NACC official denies bias in conduct of probes

webfact

NACC official denies bias in conduct of probes
The Nation

30231953-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- Witthaya Arkompitak, deputy secretary-general of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), yesterday defended the NACC against complaints that it conducts its affairs with a political bias.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit has submitted a letter to the NACC, asking about the progress in its investigation of seven projects and crises during the Abhisit administration allegedly tainted by corruption.

They include the rice-distribution scheme, failed construction of 396 police stations, palm-oil shortage and crackdown on protesters in May 2010.

Pheu Thai demanded that the NACC explain why it managed to wrap up probes into cases arising during the Yingluck administration, which came after those still-pending cases.

Witthaya said the delay in the inquiry into corruption allegations in the rice-distribution scheme was due to some necessary documents also being used in court trials.

The NACC would invite former Pheu Thai MP Pairot Issarasomchai to appear for questioning and would close the case soon, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-22

• Like 1

"Witthaya said the delay in the inquiry into corruption allegations in the rice-distribution scheme was due to some necessary documents also being used in court trials."

So they cannot use the rice distribution documents, as they are being used to prosecute YS first, then once she is out the way, all these 'investigations' can be quietly put on the back burner, and the NACC officials can return to their day jobs of doing sweet FA until the next threat to the traditional powers that be arise when they can be wheeled out again.

• Like 1

"Witthaya said the delay in the inquiry into corruption allegations in the rice-distribution scheme was due to some necessary documents also being used in court trials."

So they cannot use the rice distribution documents, as they are being used to prosecute YS first, then once she is out the way, all these 'investigations' can be quietly put on the back burner, and the NACC officials can return to their day jobs of doing sweet FA until the next threat to the traditional powers that be arise when they can be wheeled out again.

Why would documents relating to the Democrat scheme be used in Yingluk's case? To prove that previous losses were miniscule in comparison?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why would documents relating to the Democrat scheme be used in Yingluk's case? To prove that previous losses were miniscule in comparison?

Possibly yes, does not mean they should not be investigated thoroughly though and in a timely manner.

I have also heard of a device called a photo copier!

Getting technical here , a photo copier good grief.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Possibly yes, does not mean they should not be investigated thoroughly though and in a timely manner.

When we are in the process of getting technical, out of interest does anyone know what qualifications someone on the NACC should have? or training? I would have presumed that most corruption cases involving large amounts of money are complex to trace. Are their specially trained investigators within the NACC?

I don't know how stories are put together in The Nation (I have my suspicions, but that's something for another time, suffice to say it involves the phrase, "fabrication of sources") but do the Photo Editors and article editors ever meet up?

Just what has that photo have to do with the NACC denying bias in it's "probes"?

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

Each investigation as everybody except the PTP know ,has its own course to run , some take time ,it all depends on the information and the available information , nothing is exact, especially Thai time.coffee1.gif

You're probably right, it just seems that any case regarding the PTP is fast tracked. I know that's just bias on my part and there's no basis for thinking like that at all. It's obvious it's because the PTP are serial offenders and if they didn't spend all their time raping the country and emptying the treasury whilst jumping every time Thaksin skypes in they wouldn't have to spend so much time defending themselves in court.

Did I miss any cliches? Can I join the club now, please? whistling.gif

• Like 1

A while back, the NACC stated that government officials (PTP) had not responded to requests for information and documentation in this particular investigation. At the time there was some suggestion evidence had been lost in the 2011 flood.

Interesting that PTP don't rush to provide information that apparently might implicate their arch rivals?

Murkier and murkier the more anything is dug into.

• Like 1

When we are in the process of getting technical, out of interest does anyone know what qualifications someone on the NACC should have? or training? I would have presumed that most corruption cases involving large amounts of money are complex to trace. Are their specially trained investigators within the NACC?

An admiration for military Juntas and coups is a plus......................

Failing that, have a friend or two in the fiercely independent Senate whistling.gif as they appoint NACC commissioners.

Edited by fab4

I don't know how stories are put together in The Nation (I have my suspicions, but that's something for another time, suffice to say it involves the phrase, "fabrication of sources") but do the Photo Editors and article editors ever meet up?

Just what has that photo have to do with the NACC denying bias in it's "probes"?

Are they not the 200,000 UDD malitia ready to defend the PTP when the NACC kick YL out? whistling.gif

Edited by ggold

You can put it that way if you like.

I prefer to see it as keeping this 'bunch of thieves' in check to stop them further damaging the country in record time!!!

If they fail to produce the evidence of corruption by the 15 accused then it will be case dismissed and they and Yingluck will rightly be off the hook on this one!! However, if they find irregularities (how can they not) and simply highlight the fact that the 'chair' of the scam failed to go to a single meeting well that will be a different matter. Even Thaksin knows that he is toast on this one and is making preparations for the after event!!!

• Like 1

You can put it that way if you like.

I prefer to see it as keeping this 'bunch of thieves' in check to stop them further damaging the country in record time!!!

If they fail to produce the evidence of corruption by the 15 accused then it will be case dismissed and they and Yingluck will rightly be off the hook on this one!! However, if they find irregularities (how can they not) and simply highlight the fact that the 'chair' of the scam failed to go to a single meeting well that will be a different matter. Even Thaksin knows that he is toast on this one and is making preparations for the after event!!!

One bunch of thieves being kept in check by another bunch of thieves, so the other bunch of thieves can get rid of the thieve so they can continue their thievery into the next century unhindered.

Each investigation as everybody except the PTP know ,has its own course to run , some take time ,it all depends on the information and the available information , nothing is exact, especially Thai time.coffee1.gif

You're probably right, it just seems that any case regarding the PTP is fast tracked. I know that's just bias on my part and there's no basis for thinking like that at all. It's obvious it's because the PTP are serial offenders and if they didn't spend all their time raping the country and emptying the treasury whilst jumping every time Thaksin skypes in they wouldn't have to spend so much time defending themselves in court.

Did I miss any cliches? Can I join the club now, please? whistling.gif

It is not a club worth joining. Far better to remain objective.

None of the yellow shirt/PRDC appeasers can adequately explain why cases aginst PTP members are being fast tracked and investigated, at least in one case, by a person whose independence has been questioned, why the defence had restrictions imposed on them limiting the number of witnesses they could call while older and no less serious cases, albeit against Democrat Party politicians, have been kicked into the long grass.

The NACC official might deny bias. To quote Mandy Rice-Davis (from many years ago) and repeated by Edwina Curry a bit more recently: "He would say that would'nt he." The NACC should understand that they are also on trial. It is not what they say they will do that matters, They will be judged by what they do and how they do it.

• Like 1

The ludicrous spectacle of this daily onslaught by Pheu Thai on the National Anti-Corruption Commission continues. The one thing Pheu Thai does not do is mount a serious defense of the rice scheme - presumably because they can't. Yingluck's testimony was likely considered to be too comical for words, so instead the NACC has heard from a number of witnesses who nonetheless appeared to be woefully unprepared. And the lawyers ( if they can be called as such ) that Yingluck has employed have done nothing to focus their attention on her defense in the rice scheme. Their full focus has been to delay hearings, delay testimony, and daily chide the agency through the media. It's outrageous.

I think people should give this department a break and give them the opportunity to do their job.

This department needs to be completely independent like the ICAC in Hong Kong. No one should be able to question them at all about the ongoing investigations. They should also have the ability to investigate absolutely anybody including politicians and the police.

The ICAC in Hong Kong quietly go about their business in the background putting evidence together but they do not draw unnecessary attention to themselves while investigating. In fact if a complaint is made to the ICAC they investigate without alerting the potential corrupt person that they are onto them. This way there is no opportunity for covering tracks which allows them to get the evidence to prosecute.

They are very powerful and have made huge impact on corruption in HK literally transforming HK from corrupt and dirty in clean and honest…

Thailand needs this. If corruption is to be truly tackled then this should be resourced heavily, empowered appropriately and left to get on with it.

When your house is on fire you don't hang around to make sure you have turned off all the lights before you leave. Given what is happening, the NACC should have every single person working on this very important case.

Errr... Which case are you talking about? Khun Prompong asked about seven cases which had been referred to the NACC and have not been completed yet. Are you saying the case against yingluck is more important? Why, exactly? Because it's absolutely essential to destroy her brother before a pending event occurs? Come on, say it, you'll feel better. This pussyfooting around the real motives is bad for your spiritual health.

I think people should give this department a break and give them the opportunity to do their job.

This department needs to be completely independent like the ICAC in Hong Kong. No one should be able to question them at all about the ongoing investigations. They should also have the ability to investigate absolutely anybody including politicians and the police.

The ICAC in Hong Kong quietly go about their business in the background putting evidence together but they do not draw unnecessary attention to themselves while investigating. In fact if a complaint is made to the ICAC they investigate without alerting the potential corrupt person that they are onto them. This way there is no opportunity for covering tracks which allows them to get the evidence to prosecute.

They are very powerful and have made huge impact on corruption in HK literally transforming HK from corrupt and dirty in clean and honest

Thailand needs this. If corruption is to be truly tackled then this should be resourced heavily, empowered appropriately and left to get on with it.

Well a good start would probably be that they should at least appear to be trying to work through cases in something approaching a chronological order, unless they have an excellent explanation.