How Many Of You Living In Thailand Wore Yellow Today?

camerata

Wearing yellow to honour the king  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Foreigners trying so hard to fit in with the locals here are, on the whole, viewed by Thais -- not with the respect and admiration that earlier posters are convinced they felt washing over them -- but as a bit pathetic, a bit of a joke. All those middle-aged white guys I saw today on Sukhumvit, bellies bulging in their yellow t-shirts, reminded me of the tourists who wai bar girls in Nana: out of sync and having no clue about it.

It's their country, friends. When we try to act like we are part of it, we mostly make fools of ourselves. If you don't understand that, you really don't understand much about Thais.

Pathetic is the right word, when describing foreigners adopting a cause they hardly understand in all its implications, in order to appear that they are so in tune with the land.

Pathetic because you want to show respect for the great king of siam? I certainly disagree with that notion. Actualy, I think you're showing Thai people that you respect their belief and their king. Respect goes both ways you know.

Oldasiadork - you really need to get out of the sukhumvit environment. There's more to this country than Bargirls.

Pathetic is the right word, when describing foreigners adopting a cause they hardly understand in all its implications, in order to appear that they are so in tune with the land.

No yellow shirt for me, and no orange armband either.

A much as i enjoy living here, but there are limits.

I am not that alone with this opinion, several Thai friends of mine do grumble in private about being forced by employers/headmasters/etc. to wear yellow.

Dude, its obvious you've never fit in anywhere, you're the kid looking in the window at the party he wasnt invited to, pulling one while fantasizing about your funeral and how sorry everyone would be that they didnt give you the attention you deserved when you're dead.

Sad, pathetic, you.

I bought a yellow shirt today and not only didn everyone smile at me for it but I was bought a drink, and even the girl at the 7-ll gave me a bow which she had never done before. Everyone I ran into was happy to see that I made the SMALL gesture of purchasing a shirt for a good cause.

I wasnt pretending to be THAI, I was being an American at a THAI party. People like you are the same ######s that go out on Halloween and dont wear costumes.

They appreciate it, and I appreciate their appreciating it.

Its a win win situation.

I even noticed Thais who didnt have shirts on talking to me and explaining why they didnt have one.

It was a great evening watching the fireworks from the roof of CTI tower, the fireworks were going off right in front of my face.

Edited by ROFL

Good for you.

I though am not that lonely that i have to spend my evenings here having to don a yellow shirt so i can to talk to complete strangers whose language i don't even understand and be appreciated by them because of the color of my shirt.

Sorry, but i never felt particularly comfortable as a follower sort of person.

Each to his own...

Good for you.

I though am not that lonely that i have to spend my evenings here having to don a yellow shirt so i can to talk to complete strangers whose language i don't even understand and be appreciated by them because of the color of my shirt.

Each to his own...

LOL, yeah Im a follower because I bought a 200 baht shirt on a day celebrating a man who is internationally praised for his good work. :o

I talk to strangers every day, in fact it drives my girlfriend crazy every time we ride the elevator. :D

Good for you.

Each to his own...

Hey ColPyat, I've been gone a few days, but I came back to you spewing the same garbage as last week, and the week before.....

YOU have the nerve to denigrate a person for honoring the king! You are right though, that is pathetic.

Crawl back under your rock and take a vacation, give the rest of the TV a break from your attitude!

Foreigners trying so hard to fit in with the locals here are, on the whole, viewed by Thais -- not with the respect and admiration that earlier posters are convinced they felt washing over them -- but as a bit pathetic, a bit of a joke. All those middle-aged white guys I saw today on Sukhumvit, bellies bulging in their yellow t-shirts, reminded me of the tourists who wai bar girls in Nana: out of sync and having no clue about it.

It's their country, friends. When we try to act like we are part of it, we mostly make fools of ourselves. If you don't understand that, you really don't understand much about Thais.

Yes, that conclusion may apply to the populated, tourist locations and I’m hearing that some of the silly olde fools paid up too 800 Baht for their shirts!!!. – BUT there are many of us living and have lived for years out in the back blocks of Isaan etc. and are very well known by all the villagers.

As stated earlier I wore an official polo shirt (250 Baht) because I wanted to. The reception I received was genuinely warm, better that than offending TW and her family.

I have a wrist band and did have a commemorative pen, that caused much interest and then got stolen. As for a shirt, I won't get my one 'til the end of the month!!!

Edited by booma

What a sad and pathetic outlook. :D

For the record, my yellow shirt was given to me by my Thai work colleagues... and it wasn't so much "admiration and respect" that they were giving me when I wore it... but more like appreciation and approval of my respect for their king and culture.

Without getting into a slanging match... you're the one that doesn't understand much about Thais. :o

This morning, I asked my staff what they thought about Farangs wearing the yellow shirt (I haven't been wearing one because I don't own any).

They said that it made them feel that we know, appreciate and want to take part in the Thai culture.

They said that it made them feel happy. :o

They said that it made them feel happy. :o

Celebrations raising happiness levels

By ThaiDay 9 June 2006 12:22

The celebrations for the 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King’s accession to the throne are broadly raising the level of happiness in Thai society, a survey by ABAC Poll has revealed.

Full story here.

/Edit - I didn't really want to highjack this thread and turn it into a news thread, just posted the link to make some people aware of the importance of happiness in everyday Thai life... and especially at this time.

Edited by Jai Dee

The celebrations for the 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King’s accession to the throne are broadly raising the level of happiness in Thai society, a survey by ABAC Poll has revealed.

Last night when I arrived at the southbound platform of the MRT station there were the most amazing (and orderly!) queues of yellow-clad people. Train after train went by with people packed like sardines on their way to Sirikit Convention Centre. Then some Americans got in the queue behind me and one of them said in a booming voice, "Look, they're stopping the rest of us from getting the train because they all want to go together!!"

:o

My colleagues and I eventually went northbound for a few stops so we could get on a train before it was too crowded.

Sorry folks, but the Thai people - deservedly - LOVE this King.

I somehow doubt they look down on us outsiders for showing that we appreciate him as well - no matter how dorky we seem to each other. :o

Exactly. My Thai colleague couldn't believe anyone would think that Thais look down on foreigners who show respect for the king. But any thread about "fitting in" seems to bring out a few curmudgeons who feel that fitting in means sucking up to the Thais, embracing all Thai values without exception, or somehow betraying one's own country and principles.

At the ceremonies at our District HQ, everybody wore their uniforms or a yellow shirt.

Obviously their farang couldn't wear a yellow shirt, as the biggest size was way too small for him whose wife calls him "Chang Noi".

But a thai-style jacket in locally-woven silk seemed to be accepted as 'farang uniform'.

And I did get invited to help to launch one of our 60 hot-air balloons.

They were quite a sight as they moved away on a glorious moonlit summer's night.

I wore a yellow shirt unfortunately not the official anniversary shirt :D

Watched the fireworks up real close and currently reading the newly released English version of " In His Majesty's Footsteps, A Personal memoir "

All out of personal desire and not to be so ignorant and impervious to all things Thai

:o

Exactly. My Thai colleague couldn't believe anyone would think that Thais look down on foreigners who show respect for the king.

Most of my Thai friends do have a healthy portion of cynicism about symbolic shows such as masses wearing yellow shirts in order to show all how how much the love the King. Not that they do not respect the King, which they do obviously. But generally, they show their respect by more substantial actions in their everyday lifes, such as spending a major portion of their lifes working for the community.

They don't though buy into this romaticising notion of perceiving Thailand so many Farang here, and Thais themselves do. And this present craze is for them symbolic of this mistaken perception of Thailand. Yesterday night we had a bit of a chuckle between us about the dicrepancies between this sudden show of love, and reality of those troubled times.

My friends here see, and have shown me over the years, a more balanced picture of Thailand, many beautyful sides, and also the very ugly sides. They don't expect me to "show respect and appreciation" by empty gestures such as donning a yellow shirt, and professing my love and respect with so many words.

Would they look down on me if i decide to wear a yellow shirt? Hardly. But they would think it a bit odd if i have to resort to such symbolic gestures.

No yellow shirt for me, and no orange armband either.

A much as i enjoy living here, but there are limits.

I am not that alone with this opinion, several Thai friends of mine do grumble in private about being forced by employers/headmasters/etc. to wear yellow.

I should imagine that with such a high level of jaundice running through your body, a yellow shirt would be superfluous... :o

Considering that you have the brass neck to refer to yourself as “OldAsiaHand”, how can you write such pathetic and misguided drivel? I wasn’t aware that ostriches were indigenous to Thailand but maybe you’re one of those imported ones. Either way, your imagination resembles the wings of an ostrich. Go and pull your head out of the sands of the Sukhumvit.

I’m not Thai and I don’t aspire to be Thai, yet in the two decades that I’ve lived in Thailand (LIVED in Thailand not visited Thailand), I have, as you say “fitted in”. I am respected by my Thai family, my Thai colleagues and my Thai friends. Thai people, and you are obviously unaware of this, do not regard foreigners as pathetic or as a target for contempt or mockery.

I hope that King Bhumipol lives to see his 70th Jubilee and, if I’m still alive, I’ll wear my yellow shirt again because, without him, the future of Thailand and the Thai people is uncertain……….as uncertain as yours Mr. OldAsiaHand, aka Mr. OldAsiaClueless.

Edited by Artisan

Most of my Thai friends.........show their respect by more substantial actions in their everyday lives, such as spending a major portion of their lifes working for the community.

They don't though buy into this romaticising notion of perceiving Thailand so many Farang here, and Thais themselves do. And this present craze is for them symbolic of this mistaken perception of Thailand. Yesterday night we had a bit of a chuckle between us about the dicrepancies between this sudden show of love, and reality of those troubled times.

Your Thai friends are lucky to be able to spend a major portion of their lives working for the community. Think about all of the other Thai people who have to work for their families, themselves or are unemployed and never will be employed and those Thai people who are incurably sick or homeless and who regard the King as an inspiration in their lives. The wearing of a yellow shirt is a witness to this aspiration.

Yes, there are discrepancies and conflicts in the lives of the Thai people but don’t confuse political, social and religious conflicts with this “sudden show of love”. The Thai people are drawn further together by this symbolic "craze". Long live the King.

Edited by Artisan

My friends here see, and have shown me over the years, a more balanced picture of Thailand, many beautyful sides, and also the very ugly sides. They don't expect me to "show respect and appreciation" by empty gestures such as donning a yellow shirt, and professing my love and respect with so many words.

Would they look down on me if i decide to wear a yellow shirt? Hardly. But they would think it a bit odd if i have to resort to such symbolic gestures.

Ha, ha. Not 'following' like other people, but posting like this to show how you fit in with a more enlightened kind of Thai - so just a sheep in your own way. Do you really believe that people who put on a yellow shirt have never seen "a more balanced picture of Thailand, many beautyful sides, and also the very ugly sides." :o

And people who work for the community are all having a wry smille at the shirt wearers? :D

What an utterly bizarre post.

Edited by Tarragona

Your Thai friends are lucky to be able to spend a major portion of their lives working for the community. Think about all of the other Thai people who have to work for their families, themselves or are unemployed and never will be employed and those Thai people who are incurably sick or homeless and who regard the King as an inspiration in their lives. The wearing of a yellow shirt is a witness to this aspiration.

Yes, there are discrepancies and conflicts in the lives of the Thai people but don’t confuse political, social and religious conflicts with this “sudden show of love”. The Thai people are drawn further together by this symbolic "craze". Long live the King.

They do that in addition to their normal jobs, not because they are rich. Many of them are from slums and such. They just take the ideas of "Por Pueang" to heart without having to make a huge empty show convincing everybody what loyal folks they are.

There just is a bit too much hypocracy going at the moment for my taste. But i understand perfectly well that this here is a face culture. Just don't expect me to take part in this sharade.

Just wait and see.

Not long, and the festivities are over, and we will be right back to the selfdestructing political fight and nasty powergames, and the great show of loyality will be replaced by egoism and greed.

I am sorry if i hurt anyone's feelings here, but, please - wake up to reality.

Just wait and see.

Not long, and the festivities are over, and we will be right back to the selfdestructing political fight and nasty powergames, and the great show of loyality will be replaced by egoism and greed.

I'm sure that is all going to come as a huge shock to all the people wearing yellow shirts because they have no idea of the realities of life in Thailand. :o

They do that in addition to their normal jobs, not because they are rich. Many of them are from slums and such. They just take the ideas of "Por Pueang" to heart without having to make a huge empty show convincing everybody what loyal folks they are.

There just is a bit too much hypocracy going at the moment for my taste. But i understand perfectly well that this here is a face culture. Just don't expect me to take part in this sharade.

Just wait and see.

My feelings weren't hurt in the slightest but, please, you must understand that "reality" is a very subjective and sometimes abstract concept. Certainly, 'face' and its preservation is crucial to most Thai people but Thailand is a land of many 'faces'. You will come to understand Thailand, and the Thai people, more if you learn to separate and distinguish between these faces. These self-destructing political posturings and nasty powergames co-exist with the spectacles that we have seen in the last two days, and the masses of people who gathered in Bangkok yesterday, to show their loyalty to the Monarch, were real from anyone's viewpoint. It was a 'great show of loyalty' as was everything that took place in the UK for the Silver Jubilee of Elizabeth II.

The Thai people will understand the words 'egotistical' and 'greedy' but with reference to their politicians and the politicians cronies. Don't paint the average Thai with the same brush and, as for the politicians, they're just doing their job, the same as every other politician in every other country....being egotistical and greedy. Long live the King.

I'm sure that is all going to come as a huge shock to all the people wearing yellow shirts because they have no idea of the realities of life in Thailand. :o

Oh yes they do, especially the many thousands of people who assembled in Bangkok. The Thai people are fatalistic by nature, and by their culture; they do know the realities of life in Thailand and they know how to accept them.

The Thai people will understand the words 'egotistical' and 'greedy' but with reference to their politicians and the politicians cronies. Don't paint the average Thai with the same brush and, as for the politicians, they're just doing their job, the same as every other politician in every other country....being egotistical and greedy. Long live the King.

It is always the easy way out to shift the guilt on the politicians. Problem though is that those politicians don't come from nowhere, and only reflect conditions of the society that chooses them.

Yes, the show was/is real - as real as things can be in face oriented societies. There are many layers of reality, and integral part, and trap, of that is that the surface often supercedes content, to a certain degree.

It is always the easy way out to shift the guilt on the politicians. Problem though is that those politicians don't come from nowhere, and only reflect conditions of the society that chooses them.

Yes, the show was/is real - as real as things can be in face oriented societies. There are many layers of reality, and integral part, and trap, of that is that the surface often supercedes content, to a certain degree.

COLPYAT you are a troll!................ An arrogant ass, and a troll!

I should have wore yellow shirt if I would have stayed in Thailand on that day. This same color shirts parade became popular just recently as I could remember. One time I visited Bangkok and it was Chinese New Year or Songkran day, I cant remember now, and my sister said today people shall wear RED COLOR, I didnt wear because first I have no red and never wore red, second, I shall do if I feel like to do, but wont do if somebody force me to. But I like this feeling that people join the same activity to wear the same color. It's like we love the same favarite football team , green, orange or red or yellow. Or Carveval , we do the same funny thing. Dont think too serious.

It is for the business too ( for the textile branches ) and looks good on television or news. We all like to have good image, even Bush needed good image before he was on TV, everywhere should be perfected, background, the flag, the loacation for interview etc....

Aren't we copy you ? Put the Yellow Ribbon round the old oak tree ? To show how much we love ?

We do love to copy good things from other places too. :o

I do love our King and happy to see the yellow (love) color round the good old Bangkok streets on our news here yesterday :D He is always in our heart and wishing him good health and long life.

I do love our King and happy to see the yellow (love) color round the good old Bangkok streets on our news here yesterday :D He is always in our heart and wishing him good health and long life.

Nicely said Kathe......and I'm wearing my yellow shirt tonight. :o Long live the King.....for all of our sakes.

Here's a thought! Do Paraguay play in yellow shirts? I hope not.

At our ceremonies at the District HQ, I was struck by the note of seriousness.

It didn't have the air of a 'street party' by any means.

I am wondering if the big turnout for the 'show' was increased a bit by the recent 'reality' that the nation-family has put a big burden on the head of the family and, fortunately, he has risen to the occasion, at an age when he deserves to be relieved of big burdens.

I felt it was a national 'Thank You', with an unspoken 'Sorry to have been demanding of you, recently'.