Probe into Thai school director who sat exam for assistant teachers

webfact

Probe into school director who sat exam for assistant teachers
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Education officials have begun a disciplinary probe into the school director who sat an assistant-teacher recruitment exam on Saturday.

Pitak Supalert, director of Ban Nong Sai School in Buri Ram, was found sitting the exam on Saturday in Samut Sakhon.

His move has raised suspicion about exam cheating, but to date Pitak has maintained he simply wished to try the exam questions so he could guide his younger relatives on how to prepare themselves for such exams in the future.

"But no matter his intention, he must face a disciplinary probe. He went into the test without seeking prior approval from his supervising office. This is against regulations," Supoj Jiamjai said yesterday in his capacity as the chief of Buri Ram's Office of Primary Education Service Area 1.

The office has set up a fact-finding committee to look into Pitak's case. Supoj expected the committee to conclude the case within the next few days.

Buri Ram's Secondary Education Service Area 32, meanwhile, has received complaints that a group of suspects charged Bt200,000 to people wishing to become an assistant teacher, saying that they could help.

"We are investigating into the complaints," the office's director Kitti Booncherd said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-22

Can someone explain why anyone would pay 200,000 to get a job that pays 8-9k a month (I assume this is correct because full teacher pay does not exceed 12k). Is there some secret tea money they tap into or do they just love classrooms so much? I must be missing something. Please enlighten.

Can someone explain why anyone would pay 200,000 to get a job that pays 8-9k a month (I assume this is correct because full teacher pay does not exceed 12k). Is there some secret tea money they tap into or do they just love classrooms so much? I must be missing something. Please enlighten.

Absolutely! Cops get paid 7-9k a month. Good job if you can get, as the old song says. whistling.gif

All the appropriate words eg. ' probe ', ' investigation ', 'fact finding committee ' but at the end of the day what will happen, if anything ?

Unless somebody up there doesn't like him he will likely be criticised but exonerated.

They are there to make money..........not earn it.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Under whose name was he sitting the exam?

The 64,000 question unanswered by the Thai press. Should have been the first question the Thai news asked.

• Like 1

Not much to miss . . . parents or students will pay for better grades or for private tutoring, that's where the "extra" money comes from.

Not much to miss . . . parents or students will pay for better grades or for private tutoring, that's where the "extra" money comes from.

I'm still struggling with the economics of this. Granted, I fully understand the 'tea money' concept, God knows I've forked out enough of that to the traffic cops over the years. But, it takes a helluva lot of tea money to recoup 200K before you move into positive financial territory.

Maybe the crack investigative journalists at The Nation so beloved by many a Thai Visa prognosticator could help out??

I'm still struggling with the economics of this. Granted, I fully understand the 'tea money' concept, God knows I've forked out enough of that to the traffic cops over the years. But, it takes a helluva lot of tea money to recoup 200K before you move into positive financial territory.

Maybe the crack investigative journalists at The Nation so beloved by many a Thai Visa prognosticator could help out??

If you accept a few key things (that people pay under the table to get better grades + it happens more often than you think) then its not hard to work it out as economics of scale.

A thai teacher might start with 8000 baht, but it goes up over the years. Some teachers in my school earn 60-70000 a month (50years and above)

Also there is the insurence and they get retirement money after. So the 200000 make totally sense

Plenty of scams going. If the pupil doesn't pay for extra lessons then he gets lower grades, both because the teacher is purposely teaching poorly and because he hasn't paid up. Our girl'sEnglish teacher can't understand a word I say and faults her for (non) mistakes.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Sure.

Getting one's finger to the edge of the pie that in made out of:

Extortion of not teaching what one should, then teaching 'extra' afterschool/weekend lessons where what is on the exams will be solely taught.

Selling of exams. Selling of grades.

Scimming off budgets.

Financial civil servant benefits such as mortgages and loans.

A guy I know teaches private students in their houses.

Come exam time one kid has the exam papers a few weeks before the exam.

The dad sends the kid to the Thai teacher's house on Saturdays, buys the exam papers, then pays the private English tutor to do all the English exam papers with him for the few weeks coming up to the exams.

Kid is in Grade 2. :)

On the economics, Thais often don't comprehend the idea of debt in the future. They borrow all the time with no concept of a plan to pay back. They mentally don't take responsibility but rather mentally perceive that they can always get bailed out by another close relative or friend. Thais run personal Ponzi schemes. So the idea that they may owe someone 200,000 for a 10,000/month job doesn't entire their brain from the standpoint of 2 and 2 make four. They never budget, it's always on the fly, they see only the immediate objective and never comprehend the obligation, responsibility or accountability pf the debt.

Is that why I see so many shiny pick ups parked outside of extremely poor accommodation? Also, I guess why the secoNd hand market has been flooded with cars after the scheme right?

I think there is truth in what you say, don't want to admit though, its very scary.

Just the way it is. The family thinks it's a "WOW"................sad.png

On the economics, Thais often don't comprehend the idea of debt in the future. They borrow all the time with no concept of a plan to pay back. They mentally don't take responsibility but rather mentally perceive that they can always get bailed out by another close relative or friend. Thais run personal Ponzi schemes. So the idea that they may owe someone 200,000 for a 10,000/month job doesn't entire their brain from the standpoint of 2 and 2 make four. They never budget, it's always on the fly, they see only the immediate objective and never comprehend the obligation, responsibility or accountability pf the debt.

Is that why I see so many shiny pick ups parked outside of extremely poor accommodation? Also, I guess why the secoNd hand market has been flooded with cars after the scheme right?

I think there is truth in what you say, don't want to admit though, its very scary.

That is all a part of the bubble that is going to come down crashing about their ears. Second hand cars are still way too expensive. Don't worry, the HiSo will be ok.