Thai opinion: Reasons why a government may not be necessary

webfact

"We'll give it a shot. We're half way there. Livin' on a prayer. Take my hand and we'll make it, I swear."
- Bon Jovi, Livin' on a Prayer

When I look around, I see most people Livin' on Credit.

Switch off all the traffic lights in Bangkok and the traffic will still flow. In many places it will be no worse than with the traffic lights functioning. Even the sporadic gridlocks clear up during the night.

After a while, someone gets the bright idea to set up a toll gate to manage the flow. This is not very popular so needs security - welcome to the start of a new government.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What a doozy this character is, just means the military will run the country once more.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Seems so.

What a doozy this character is, just means the military will run the country once more.

Or a.n.other. + academics - farang protesters.laugh.png We know about corrupt practices, we can fix that in 1 week.

The Nation.

The yellow shirt bible.

Nothing bias in any of it's reporting .

Who needs a government when you've got the peoples medium who going to solve all of Thailands problems.

Like the first two words thai opinion ! So even through they put out those bias polls now we have one guy who knows and writes about thai opinion.

Keep it up and next time can you add a picture of something or someone that has nothing to do with you stories anyway.

Thai opinion my............

I agree, i see no change here (udon) I think the thais are ideal for a state of no central govenrment, they are anarchists in the way they operate watch a thai driver, queues or lack of ,

the police are not really policing they apply the laws or dont to suit the situation

big c staff are just as helpful as they have always been

the thai government has been in suspended aniimation since Nov last year so no big spending projects most of which run into problems

the state of the baht is weaker but no big change and is probably due to the dollar not being printed , no big debts, gdp down but still above most european countries

unemployment low

one of the highest % spends in the world on education

at least one party a week in local villages

most resort cabins in asia

can waste water in the middle of a drought

can waste water per se

can do what u want when u want

can bet on number of gove plate when somone is maimed in an accident

can drink whiskey ,play cards

can borrow money from local government to drink whisky and play cards

cant get much better can it ?

• Like 2

Switch off all the traffic lights in Bangkok and the traffic will still flow. In many places it will be no worse than with the traffic lights functioning. Even the sporadic gridlocks clear up during the night.

After a while, someone gets the bright idea to set up a toll gate to manage the flow. This is not very popular so needs security - welcome to the start of a new government.

Did you ever notice that wherever traffic is truly snarled is where there are traffic police?

• Like 1

Journalism here in Thailand really is abissmal.....!!

This person doesn't have the intelligence level to understand what he/she is writing......very dissapointing really...and being an English site, tries to get the reading public down to his level.....

Anyway......military rule or dictatorship come to mind to start with......

Anyone who thinks that traffic would be better without lights should have been here when there were traffic circles, practically no lights and it could take 2 hours to get from Sathorn to Wong Wien Yai

But think of the bright side...no more visa runs, no more 90 day reports, no visas needed, no taxes, and no getting stopped by police. On the other hand be ready to help your neighbor or risk a shooting war, because nothing you have will be yours to keep if someone else wants it. And there will be no place where you can complain....except here of course.

The conclusion of this article - to do away with government - can be comically viewed as being even more impractical than the present situation, and can as such be easily dismissed. Having said that, the enumerated points the writer makes - as he cites all the areas of wanton neglect now present - is hard to argue with. He paints a pretty accurate portrait of it all going amok. The level of corruption that he infers is also hard to disagree with. And it is also hard to disagree with the point that any administration outside of the present one would be absent these inequalities. So the problem with this article is that although it paints an all too accurate portrait of the political reality, the antidote to it is frivolous. Though it also must be said that when much of an article is full of insight, one can forgive the absence of it elsewhere.

• Like 1

I agree, i see no change here (udon) I think the thais are ideal for a state of no central govenrment, they are anarchists in the way they operate watch a thai driver, queues or lack of ,

the police are not really policing they apply the laws or dont to suit the situation

big c staff are just as helpful as they have always been

the thai government has been in suspended aniimation since Nov last year so no big spending projects most of which run into problems

the state of the baht is weaker but no big change and is probably due to the dollar not being printed , no big debts, gdp down but still above most european countries

unemployment low

one of the highest % spends in the world on education

at least one party a week in local villages

most resort cabins in asia

can waste water in the middle of a drought

can waste water per se

can do what u want when u want

can bet on number of gove plate when somone is maimed in an accident

can drink whiskey ,play cards

can borrow money from local government to drink whisky and play cards

cant get much better can it ?

nope and that's why we love the place so much lol...

This guy's hypothetical blundering, stumbling, and deep intellectual thought is pontificating that Thais can get by without a government.

Who do you think actually runs the country?

The government?

The civil service?

That the civil service can run the country without a government as has been seen in the last 5 months.

Could the government actually do anything without the civil service functioning?

Not a chance in hell.

This government can't even run itself let alone a country.

A few examples. The Finance Ministry stops work, NO government officials get paid, no taxes are collected and no bills get paid.

The immigration Police stop work and every international airport and every border crossing shuts. Nobody gets in or out of the country.

Customs and Excise stop work. NO imports of exports happen. No tax is collected.

The Thai police stop work and nobody notices except people can't pay bribe any more.

If the government stops work nobody really notices either BUT the country still keeps running.

You still believe that Thailand can't exist without a government?

Well they have been for 5 months.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

Government as in parliament is for the most part not needed.

However competent cabinet ministers, separate from elected politicians are really needed to oversee the ministries.

Give them a mandate of honesty, efficiency and doing away with corruption and things would improve.

The present (caretaker) cabinet is mostly made up of those who have been given the job as some sort of reward for services rendered and not for any expertise in the job they were given, couple that with the revolving chair aspect, 6 reshuffles in 2 years, and you get incomatents trying to get as much for themselves before they are replaced with the next "best man for the job".

With an appointed cabinet (it is appointed anyway) of uncorrupt as possible people who know what they are doing and each ministry responsible for proposing policy and producing audited budgets then there is little need for a parliament other than as a rubber stamp for said policy and budgets, with of course a senate as an overall check.

Let the politicians have their election then sit them in their flash building with their expensive clocks and coffee tables and air con in the garbage room, let them argue and fight, throw chairs and shoes at each other, hand them the important bits of paper to sign then otherwise ignore them.

• Like 1

i'm beginning to think journalists may not be necessary in Thailand.

Define "journalist" .

In 2014 definition -is someone with a keyboard who is more willing than a prostitute to assume impossible position in return for money -IMHO