UK visit visa

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers, just wondering as we've been waiting about 2 weeks now.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Done 3 lately and all around 15 working days, we've had several holidays in the past few weeks so might be a little more right now.

• Like 1

My lady been waiting since 10 April and still no e mail this is only for a visit visa. Yes many holidays but the time its taking is frustrating. She is going to Bangkok tomorrow to try and find out what the delay is. We are due to fly back to the UK together on Tuesday.

• Like 1

My lady been waiting since 10 April and still no e mail this is only for a visit visa. Yes many holidays but the time its taking is frustrating. She is going to Bangkok tomorrow to try and find out what the delay is. We are due to fly back to the UK together on Tuesday.

Good luck, please let us know how she gets on. I will certainly report here when we know anything.

Sorry for late reply. Application was made on 27 march and approved on 11 April we got the passport back around 15-16 April.

Currently in the UK - missus travelled alone with no problem.

Good luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Hi guys thanks for your support. My lady went to VFS at Trendy building and was allowed in. Her application was ready even though we received no notification e mail. Her visa was refused on the basis that she has not allowed enough time to elapse I e stayed in Thailand 6 months before applying again. We allowed only 4 months, we wanted to visit the UK for 4 months and then back to Thailand for 7 months, I have a house in both countries. Today I am travelling back to the UK alone as I have to go to Germany for my sons Stag party on Friday, I managed to cancel my ladies flight for a £25 cost. Booked to come back to Thailand on Monday, expensive refusal this one. Today I spoke to Darren in Key Visa and was advised to apply in Mid July when 6 months has elapsed.

Two things though has really made me angry. (1) The application was returned with many missing papers. My bank staements, copies of passport and copy of my house council tax were all missing. (2) The reason for refusal stated "as you have stayed in the UK for 5 months already". This was totally wrong as we only stayed 4 months. I don't think it affected the outcome but they should get there facts right.

Hi guys thanks for your support. My lady went to VFS at Trendy building and was allowed in. Her application was ready even though we received no notification e mail. Her visa was refused on the basis that she has not allowed enough time to elapse I e stayed in Thailand 6 months before applying again. We allowed only 4 months, we wanted to visit the UK for 4 months and then back to Thailand for 7 months, I have a house in both countries. Today I am travelling back to the UK alone as I have to go to Germany for my sons Stag party on Friday, I managed to cancel my ladies flight for a £25 cost. Booked to come back to Thailand on Monday, expensive refusal this one. Today I spoke to Darren in Key Visa and was advised to apply in Mid July when 6 months has elapsed.

Two things though has really made me angry. (1) The application was returned with many missing papers. My bank staements, copies of passport and copy of my house council tax were all missing. (2) The reason for refusal stated "as you have stayed in the UK for 5 months already". This was totally wrong as we only stayed 4 months. I don't think it affected the outcome but they should get there facts right.

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for letting us know. Best of luck for the next one.

@Jimn, there is no rule that says that you must stay in Thailand for six months before applying for a further visa. There is

however a convention that says that normally you should only spend up to six months in the UK in a twelve month

period.

If your agent is advising you to reapply in July your wife could still fall foul of this convention and be refused again.

Regarding your papers I would complain to the UKVI and ask for your originals to be returned, providing of course you that you did submit copies, I might also be inclined to advise them that their response was flawed.

• Like 1

Yes I was too of the belief it was just 6 months out of 12. My question though is this determined by the 6 month visa given or the actual length of stay in the UK?

Also, and this is just a thought, is it worth applying for a longer visitors visa and using the confusion around the process at the thai end as a reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It's the actual length of stay in the UK.

To get a longer term visa you must show a reason to need to be in the UK on a regular basis, the six month in twelve rule still applies.

ECO's will be looking out for people who stay for long periods on tourist visas in an attempt to circumnavigate the settlement route.

Maybe I didn't explain correctly.

We were in the UK from 17/9/13 - 14/01/14 (4 months). We have been in Thailand since then. On 10/4/14 we applied to go to UK again for 4 months. The refusal stated that if they granted the visa then my wife would have een in the UK for 8 months out of 12. I was not aware that it was limited to 6 months in a rolling 12 month period.

So following on from this logic if we apply after 14/07/14 and ask for 4 month in the UK i.e from 14/7/14 to 14/11/14 then my wife would only have spent 6 months in the UK on a rolling 12 month basis. 14/11/13 to 14/01/14 (2 months part of last visit) and 14/7/17 to 14/11/14 (4 months).

So from 14/11/13 to 14/11/14 she would have spent 6 months in the UK.

theoldgit, does this make sense I think I am right and that the advise my agent gave me was correct. If you disagree I,d like your thoughts on why

Cheers

Jim

...I think I am right and that the advise my agent gave me was correct.

Agents do not have a say on the outcome of visa/settlement applications, jimn.

It matters little whether you're accompanying your girlfriend on each leg. It's your girlfriend's application alone.

Tacitly, UKBA are inviting your girlfriend to come live permanently in the UK if she fulfils the criterion for such extended stay. Up to you but don't wind them up.

Yes, your calculations seem correct, but your agent should have advised you that a visit visa is just that, for somebody intending to visit the UK for a holiday, I really don't know if a later application would succeed.

The ECO could be forgiven for thinking that your girlfriend was intending to use the visitor route to circumnavigate the settlement route. Four months is one heck of a long holiday.

The trouble is that there doesn't seem to be a visa suitable for those who intend spending half of the year in the UK and the other half in Thailand.

Yes, your calculations seem correct, but your agent should have advised you that a visit visa is just that, for somebody intending to visit the UK for a holiday, I really don't know if a later application would succeed.

The ECO could be forgiven for thinking that your girlfriend was intending to use the visitor route to circumnavigate the settlement route. Four months is one heck of a long holiday.

The trouble is that there doesn't seem to be a visa suitable for those who intend spending half of the year in the UK and the other half in Thailand.

Thanks for the reply. You have summed up perfectly my situation. I am retired I want to be able to live with my wife when and where I want. Now I know that is not possible due to visa limitations.

As I have a house in the UK and Thailand and I have retired early. I am hoping to spend 7 months in Thailand on my Retirement visa and 5 months in the UK with my wife. I am not trying to circumvent the Settlement route because we don't want to live in the UK permanently. In the above criteria my wife would not qualify for one anyway.

As you said there is no visa suitable for those who intend spending half of the year in the UK and the other half in Thailand. In our next application I will somehow have to make it clear in my sponsors letter and apologise for unknowingly appearing to try and break the rules.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. You have summed up perfectly my situation. I am retired I want to be able to live with my wife when and where I want. Now I know that is not possible due to visa limitations.

As I have a house in the UK and Thailand and I have retired early. I am hoping to spend 7 months in Thailand on my Retirement visa and 5 months in the UK with my wife. I am not trying to circumvent the Settlement route because we don't want to live in the UK permanently. In the above criteria my wife would not qualify for one anyway.

As you said there is no visa suitable for those who intend spending half of the year in the UK and the other half in Thailand. In our next application I will somehow have to make it clear in my sponsors letter and apologise for unknowingly appearing to try and break the rules.

Cheers

Jim

I feel yourpain as we are in the same situation. There really is no middle ground, they see you as a holidaymaker for a couple of weeks or you want to live there permanently. Pathetic really.

Edited by TexasRanger

Trevstar, why the 4-5 day delay between approval and getting the passport back?<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

@jimn, have you tried ringing the paid helpline?

I'm not sure that VFS will be able to advise her, and she will not get into the Visa Section.

What's the paid helpline? Tomorrow will be the 15th working day since our application, so I'll be getting nervous if there's no email tomorrow. I didn't know there was a helpline. Is it on the VFS website?

Hi Jim,

we are in pretty much the same situation, and have been for some years. Have house here and back there, and do not want to go the settlement route. We have had 3 Visitors visa granted (in 4 years, 1 year off for house build.)

We have found it works to apply at the same time every year exactly to comply with this 6 months rule. It means some separation time for us but then we do get the visa. I do not use agents and always provide a full application as if it was the first time each time. I include itinerary , letters from family members expressing the wish to see their in-law again, wifes' ability to support herself, (x £££'s for Y months, I usually use 1k per month.)

Reason to return: property here and family ties in Thailand and I express clearly that we do not want to go the settlement route but spend time in each country until I am fully retired.

VFS now tell my wife not to provide such a full folder of documentation as we "will get visa for sure" . I say nonsense, they are just an agency and it is the clearance officer at the embassy who decides and a well laid out folder with every base covered, a covering letter from me, the sponsor, and keeping the 6 month rule, however much it inconveniences us, seems to work.

On a lighter note it means the Mrs is in the UK from June onwards most years, so the cold is not a factor until October/November. We also forget to ask them to forward date the visa to the date we actually want her to travel, so when we get the passport back from VFS, the visa is already running and we lose a couple of weeks. I will try to do that right if they let us next time.

Good luck,

PP

edit: spelling

Edited by prestburypark

Just finished my wifes visa in 15 WORKING days.

Great during visaka and other various holidays.

So what day did you submit your application? Ours went in to VFS on 23rd April and we still haven't heard anything. Were there a lot of holidays?

So what day did you submit your application? Ours went in to VFS on 23rd April and we still haven't heard anything. Were there a lot of holidays?

Um. We got the notification last Thursday and passport was delivered on Saturday. But lots of days off in between.

Email was 24th April for submission. Don't get too excited, you won't get any message to say whether it's granted. U won't know that until you look in the passport.

It was a little fraught because we had had a problem with a settlement visa recently, but this tourist visa was granter easily.

I have a theory that the govt wanted to keep the immigration numbers low for the last 6 months to combat UKIP.

Now the brakes might be released a little.

Um. We got the notification last Thursday and passport was delivered on Saturday. But lots of days off in between.

Email was 24th April for submission. Don't get too excited, you won't get any message to say whether it's granted. U won't know that until you look in the passport.

It was a little fraught because we had had a problem with a settlement visa recently, but this tourist visa was granter easily.

I have a theory that the govt wanted to keep the immigration numbers low for the last 6 months to combat UKIP.

Now the brakes might be released a little.

OK, we got the email that said it was received by the decision making guys on 24th April. Fingers crossed it won't be too much longer.

Hi Jim,

we are in pretty much the same situation, and have been for some years. Have house here and back there, and do not want to go the settlement route. We have had 3 Visitors visa granted (in 4 years, 1 year off for house build.)

We have found it works to apply at the same time every year exactly to comply with this 6 months rule. It means some separation time for us but then we do get the visa. I do not use agents and always provide a full application as if it was the first time each time. I include itinerary , letters from family members expressing the wish to see their in-law again, wifes' ability to support herself, (x £££'s for Y months, I usually use 1k per month.)

Reason to return: property here and family ties in Thailand and I express clearly that we do not want to go the settlement route but spend time in each country until I am fully retired.

VFS now tell my wife not to provide such a full folder of documentation as we "will get visa for sure" . I say nonsense, they are just an agency and it is the clearance officer at the embassy who decides and a well laid out folder with every base covered, a covering letter from me, the sponsor, and keeping the 6 month rule, however much it inconveniences us, seems to work.

On a lighter note it means the Mrs is in the UK from June onwards most years, so the cold is not a factor until October/November. We also forget to ask them to forward date the visa to the date we actually want her to travel, so when we get the passport back from VFS, the visa is already running and we lose a couple of weeks. I will try to do that right if they let us next time.

Good luck,

PP

edit: spelling

Hi PP, You seem to understand my situation perfectly. The difference being is that I am retired and I live with my wife all of the time. Its just that we want to spend some time at our homes in Thailand (7 months) and England (5 months). I have married my lady in the village but not done the legal part yet. Now I know the "rule" about maximum 6 months in the UK, I will structure our applications more accurately. This will be once a year like you but for 5 months just to give us a little leeway. As my wife's visa was refused last week due to the 6 month rule I have had to come back to the UK alone for a week to be with my son on his STAG party. Heading back to Thailand Monday and stay with my wife for the next 2 months until hopefully the 6 month conditions will be met. We only intend to ask for a stay of 3.5 months, this should get us back on track. Thanks for all the comments and understanding

Cheers

Jim

Edited by theoldgit
Quote fixed