How Many Of You Living In Thailand Wore Yellow Today?

camerata

Wearing yellow to honour the king  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm wearaing my bright yellow 60th Anniversary polo shirt.

:o

Actually... it's surprising how many smiles and approving nods you get from the Thais... even in the street.

It's a great day and I'm proud (and humbled) to be here on such a joyous occasion.

:D

Actually... it's surprising how many smiles and approving nods you get from the Thais... even in the street.

It's a great day and I'm proud (and humbled) to be here on such a joyous occasion.

Exactly. I wore a yellow shirt to show the Thais that I share their feelings today. I think they appreciate that. My company had its own ceremony yesterday to honour the occasion. I was the only one who couldn't repeat those complicated words or sing the royal anthem. :D

Everyone is watching the ceremonies on TV in the office today.

I will be wearing the yellow polo shirt tonight (provided by the company) as the boss said tonight is a MUST for to all to wear for the gathering. :o

Right now still in my usual all black office outfit. :D And will change later at the venue before the event starts.

Explorer :D

One of my friends called me while I was having a smoke with a large group of Thais and asked if I wanted one. They overheard my conversation and one asked if I was buying one. I said yes and yes they were all quite pleased.

I know Im happy when I see someone in another country celebrating something American...even if its just the Super Bowl.

Exactly. I wore a yellow shirt to show the Thais that I share their feelings today. I think they appreciate that. My company had its own ceremony yesterday to honour the occasion. I was the only one who couldn't repeat those complicated words or sing the royal anthem. :D

Everyone is watching the ceremonies on TV in the office today.

As much as I love the country, I can't help but feel that the country doesn't really love me! After five years of marriage and with no kind of permanent visa, feel that these celebrations are for Thai people rather than me. Though I do wish HM all the best.

I wore one today and my staff was extremely happy about it??? and no-one thought it to be a suprise.

Other staff (2) that came in without were boo-ed by the rest,

I enjoyed it, my wife bought it for me for the specific occasion allthough I had other yellow coloured shirts....but the color would not do.

We also had the two flaggs out today and I will not buy beer today (luckily I bought enough yeaterday to get through 5 days of festivities and football games)

J

As much as I love the country, I can't help but feel that the country doesn't really love me! After five years of marriage and with no kind of permanent visa, feel that these celebrations are for Thai people rather than me. Though I do wish HM all the best.
Yes, I proudly wore yellow, with his royal crest embroided on the pocket. We have both His and the Thai flag in hanging over the front of our house!

This occasion is about the man not the country. Without his influence over 20 odd Prime Ministers and numerious military coups the country would have gone down the gurgler years ago.

Edited by cdnvic

I agree.

This day is for the king and the people of Thailand, Thai people that is.

I wonder how many Thai-based members are wearing yellow today to honour HM the king?

I normally only wear yellow on a Monday, but today I am proudly sporting His Royal Majesty's colour. :o

As an added mark of respect, I also have a piece of ginger threaded around my neck... :D

Edited by Noel

i thought about doing it but then chose not to.

i have the utmost respect for the King, but he is not my King.

My wife didn't wear one either. She said 'the love for my King is in my heart every day - I don't need a t-shirt to show people for one day'

i thought about doing it but then chose not to.

i have the utmost respect for the King, but he is not my King.

My wife didn't wear one either. She said 'the love for my King is in my heart every day - I don't need a t-shirt to show people for one day'

That's fair comment.

I wore yellow today to show the Thai that I am close to, and those I interact with on a daily basis, that I respect their respect for their King, if that makes any sense... :o:D

Foreigners trying so hard to fit in with the locals here are, on the whole, viewed by Thais -- not with the respect and admiration that earlier posters are convinced they felt washing over them -- but as a bit pathetic, a bit of a joke. All those middle-aged white guys I saw today on Sukhumvit, bellies bulging in their yellow t-shirts, reminded me of the tourists who wai bar girls in Nana: out of sync and having no clue about it.

It's their country, friends. When we try to act like we are part of it, we mostly make fools of ourselves. If you don't understand that, you really don't understand much about Thais.

Yet again OldHandLuke jumps in with wrong assumptions based upon his experiennces in Nana ....

I have been given 2 Polo style shirts from Thai friends to wear over the weekend. Not only do Thai people appreciate us showing respect to their revered monarch ... they genuinely appreciate any attempt on the part of foriegners here to understand them and their culture and their language ....

Anyone that tells you differently ... well :o

Foreigners trying so hard to fit in with the locals here are, on the whole, viewed by Thais -- not with the respect and admiration that earlier posters are convinced they felt washing over them -- but as a bit pathetic, a bit of a joke. All those middle-aged white guys I saw today on Sukhumvit, bellies bulging in their yellow t-shirts, reminded me of the tourists who wai bar girls in Nana: out of sync and having no clue about it.

It's their country, friends. When we try to act like we are part of it, we mostly make fools of ourselves. If you don't understand that, you really don't understand much about Thais.

Well said. You'll always be a Farang , or Yippon or whatever no matter how long you stay here.

Here here! I couldn't have put it better myself! Whatever makes people happy.

Yes I did wear my yellow shirt today with emblem like I did last couple of Mondays.

It was already on my bed this morning when I came out of the shower.

Some Thais made nice comments to me when they saw me :o

Have a look in the past what this king did for his country.

I wish him a long and happy life.

Gerd

Pathetic is the right word, when describing foreigners adopting a cause they hardly understand in all its implications, in order to appear that they are so in tune with the land.

No yellow shirt for me, and no orange armband either.

A much as i enjoy living here, but there are limits.

I am not that alone with this opinion, several Thai friends of mine do grumble in private about being forced by employers/headmasters/etc. to wear yellow.