Grass Finished Beef and local, organic and seasonal produce In Chiang Mai

Fatboi

It can be done but ,you will need some experience of cattle and ,and define ''organic''.

Growing grass in is not easy ,normally a short growing season ,depending on the rain fall, and grass veriety ,and breed of cattle .

Being in CM will help being a bit cooler than me in the central plains, some of the time, for grass seed you can look for your local DLD office[on line], Department of livestock Development, all provinces have one for grass seed, and lots of veriety.

Or as I have done look at Ubon forage seed Google them, they sell some good quality grass seed ,that will grow, and like the DLD will send an order though the post.

Or you could grow Napier/elephant grass, grows like sugar cane, it is a cut and cart grass for a small area a good high yielding grass , also as we do, it makes good silage ,kept back for the dry season ,but it is labour intensive. Look at TV grass seed thread there is a link to some information on Napier grass. or FAO.

Cattle breeds ,the local breeds only will not fatten ,as we know ,if they are long eared Indo Brazil or any form Indo Brazil cross, forget it they will not fatten ,you need something like Brangus ,that is Angus cross Brahman, will fatten ,and can tolerate the heat and have some tick resistance, or Charolaise cross Brahman, that is where cattle experience come in ,anything with Brahman will take a lot of handling , you will also need some form of handling equipment ,not the Thai way a length of rope trying to be John Wayne, and tie them to a tree, and a decent shed to rear them in .

As for organic , grass will need some fertilizer, cattle will need some drugs, esp for worms and ticks. if you feed rice straw in the dry season ,hardly organic.

Have you got a market to sell the fat cattle? if you are not in a cattle area could be difficult finding a buyer .

If you think you can do it the UK/USA way of putting a herd of cattle in a grass field in May ,when the rain comes. then take them out in September ,fat forget it, will not work .as I said it can be done ,but you will have to do some homework and find a lot of land.

Yours Regs.

KS.

Gai Baan. The farmyard chickens. Left to their own devices and feed themselves off local fauna. Respectfully killed? Mostly they are hung for a few minutes with their wings crossed over, or decapitated if you want the blood out.

Decent Aussie beef at Rimping....at a price.
Regards.

Edited by teletiger

Where do you live? Look for a local farmer or the fresh market. I live i Isaan and buy from a local shop that raises cattle. Their cattle roam free after the rice reason. During the growing season of rice they are held in a small lot but provided enough room to move round and eat grass, alfalfa whatever they can get locally to feed them. I knot this shop does not use any chemicals. So just look around and ask questions from the locals.