Help ! Extension of stay for my wife !

Hi all !

I need help with suggestions from you. My wife who is Thai is going to Thailand between May 8 and August 16 to visit her parents.

She needs to travel to Thailand with her Swedish passport because embassy have no time for her to do a new passport until June and that is too late for her.

In the Swedish passport she has her surname same as mine but on her Thai ID she has her mothers surname. I have got information that Thai people can go to Thailand with

falang passport without visa ( allowed to stay 30 days ) and then apply for a extension of stay up to one year for 1900 bath at immigration in Bangkok. This is what she is going to do.

Apply for an extension of stay to August 16.

But !

Surname in Swedish passport and Thai ID is different. I think she must show her Thai ID at immigration to proof she is Thai citizen to get this long extension of stay.

Is this going to be any problem you think ?

If so. What do you suggest she can do simplest way to stay from May 8 to August 16 ? Tickets already bought.

Thank you for your help !

/HM52

She can travel to and enter Thailand with an expired Thai passport. Then get the new passport here before leaving.

Enter the info here to confirm: http:www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

No need to use the Swedish passport.

As said expired passport is valid for entry if she still has. But if she wants to use other passport and extend it should not be an issue as long as she can provide the marriage certificate (but if not Thai that could ask it be legalized) but in general they try to make it easy for citizens and former citizens to extend.

She can go to her local Amphur and change her name to the new one, she will then get a green certificate that shows the name change.

OK ! So you mean it is possible for her to change her name at Amphur without having to proof she is married to me and go through all legalization procedures both in Sweden and Thailand ?

The large legalization procedures is it only when you want to register that you are married + name change at Amphur ?

In my wifes case it is only name change at Amphur. Easy procedure ?

Have I got it correct ?

Best regards

/HM52

I assume you were married in Sweden. Is that correct since it has not been mentioned.

You can do the registration at the embassy. Info here: http://www.thaiembassy.se/en/consular-affairs/for-thai-people/251

Even here it is not all that difficult. It just requires certification of the marriage certificate. translation to Thai and certification of the translation then a trip to the Amphoe for the marriage registration.

I assume you were married in Sweden. Is that correct since it has not been mentioned.

You can do the registration at the embassy. Info here: http://www.thaiembassy.se/en/consular-affairs/for-thai-people/251

Even here it is not all that difficult. It just requires certification of the marriage certificate. translation to Thai and certification of the translation then a trip to the Amphoe for the marriage registration.

OK !

Tomorrow I am going to check the procedure times here in Stockholm for having our married paper ( married in Sweden ) legalized before she goes to Thailand. I can also send the papers afterwords i think to her in Thailand by post if they can not stamp them in time at the Thai embassy Before May 8.

Thank you all for you help. I am going to try the plan above.

Best regards

/HM52