What's the best way for Canadian Dude and Thai Woman to Migrate to Canada?

I am 34, teacher. She's 29. High School diploma. Works in a clothing shop.

We are not married, but 95% sure we are going to do that. We have never visited Canada, so somewhat reluctant to get married without her ever having seen Canada, however, I am willing to make that leap if that makes things significantly easier with the migration process.

I have lived here for three years and plan to return in 2 years, hopefully with my partner.

We are working on her English and we plan to enrol her in a one year college course if we can get back to Canada.

We have two years to work with before I move back, so what is my best route?

(pay a lawyer or do-it-yourself? TRV, or PRV? marriage here or there?)

I am so stressed.....

any advice immensely appreciated

If your lady wants to see Canada before any commitment, I suggest you plan to get her a 6 month visitor visa and let her have a look. If she likes it there you can get married in Canada while she is on a visitor visa then register the marriage in Thailand. I did it that way.Do the application yourself. Very easy and saves you a lot of money. If you decide to marry in Canada she will have to take the necessary documents. - birth certificate, proof of being single etc. If she decides she wants to stay in Canada, you can apply for permanent residency while in Canada.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In BC I think 3 months, but that is if one has all the right paperwork landed immigrate status etc.

She really needs to see and live in Canada before making any decision. As you know Thais are very family oriented and being away from home maybe difficult especially if there are no other Thai people around.

The same as you moving to a small village in Isaan, where it is 30 below and no other expats/TV/foreign food/etc.

For the legal stuff I believe Canada will grant her an "engagement" visa for exactly your purpose. She gets 6 months but has to return home if during the six months she decides not to marry you. Best to visit the Embassy and ask. She will have to go to the Embassy for an interview.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2