Where are the best proper chips in Pattaya?

champers

Not necessarily from a fish and chip shop but definitely not deep fried frozen ones. Made by Expats or Thais; I don't care. Must be on sale to all & sundry, please, so no "my wife's /girlfriend's/ boyfriends are best". Thanks in advance.

Not come across any decent non frozen chips.

The best chips I've had locally were when I asked Usa frozen large size chips (in lengh and width) at 75b a plate altogether better than the many poor offerings I've tried here.I have only seen these at Zeasens far up on the left side of Nernplubwan.Do a worth while fish and chips as well breaded at

135b

I don't think they can get good chipping potatoes in Thailand so hand cut home made mostly fail miserably.

Try the Golden Friar in Jomtien. 99B up for F&C. They are quite chunky and I like them, and I think they do a good job with the potato variety used. They are certainly nothing like the frozen ones that one gets everywhere here, and which are usually undercooked in the wrong oil at too low a cooking temperature giving you a pale yellow soggy mess.

My favourite Pattaya restaurant (English owned).....serves better fish & chips than any that I have had in England.....

The chips are always crisp on the outside and soft in the middle.......the fish is always fresh white texture, without bones (not a bottom feeding breed) and cooked perfectly and at 149 baht priced very well

Oh....and I am English

Edited by DD13

My favourite Pattaya restaurant (English owned).....serves better fish & chips than any that I have had in England.....

The chips are always crisp on the outside and soft in the middle.......the fish is always fresh white texture, without bones (not a bottom feeding breed) and cooked perfectly and at 149 baht priced very well

Oh....and I am English

So we know what nationality you are, and the nationality of the shop owner, and we know what sort of chips and fish you like and we know how much you pay for them. All of which is top-notch information.

But we dont know what place you are talking about. We can only guess that you were referrring to Simon's in Jomtien, in which case I dont remember seeing F&Cs on their menu outside for 149B, though I am more than prepared to be told that I am wrong. Can you clarify?

• Like 1

...the fish is always fresh white texture, without bones (not a bottom feeding breed) and cooked perfectly and at 149 baht priced very well

At 149B I suppose that it will be Tilapia, such as one would get in every cheap F&C shop here that I know of. "Bottom-feeding" is the least one should worry about with this fish (which isn't to say that I dont eat it as the fillets are indeed white and boneless and tasty enough).

OK if I "have" to let the cat out of the bag "Pattini" in Soi Bukhao

But if I can't get a seat on my next visit

Woe will betide you all for forcing it out of me

A really well run clean, light and bright restaurant

• Like 2

OK if I "have" to let the cat out of the bag "Pattini" in Soi Bukhao

But if I can't get a seat on my next visit

Woe will betide you all for forcing it out of me

Dont worry; I've mentioned them here before more than once.

Yes, it's not bad. And yes, it's Tilapia.

The place in New Plaza is similar and 50B cheaper (peas not included).

I don't know how long Malcolm (the owner) has been at Simons but the chips have been consistently brilliant in the 4 years I have been eating there. He won't tell me where he gets his potatoes from. Keeps me going back

I don't know how long Malcolm (the owner) has been at Simons but the chips have been consistently brilliant in the 4 years I have been eating there. He won't tell me where he gets his potatoes from. Keeps me going back

Do you know if they still do a salmon fillet with a lime and mustard sauce?

Edited by rhythmworx

Do you know if they still do a salmon fillet with a lime and mustard sauce?

Sorry I don't. I always have the cod and chips

I know a couple of places that call themselves "Chippies" but use frozen chips, one is in a "village" the other on Pratumnak hill

My vote goes to Simons in Jomtien also

Is the one on the Pratumnak hill the new one that was about to open at the end of november when we were there lasr year?

I know a couple of places that call themselves "Chippies" but use frozen chips, one is in a "village" the other on Pratumnak hill

My vote goes to Simons in Jomtien also

Is the one on the Pratumnak hill the new one that was about to open at the end of november when we were there lasr year?

Yes, the fish is ok, but the chips are frozen, Beefeater type

Do you mean "curry and chips"? I noticed another branch of that the other day as I was driving around. Was it on 3rd Road near Klang?

Not been tempted to try either branch though as they look like every bad pie and chips place I have ever seen in the UK.

Do you mean "curry and chips"? I noticed another branch of that the other day as I was driving around. Was it on 3rd Road near Klang?

Not been tempted to try either branch though as they look like every bad pie and chips place I have ever seen in the UK.

Thepprasit there is a new branch near the market area

Lovely cod from curry n chips but what a huge disapointment the chips are. Bog standard frozen. If I want them I could cook them at home. Its a real shame as they have a lovely shop and their fish is good.

Agreed. It's a strange bird and with expensive drinks I did not find it good value for money.

Just to get back to my original question: everyone seem to be concentrating solely on fish & chip shops. However, other establishments can be included. I've always enjoyed the home-made chips at Bei Mama on the Naklua Pattaya road. It's a Thai lady who runs the place and it's mostly, but not exclusively, popular with Germans. Very good Thai food, plenty of duck dishes but great chips too. Are there any similar places whose chips are top notch?