Gas explosion at Royal Thai Air Force safety demo injuries more than 40 people

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While a serious safety mistake took place I personally find it more telling the number of posters through either ignorance or insecurity believe these things only happen in Thailand. If anyone reads news from other parts of the world, including the most developed nations, they will see mistakes (many much worse) similar to this happen everywhere. Personally I think most comments are based on feelings of insecurity for those who personal reasons spend their time trying to feel superior to Thais rather than feeling a part of the country they have chose to be. Lets face, even earlier in this thread there is a video of a US DEA agent shooting himself in a school classroom during a safety speech but the "only in Thailand" posts continue.

Only in Thailand and the USA then - it doesn't happen in the UK.

Guess again... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/weirdnewsvideo/8876554/Health-and-safety-officer-falls-off-ladder.html

And there were others....

Impressive!!! Looks like he was fighting for his life after that catastrophe. I admit, that is a very similar incident to the US attempted rescue at Entebbe when a helicopter collided with a transporter plane.

I have tried to contact the hospital to see if this worker is OK but have failed so far. Anyway my thoughts are with his family, that must have been at least a metre and a half fall into shrubbery I just can't get the visualisation of the terror he must have felt out of my mind!!!

While a serious safety mistake took place I personally find it more telling the number of posters through either ignorance or insecurity believe these things only happen in Thailand. If anyone reads news from other parts of the world, including the most developed nations, they will see mistakes (many much worse) similar to this happen everywhere. Personally I think most comments are based on feelings of insecurity for those who personal reasons spend their time trying to feel superior to Thais rather than feeling a part of the country they have chose to be. Lets face, even earlier in this thread there is a video of a US DEA agent shooting himself in a school classroom during a safety speech but the "only in Thailand" posts continue.

It does, although not in this manner. Every year in western countries, hundreds of injuries are recorded during training and live fore exercises. I am not making excuses for the Thailand incident because it was apparently gross negligence. I just hope that the Royal Thai Airforce who are running Thai Airways did not undergo similar training in health and safety.

• Like 1

It does, although not in this manner. Every year in western countries, hundreds of injuries are recorded during training and live fore exercises. I am not making excuses for the Thailand incident because it was apparently gross negligence. I just hope that the Royal Thai Airforce who are running Thai Airways did not undergo similar training in health and safety.

Agree, no good excuses for these types of things here or anywhere else but just gets old (actually sad) seeing the same old ignorant and racist comments. And if people don't think they are racist then they should just try reading what they write and replace the word "Thais" with "blacks" and see how they sound.

Boneheaded people everywhere and of all levels of society and while probably not the best thing for our souls, make fun of them as individuals or make superior comments as if we never are boneheaded but to condemn an entire people because some of those people do stupid and wrong things is just plain and simply ignorant and is very telling of the person doing it. Many times I know it is done in jest but when you read a thread like this with so many "only in Thailand" or "Thais only care about ... " then all you really have is a thread and/or forum for racists to gather and spread their hate and self insecurity.

I can only assume (hope) this is not the goal of Thaivisa especially given the wealth of information on this forum as a whole that is beneficial to people.

PS. The internet is full of stories with tear gas being accidentally discharged by some of the best trained military and police forces in the world just as there is accidental shootings by these same people or fires getting out of control during safety training. Even in the US, we had a VP shoot a friend in the face by accident .... of course the friend apologized. Can only imagine the comments this would would have brought against all Thais had it happened here.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 2

Flt Sgt Somchai...............Sir we don't have any empty tear gas cylinders.

Wing Cmdr Hi-so ............Well just use a live one stupid, they will never know.

Sir!..........boom.

Edited by oldsailor35

The point is John, that many of us here have served in the military in our own countries, where safety with weapons etc., is paramount, and we all know that this kind of stupid irresponsible practice would never been allowed to happen. Its not really a case of Thai bashing, but our training makes us shudder when we hear of such accidents. sad.png

However this reminds me, never to go to an airshow where the RTAF are flying and showing off their bombers. thumbsup.gif

You obviously didn't here the one about the factory or hotel that burnt down but the fire escapes were locked.

Yes because even in more developed nations fire doors never get locked -- if we ignore even recent incidents like http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/nation/emergency-exit-doors-remain-locked-during-fire-alarm-scare

Point being is that these things shouldn't happen but they do and always will everywhere and it doesn't take a genius to know that in less developed nations they will happen more. For God's sake you have people here graduating university making $500 a month on average which is about about 1/3 to 1/4 of what fast food workers make in the US. Again, what is the point of making jokes and continually pointing out that a handicapped runner doesn't do as well in a race against an Olympic runner and ignoring the fact that even the Olympic runner falls downs, make mistakes and loses sometimes? Just seems a strange thing to constantly feel a need to do ... and I am not saying you personally but the over all theme of replies each time there is a tragedy or accident in Thailand or officials are boneheaded ... none of these things are unique to Thailand.

Thing is, that would probably been against the law and would have attracted some big fines, even closure. Had it been in Thailand it would not have bothered anybody, least of all the owners. Remember the nightclub fire in Bangkok where the doors were locked. The band got the blame for letting off fireworks but the management and owners were not even charged, not their fault.

The point is John, that many of us here have served in the military in our own countries, where safety with weapons etc., is paramount, and we all know that this kind of stupid irresponsible practice would never been allowed to happen. Its not really a case of Thai bashing, but our training makes us shudder when we hear of such accidents. sad.png

However this reminds me, never to go to an airshow where the RTAF are flying and showing off their bombers. thumbsup.gif

Having served in an Arm and worked Correctional Institutions I would have to say my experience would indicate that stupidity is an international phoneme.

As far as this story goes the biggest cockup and explosion would appear to be the reporting of the event.

As for the quality and effectiveness of the training I would guess that even the bone heads there will NEVER touch any thing suspicious - which surely would have had to have been the most important message cheesy.gif

• Like 1

You obviously didn't here the one about the factory or hotel that burnt down but the fire escapes were locked.

Yes because even in more developed nations fire doors never get locked -- if we ignore even recent incidents like http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/nation/emergency-exit-doors-remain-locked-during-fire-alarm-scare

Point being is that these things shouldn't happen but they do and always will everywhere and it doesn't take a genius to know that in less developed nations they will happen more. For God's sake you have people here graduating university making $500 a month on average which is about about 1/3 to 1/4 of what fast food workers make in the US. Again, what is the point of making jokes and continually pointing out that a handicapped runner doesn't do as well in a race against an Olympic runner and ignoring the fact that even the Olympic runner falls downs, make mistakes and loses sometimes? Just seems a strange thing to constantly feel a need to do ... and I am not saying you personally but the over all theme of replies each time there is a tragedy or accident in Thailand or officials are boneheaded ... none of these things are unique to Thailand.

Thing is, that would probably been against the law and would have attracted some big fines, even closure. Had it been in Thailand it would not have bothered anybody, least of all the owners. Remember the nightclub fire in Bangkok where the doors were locked. The band got the blame for letting off fireworks but the management and owners were not even charged, not their fault.

Sad the length some people will go to justify racist views. One incident (or 10,000) of an illegal club and a fire that you are stating the facts wrong about (band was not blamed, door not locked and owner was sent to jail...) certainly does not represent all Thai people just as your post doesn't represent the ignorance of all posters here about facts.

Having served in an Arm and worked Correctional Institutions I would have to say my experience would indicate that stupidity is an international phoneme.

As far as this story goes the biggest cockup and explosion would appear to be the reporting of the event.

As for the quality and effectiveness of the training I would guess that even the bone heads there will NEVER touch any thing suspicious - which surely would have had to have been the most important message cheesy.gif

It could never happen in Israel, one of the best trained military in the world, because there they just call it an equipment malfunction wink.png ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2556140/Israeli-soldiers-left-red-faced-red-eyed-tear-gas-cannisters-explode-military-vehicle.html (Feb. 2014)

264623.jpg

Amazing safety demonstration, only in Amazing Thailand where no-one dare say anything bad for fear of defamation. Amazing.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Reminds me of a similar demonstration of fire fighting technique given by the skipper of the local volunteer bush fire brigade at the town fair where we lived in Aus years ago. Singed a few of the on-lookers. To this day he's nick-named Captain Charcoal. :D