Vendor Killed By Drunk-Driving MBK Manager

Lite Beer

What a sad sad story. ......I hope I never again forget when I see a street vendor that more than lightly they are supporting a family somewhere like the victim Mr. Somchai in this incident.

One can only admire this man...20 years working at a job that had him exhausted in order to take care of his disabled brother.

I would sincerely hope were I in his shoes that I would have the same unselfishness and fortitude that this man had, .what an example to us all.......................May he Rest in Peace.

• Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R.I.P Mr Khamphiophan.

He's not going to Singapore. He doesn't come anywhere near the wealth of the Red Bull family and he didn't drag a cop 200 meters in a pricier car.

BTW, to the poster, Amerasian? who said 'this will haunt him for the rest of his life' You're kidding right? You forget where you are. A visiting friend ran into the back of an unlit SUV and fortunately somersaulted over it on his bike. He showed me the photo he'd taken with his 'phone of the owner arriving and wiping off a spot on it. He didn't even bother to go see if my friend was okay. He was, fortunately, his name's Kat smile.png

Edited by jpeg

Seems most things have been covered, but i can only speak as i find, and from all the Thai's that i've met, its more common and seems socially acceptable to drink and drive than to not. Some may disagree, but I REITERATE it's only as i find.

That's what I've seen as well. It's against the law and religion but neither seem to stop it or for that matter appear interested in stopping it. It's morally wrong as well of course and causes grief and hardship.

Well it may seem like I'm being insensitive. Bt the bottom line this is not in a western world, Or culture, the damage is done to both parties. And it was avoidable. But in a Buddhist society the vendor was given new life while the driver will surly be reborn as some lesser animal.

Dot forget where you are and western culture is not the best culture on the planet in my opinion. Judgement will come from above in this culture. Not from mortals. Forgiveness will set you free, revenge will kill both parties....and damage many lives ....so better let the past be the past and settle things quickly. None of us gets out alive.....:)

His insurance company will pay for all damages up to the insured amount. And maybe some other restitution will be paid. And that will be the end of it.

Really the way it should be I think. This man will never forget this, and it will haunt him. Forever. No sense and damaging more lives by dragging it out. Like some places in the world. Past is past.

As you say, the driver and his insurance company will simply pay the drunk driver's way out of this - He'll be back on the road again in not time. Which would not happen in some places in the world where you pay for the mistakes of your past.

Lovely photo of you and your family in your avtar.

Stay safe and pray you never have to face a meagre payout as compensation for the irreplaceable.

• Like 1

A female relative of Mr. Chaidole later arrived at the police station and expressed her willingness to pay any compensation to Ms. Yaowalak. She also asked the reporters not to photograph Mr. Chaidole, explaining that she does not want the incident to make it to the news as she is a high-ranking military officer.

Do I detect a bit of Hi-So here? Totally disgusting. I hope it is on every television station news report and in every newspaper front page.

Not necessarily anything to do with hiso, but more to do with face.

Most military officers are by definition not hiso regardless of seniority.

Well it may seem like I'm being insensitive. Bt the bottom line this is not in a western world, Or culture, the damage is done to both parties. And it was avoidable. But in a Buddhist society the vendor was given new life while the driver will surly be reborn as some lesser animal.

Dot forget where you are and western culture is not the best culture on the planet in my opinion. Judgement will come from above in this culture. Not from mortals. Forgiveness will set you free, revenge will kill both parties....and damage many lives ....so better let the past be the past and settle things quickly. None of us gets out alive.....smile.png

You sure do have an uncommon take on life. If I ever go stark raving mad, enter a shopping mall and kill forty or fifty people I sure hope you are the court judge.

• Like 1

Room for one more in Singapore.

If you've got the money there always is.

Wouldn't Singapore refuse entry to a foreigner who's just recklessly killed another person while driving drunk?! It's not like Singaporeans don't read the news.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif This is an attempt at satirical humor, right?

Very easy to get high and mighty here when judging Chaidole. I sure would like to say "hang the Idiot by his cajones." But Ya know...The number of times that I have driven soused to the gills, it beats all odds that I have not done serious damage to someone. I am certain that applies to a lot of us.

I only hope that they don't care what kind of car he was driving or who he was. He killed some poor person, thats the end of it. Throw the book at him

Believe me this will just fade away, hi so well moneyed, nothing will happen to him. Please let us know if it does.

This isn't to say that anyone with money should be able to buy themselves out of drunk driving and murder but one has to wonder how all those responding to this topic would act if they were in his shoes, demand a prison sentence?... Nah, probably offer up as much money as they can and beg for forgiveness I bet because deep in their heart you know you are a good person unlike the other drunk drivers and it is in the past, what is done is done, right?...

One thing I don't understand about Thailand is how civil and criminal matters are merged into one court case. In the US, compensation for the death of an individual would be matter for a civil court while criminal charges would be handled separately. Taking responsibility for one's actions is laudable but it still does not excuse a criminal act.

It is because being a police officer/judge is an entrepreneurial profession in Thailand.

This isn't to say that anyone with money should be able to buy themselves out of drunk driving and murder but one has to wonder how all those responding to this topic would act if they were in his shoes, demand a prison sentence?... Nah, probably offer up as much money as they can and beg for forgiveness I bet because deep in their heart you know you are a good person unlike the other drunk drivers and it is in the past, what is done is done, right?...

Maybe some of us don't get drunk and then drive so have no idea how we'd act.

Very easy to get high and mighty here when judging Chaidole. I sure would like to say "hang the Idiot by his cajones." But Ya know...The number of times that I have driven soused to the gills, it beats all odds that I have not done serious damage to someone. I am certain that applies to a lot of us.

It's certainly easy for those of us who aren't as irresponsible as you and him.

I get the impression from some posts on here that people who get drunk and then drive think we all do it.

Edited by kimamey

It's certainly easy for those of us who aren't as irresponsible as you and him.

I get the impression from some posts on here that people who get drunk and then drive think we all do it.

With all the roadblocks in BKK, and as seriously as they seem to take DUI,

there should be a social media campaign to see that justice is served

His insurance company will pay for all damages up to the insured amount. And maybe some other restitution will be paid. And that will be the end of it.

Really the way it should be I think. This man will never forget this, and it will haunt him. Forever. No sense and damaging more lives by dragging it out. Like some places in the world. Past is past.

So let me get this straight. If I am drunk and run over your mother, as long as the insurance company pays out and I give you some cash you would be happy right. All's well that ends well. No sense damaging my life just because I was drunk and ran over your mother. Or have I misinterpreted your post?
No, no, you misunderstand. He meant that if he runs over your mum, paying compensation should be enough and the end of it. If you run over his mum, you should be sentenced to life in prison of course.

It's always easy to ask others to be lenient and forgiving. Talk is cheap.

Edited by BestBitterPhuket