think so! Wow.

Just wondering if anybody out there can clarify this situation for me and give me some advice as to what I need to do to put things right and not lose my non-immigrant O visa, for crying out loud. (This whole drama took place at Chiang Mai immigration, btw).

With a non-O multiple entry visa you can enter Thailand unlimited times during the 1 year validity. each time you enter you can stay for up to 90 days.

If you do not want to leave Thailand after 90 days, you can get an extension of stay (if you qualify) and stay longer. if you want to leave during that longer period you can use a re-entry permit to keep the extension of stay alive.

In your case you didn't need a re-entry permit. it only keeps your current permission to stay alive. So when you return on the re-entry permit you keep your stay until 22 May. It does not invalidates your non-O visa.

The key is when do you plan to apply for retirement extension? If you use visa for return you will get a new 90 day stay and will have to wait 60 days to apply. If you use re-entry permit you will keep your current permitted to stay date and can immediately apply.

But as you paid for a multi entry visa you may as well use that until you actually want to extend if you are planning travel every 90 days or less as no re-entry permits will be required.

If you got your 1 Year Non Immigrant O Visda in the USA or anywhere abroad,you dont need a re entry permit,but you must leave the country every 90 days or before and when youre coming back to Thailand,you will get another 90 days of stay.

Only if you got your Non O Visa in Thailand,then you neeed a single or multiple re entry permit and must pay for it.

If you got your 1 Year Non Immigrant O Visda in the USA or anywhere abroad,you dont need a re entry permit,but you must leave the country every 90 days or before and when youre coming back to Thailand,you will get another 90 days of stay.

Only if you got your Non O Visa in Thailand,then you neeed a single or multiple re entry permit and must pay for it.

I don't think he can get a non-o visa in Thailand.

Maybe you talk about the extension of stay?

Edited by larsjohnsson

I also initially had problems with a 15 month Multi Entry Visa not being recognized as after the first renewal of my one year Retirement Visa, Immigration neglected to advise that the renewal cancelled all existing current visas, (Including the three months remaining on the Multi entry) thus I left the country and was detained for hours on arriving back for not having a Re-Entry Visa current even though the date on the existing one showed three months remained.

Admittance by way of graft was suggested, a loud voice in front of a few hundred tourists, etc. waiting Immigration passage, was cheaper. Scary though.

I belive your visa was a one year visa. And not 15 month. When you get your extension of stay, you can't use your old visa at the same time.

FYI A 12month mulit Non o visa can but used for 15month just before the end of the visa if you do a boarder run you will be given another 90days therefore the visa will be 15months.

Yes but the visa is one year. And the visa can't be used more than one year. But if you arrive within that time you can stay 90 days.

But it's a one year visa, not 15 month.

Just like the OA visa is a one year visa. But you can stay nearly two years

Edited by larsjohnsson

Yes but the visa is one year. And the visa can't be used more than one year. But if you arrive within that time you can stay 90 days.

correct what I am saying it can be made to stretch to 15 the visa is finished after 12month but you get an extra permission to stay and I think this is what the guy means, he should be using the correct terminology it make life easy then.

correct what I am saying it can be made to stretch to 15 the visa is finished after 12month but you get an extra permission to stay and I think this is what the guy means, he should be using the correct terminology it make life easy then.

Excuse me hijacking this thread but I have a somewhat related question, that some here may be able to answer....

A friend of mine has an overseas obtained OA retirement visa, which in theorey (as mentioned earlier in this thread) can be used to give almost 2 years of stay.

Problem is, he has made plans to be on vacation outside of Thailand on the date that the OA visa expires, so he would be unable to use it again on his return.

I advised him to make a "border run" a week or so before he leaves for his vacation - which will give him a further one year permission to stay, and then get a re-entry permit before he takes his vacation to keep his "one year" permission to stay.

He is then planning on extending his OA in Thailand on the basis of retirement towards the end of his "one year" permission to stay.

Can you confirm if my advice is correct? Thanks in advance.

Excuse me hijacking this thread but I have a somewhat related question, that some here may be able to answer....

A friend of mine has an overseas obtained OA retirement visa, which in theorey (as mentioned earlier in this thread) can be used to give almost 2 years of stay.

Problem is, he has made plans to be on vacation outside of Thailand on the date that the OA visa expires, so he would be unable to use it again on his return.

I advised him to make a "border run" a week or so before he leaves for his vacation - which will give him a further one year permission to stay, and then get a re-entry permit before he takes his vacation to keep his "one year" permission to stay.

He is then planning on extending his OA in Thailand on the basis of retirement towards the end of his "one year" permission to stay.

sounds like a plan.

It is correct.

If he did not get a re-entry permit he would only get a 30 day exempt entry when he returns after his visa expires.

Thanks guys.. I like to think I'm giving correct advice..

edit: Ubonjoe - his main concern was that it it would be a lot more hassle to (eventually) get his "in-country" 12 month extension for retirment, if his original OA was expired.

Edited by steve73