Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Permenant Hair straightening in Bangkok?

HeavyDrinker

Anyone have any recommendations?

At this time of year the heat and humidity plays merry H*ll with my hair and it goes into superfrizzy mode.

A pal of my wife's said I should have it straightened permanently. I looked into it and I'm confused but it seems a Brazilian Keratin treatment is the way to go but i also read a few caveats and was confused as to whether this is really permanent. They have recommended a few places but I don't have "Thai hair" if you will. I asked the dollies at our local salon and after the giggles faded they said it would cost about 2000B which seems fine by me but I couldn't establish if it would be a permanent affair or would I have to used awful irons on my hair every day which I don't fancy.

HeavyDrinker, I get my hair straightened at one of my local hair shops, it takes about 3 hours, it costs 700 Baht, and last until your hair gets replaced by new growth, in my case about 6 months, I have been getting it done now for about 5 years and can fully recommend it. if you need any further information PM me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I had the Keratin treatment done but the missus wasn't having any of the 4000 so came along to negotiate (or so she said but she didn't want me alone in that shop with 3 dollybirds.....) She knocked them down to 2500 and the 1500B saving is going on a slap up supper tonight(Fish and Chips down the Londoner methinks).

I feel magnificent. I've just run a comb through my hair for the first time since I was 12.....

Took a while (near 3 hours) though and sadly when I'm sat down for a long time I tend to fart a lot and sadly let one seep out much to the hairdresser's horror and the wife is still giving me beans about it....but I gave her a good tip....

I'd recommend it to anyone

Since hair continuously falls out and is replaced by new hair, there is no such thing as "permanent" hair straightening.

Keratin is the preferred straightening treatment in that it will actually protect/nourish the hair in contrast to harsh chemicals otherwise used.

But regardless, hair will grow out and treatment will have to be repeated, about every 4-6 months depending on how fast yours grows.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers Possum....I just got a quote from my local salon for a Keratin treatment for about 4000 and they said its may need another wallop every few months or so which sounds good to me. An end to the frizz.....

Hi HD, I hope you get what you want. My hair has never been frizzy, always been straight but it builds up at the top of my head. Getting it straightened permanently stops that. My hair completely covers my ears, I get it straightened every six months at my local hairshop for 700 Baht, the only downside is I get bored waiting for hair to set, takes about 3 hours.

Since hair continuously falls out and is replaced by new hair, there is no such thing as "permanent" hair straightening.

Keratin is the preferred straightening treatment in that it will actually protect/nourish the hair in contrast to harsh chemicals otherwise used.

But regardless, hair will grow out and treatment will have to be repeated, about every 4-6 months depending on how fast yours grows.

That's true Sheryl, it is not Keratin I get, but the treatment I do get lasts until all my new hair grows in. It takes about six months.

I don't know if it harms the hair, but every six months it is completely new hair. I have been getting it done for four years now with no problems at all.