US to consider clemency requests from thousands of prisoners

webfact

US to consider clemency requests from thousands of prisoners
Sari Horwitz

Washington: The Obama administration is beginning an aggressive new effort to foster equity in criminal sentencing by considering clemency requests from as many as thousands of federal inmates serving time for drug offences, officials said.

The initiative, which amounts to an unprecedented campaign to free non-violent offenders, will begin immediately and continue over the next two years, officials said on Monday. The Justice Department said it expects to reassign dozens of lawyers to its understaffed pardons office to handle the requests from inmates.

"The White House has indicated it wants to consider additional clemency applications, to restore a degree of justice, fairness and proportionality for deserving individuals who do not pose a threat to public safety," Attorney General Eric Holder said on Monday. "The Justice Department is committed to recommending as many qualified applicants as possible for reduced sentences."

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/us-to-consider-clemency-requests-from-thousands-of-prisoners-20140422-zqxpx.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-04-22

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot believe I am agreeing on something Obama is doing This is long overdue and I have never understood why they throw someone in jail for drug use

That person needs rehab not jail . Dealers deserve long terms but someone not considered a threat to anyone but themselves should not be jailed

Well it looks like 1 for Obama and 99 for the other guys

• Like 1

I am saying there is something wrong with a society where such a large percentage of the population (especially the minority group part) is in prison compared to other countries. It is shocking really. Is the USA a police state or a beacon of freedom? The incarceration rates would suggest the former, sadly!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/americas/23iht-23prison.12253738.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

U.S. prison population dwarfs that of other nations By Adam Liptak Published: Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

Indeed, the United States leads the world in producing prisoners, a reflection of a relatively recent and now entirely distinctive American approach to crime and punishment. Americans are locked up for crimes — from writing bad checks to using drugs — that would rarely produce prison sentences in other countries. And in particular they are kept incarcerated far longer than prisoners in other nations.

Beacon of freedom for those who chose not to break the law. True?

As for sentence times well that's another story. I get some may be harshly sent away for lengthy periods. Fair enough. The 3 strikes rule in some US states has proven itself to be obscenely excessive on occasions.

The story of the homeless guy that got life for his 3rd offence which was stealing a piece of pizza made news in Australia.

http://disinfo.com/2013/04/how-a-man-was-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-for-stealing-a-pair-of-socks/

But, what you are describing and what Obama is saying are 2 different stories. He's doing it to save money. You feel sorry for them cause it was non violent, of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

• Like 1

Lots of these sentences for the crimes described are far to severe.

The cost also to the US govt must be heavy. This is probably one of the reasons for this move.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<p>

I am saying there is something wrong with a society where such a large percentage of the population (especially the minority group part) is in prison compared to other countries. It is shocking really. Is the USA a police state or a beacon of freedom? The incarceration rates would suggest the former, sadly!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/americas/23iht-23prison.12253738.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

U.S. prison population dwarfs that of other nations By Adam Liptak Published: Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

Indeed, the United States leads the world in producing prisoners, a reflection of a relatively recent and now entirely distinctive American approach to crime and punishment. Americans are locked up for crimes from writing bad checks to using drugs that would rarely produce prison sentences in other countries. And in particular they are kept incarcerated far longer than prisoners in other nations.

Beacon of freedom for those who chose not to break the law. True?

As for sentence times well that's another story. I get some may be harshly sent away for lengthy periods. Fair enough. The 3 strikes rule in some US states has proven itself to be obscenely excessive on occasions.

The story of the homeless guy that got life for his 3rd offence which was stealing a piece of pizza made news in Australia.

http://disinfo.com/2013/04/how-a-man-was-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-for-stealing-a-pair-of-socks/

But, what you are describing and what Obama is saying are 2 different stories. He's doing it to save money. You feel sorry for them cause it was non violent, of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

He is not doing it to save money. This is a racial disparity issue dealing with sentencing guidelines for crack cocaine. One has to wonder whether this would even be on Obama or Holder's radar but for the racial undertones and the likes of Sharpton et al trying to make the crack sentencing guidelines racial.

Crack is a dangerous drug and was graded according to the danger it poses. Sentencing guidelines in federal court ensure that those commiting the same offenses receive the same sentence regardless of race.

The racial issue arose from those saying crack should not be sentenced more harshly than powder and crack was graded differently because more minorities use crack than powder.

<p>

I am saying there is something wrong with a society where such a large percentage of the population (especially the minority group part) is in prison compared to other countries. It is shocking really. Is the USA a police or a beqcon of freedom?

[/size][/font][/color]

Its a beacon of freedom for everyone that wants to be a law-abiding contributing member of society.

As for minorities being misrepresented, I don't know why African Americans are shooting each other all the time. Can you tell us why?

Cheers

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mercy on the criminal = injustice for the victims. But hen the criminals look like Obama's sons...yes, they will walk the streets again/

Errr. What victims? We are talking about people convicted of the recreational use of drugs.

Not exactly.

We are talking about drug offenders who did not also commit violent acts. That does not rule out convictions for theft...and other crimes that do have victims.

Crack cocaine was a scourge on the inner-city communities. Being sent to jail was a method to break the cycle.

Drug treatment centers work for people who are motivated to quit but the recidivism rate in these inner city communities was very high.

Better late than never, I guess. Amazing how many people get locked up for victimless crimes.

Crack use leads to crime at an extraordinarily high rate. When working for the courts, most of the senseless murders (ii.e., over a chicken wing), aggravated assaults and murders involving mutilated bodies I saw involved perps high on crack and meth. People also steal at high rates to support habbit as most crack addicts do not hold jobs.

The stiff crack penalties worked. Statistics showed that certain crimes such as homocide and burglary dropped as crack use declined.

Crack is a very devastating drug to society, much worse than any other drug except maybe meth. Opiates, pot and etc. are incredibly benign to society when compared to crack.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

Better late than never, I guess. Amazing how many people get locked up for victimless crimes.

You should really do some research before making such blatantly incorrect statements.

Where do you come up with this stuff about "victimless crimes"?

Its not correct.

Now there were genuine problems with minimum sentencing and mandatory sentencing guidelines that resulted in sentences far beyond what a judge would have wanted to order. Frequently a judge, knowing that the mandatory sentence had to stick would dismiss all other charges related to the arrest--these charges were frequently theft to fuel the drug habit.

Furthermore, if you were to actually research beyond this article you would find out many of these people were incarcerated for distribution--which is not the same thing as recreational drug user and which DOES have victims.

Please research a bit...google is your friend.

Edited by ClutchClark

A couple of good things for the administration.

This will add some new enrollees to Obamacare and will cost more money for the taxpayers.

It will also get some fresh blood back into the electoral cycle for the Democratic party, just in time for Hillary.

Well, well...I have to say this article is a refreshing site. The economics of holding prisoners for even one year would blow your mind. Something like 60,000 on average and up to 80,000 dollars in some facilities. That is per inmante. Not only that but I think over 50% of prisoners in jail for drug offenses in the US are related to marijuana, which is rapidly being decriminalized or completely legalized by states nationwide. In Colorado, they just started using ganja vending machines. I worked in D.C. as an engineer for the US gov't and I was just talking to a friend today that lives there and she told me it had been decriminalized there and if you are harrassed for it, i is only a 25 dollar fine now. In my opinion, all non-violent marijuana convictions should be over turned and these inmates granted clemency. I cannot wait to see how much this saves the tax payers.

• Like 1

Just proves Obama is a "Dope Head"

No it doesn't...<flame removed>. 3 out of 4 of Americans support the decriminalization and/or legalization of marijuana now. Fairly large majority which is how the politicians keep their jobs. The last I checked the US was founded on the belief of "For the people, by the people". Obama is receiving tons of pressure from the state governments who are legalizing it which is in conflict of Federal law. Now, we still have the age old argument of state rights vs federal rights and this has become a beacon of that discussion for modern day. Obama isn't a dopehead you moron. Aren't the Republicans the ones who always say the Feds should be smaller and the Dems push for larger federal government? He is actually siding with the states rights argument and allowing states to do as they see fit, which is a Republican stance...hmmmm...interesting.

Edited by metisdead
Flame edited out of post.
  • Like 2

A couple of good things for the administration.

This will add some new enrollees to Obamacare and will cost more money for the taxpayers.

It will also get some fresh blood back into the electoral cycle for the Democratic party, just in time for Hillary.

I guess we need to compare the 60,000-80,000 US dollars it costs to house 1 inmate per year VS 1 year of Obamacare costs. I bet prison is more expensive. Secondly, I am not sure if the Clemency Boards are going to be able to hear all of those cases in time...lol. There is a long and arduous process and is not a Federal process. Each state has it's own processes for it. Just because an ex-felon is pardoned it doesn't mean their rights are restored. They were still convicted of a crime in the past. They have to go before the governor/president and two cabinet members from the state must sign it. He can't wave a wand and felons can vote. Trust me, they won't be voting in the 2016 election. Even if they could, they don't fot the typical demographic of the meager 45% of eligible voters in the U.S. who actually DO exercise their right. Bush must have really been bad though because for the first time in a long time the voter turn out was over 70% for the Obama election. I am not a Democrat either my friend, but fair is fair.

Edited by geoman1976

This is a great thing being done by the Obama administration.clap2.gif Sooner would have been better, but it's a step forward. The percentage of Americans, especially minority group Americans, in prison for NON-VIOLENT crimes is a national scandal and source of shame.

It is posts like this when I wish we had the option to give more than one Like!!

Any one who opposes the Obama administration's decision to provide clemency to

Deserving, Non Violent ,drug offender, prisoners, simply does not understand, the situation in the US prison system, where thousands of young man and woman are wasting away, simply because of youthful indiscretions. or for being in the wrong place at the wrong time

Or if they do understand the situation, are suffering from a serious deficit of compassion.

Amen brother!!!

• Like 1

Makes one wonder...if color...is the overriding factor in reviewing these cases...

I don't know if color was the overriding factor if the review of these cases but I will tell you this. Color had a lot to do with their sentencing,

Here is an article describing the situation by the very liberal Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324432004578304463789858002

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2