Cops to crackdown on illegal Bangkok nightlife

Jonathan Fairfield

the soi cowboy type

it is time to clean up thailand

Sorry, what does that mean? Like which clubs do you consider "the Soi Cowboy type"- I'm not being deliberately stupid here, I just don't understand what you mean by that- which clubs specifically?

Why try to "clean up" or change Thailand when we all came here and love it for what it is and has been? Because someone thinks it is "dirty"?? Part of Freedom is allowing people to pursue what they wish as long as they bring no harm to others. If you don't like it, don't participate.

Because,

they want more Convention traffic and more condo's

they also want to raise themselves, and get rid of entirely, everything you say you came here for,

when in reality, that real estate is worth far more than drunks, dancers and bar girls

thailand wants to grow up,

they arent making jack squat from you,

and want you to go home

Thanks, but sorry, you don't have a clue of what I contribute to Thailand. If they wanted to change all that, they could easily do it in a day. Thailand is already "raised" and regarded well above most any other Country, in my opinion. Awesome Culture, Tradition, People and way of life. People enjoy Freedom. People didn't come here for what it may become some distant day, they came for what it is! You must be right because in Buriram and places where there is no nightlife the Real Estate prices and Tourism are skyrocketing, ay? Hate to tell you but the most expensive Real Estate is on places like Bang La Road.. You seem very self-righteous in knowing exactly what "they" want and who they want to go home. If you don't like it the way it is, you can order a taxi at this moment. What are you waiting for or why haven't you left already? As many on the thread have mentioned, it won't change, and if it does, surely Tourism will be nearly nil. Many of us Love Thailand for being Thailand, why try to change it to become Western like and ridden with stupid laws?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I meant, in the shadows, at night, hidden from sight,

the old and rich thai way

not the blasting discos

And why is that a good thing? Sure, roadside bars make a lot of noise and mess but which specific "blasting discos" do you think are an issue?

the soi cowboy type

it is time to clean up thailand

The article is refers to late closing times, not the types of bars, the sex industry or "cleaning up" Thailand as you seem to think it needs. Thailand is not "dirty," it only seems you inject this perspective from your self-righteousness into the article.. Many people love Discos.. Is there some problem with having them? Many also enjoy Soi Cowboy, so why would you object or want to interfere with their enjoyment? I find it a shame that people disrespect the Thai way of life and have to always input what they "believe" to be "correctness in living." I surely hope they expand the hours at the meeting to accommodate those of us who like nightlife late into the night. :)

@scarpolo

You seem a bit confused - the article is about cracking down on out of hours bars and clubs across the board- not the sex industry (of which the Thais themselves make up the majority of users).

Wouldn't normally ask this but have you actually been to Bangkok before? you don't seem to know

much about what you're commenting on.

not confused at all, and I didnt mix the two,

you did

Apologies, can you explain what you mean by "Soi Cowboy style" after hours clubs? like the names of them? because it's a weird concept that doesn't fit with the after hours clubs I know, but I might just be misunderstanding.

I'm not getting the link to real estate and after hours bars either. go go bars and adult entertainment districts, sure, but not where after hours bars are.

I didnt frequent them, so I really do not know,

but a fine example is Rachatapizeck, (spelling)

there are large clubs with parking lots there, that are on the footprint of a 50 story condo and restaurant complex

I have never seen them open, so I cannot even tell you if they are still in business or not

The goal of the city, is to raise its image and be more appealing to the Chinese and their families

you need only see that the restrictions for China and Japan are being lowered, whereas they are not, for anyone else

Yeah, okay, I agree with the bit about you not knowing at least... the article is about a crackdown on illegal unlicensed after hours bars and clubs, not profitable licensed venues. And I don't know where the whole topic of sex workers comes into that, or indeed what Soi Cowboy has to do with anything. Like when you talk about how "they have american guidance, and, they have an expanding FBI here now too

they mean to clean it up, and they will,

that sex workers will have to back home, or go inside, is not their problem "

- which is irrelevant to the crackdown on clubs and pubs which operate outwith their agreed license, and also has the weird assumption that either the majority of sex trade in Bangkok is for foreigners (which is of course nonsense) or that the Thai authorities are seeking the help of the Americans in stopping Thai citizens from visiting adult bars and parlours. Which is also nonsense. And all of which is totally irrelevant to the article. I'm going to read between the lines here and guess that you must be an American to be making such statements. And that you probably don't live in Bangkok. But I might be totally wrong, you might a German who's lived here for decades and can happily produce an article about how the FBI are helping clean up the city, and I'll cheerfully eat my hat and have had learnt something new.

But this isn't a new thing- it happens every few years ago. And like the usual crackdowns, they are circular. Someone new moves in, there's a shake up, a crackdown, sometimes the guy who was collecting the bribe will be replaced by another guy, and everything continues on.

• Like 1

Wish I could have taken odds on how long it took for the forum "wizards" to exercise their keen perception and speculate on a police corruption angle.coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Do you disagree? Do you think there is no corruption angle and this is really all about cleaning up the streets? Perhaps you can get off the fence and enlighten the wizards on your view.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thailand is becoming more like the west everyday, Fines and restrictions always increased, If the authorities dont watch out they wont have a tourism industry as people could have more fun in their home countries.

Nothing much has changed in 30 years in Thailand. And the tourists still flock to Thailand and always will. Your completely wrong.

I'd have to agree with Shirtless.. the main point he made being "if".. and when.. it is happening, slowly but surely.. as i see it, crackdown on nightlife, which is why many tourists come here, will surely diminish. If they held true to the 1:00 close times, I'd bet tourism would slow to almost non-existent. Many come here because of the Freedom which seems to exist. Why put any curfew on adults, if the aren't infringing on the peace of others? I am nocturnal and if they imposed this with an iron fist, i would be on the next flight..

Thailand needs to clean up its act. They need to clamp down on illegal bars, prostitutes and drugs. The only people who i can imagine would defend the status quo are those who frequent these places and make use of them.

if this is you then bon voyage, Thailand doesn't want you anymore.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thailand is becoming more like the west everyday, Fines and restrictions always increased, If the authorities dont watch out they wont have a tourism industry as people could have more fun in their home countries.

Nothing much has changed in 30 years in Thailand. And the tourists still flock to Thailand and always will. Your completely wrong.

I'd have to agree with Shirtless.. the main point he made being "if".. and when.. it is happening, slowly but surely.. as i see it, crackdown on nightlife, which is why many tourists come here, will surely diminish. If they held true to the 1:00 close times, I'd bet tourism would slow to almost non-existent. Many come here because of the Freedom which seems to exist. Why put any curfew on adults, if the aren't infringing on the peace of others? I am nocturnal and if they imposed this with an iron fist, i would be on the next flight..

Thailand needs to clean up its act. They need to clamp down on illegal bars, prostitutes and drugs. The only people who i can imagine would defend the status quo are those who frequent these places and make use of them.

if this is you then bon voyage, Thailand doesn't want you anymore.

You're on the wrong thread buddy. This one is about late night, illegal after hours opening.

• Like 1

You want tourist but asked them go back to sleep 12 p.m like Cinderella , fun just begin 10.00 p.m - 11.00 p.m main income for district office post to make extra, why silly politician make such laws many vibrate cities like Hong Kong ,Singapore and Kuala Lumpur which never sleep, leave the adult alone as long as not children under 18 roaming after 10.00 p.m that is fine.

Such control makes more illegal discos and pubs, which you can see in dark lane but many people walking in and out.

The demand is there the government should collect more taxes if let them operate legally and in other ways.

The Police have everything to gain by issuing these utterances. Non of the money generated by enforcement ends up in government coffers. The police are on the take and the corruption is from the top to the bottom. Having a law enforcement uniform, is like having a key to the kingdoms jewels.

Unfortunately as the expense goes up, it just gets past down to the end user. Thailand is no longer a cheap destination. Unless the global economy really takes off, the poor businesses might find themselves closing down one after the other. Wonder who the Police will victimise next???

No, what you mean is, ' if they shut down what Thailand is infamous for, the sex tourism will decline'. So, given that Thailand has very little else to offer than overpriced beaches. They invited you to partake, and now, once again, they're pulling the sex'n'booze rug from under your feet laugh.png

they want Chinese and Far Eastern business and commerce, and their families

they no longer want pensioners and back packers

they will also become smarter on real estate taxes

they have american guidance, and, they have an expanding FBI here now too

that sex workers will have to back home, or go inside, is not their problem

Just wondering, where did "they" state that they don't want pensioners, backpackers, etc? Happen to have a link? American guidance would be a HUGE mistake. Nightlife in America is almost non-existent now. Thailand is booming while America is in a MAJOR Depression. America now has 50 million people on food stamps and 20 million people unemployed (the highest amount EVER) It also has the largest Prison population on the planet and that's not even per capita. They have armed Police in almost every bar every night. Doesn't sound like the Land of the Free to me.. It's the last thing they should mimic. I am American and know a bit about what is really going on there. They've already told America where to stuff their GMO's.. Time to tell America to stop shipping over their fluoride, spying on the world and all their other high ideals.

Edited by enjoybeing

I don't understand why they close doors so early?

Do they have "lock in" sessions? wink.png

Some places do. I know of a few places that if I am there at 1:55 (5 minutes before cowboy closes) and I am about I can drink for as long as I want. There are the same places in Nana, Sukhumvit, Khao San, Silom, or Khon Kaen. It is about how well you know a place and how well it knows you :)

No, what you mean is, ' if they shut down what Thailand is infamous for, the sex tourism will decline'. So, given that Thailand has very little else to offer than overpriced beaches. They invited you to partake, and now, once again, they're pulling the sex'n'booze rug from under your feet laugh.png

they want Chinese and Far Eastern business and commerce, and their families

they no longer want pensioners and back packers

they will also become smarter on real estate taxes

they have american guidance, and, they have an expanding FBI here now too

that sex workers will have to back home, or go inside, is not their problem

Just wondering, where did "they" state that they don't want pensioners, backpackers, etc? Happen to have a link? American guidance would be a HUGE mistake. Nightlife in America is almost non-existent now. Thailand is booming while America is in a MAJOR Depression. America now has 50 million people on food stamps and 20 million people unemployed (the highest amount EVER) It also has the largest Prison population on the planet and that's not even per capita. They have armed Police in almost every bar every night. Doesn't sound like the Land of the Free to me.. It's the last thing they should mimic. I am American and know a bit about what is really going on there. They've already told America where to stuff their GMO's.. Time to tell America to stop shipping over their fluoride, spying on the world and all their other high ideals.

it doesnt matter how many people are on food stamps in the US

as much of that is a voting bribe scheme

the fact is the US is booming again, and so is all of the americas

there will always be poor, but it will never be as bad as thailand

thailand is poor, and while it continues to have the reputation of being an open air whore house, all it wil attract, is scum

Of course the police will be more than happy to enforce early closures --- because that means more people going to the temporary bars set up along Sukhumvit -- and those are the ones that pay directly to the cops on the streets for the "business permits" to operate "legally."

Expect to see a lot more tricked-out imported trucks being driving by local police in the near future if this gets implemented. thumbsup.gif

Thailand...

the "Hub" of bullshit announcements.

the Bangkok BiB only crack down on nightclubs etc when they want more money.

them "REALLY" cracking down would be like an extortionist shooting his victim in the head(can't get any money then)

I'm sorry,I'm not usually so negative,and am by no means a "Thai Hater",but sometimes I just want to grab some of these smiling little liars by the collar and slap the "face" off them(of course I'd be deader than a doornail if I did something so foolish!),but sometimes "Lieland" can get to you.

*ahem* /rant over.whistling.gif

/cut,sorry had to cut some of the quotes.

thailand is poor, and while it continues to have the reputation of being an open air whore house, all it wil attract, is scum

the US is booming?

are you on drugs?

the only thing American thing booming are Predator drones attacking kids.

The country is bollixed,the Roman Empire is falling again,the only thing making money is war,

and when you have a huge standing army,you NEED war,

Hence the "America,F-uck yeah" "World Police" stance of the government and the general "lets attack everybody!,get our retaliation in first!" attitude.

jesus christ,so many Americans whine about the world hating them nowadays,

with self delusion like that it's no wonder.

here,have a slap of reality...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370199/Detroit-Haunting-photos-crumbling-remains-highlight-decline-Motor-City.html

quote "

Almost a third of the city's 140 square miles is vacant or derelict.

Portraits by French photographers Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre show the breathtaking decline of once-proud buildings - allowed to rot and crumble from a former glory.

It looks more like a Hollywood film's futuristic vision of a post-apocalyptic world, than a 21st century American city.

The decay does not discriminate, public entertainment venues such as cinemas lie in ruins alongside banks and medical centres.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Photos+Detroit+shocking+portrait+bankrupt+city/8870388/story.html

and I haven't even bothered to post pictures of the state of New Orleans...

By the way,if you live in Thailand you just called yourself scum,

if you don't...then how do you know it's an "open air whorehouse"?

I'd apologise for being so belligerent(it's not how I usually am) but your post is just so typical of the "grand delusion" that it set me off a little.

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne
  • Like 1

/cut,sorry had to cut some of the quotes.

the US is booming?

are you on drugs?

the only thing American thing booming are Predator drones attacking kids.

The country is bollixed,the Roman Empire is falling again,the only thing making money is war,

and when you have a huge standing army,you NEED war,

Hence the "America,F-uck yeah" "World Police" stance of the government and the general "lets attack everybody!,get our retaliation in first!" attitude.

jesus christ,so many Americans whine about the world hating them nowadays,

with self delusion like that it's no wonder.

here,have a slap of reality...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370199/Detroit-Haunting-photos-crumbling-remains-highlight-decline-Motor-City.html

quote "

Almost a third of the city's 140 square miles is vacant or derelict.

Portraits by French photographers Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre show the breathtaking decline of once-proud buildings - allowed to rot and crumble from a former glory.

It looks more like a Hollywood film's futuristic vision of a post-apocalyptic world, than a 21st century American city.

The decay does not discriminate, public entertainment venues such as cinemas lie in ruins alongside banks and medical centres.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Photos+Detroit+shocking+portrait+bankrupt+city/8870388/story.html

and I haven't even bothered to post pictures of the state of New Orleans...

By the way,if you live in Thailand you just called yourself scum,

if you don't...then how do you know it's an "open air whorehouse"?

I'd apologise for being so belligerent(it's not how I usually am) but your post is just so typical of the "grand delusion" that it set me off a little.

no worries,

I left Bangkok a month ago after being there 6 months, with a few stops in Chiang Mai.

The area I live has seen tremendous building,

Miami Beach is booming,

the outlying cities are bustling

dont believe statistics, they are for uneducated voters,

NYC is also bustling as is LA, SF, the major centers of American civilization, have massive turnover, and velocity of money is increasing here,

it is also in Thailand, just visit any mall, but they are thriving on American labels

that the farm areas and older manufacturing cities are closing up shop means little

the stock market at 16,000 is a real indicator of money flowing to the US,

a 4 trillion balance sheet on the Fed, is also, meaningless

trade deficits are shrinking, fracking will strengthen the dollar as the currentn account deficit shrinks too

the US dollar still reigns supreme and there is little russia, china, brazil and india can do

face it,

it is the only game in town

Edited by Scarpolo

I gotta be honest with you Scarpolo,

I was actually going to delete my post to you,as I try not to be a "Thaivisa Grumpster"TM,

but you answered so politely that I am simply going to doff my imaginary hat to you and leave you to it,

just get a few survival courses under your belt(and learn Chinese wai2.gif cause BOY are they kicking you asses) for when that illusion collapses and your country winds up looking like the set of "the book of Eli"

good luck,enjoy it while it lasts.

Lets agree to disagree.

• Like 2

I gotta be honest with you Scarpolo,

I was actually going to delete my post to you,as I try not to be a "Thaivisa Grumpster"TM,

but you answered so politely that I am simply going to doff my imaginary hat to you and leave you to it,

just get a few survival courses under your belt(and learn Chinese wai2.gif cause BOY are they kicking you asses) for when that illusion collapses and your country winds up looking like the set of "the book of Eli"

good luck,enjoy it while it lasts.

Lets agree to disagree.

the problem is, the US goes down this road with their creditos every few decades,

in the 1980's, it was the Japanese, who were buying up America, and all was lost, and they were soon going to win WW2 all over again,

in the 1970's, it was the Saudi's

now it is the Chinese,

big deal,

they are dependant on us, and it is the history of the US, to continue this way.

the dollar losing its value?

not here

This is business as usual, happened many times before. Sometimes they really crack down like in 2001/02 and kill the nightlife and the stop over tourist numbers somewhat but after a while it just goes back to what it was.

Not sure what the American gigolo is going on about waving the flag here lol , the US is a basket case living on borrowed time propped up by printed billions and massive debt... it all has to unwind at some point.

• Like 1

I may be being very naive here, but is there not a reasonable possibiity that when this guy's proposals are put to the Cabinet for approval they may decide that this is not a great time to p**s people off. Despite the intense discussion here these proposals will affect the Thais far more than foreigners; after all it's the Thai hangouts that stay open till 6 or 8 am. I recall that a few months back some busybody stated his intention of putting an end to all roadside alcohol sales. The last we heard of that was that the Cabinet had no spare time on the agenda to discuss the matter. I would guess that Yingluck has more important things to attend to than stopping her countrymen having a good time. However I may be wrong; we shall see.